or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Phil Schiller expected to increasingly become Apple's 'public face'

Phil Schiller expected to increasingly become Apple's 'public face' - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Edit: have to say I'm loving the smackdown Phil Schiller is giving to Rogue Amoeba today. :)))

I have been a Rogue user for many years. I like their stuff quite a lot but they do tend to live close to the legal edge.

When AirPlay was first demoed there were quickly published code example how to access the APIs. I think anyone should be able to use those APIs as well as the AirPrint APIs  and FaceTime both of which they promised to open but never did.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
When AirPlay was first demoed there were quickly published code example how to access the APIs. I think anyone should be able to use those APIs as well as the AirPrint APIs  and FaceTime both of which they promised to open but never did.

I wonder if iOS 6 will include a line like, "AirPlay everything, everywhere." or something.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
The current crop -- Forstall included -- are below-par presenters. They come through as nice guys in front of an audience, but convey no great sense of passion, timing, irony, impishness, or humor.

I can do it. Honestly. I've legitimately RDF'd more than a few people. I can do the presenting. Of course I'll probably have to have some sort of other credential to be there… Maybe I have one left… 

You can introduce the 16:9 iPhone 5 and the Apple television set and iPhone mini and Mac mini-tower.

post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post
You can introduce the 16:9 iPhone 5.

… I'm taking a preemptive six month medical leave.

post #45 of 75

It will be a team effort. Tim will do the intro, Phil will introduce the new Macs, and Scott will introduce iOS 6. If for some reason Scott doesn't introduce iOS 6, we will know for sure he is on the outer. Maybe Federighi will do a Mountain Lion update. 

post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I'm not sure about this. I've only started using Apple products since 2009 with the iPhone 3G, now the proud owner of a 4S, but I've seen the keynotes and if I had to rank the presenters, I'd say the go like this:

1) Steve Jobs, I see what they mean by the reality distortion field.

2) Scott Forstall, I think his iOS 5 presentation was brilliant and the closest to the Steve Jobs effect I've ever seen.

3) Phil Schiller, but I don't feel like I need to buy what he's selling...

4) The Head of Internet Services guy...

What do you guys think?

Actually, nothing personal to Phil Schiller because I don't know him personally, but from a public view point, ability to engage the audience in discussing products, I think Jonathan Ives is the guy.  He can be captivating to listen to and does have the title Sir, so that might help them in the "spokesperson" for speaking engagements.  The only problem is that Ives heads up Industrial Design and Schiller heads of Worldwide Marketing and since Jobs was more of a marketing type person than a engineer type, that's probably why they are choosing Schiller because this is more of a marketing type position.  So from that standpoint it makes sense to have Schiller do it.  Tim Cook is the CEO and even though CEOs have their position, sometimes it's is better for certain engagements to let the Marketing and Engineering people do their thing when applicable.

post #47 of 75

This is good news. Schiller is a very good presenter. I like Tim Cook, too. He's been an excellent CEO and before that did an amazing job standing in for Steve Jobs while he was on medical leave. However, as far as presentations are concerned, I'd rather watch paint dry. Tim isn't exactly Mr. Excitement.

post #48 of 75
As long as they let Jony keep his public persona and give interviews and the like I'm OK if he doesn't do keynotes as Presenting is clearly not his thing. Though I get more passion from the interviews he gives then I ever get with keynotes from Cook, Schiller and crew. Or interviews with Cook for that matter. I find Tim Cook incredibly boring.
post #49 of 75

Specifications speak for themselves. If specifications do not deliver, it doesn't really matter who delivers the keynote whether it's Scott, Bob, Tim, Jony, the 1998 Denver Broncos, and so forth.

post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Specifications speak for themselves. If specifications do not deliver, it doesn't really matter who delivers the keynote…

"Hi, everyone, and welcome to Apple Inc. where everything's made up and the specs don't matter. That's right, the specs are like Android's profits to fandroids… they just don't matter."

post #51 of 75
I like Phil Schiller. It will likely be a team effort. Cook needs to present some financial and sales updates. Scott Forstall does great with his iOS stuff. Phil can be peppered here and there for anything else. He is not cool like Jobs but he does have enthusiasm. And when my 12 year old son and I watch the keynotes, big Phil gets his vote.

Cook is a presentation nightmare but he still beats Gil Amelio.

Last night I watched all Steve's appearances on D: All Things Digital with Walt. I was surprised to hear certain phrases repeated, almost word for word, over the years. But I kinda like that. His references to hollywood executives as orifices was brilliant.
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I like Phil Schiller. It will likely be a team effort. Cook needs to present some financial and sales updates. Scott Forstall does great with his iOS stuff. Phil can be peppered here and there for anything else. He is not cool like Jobs but he does have enthusiasm. And when my 12 year old son and I watch the keynotes, big Phil gets his vote.
Cook is a presentation nightmare but he still beats Gil Amelio.
Last night I watched all Steve's appearances on D: All Things Digital with Walt. I was surprised to hear certain phrases repeated, almost word for word, over the years. But I kinda like that. His references to hollywood executives as orifices was brilliant.

Well, at least they don't have Gore as Apple's spokesperson.  Oh God. he'll talk about the Information Superhighway and Global Warming until we pay him NOT to talk about it.

post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree he sometimes sounds dorky. And Scott Forstall sometimes looks downright creepy:

That's what happens from constantly staring at code for most of your life.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Hi, everyone, and welcome to Apple Inc. where everything's made up and the specs don't matter. That's right, the specs are like Android's profits to fandroids… they just don't matter."

:D

Nice "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" reference.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #55 of 75

I was impressed with Forstall the first time I saw him speak.  But since then, I've become increasingly unimpressed.  The more I see the crazed look in his eyes, the more he seems like a neurotic mess, diabolical.  He seems to me to be a person more interested in gaining power than making great products.

Phil sure comes across as a nice guy and genuinely enthused about the products, but awkward, uncomfortable in the limelight.  Tim seems the most comfortable, but kind of dry and not into the products that much.  Just my impression.

Johnny Ive has the most charisma and allure for sure.  I agree, to bad he doesn't want to present.  I don't blame him.

post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesag002 View Post

I was impressed with Forstall the first time I saw him speak.  But since then, I've become increasingly unimpressed.  The more I see the crazed look in his eyes, the more he seems like a neurotic mess, diabolical.  He seems to me to be a person more interested in gaining power than making great products.

Phil sure comes across as a nice guy and genuinely enthused about the products, but awkward, uncomfortable in the limelight.  Tim seems the most comfortable, but kind of dry and not into the products that much.  Just my impression.

Johnny Ive has the most charisma and allure for sure.  I agree, to bad he doesn't want to present.  I don't blame him.

As I've said before in so many words, in the absence of a strong, polarizing leader like Steve everyone will start to promote their own interests in a bid for more power. These are some of the biggest "type-A" people working today, so it's really not surprising.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #57 of 75

Can't remember who it was, but some French guy did the best Presentation ever at a Keynote, definitely as good as Steve Jobs, if not better on that one day. But ever since then he's been the invisible man - I guess Steve didn't like being outshone by the hired help. The French guy had passion, charm, humour, energy, in depth knowledge, the right amount of geekiness, personality, and great presentational skills. All things Schiller lacks IMO. I find I can't wait for Schiller's presentations to end so I can get on with hearing from people who know what they are talking about - sorry Phil, but you don't come across that well. You're a great marketing man, but you ain't no presenter!

post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post
Can't remember who it was, but some French guy did the best Presentation ever at a Keynote, definitely as good as Steve Jobs, if not better on that one day.

Bertrand Serlet. Former* Senior VP of Mac OS X development. He was at NeXT and had a spectacular relationship with Steve.

*And they haven't replaced him. So that tells you about OS X.

post #59 of 75
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He also earned the nickname "Dr. No," from the character James Bond, as a result of Schiller's "ruthlessly disciplined" nature when choosing and shooting down ideas for new products and features.

??? He's the Veep of Marketing not Design so why would he be doing any saying 'no' of actual products or features. That's not his job. 

Shooting down which ones they use as their marketing focus, that is 100% what he would be doing. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

What do you guys think?

I think it really doesn't matter who says what. The products are what we should care about. 

post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

:D

Nice "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" reference.

Now that would be an interesting keynote. 

"And for our final game . . . It's the patent suit hoedown."

post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
"And for our final game . . . It's the patent suit hoedown."

Well, I designed some hardware

And, yes, I was the first

All the stuff before it just

Looks like it's the worst

Now I'm being told that

All my patents are invalid

But I just laugh because my profits

Make them all look pallid.

——————————————

We're embroiled in lawsuits

Because of our IP

Apparently they don't know the

Meaning of 'property'

It's not like we're too worried

They won't do us much haahm,

Our vengeance will be swift just like

A thermonuclear bomb

Ther-mo-nuc-lear bo~mb!

Edited by Tallest Skil - 6/8/12 at 8:24pm

post #64 of 75
I will be the first to admit that this is totally petty but if he is going to be the public face of Apple, he should get that witch's mole removed. It's so damned distracting. I can't watch any video of him without hearing "mole, mole" inside my head. Shades of Austin Powers!
post #65 of 75

I do think Apple should be making more use of talents like Xander Soren, Randy Ubillos and Craig Federighi, all three have poise and charm in their own way, with Phil Schiller in overall charge. Tim Cook can do the financials and wind up the keynote.

post #66 of 75
Quote:

??? He's the Veep of Marketing not Design so why would he be doing any saying 'no' of actual products or features. That's not his job. 

Shooting down which ones they use as their marketing focus, that is 100% what he would be doing. 

What do you think marketing does?

I laugh when Apple haters (I know you aren't one) focus on Apple's marketing.  Marketing isn't just about informing customers of the value of a product.  Marketing is about determining the value of a product as well.  Marketing is about knowing your customer and understanding their needs then creating a unique, powerful value proposition that is self-evident.  While most people seem to confuse Marketing and Advertising, the ideal goal of Marketing is to create a product so compelling that Advertising is not necessary.  In my opinion, "No" is the most underused word in Marketing; most companies fail miserably in creating value for their customers because they focus on specifications rather than aesthetics, ease-of-use, and reliability.

post #67 of 75
Quote:

I swear they rehash stuff for every one of these profiles. Business Week did one of Scott Forstall a couple years ago and he was portrayed as one of Steve's closest confidants, a mini-Steve if you will.

When Tim Cook was at D10 he was asked about who the product curator was now that Steve is gone. He didn't give a very convincing answer. He basically said its constantly shifting and not to get hung up on names. But I got the distinct impression it's not him. So it could be Ive and Schiller from an overall product perspective.
post #68 of 75

You are correct it is the product that matters not the person.

post #69 of 75
Comex. He's young, personable, deeply understanding of the OS, and completely humble. Plus he started out as a hacker just like Jobs, let him be the face of Apple future.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

You are correct it is the product that matters not the person.

So who's the product guy at Apple now? The one with the power to pull the trigger and say 'release it'. Sure doesn't sound like Cook. Is it Jony? Phil?
post #71 of 75

Obviously you need charisma and presentation but I think that goes without saying. People who attend WWDC understand technology I would think, right? Naturally you don't want a guy who drones on and on however people sitting there are going go be disappointed say if they were to find out the next Mac Pro lacked Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. That's what I mean by specs speak for themselves

If people are disappointed of course then the stock price goes down, Apple loses money, shareholders are upset, etc. etc.

To me things go hand in hand. Tallest had a funny line and once I saw the "Whose Line" reference I immediately read it again in the voice of Clive Anderson.

post #72 of 75
I think they should just find another way to release new products rather than the giant keynotes.

The problem is they were iconic to Steve jobs, and now nobody can do them as well I just find myself turning off. Which makes it sad that there putting out something that just isn't good.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post
The problem is they were iconic to Steve jobs, and now nobody can do them as well…

As I said in an earlier thread (oh, hey, it was this thread), I'll take that bet.

Quote:
Which makes it sad that there putting out something that just isn't good.

The… keynote or the products?

post #74 of 75
Craig Federighi - although he's stuck in Mac software engineering
post #75 of 75
I love when Schiller does the keynotes because he announces the specs and I'm a specs freak. Yeah yeah you can't compare to Jobs but Jobs is gone. I have a ton of respect for what Jobs did though he is gone.

I said this before but the keynote was done to perfection. You have Cook announcing the sales figures blah blah blah super excited and astounded by the millions and billions of whatever and then to Schiller for the processor, SSD, graphics, all the good stuff. And you could replace it with Jony Ive or Bob Mansfeld or whoever wants to do it.

Hell they could have a celebrity with an awesome voice read it. Pay Denzel Washington enough money to announce the new Mac mini.

But anyway I especially how in Schiller's part of the keynote with the 15" retina he was using all the buzzwords. Kepler, Ivy Bridge, etc. I eat that stuff up being the geek that I am.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Phil Schiller expected to increasingly become Apple's 'public face'