or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mitt Romney becomes first politician to use Apple's iAd service

Mitt Romney becomes first politician to use Apple's iAd service - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, watch as this thread instantly gets off its real topic… lol.gif

Yeah. The article itself was barely on target.

For whatever reason this doesn't appear to a "first" of any kind. It sounds like one of those made up firsts that people invent so they can be the first at something. Like "First female over 40 with type 2 diabetes to go into space!" or "First politician to eat a Quiznos sandwich on a presidential campaign run!" Thus heralding the trend towards eating sandwiches in presidential campaigns.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Only in Amercia

Both candidates make gaffes and typos occasionally. President Obama's name was misspelled on the signature line of a diplomatic agreement with Then-Russian President Medvedev earlier this year. With 24/7 partisan cable news, Twitter, and blogs on you all the time, you are bound to screw something up. It's the downside of all the technological development over the past 25 years or so. No surprise that candidates are trying to make use of the upsides (more data to analyze, more targeted advertising, more efficient use of campaign dollars).

Anyway, Romney may be the first on iAds, but I'm guessing he won't be the last.

post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post

We read a thread that drives on politics but you don't allow people to talk about it.
I didn't see other threads with companies that use iAds. When are those coming?

I write this not to attack but I hope you understand that it's not fair to blame members for things the poster of this thread started. 

You misunderstand. It's not actually an article about politics or religion. It is a political campaign that chose a technology to communicate their positions, but said positions were not part of the article.

The article doesn't mention his religion, yet people decide it's on topic to talk about his religion, or even other religions. This isn't necessary.

The article says nothing about his political positions, yet readers decide political positions is a fair game topic.

I don't think this is too subtle of a distinction.

Normally we're not this fastidious about being on-topic, but politics and religion are topics that generally devolve into a vicious cesspool, and the deleted posts were clearly trending that way in my opinion.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/9/12 at 9:44am
post #44 of 81
Quote:
I didn't see other threads with companies that use iAds. When are those coming?

Jeff sums it up well,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
It is a political campaign that chose a technology to communicate their positions, but said positions were not part of the article.

but I'd add that this is newsworthy because it's the first political campaign to use this platform. There aren't articles about businesses that use iAds because that's for what they were originally designed. It's far from newsworthy.

But the first branching out of iAds to promote politics is. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #45 of 81

Rmoney can afford it.

post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post
Rmoney can afford it.

56_4200.jpg

post #47 of 81

However you feel about his politics, the man has undeniably presidential hair. You've got to give him that. Again, Apple upholds high standards. Admob would let any bad coiffure through.

post #48 of 81
Quote:

Jeff sums it up well,

but I'd add that this is newsworthy because it's the first political campaign to use this platform. There aren't articles about businesses that use iAds because that's for what they were originally designed. It's far from newsworthy.

But the first branching out of iAds to promote politics is. 

What is the difference between business and politics today? 

One may think these are two different things (as it should be) but it's not if we are honest enough to admit it.

Therefor I thought it was a good question to ask why other companies are not on the front page using iAds and political campaigns are.

It may be the first political strategy using iAds but still a fair question don't you think?

I know religion and politics are subjects which are very heavy for some people so to be clear I do not vote and don't choose any political or religious side. 

post #49 of 81
Quote:
…I do not vote and don't choose any political or religious side. 

Then why do you think you have a say in this at all? It's your duty to vote.

post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Canada is a territory of the US much like Putero Rico.
You wish !
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #51 of 81
Quote:

I guess we all get a say in everything that effects everybody but in my opinion there is no place for politics if the goal is a real democracy. 

post #52 of 81
Quote:
I guess we all get a say in everything that effects everybody but in my opinion there is no place for politics if the goal is a real democracy

The goal is being a well-functioning, non-corrupt republic. You want true democracy, hit up Switzerland. lol.gif

post #53 of 81
post #54 of 81

Yes, and as political mockery isn't the point of this thread, as has been said, I figured a little nudge back couldn't hurt.

And there's no wink emoticon.

post #55 of 81
Quote:

Comments about religion and politics are heavily discouraged. I've deleted most of those from this thread, still more may be deleted.

Thank you.  The Internet is a big place, there are better places to argue this stuff.

As far as Apple having anything to do with politics... gack.  What a hot button, esp. today.

post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

OMG man.  Look at the size of his head.

That's why we need an iPhone with a 4" screen!

post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Canada is a territory of the US much like Putero Rico.

I haven't been to "Putero Rico" lately.  Do they play hockey, drink Molson's and talk a bit different there, wherever it is?

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #58 of 81

So now I have to look at Romney's mug instead of a blank iAd box?  Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

post #59 of 81
Pretty obviously the admins on this forum are republicans. Why else delete a bunch of emails that poke fun at the spelling errors of Romney's campaign? These posts are not political at all, on the contrary the biggest political statement is the act of deleting the emails in the first place.
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Pretty obviously the admins on this forum are republicans. Why else delete a bunch of emails that poke fun at the spelling errors of Romney's campaign? These posts are not political at all, on the contrary the biggest political statement is the act of deleting the emails in the first place.

I think I can dig up an accusation that I'm batting for the Democrats. What would you say about that?
post #61 of 81
Quote:
I think I can dig up an accusation that I'm batting for the Democrats. What would you say about that?

You know you're doing your job right when you're called both an anti-Apple troll and a pro-Apple fanboy within the span of a few days.

And that's just in me DISCUSSING things on various websites! Not even in my moderation! lol.gif

The posts in this thread that were deleted were done so because they were outright political, pushing agendas on either side, which doesn't belong in this subform. I think Jeff would agree (I imagine he'd agree; he's the one that did the deleting). 

post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Does it really matter what admins in an exclusive tech oriented forum think or do with respect to a national election? We are a small minority and all of the electoral votes are already decided.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
…all of the electoral votes are already decided.

That's quite a bold statement to make before an election has even happened.

But agreed otherwise. lol.gif

post #64 of 81
Quote:

That's quite a bold statement to make before an election has even happened.

everything hence forth is just formalities 

post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
everything hence forth is just formalities 

So who will have won? I could really clean up on some bets.

post #66 of 81

Deleted

..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
post #67 of 81
Quote:

I agree and it is a duty not enough people do, unfortunately - particularly the young.  If you don't vote, then I believe you have no right to complain at the stupidity of the eventual winners.. :-)

Down here in NZ I have never seen an iAd either, all I know about them is what I read here in the forum.  Political iAds seems like the sort of thing that will happen more and more as politicians realise people are spending more time online on their phones than ever before..

post #68 of 81
Not being from the US I couldn't care less who win the election circus but it's pretty obvious that not even being able to mock Romney and his spelling challenged team is political.
post #69 of 81

That's like saying that its not fair to blame the thief when the store owner forgot to lock the door.

post #70 of 81
Romney needs to fire his photographer. That high noon shot is completely distracting and unflattering.
post #71 of 81
Hope Apple is getting its money up front. Political campaigns in general (this is not a partisan statement) are notorious for failing to pay their bills.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Political campaigns in general (this is not a partisan statement) are notorious for failing to pay their bills.

Indeed. They usually run out of other people's money.

post #73 of 81
If the Romney campaign is distributing that wallpaper, I hope Apple sues him for billions for copyright violation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #74 of 81

So let me get this straight. Apple insider posts what amounts to troll bait and has a problem with people responding in kind. I think the users should be allowed to opt out of political advertisements. 

post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So let me get this straight. Apple insider posts what amounts to troll bait and has a problem with people responding in kind. I think the users should be allowed to opt out of political advertisements. 

Posting Apple-related news about a political campaign is not comparable to using it as an excuse to shit all over the thread by people with political and religious axes to grind. The article doesn't take a position for or against the man's candidacy, or mention his religion or politics. It's almost as if mentioning a politician's name is considered troll bait.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/10/12 at 8:38am
post #76 of 81

One more place for politics and religion... My phone. I'd rather discuss it over a bottle of Jaegermeister and a carton of smokes as I detest both politics and religion.

post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

I agree and it is a duty not enough people do, unfortunately - particularly the young.  If you don't vote, then I believe you have no right to complain at the stupidity of the eventual winners.. :-)

In the US on a national level your vote means almost nothing since the delegates are decided by the entire state not by popular vote.  There are only a couple swing states that could make a difference, but even those are pretty much a foregone conclusion. National elections are bought months in advance, not won on election day.  You should vote though, concerning your local, city and county candidates and ballot measures because there your vote actually counts. 

post #78 of 81

Oooh, that's good!  I know EXACTLY what you mean.  Glad you could get your comment in first.

There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
post #79 of 81

Like any proper geek, I'm voting for Cthulhu.

post #80 of 81
Quote:

So who will have won? I could really clean up on some bets.

You need to cover the spread too.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mitt Romney becomes first politician to use Apple's iAd service