or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mitt Romney becomes first politician to use Apple's iAd service

Mitt Romney becomes first politician to use Apple's iAd service

post #1 of 81
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's camp on Friday announced that he will be taking his campaign to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users nationwide using Apple's iAd, making him the first politico to advertise through the service since it was introduced in 2010.

Romney's decision to use iAd is indicative of a trend toward mobile advertising, reports The Wall Street Journal, as President Barack Obama is also using ad networks to effectively target key demographics in a run up to the 2012 election.

Both parties are said to be leveraging demographic and geographic data mined by a variety of digital ad companies in hopes of swaying voters in swing states. An Apple spokesperson said that Romney's iAds are the first of their kind.

Zac Moffatt, the Romney campaign's digital director, believes that people will "spend more time" with the iAds and said that the campaign will be experimenting with the mobile push leading up to the Republican convention in August. The camp is also using Google's mobile network to get information to Android users, effectively covering the entire smartphone market.

President Obama's campaign declined to divulge what mobile and internet ad resources it was using, but online ads for the incumbent Democrat have been seen on Google's network.

According to data compiled by Romney's digital team, mobile users drove a large amount of the traffic seen by the campaign's website and a majority of those visitors were using Apple devices.

Moffatt sees smartphone users as a captive audience, saying that a handset is "the most personal device you carry. We felt like we wanted to connect with people where they spend their time."

Romney
Screenshot from an upcoming Romney iAd video. | Source: WSJ

The Romney ads will initially coexist with traditional media and are slated to show up only on iPhones and iPads in states where concurrent TV spots are being run. Content will be interactive and are set to feature embedded videos as well as a link to download the "With Mitt" photo-sharing app.

"We're not looking to replace TV but to augment and amplify [it]," Moffatt said.

Apple's iAd service was at one time seen as a "billion dollar opportunity" due to the large installed base of iOS users, but slow adoption and diminishing interest forced the company to drop ad prices. The system was revamped and developer revenue increased from 60 percent to 70 percent earlier in 2012 to rekindle interest in the service.

According to a report by Borrell Associates campaigns and outside groups will spend just $159 million on digital advertising this year, a far cry from the estimated $7 billion expected to spent by the end of the race. As mobile devices proliferate and politicians learn more about the effectiveness of mobile advertising, services like iAd will likely account for an increasing amount of campaign spending. Both the Romney and Obama camps declined to disclose how much they plan to spend on mobile ads for 2012.

The iAd campaign is scheduled to kick-off next week.
post #2 of 81

Ladies and gentlemen, watch as this thread instantly gets off its real topic… lol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, watch as this thread instantly gets off its real topic… lol.gif

Well, Romney using iAd isn't going to necessarily get my vote.  Obama may not get my vote either.  I am still undecided.   Was that quick enough?  I don't want to disappoint anyone.  Just trying to help.

post #4 of 81
I bet Apple is pleased about it because of the additional coverage it will get for iAds.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Only in Amercia

LoL. Amercia. Only in Canada
post #6 of 81

so what the rules about donation links in Ads

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

LoL. Amercia. Only in Canada

Canada is a territory of the US much like Putero Rico.
post #8 of 81
I take issue a bit with the diminishing interest in iAds statement. It was pretty clearly set up at first as an experiment that would only appeal to a select group of advertisers with very deep pockets. It even required Apple participation in the development of the Ad.

So the next phase is lower the price and open it up more so that even political campaigns can use it.

That said, I don't use ad based apps, so I have never seen an iAd. And I don't want to.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #9 of 81
Quote:

You were, unfortunately, right.

Ugh.
post #10 of 81

LOL, I'm not sure if I can remember a single ad campaign from an iOS device (I bought the original iPod touch and since then have moved to an iPad and iPhone).

Some people might say, "well, it's because you run a DNS cache-poisoning script on your home router which effectively blocks all ads to everything on your subnet." 

Yes, but I also get unfiltered Internet at my work's public WiFi network as well as anyplace else other than work or home. I know I am seeing ads, I just don't remember any of them.

post #11 of 81
Ugh. Topics like these never end well. I hope it's put out of its misery quick.
post #12 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

so what the rules about donation links in Ads

Exactly what I thought, I hope Apple are going to collect 30% of all donations to political parties :-)

post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

President Obama's campaign declined to divulge what mobile and internet ad resources it was using, but online ads for the incumbent Democrat have been seen on Google's network.
Let's take a note here that the Obama campaign is being very circumspect on its digital marketing. Romney did want to increase his "hip" factor, though.
post #14 of 81

Who's Omney?

Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #15 of 81

Oh joy. We can look forward to many mispelled ads.

post #16 of 81

OMG man.  Look at the size of his head.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #17 of 81
Why does he walk around with a microphone clipped to his shirt? Or is it a still from a video recording?

Edit
Duh! Didn't read the caption. Ok, strange way of campaigning. If you are going to use Apple products to market yourself, why don't you adhere to their high level of standards?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #18 of 81

Frank Zappa : register to vote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_klzJI5htE

post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Why do... Why aren't.. Why did... Why didn't... What happens...

PM Sent.

post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Who to believe?

Believe in the one true religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

While it is true that the Mormon church didn't consider blacks to be the devil, they did consider them to be a cursed race:
http://carm.org/mormonism-and-the-negro
http://nowscape.com/mormon/negro2.htm
http://nowscape.com/mormon/negro.htm
http://www.christiandefense.org/mor_black.htm
and many more
The official position is that they were accursed and like the devil due to their black skin.

There are few religions that haven't used an invented classification of certain peoples to determine others as sup/inferior. If it's a more modern adoption and/or closer to when a modern culture has eschewed that layer of ignorance it certainly feels worse but I'm not sure it is. Bigotry is bigotry. Whether it was culturally acceptable or not doesn't make it better.

For that reason I also can't begrudge the polygamy. Whilst not part of the typical Western culture there are plenty of cultures that have done it and still do it today. From a biological standpoint it makes perfect sense; male can spread their seed several times a day and females only have one egg per month, an if they get pregnant that's a 9 month gestation period. If your population is low it's a great way to ensure your survival.

On the flip side, if you need to keep the population low because food is scarce, as with at least one Nepalese culture, there is polyandry so that one women can have multiple husbands. These all make anthropologic sense. The confusion I see comes from people not accepting of other cultures, another form of bigotry. I personally will never marry because I think it's an outmoded and antiquated practice that does nothing for me in modern society but I accept that others find solace and joy in the practice ether for its own sake, religion, or just because it's the cultural norm. Even modern marriage would have been shocking to people not to long ago as many cultures didn't have divorce, and certainly not such a simple method of separation. We are not a monogamous people, we are serial monogamists.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/9/12 at 6:58am

post #22 of 81

Ironic. An android advertising on an iPhone.

post #23 of 81

This post of mine is the 23rd in the thread. There are also 23 posts already DELETED from this thread.

I don't often hate being right, but come on, guys. lol.gif

EDIT: DARN YOU, GMHUT. lol.gif Ruining my numbers…

post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

I take issue a bit with the diminishing interest in iAds statement. It was pretty clearly set up at first as an experiment that would only appeal to a select group of advertisers with very deep pockets. It even required Apple participation in the development of the Ad.
So the next phase is lower the price and open it up more so that even political campaigns can use it.

I don't think the price is a problem here, presidential campaigns gather take in considerable donations. I think this presidential election will probably involve a couple billion dollars all said and done. Unlike a business, a political campaign is an organization that is only advertising. They don't deliver a product until election, and they generally don't deliver the product anyway.
Quote:
That said, I don't use ad based apps, so I have never seen an iAd. And I don't want to.

The few ad-based apps I've used were glitchy and annoying. I hate that a portion of an already small screen gets set aside for an app. On one game, I requested in the feedback they offer a $1 version of the game that eliminates the ad, which I recall running the numbers that they'd get more from a buyer than an ad impressions on a free app.
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why does he walk around with a microphone clipped to his shirt? Or is it a still from a video recording?

He was born with it. I am surprised they removed the silver spoon in his mouth.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Canada is a territory of the US much like Putero Rico.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Canada is its own country, not a territory of the US.
post #27 of 81
Quote:

This post of mine is the 23rd in the thread. There are also 23 posts already DELETED from this thread.

I don't often hate being right, but come on, guys. lol.gif

EDIT: DARN YOU, GMHUT. lol.gif  Ruining my numbers…

1) It's about time it was cleaned up. I was surprised to see all the hate comments this morning.

2) You are the 23rd post. I don't count AI posting the article in the forum as a post.

post #28 of 81
Comments about religion and politics are heavily discouraged. I've deleted most of those from this thread, still more may be deleted.

The original article isn't about politics anyway, it's about a campaign that bought into Apple's system.
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
The original article isn't about politics anyway, it's about a campaign that bought into Apple's system.

Ads We Can Believe In

(Spare) Change (for developers)

Hope (Google chokes on it)

post #30 of 81
I've heard from a few developers that iAds is finally working out for them. Any developers have any pros or cons about the current state of their nascent ad service?

PS: I still can't recall ever coming across an iAd.

post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Me neither. But aren't Americans the lucky ones where Apple made an iAd app available? Yep. How does it look?
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Only in Amercia

Yes, Romney ads are yet another Apple feature that's only available to residents of the US.  Canadian users get screwed yet again!

At least everything is spelled right this time.

post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Looks like a low budget video. You can kind of tell by the graphic design of the overlay as well as the microphone and the fact that a professional videographer/director would not shoot in full sun at noon.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Looks like a low budget video. You can kind of tell by the graphic design of the overlay as well as the microphone and the fact that a professional videographer/director would not shoot in full sun at noon.

For someone with a schedule as heavy as Romney's (or any major politician), I imagine you shoot when you can get a chance.  If high sun is when he's available, that's what you work with.  Besides, it's a political ad, not a touching, highly personal cinematic portrait.  Five seconds in Photoshop would have made that mic go away, though.

post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The camp is also using Google's mobile network to get information to Android users, effectively covering the entire smartphone market....

...Moffatt sees smartphone users as a captive audience, saying that a handset is "the most personal device you carry. We felt like we wanted to connect with people where they spend their time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have yet to see an iAd either because I don't have any ad supported apps. That is what make the above statement by Moffatt odd is that he does not seem to understand that in app mobile advertising does not effectively cover the smartphone market because free ad supported apps is not where people spend their time. Maybe young people download a lot of free apps but that doesn't seem to be the primary target audience for a political campaign since young people traditionally have a low turnout at the polls and a minority are registered Republicans. I don't see this iAd as being effective at all.

post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

For someone with a schedule as heavy as Romney's (or any major politician), I imagine you shoot when you can get a chance.  If high sun is when he's available, that's what you work with.  Besides, it's a political ad, not a touching, highly personal cinematic portrait.  Five seconds in Photoshop would have made that mic go away, though.

Valid point. Still, if I were a public figure, I'd take notice of things like:

1. overlay/inset partially over his right hand
2. text at right gets cut off, although that could be due to different AR in video vs. photo
3. G+ logo is wider than f & t
4. This is not vignetting, this is done like crap
5. 'Get involved' button is bigger than 'Donate', making the surrounding border look...well, I'm sure the American language has better words for all this nitpicking of mine
post #37 of 81
Quote:

Five seconds in Photoshop would have made that mic go away, though.

Five seconds per frame.

post #38 of 81
Quote:

Yes, Romney ads are yet another Apple feature that's only available to residents of the US.  Canadian users get screwed yet again!

At least everything is spelled right this time.

I don't get it. Since Canadians can't vote in US elections, why do they need to see Romney's ads and why should he pay to have them visible in Canada?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Ironic. An android advertising on an iPhone.

Well said.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Comments about religion and politics are heavily discouraged. I've deleted most of those from this thread, still more may be deleted.

We read a thread that drives on politics but you don't allow people to talk about it.

I didn't see other threads with companies that use iAds. When are those coming?

I write this not to attack but I hope you understand that it's not fair to blame members for things the poster of this thread started. 

post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post

We read a thread that drives on politics but you don't allow people to talk about it.
I didn't see other threads with companies that use iAds. When are those coming?

I write this not to attack but I hope you understand that it's not fair to blame members for things the poster of this thread started. 

Talking about a politician using technology.

X  Talking about your personal political agenda in a thread talking about a politician using technology.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/9/12 at 2:50pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mitt Romney becomes first politician to use Apple's iAd service