or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2012 Banners depict iOS 6, OS X, iCloud as stars of the show

WWDC 2012 Banners depict iOS 6, OS X, iCloud as stars of the show

post #1 of 57
A year ago, Steve Jobs presented Apple's three technical foundations as being iOS, OS X and iCloud at the company's Worldwide Developer Conference. The company is now building upon on the same message at this year's event.

In addition to the iOS 6 banner published earlier today, workers at the WWDC event site are erecting similar banners for OS X and iCloud, both missing any specific version numbers.

The OS X banner, conspicuously missing the word "Mac" anywhere, touts itself as "the world's most advanced desktop operating system," in parallel to iOS, which Apple refers to as "the world's most advanced mobile operating system."

Rather than explicitly calling attention to the Mountain Lion codename or its 10.8 version number, the OS X banner simply depicts a mountain lion image.

The iCloud banner similarly presents just the simple icon Apple unveiled for the new service last year, along with the approachable slogan, "Your content. On all your devices," a message Jobs began driving home at last year's event as a high level, long term strategy for Apple going forward.

Spy pictures taken by AppleInsider also catch a glimpse of upper floor banners advertising AirPlay, Apple's wireless video distribution technology that debuted on iOS 5 and is expected to be included in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (although it requires late model hardware to work). The AirPlay banner appears to depict a MacBook Air mirroring its display to a large screen HDTV behind it.

The WWDC event targets iOS and OS X developers, and while it has historically often involved product introductions, its main thrust has focused on new software technologies that Apple hopes its growing audience of developers will readily adopt in their products.

Outside the Moscone West venue, smaller banners reflecting the main WWDC 2012 colorful imagery of app icons are in place, as are the giant Apple logos that grace the building every year at WWDC, which first began going up yesterday.
post #2 of 57

Such a classy company. I'm looking forward to any and all surprises to come.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #3 of 57
Just me, or does the "6" look mappy? Like an on-ramp, or... Maybe it's that it's exactly the same color as the path that the current map gives you to follow. Something...
post #4 of 57

I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO updated Mac announcements and Apple just updates the website without any fanfare.

I just want to see a retina MBP.

post #5 of 57

Quote:
A year ago, Steve Jobs... The company is now...

It used to be referred to that special someone. Now it's just 'the company'. Whatever happened to a special someone?

post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO updated Mac announcements and Apple just updates the website without any fanfare.

Not a chance if there's a redesign.
post #7 of 57

You would think they would a introduce a taller iPhone. If there is going to be a fifth row of apps a huge update would be the time to do it. Instead of like 6.1.1 adding a fifth row. Wouldn't you think so? You never know...................................

post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Just me, or does the "6" look mappy? Like an on-ramp, or... Maybe it's that it's exactly the same color as the path that the current map gives you to follow. Something...

It's from the default wallpaper of iOS 5.1 on the iPad 3..
post #9 of 57
A lot like last years banners, which was ios 5, lion, and icloud http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/02/wwdc_2011_banners_going_up_at_moscone_center.html
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post
You would think they would a introduce a taller iPhone.

Not when it won't be out for months, no.

Quote:
 If there is going to be a fifth row of apps a huge update would be the time to do it.

Or in October because there's no huge iPod announcement anymore.

Quote:
 Instead of like 6.1.1 adding a fifth row.

We are NOT getting iOS 6 on Monday. It is NOT being released on Monday. It comes out with the next iPhone when the next iPhone comes out. It will be 6.0 then. 

Wait, do you also think that the next iPhone would… have a dark spot on the Springboard until 6.1 (which makes no sense).1, which then gives it that fifth row?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #11 of 57

So this mean there will be no more iPod Touch or iPod Nanos?

post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or in October because there's no huge iPod announcement anymore.

Maybe there will be you  never know!

post #13 of 57
Quote:

No, no, just that they're no longer a highlight. A new touch that fits the form of the next iPhone couldn't be introduced early; it'd spoil the iPhone surprise.

post #14 of 57
Quote:

Has Apple ever had a WWDC without any hardware being announced?

post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Has Apple ever had a WWDC without any hardware being announced?

Yep. Last year, wasn't it? And before that, of course. Aught two? Three was the PowerMac G5… 

post #16 of 57
Quote:

I've been saying that for weeks but it seems I'm a total idiot cause every time I say it folks come in droves to down rank me. Or just call me stupid. 

Quote:

You would think they would a introduce a taller iPhone. If there is going to be a fifth row of apps a huge update would be the time to do it. Instead of like 6.1.1 adding a fifth row. Wouldn't you think so? You never know...................................

No need for a 6.x. They intro the phone about a month before release which could be this Fall so they reveal that bit then. It's a home screen function so the developers don't need access to it anyway. 

Quote:

Those haven't been announced at WWDC even when the iPhone etc was. We won't know anything about them until the fall. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
I've been saying that for weeks but it seems I'm a total idiot cause every time I say it folks come in droves to down rank me. Or just call me stupid.

A redesign warrants stage time. Otherwise yes, it'll just be silent.

Quote:
They intro the phone about a month before release…

Hasn't it been steadily decreasing lately? We're down to less than half of that now, aren't we?

post #18 of 57
Quote:

I'm curious about your thinking behind that.

Here's my take...

1. Apple has moved the iPhone to an Autumn release because it's an ideal time for it right before the holidays, not the Summer when few new things are usually released, and the iPod is slowing being obfuscated. It's shoring up the difference in the Fall.
  2. There has been no iPhone that came out at the same time as the SDK for the new OS arrives. It's not just about getting devs to build apps with the new APIs but getting devs to test the new OS so Apple can fix OS and built-in app bugs.
  3. There is no reason for Apple to push the 6th gen iPhone out so developers can make their apps understand this 5th row. From a software development standpoint 3rd-party apps don't tell the OS where or how the apps will sit on the Home Screen. If there is another row then I assume that all your screens with simply have a blank row until you choose to fill them. What the apps will need to understand is different resolution/aspect ratio, but developers were suppose to be coding for such independence from the start. You can check out Mail and Safari as great examples of this happening naturally. Turn it and the width will change. This shouldn't be hard coded. That said, it's possible that games that are GPU heavy and account for a pixel perfect match could easily be windowed with on a couple small (88px) letterboxes on each side.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #19 of 57
Quote:

Hasn't it been steadily decreasing lately? We're down to less than half of that now, aren't we?
Last year they were certainly fast between announcement and release. Same goes for this iPad. I think it's varied since the start of the iPhone but over the last year they are certainly showing a tighter cycle. I quite like it.

I also like that we have very little info about what is coming next week. The best we really know is leaks from China on actual HW. We assume Maps but I think it's a calculated guess more than any tangible data, and even that is only based on the companies they bought years ago.

post #20 of 57

They seem to do things 3 months apart.

Jan: iPad updates

Apr: Mac updates

Jun: Dev conference/OS updates

Sep: iPod/iPhone updates

The Mac updates are late this year due to Intel.

post #21 of 57

Cue "Steve Jobs would never announce anything at WWDC." (Only kidding)

Anyway, I'm feeling a sense of deja vu from last year.

post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

It's from the default wallpaper of iOS 5.1 on the iPad 3..

Although similar, it's not the same.

If you scroll to just over half way down on the link I provided, there is a small section in iOS, iCloud and dictation. The iOS photo there is the default background on the new iPad.

The iOS 6 logo is a new background.
post #23 of 57

iOS 6, Mountain Lion and iCloud will all get updates. Or they won't and they will all tuen into one. "The most advanced operating systems in the world, unified into one". Just imagine. 

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #24 of 57

The question is what systems will iOS 6 be compatible with. Yes,we probably won't know till the fall. Usually when Apple releases a new OS its for the current versions of there products,and the version before that. Even though announced in the summer,we really don't know tech specs. Only because you might think that just because there is a new OS that your iPhone 4 will be compatible, but then around the same time its going to released they'll unveil a new iPhone, most likely,update wise,making your iPhone 4 no more updated. One thing about iOS 6 is that, if the newest iPhone is going to have such changes, there is a possibility that to show off iOS 6,they could also show the new iPhone. But that doesn't mean they have to release it either, they could announce both,even show iOS 6 on the new iPhone and then the release date would be the fall. Unless of course I'm wrong and that the new iPhone we've been seeing doesn't  come out till next year in 2013. And maybe then after a supposed Mac overhaul there supposedly having this year. Next year, will focus on a so called "iOS 7" along with the iPhone. It could go either way or maybe nothing like that at all.

Edited by THEMAC1NT0SH - 6/9/12 at 8:29am
post #25 of 57
Quote:
The question is what systems will iOS 6 be compatible with.

Everything A4 and up.

Quote:
One thing about iOS 6 is that, if the newest iPhone is going to have such changes, there is a possibility that to show off iOS 6,they could also show the new iPhone.

Not really at all.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean they have to release it either…

Well, of course, they can just go three months without sales and lose billions of dollars.

Quote:
And maybe then after a supposed Mac overhaul.

If Apple doesn't update their computers until next year… I don't even need to finish that sentence.

post #26 of 57
Quote:

Everything A4 and up.

NOT ALWAYS

Not really at all.

YOU NEVER KNOW.

Well, of course, they can just go three months without sales and lose billions of dollars.

I suppose they could so iOS 6 on iPad or or Phone or maybe even iPod Touch.

If Apple doesn't update their computers until next year… I don't even need to finish that sentence.

I meant since this year is going to focus alot on the MAC maybe next year will focus on the iPhone like in 2010.

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Not always.

It has held true for five years.

Quote:
You never know.

Except we DO. Apple isn't stupid.

Quote:
I suppose they could so iOS 6 on iPad or or Phone or maybe even iPod Touch.

That was sarcasm; apologies.

Quote:
I meant since this year is going to focus alot on the MAC maybe next year will focus on the iPhone like in 2010.

What indication is there that any year will be focusing on the Mac? If anything, the Mac is continuing to take an even "backer" seat to iOS because all of these hardware updates could be done NOW with many having been possible for weeks.

post #28 of 57
Here is a partial list of things I'd like Apple do (or consider doing). It does represent what I expect to see on Monday (or even ever)...

Siri
  • I'd like a phoneme (the smallest segmental unit of sound employed to form meaningful contrasts between utterances) matrix to be used for each user's Siri DB. This requires multiple parts to work. Part 1: Apple gets with linguists to create a special paragraph that uses all the common phonemes for speech in a given language. They can also use special terms that will help separate users based on dialects or other variations in speech. Part 2: They create Siri algorithms that can use this paragraph as a foundation to better understand a user's speech method in numerous ways.
  • While there is a "hack" that allows users to add phonetic spellings to Contacts this is part of vCard and not designed for Siri. It can also mess up your contact alphabetizing and requires text input. Now there is a feature of vCard that allows for pronunciation. I'd like Apple to include it and have Siri access it, not to play back your pronunciation of your contacts but to use to get an understanding of various user names.
  • I'd like to see some intelligence over local and server-side voice recognition but I'm not sure that's feasible at this point.

iCloud
  • iPod (Video and Music on iPad) content to be auto synced with timestamps
  • over iCloud so I can pause my music on my iPhone and then start on my Mac/PC to have it
  • pick up right where I stopped.
  • Cloud based rules for Mail. Right now I keep my Mac on all day just so I can have the local IMAP rules send back flags to iCloud that will then show up on my iDevices.
  • Fix the way the iMessages DB logs user accounts. I'm not quite sure what's going on but what I can figure is that if you send an iMessage to my iPhone phone number it will only go to my iPhone, but if you send it to my iCloud email address it will go to all devices. I'd like all addresses/numbers in the iMessages DB to be sent to all devices unless they have been disallowed in Settings.
  • For security I'd like to know how many devices are tied to my iCloud account. If someone is accessing Mail from the web page I'd like to know via an iMessage and/or email. If someone adds an IMAP mail account I'd like an iMessage and/or email. I'd like this to be seen in the iCloud settings on Mac/PC without having to go to the website.

iOS
  • Settings needs to be lockable.
  • I'd love a simplified guest account but I doubt that will happen.
  • I'd like a way to easily adjust the brightness up and down from the lock screen without having to look at the display. If I walk into a dark theater and turn my phone brightness down it takes way to look to unlock, enter my PIN, locate Settings, go to Brightness and then adjust it down. But that issue is me not wanting to affect others with light pollution, it's when leaving a dark space, like a theater, into the sunlight that it's impossible to see the display. I propose a counterclockwise and clockwise rotation on the front of the locked display adjust the brightness quickly.
  • Make the Messages icon blue to indicate a shift from SMS to iMessages as the primary focus.

iPhone
  • Larger display so long as the usability with one hand isn't negatively affected.
  • Dedicated Siri button. The long-hold on the Home Button or headphones is too long to wait to call Siri. It needs to be more like the concierge feature on the overpriced Nokia Vertu phones.
  • I'm not keen on the MagSafe 30-pin connector because of usability and technical reasons. I would like Apple to look into a Reverse MagSafe connector for the headphone jack as it only has 4 connectors. I oft get my headphone wire snagged on something which yanks the cable out of the my ear canals and/or the plug socket. Neither is goof for the phones, my ears or the device. I say reverse because I'd like a pressure and/or accelerometer to intelligently determine when there is too much tension and/or a rapid acceleration of the device so it can disengage the phones from the jack by pushing the phones out when necessary.
  • A way to allow the phone to be held in portrait mode but take landscape images, because it's more natural to hold, without requiring reduced quality from post-processing. An L-shaped camera sensor,perhaps?

iTunes
  • When you import any video into iTunes it dumps it all into Movies. I'd like the app to be slightly more intelligent by (at least) looking at the duration to determine if it's a TV show, music video, or a movie. Now a home movie and music video can both be just 3 minutes long I think there would be camera meta or other factors that iTunes could pick up on. Or have settings that would allow for placement based on various criteria.
  • Let iTunes be a real media library. Have a checkbox in Preferences that lets you input any audio or video files of your choice with a warning that these files may not necessarily load onto iDevices or even be playable in iTunes, but will still the user organize their media in the iTunes app instead of having users use the poorer option of using Finder/Explorer.
  • Going along with the previous request of using iTunes as my media hub give me the option to launch media outside of iTunes in, at least, QuickTime player.
  • I'd like to have a plus button next to artists, at least. I hate that I can't choose a play songs by a certain artist if that artist is paired with other artists. I first have to take any secondary artist name and move it to the track number as a featuring, but that also adds issues because then it's still not searchable by any of the other artists. They allow for multiple album covers so I'd like them to allow for this. in the iTunes Library in Finder/Explorer it could just be a resource link to any additional artists listed after the first one.
  • If you're going to use BASE-10 for your OS, which I agree with, then use BASE-10 for your iTunes and other apps. There is no reason for these consumer-focused programs to be disjointed.

QuickTime
  • Keep a record of each file played and offer the option to play from last position just like in DVD Player.
  • After using the Trim feature removing the extraneous data so that the trimmed section now takes up the trim window so that one can trim again with more granuality. This is the way it worked when QT X first arrived. I think it might be a Lion bug.

Mail
  • Allow mail I've noted as Junk on my Mac Mail app to make Junk on the iCloud mail server. Right now if I have repeating spam I have to access icloud.com so I can mark them as Junk in the web interface.
  • Let me use only Mail to see a window for Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Reminders so I don't have to use 5 different apps to get the same results. I understand that not everyone wishes to do use this Outook-like view which is why I'd like it to be an option, not a requirement, and not even a default option.

OS X
  • Continue with the uniformity of making OS X names match iOS names — like Address Book being changed to Contacts — by changing Movies to Video in the user folder and making the way iTunes stores all that content not be buried in the Music folder. Even iTunes being its own folder right under ~// would be great.
  • I'd like System Preferences to have a 3rd tab for the user that allows me to adjust the default app for various apps. Having a user use Mail, Safari, Image Capture et al. to choose the default action is not very Apple-like. It also can cause problems if the app is crashing and you aren't tech savvy enough to figure out how to alter the PLIST file for the default app.
  • When I access  » About This Mac show me the new, nicer and more informative About This Mac window, not the old and busted Inspector version that now requires me to hit More Info to see the new one. It's superfluous even if minor.
  • Lots of apps in Dock if they are clicked on again will do nothing if you've closed out all the windows. For instance, if I close out the Mail viewer window it will do nothing which leads many to click it repeatedly and then quitting and reopening it not realizing it still running just fine and they need to click File » New Viewer Window again.
  • In Safari offer an Extensions & Plugins tab in Preferences so I can not only have my extensions listed and managed easily but also have my plug-ins listed and managed easily without the odd listing under Help » Internet Plug-Ins and having to search for them in Finder under /Library/Internet Plug-ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins.
  • In Mountain Lion the OS integrates with Twitter (which is nice). It also adds Twitter notifications to Notification Center (which is also nice). What isn't nice is that if you click on the notification it will launch the Twitter website instead of using the Twitter app you have installed.
  • Secure Auto Login. This can refer to many things. For instance, it can mean that when you choose to restart while holding down the Option key it would say Secure Restart & Login that would ask for your password before restarting so you the system will restart and log into all your apps in one move without having to enable Automatic Login in System Preferences which is a security issue. The other option (and my preferred solution) is to only allow Secure Automatic Login in the System Preferences so that every time you do restart it will auto login your account thus loading all your apps but you'll still need to put in your password in order to access your desktop.

» One great thing they've added to Mountain Lion is the near inability to accidentally remove an icon from the Dock. Those of you that play tech support for family and friends know that it's easy for something to remove an icon from the Dock with a quick mouse drag yet takes too much time to explain what they did, how to get it back, and how to avoid doing it in the future. What Apple did still allows for the same action but you 1) have to move it out far enough and 2) have to mouse it out for a set duration. It's not long, but it's enough that it should make an accidental removal considerably less likely to occur.

MBP
  • Simple, low-power AMOLED display in the trackpad for specialized tasks.
  • SSD card + 2.5" HDD/SSD even if the 2.5" drive is only a 1 7mm drive. I just don't want to give up the speed+capacity of having both.

AirPort routers
  • Make the routers a home server. Have it log the Mac and iDevices that are on its network and then auto-download the needed updates for that user. If a home, for instance, has 3 Macs running Lion the service would have the combo download on the router locally ready to go for all users. This saves all Macs downloading it 3x and speeds up total install time.
  • 802.11ac which I'll be more surprised Apple doesn't include with an update this year. They have continually right at the forefront of this tech.
  • I'd like the router (or perhaps the TV) to be the digital hub. Having the Mac/PC as the digital hub has served Apple well but in a post-PC world it's time to move the focal point to be agnostic of the Mac/PC. This would mean quite a lot of work on the AirPort routers which likely means iOS and it means that iTunes would need a major overhaul to support much better local and networked access but it's all possible.
  • Much more robust support. While Apple's consumer routers are best in class they were designed around having several Mac/PCs in place, not having a dozen handheld WiFi devices on and active in the home at any one time. WiFi uses CDMA/CA which essentially means that only device can communicate at any one time but the real issue can be processing so much data at once from so many sources.

PS: AI forums
  • Please remove the emoticon icon option or fix the links to the icons.
  • If you can't use the Thumbs Up option on a touchscreen device why does it show up?
  • The Reply button in every post makes too many users think that by clicking it they are replying to that user but it's not quoting their comments so the flow of the thread is being interrupted. Please remove them as having it at the bottom and top of the page is sufficient.
  • There is no need to start a new thread from within a current thread.
  • Have the AI logo take you back to the main page, not the main forum page.
  • The http://x.jmxded210.net/y.z? site that all email links go through is very slow, oft timing out.

Edited by SolipsismX - 6/9/12 at 1:51pm

post #29 of 57
Quote:

The question is what systems will iOS 6 be compatible with.
Quote:

Everything A4 and up.
Quote:

NOT ALWAYS
I don't understand your answer. They've never released iOS 6 before and every version of iOS that has come out since the Apple A4 was released has gotten the latest iOS update.

On top of that Apple has a great track record of making iOS for 3 iterations of their devices and having those updates come out at the same time of their other iOS-based iDevices. While I disagree with TS's fact-like assertion instead of wording is a most likely probability, I do think he's probably correct.

PS: You commented within another posters post so I when i hit reply it was empty. Using proper markup on the site makes it easier to respond.

post #30 of 57

So just to sum things up we all know very  little of what is going to happen on Monday.

post #31 of 57
Quote:

So just to sum things up we all know very  little of what is going to happen on Monday.

We always know very little. Even last year when Apple issues a press release to let us know what they'll be covering (IOW, saying they aren't going to be talking about HW at WWDC by not mentioning it) we still knew nothing outside of some general topics. It's the way of things at Apple and as annoying as it is for us consumers and tech enthusiasts it's a good thing... and they need more of it. I'm actually happy that this year there is even fewer items we "know for sure" about. The iPhone 4 leak by Gizmodo really did take away from what may have been the best announcement Apple has ever made.

post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We always know very little. Even last year when Apple issues a press release to let us know what they'll be covering (IOW, saying they aren't going to be talking about HW at WWDC by not mentioning it) we still knew nothing outside of some general topics. It's the way of things at Apple and as annoying as it is for us consumers and tech enthusiasts it's a good thing... and they need more of it. I'm actually happy that this year there is even fewer items we "know for sure" about. The iPhone 4 leak by Gizmodo really did take away from what may have been the best announcement Apple has ever made.

Agreed.

post #33 of 57
Quote:

Now it's clicking!

We know for absolute certain:

• There will be an event.
  • It's on Monday.
  • People will be there.
  • It's Apple doing it.
  • They'll talk about something.

post #34 of 57

You know what I've never understood. Why the camera was taken away from the nano, it was such a great idea. But there must be reasons.

post #35 of 57
Quote:
You know what I've never understood. Why the camera was taken away from the nano, it was such a great idea. But there must be reasons.

We've actually seen prototypes of the current nano design with a camcorder built in. I imagine Apple figured that people also wanted photo-taking capabilities, which are physically impossible with a lens of that depth. 

I'll bet when the iPod touch gets an update, it'll have a good enough camera/camcorder combo that many complaints in this department will be rectified.

post #36 of 57
Quote:

I'll bet when the iPod touch gets an update, it'll have a good enough camera/camcorder combo that many complaints in this department will be rectified.

Yes, and the iPod Touch seriously needs an update. They'll probably announce it with the iPhone since they'll most likely have similar aspects.

post #37 of 57
Quote:

Look at what it became. It's considerably smaller and uses a very different UI and HW for input. It might just have been technically not possible for the cost constraints, but it also might have been too odd to use with that small square. I'd personally like a camera on the edge so you can still use as a watch but I'm guessing that won't happen.

post #38 of 57

Wow.  Very thorough, well-thought-out wish list!  These are the items I also desperately want:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here is a partial list of things I'd like Apple do (or consider doing). It does represent what I expect to see on Monday (or even ever)...
iCloud

• Cloud based rules for Mail. Right now I keep my Mac on all day just so I can have the local IMAP rules send back flags to iCloud that will then show up on my iDevices.

iOS

• I'd like a way to easily adjust the brightness up and down from the lock screen without having to look at the display. If I walk into a dark theater and turn my phone brightness down...

iPhone

• Larger display so long as the usability with one hand isn't negatively affected.
  • I'm not keen on the MagSafe 30-pin connector because of usability and technical reasons. I would like Apple to look into a Reverse MagSafe connector for the headphone jack...
Mail
  • Allow mail I've noted as Junk on my Mac Mail app to make Junk on the iCloud mail server. Right now if I have repeating spam I have to access icloud.com so I can mark them as Junk in the web interface.

MBP

AirPort routers

• Make the routers a home server. Have it log the Mac and iDevices that are on its network and then auto-download the needed updates for that user. ...
  • I'd like the router (or perhaps the TV) to be the digital hub. Having the Mac/PC as the digital hub has served Apple well but in a post-PC world it's time to move the focal...

And here are more items that I'd really like, with my comments, for what they're worth:

Quote:

MBP

I'd also like the keyboard keycaps to be changed from plastic to glass.  Getting tired of the thin plastic clickiness.  Also, and this is really wishful thinking, I'd like the keycaps to be individual AMOLED displays.  This would do several things:

- Enable easy and instant internationalization of the keyboard

- Eliminate the unsightly and uneven light leaks around the edges of the keycaps

I'd also love to see black AMOLED glass keycaps on the Apple Wireless Keyboard as well.  Note that switching to black keycaps would almost certainly require changing to a black Magic Mouse, which Apple might never want to do.  The white Magic Mouse is almost as iconic as the light gray Apple earbuds / cables.  But also note that glass keycaps, with AMOLED screens, could evolve into touch-sensitive panels.  They could, in some future Mac, sense multi-touch gestures, either directly on their surfaces or just slightly above them.  And that could save innumerable round trips to/from the mouse or Magic Trackpad.  (I'm not expecting this for many years, if ever.)

Quote:

AirPort routers

• Make the routers a home server. Have it log the Mac and iDevices that are on its network and then auto-download the needed updates for that user. ...

Great idea.  Especially for those of us stuck with legacy DSL connections. :-(

Quote:

AirPort routers

• I'd like the router (or perhaps the TV) to be the digital hub. Having the Mac/PC as the digital hub has served Apple well but in a post-PC world it's time to move the focal point...

Agree.  If there ever really is an Apple HDTV set, then it will probably start out as, or evolve into, much more than just a monitor with an iOS circuit board in its enclosure.  And for households without an Apple HDTV-of-the-future, a beefed up Time Capsule could handle whatever functions the Apple HDTV would perform.  Over time, Apple could even offload compute-intensive tasks to the digital hub device (and iCloud), allowing for even lower-cost, smaller, lighter iOS and OS X end-user devices.  Apple is already doing that for Siri queries.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #39 of 57
Quote:

I think it was to increase the differentiation of the nano and the touch.  The nano had nearly evolved into an iPod touch mini, almost like a cheaper iPod touch.  Bad for Apple since it may have cannibalized iPod touch sales, which in turn would have hurt iOS adoption.

post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Great idea.  Especially for those of us stuck with legacy DSL connections. :-(

Wait, we consider DSL 'legacy' now? Man, I realize it's not the fastest, but it's the fastest we can get here… There's no fiber rollout in the US anymore… 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2012 Banners depict iOS 6, OS X, iCloud as stars of the show