or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display - Page 5

post #161 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypez View Post

just seems to me in all my uses i never find myself needing a library of music or all my movies on a laptop when i leave the house?  and to pull out a usb 3 external hd that fits in my hand doesn't seem a big deal to me.   guess im just living in the future or something =D

or getting ready to live in the cloud? Laptops are probably even more presumed to be networked than pads. High storage volumes are going to be SO "first decade" rather soon I suspect.

post #162 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypez View Post

TBH:  The high end non retina 15in macbook pro is the same price as the entry retina with nearly same specs besides the old 5400 hd.   so the pricing isn't that bad and for those who say "256 SSD is so small omg i want my 5400 awesomeness."  get over it buy an external and move on.  for 2199 price tag this thing is nice.  it has alot new features not just the retina display.  the new cooling system is amazing and the build of the laptop itself was enough for me to purchase.   so TY apple for not sticking to the norm and changing everything again with little to any price hike!

A better solution than buying an external hard drive (pretty silly to have a laptop that requires one), would be to take the space where an optical bay used to be and install a convential HDD.  I would far prefer this to a thinner design.  A 256GB or 500GB SSD, and a 1 TB HDD.   Perfect.  Apple's single-minded focus on size results in missed opportunities like this.  

The RAM situation in these MacBooks is a joke, too.  Soldered RAM?  WTF?  For a "Pro" laptop, 32GB RAM should be an option.  I'd also like to see the CPU installed in a proper socket so it can be upgraded, but it's at least understandable that Apple solder it on the logic board.  Not so for the RAM.

Additionally, for a "Pro" laptop, Apple should have at least one model, such as the 17 incher, that has an SSD boot drive and two hot swapable bays with external access for two HDDs.  There's plenty of space as long as they don't go making it too thin.  These are the sorts of killer features Apple needs to go along with the killer Retina display.  The goal with a laptop should be to need as few external peripherals as possible, otherwise carrying your system anywhere takes a freakin' suitcase or the like.  

post #163 of 251

The new MacBook Pro is clearly a brilliant replacement for both the current 15" and 17" models. Incredibly powerful, who needs a big heavyweight redundant desk-bound tower? Just plug the new 15" into an Apple display and you have the perfect desktop system as well as the perfect laptop.

That said, keeping the existing 13" and 15" models seems very schizophrenic. Don't Apple believe in their new 15" machine? And where was the new 13" MacBook Pro? Maybe the new 13" Air is good enough? But if it is, couldn't it have had the retina treatment too?

And if you have a 13" model and 15" model,, why not have a single enclosure design? And if you couldn't fit all that hardware in slim Air 15" unibody, why not offer a 13" new design too?

I'm not saying that I'm unimpressed, but the new models seems to lack the clear vision and focus that accompanied the first unibody MBPs. I am a little bit worried by this - it's very un-Steve. But maybe the wisdom of the various decisions behind the latest product technology choices will become obvious as i see these machines in the flesh. 

I am interested to see expert opinion on these new machines. 

post #164 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Moderators here aren't too bright, are they?

Here's a clue:  Apple's $2199 MacBook is gimped on memory and drive space.  Once you put in a larger SSD and max the RAM, it's at $3000 or even more.  

8 GBs of RAM is not gimped. That's more than enough for the vast range of computer uses people will need this thing for. 16 GBs is $200 more (actually relatively reasonable) for those who will need more (or who anticipate needing more). Not a huge fan of soldering them in (if that's the case), but an intelligent purchase should handle that well enough. 256 GBs of storage isn't super delightful but it will work for many people depending on their requirements, though that's something I imagine more people will want to upgrade. In any case, it is not worth insulting someone over, and it also doesn't excuse someone from saying that a $2200 laptop is a $3000 laptop (also noting that the 512 GB option is $2800).

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #165 of 251
Quote:
Moderators here aren't too bright, are they?

Here's a clue:  Apple's $2199 MacBook is gimped on memory and drive space.  Once you put in a larger SSD and max the RAM, it's at $3000 or even more.  

So explain to me why Apple has "$2,199" on their website. They obviously got something wrong. Or you did. Whichever makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
Wayyyyy too expensive! I can get a fully loaded iMac for cheaper.

They're not even in the same product category. How can you compare them?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #166 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

That said, keeping the existing 13" and 15" models seems very schizophrenic. Don't Apple believe in their new 15" machine? And where was the new 13" MacBook Pro? Maybe the new 13" Air is good enough? But if it is, couldn't it have had the retina treatment too?

It seemed a little unusual to me too, but as I think of it it does make more sense. I have a feeling these machines are highly dedicated to providing certain specifications like battery life with that retina display and the extra space saved by cutting out the likes of an optical drive and even a mechanical hard drive played a key role in that (these laptops are packed). Some professionals are going to want the option of a huge mechanical hard drive or might not want to invest in features like a retina display, might just want to save money (the cost has more to do with just the Retina display), or will (I'm certain) have any other number of reasons for preferring a laptop which doesn't make one of the highly specialized changes found in this particular model. The cheaper MacBooks will be appropriate for them.

I imagine Apple will cut out the 'old' MacBooks and there will just be one line of MacBook Pros along these lines when all the technologies and costs converge properly. And it isn't like professional users, studios, and companies will have much trouble traversing the specifics of the MacBook lineup Apple is currently offering.

Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #167 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

8 GBs of RAM is not gimped. 

You wouldn't say that if you knew what Apple was paying for that RAM. I'd wager far less than $50. 

The Apple premium for SSD is even more outrageous. 

post #168 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe View Post

At these prices I should probably be thankful they don't have a 17" model. Yikes. 

I don't get it; iPad gets retina display and more memory but the price doesn't change. SSD prices are plummeting and the new MacBook explodes in price. Maybe Apple is anticipating low volume. Maybe they don't care to make that much of an impact on the market beyond twitters. 

Until apps are upgraded to take advantage of the new display this is just a very, very expensive toy. 

There is certainly lower volume with all Macs combined (not just one type of Mac notebook) than the iPad but there are also other dynamics at work. Consider the previous iPad. If they released it with the same resolution this year it would be well below the other tablets coming to market which could hurt it's attempt at dominating the unit market share of the tablet market. Same goes for raising the price.

I don't think Macs are in that flux state like the still nascent modern tablet market. But you also need to consider other costs with the new MBPs. It's a new design, not just a new CPU and chipset (that supports USB 3.0). How much does that cost? What about the 2nd TB port? Is that just daisy-chained off the 1st one or can you theoretically get 2x10GB off each port?

What about other HW changes? Does that new display and glass process with the milled lid cost more or less than the old MBP? And why assume that iPad display change doesn't have higher costs in the 13" and 15" sizes? The area and pixel count are both significantly increased.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #169 of 251
Quote:

You wouldn't say that if you knew what Apple was paying for that RAM. I'd wager far less than $50. 

The Apple premium for SSD is even more outrageous. 

So $200 for an additional 8GB of RAM is outrageous only because Apple's wholesale component costs (not including design, production, warranties, etc.) are less than what they charge? FFS!

post #170 of 251
Quote:

8 GBs of RAM is not gimped. That's more than enough for the vast range of computer uses people will need this thing for. 16 GBs is $200 more (actually relatively reasonable) for those who will need more (or who anticipate needing more). Not a huge fan of soldering them in (if that's the case), but an intelligent purchase should handle that well enough. 256 GBs of storage isn't super delightful but it will work for many people depending on their requirements, though that's something I imagine more people will want to upgrade. In any case, it is not worth insulting someone over, and it also doesn't excuse someone from saying that a $2200 laptop is a $3000 laptop (also noting that the 512 GB option is $2800).

8GB is gimped. And for a Pro system entry level should be at 16GB. W're talking about a Pro system and I can punch that memory till its maxed in 5 minutes.

post #171 of 251

Overpriced Crap and where the F*u*c*k is the iMac

post #172 of 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

8GB is gimped. And for a Pro system entry level should be at 16GB. W're talking about a Pro system and I can punch that memory till its maxed in 5 minutes.

Gimped for you, gimped for video editors, underpowered for me, but plenty for a wide range of professionals. An upgrade is available. 16 GBs is more than enough for the vast majority of professionals out there.

Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #173 of 251
Quote:

Skimming through the thread, it seems that many users don't have the slightest fu[king clue about implications of display resolutions or how Apple is dealing with the ultra-high resolution Retina displays.  Apple would be wise to put up an explanation on their website, and not a marketing gobblygook statement, I mean a real, honest white paper discussion of ultra-high resolutions and what they mean for end users.  Otherwise every Windows user you meet is going to be snarking at Apple's tiny font sizes, LOL.  

I agree that the new age of rez and retina needs MUCH more 'splaining to we non-engineers.  This takes me back to 15 years ago poring over the meanings and implications of dpi vs ppi, vector vs. raster, RGB vs CMYK vs. LAB and other such conundrums I'd never encountered.  And Apple - and Apple-centric sites - would be well served to help us tease this all out.  As in when is a pixel more than a pixel?  Is a doubled 1440x900 display truly able to display 1080p content using most or all of the screen - and if so will that require interpolation or a mode change of some sort.... .....and well, I know I'm confused....

But apparently from your comment, you're also one of the "many users" who "don't have the slightest fu[king clue about implications of display resolutions or how Apple is dealing with the ultra-high resolution Retina displays" - as the type, will not, of course be tiny - on software optimized for the new age at least.

Quote:

I was mildly surprised to see Apple adding so many SKU's with different compromises myself.  But thinking about it, and Apple's history, it comes down - at least partially - to price points and legacy freaks, guy.  $1199 to $2199 with nothing between is a hefty price gap - and ultra-slimness is not on everyone's req list.   And finally, apparently quite a few people still like to make shiny silver coasters.  Tho' honestly I was expecting something like the new Pro - along with a 15" MBA and a bumped 13" MBA rather than what we got.

I know we won't see the model by model sales breakdown - but we will see that reflected in next year's line up.  I'll be interested.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #174 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

More like, "BA HA HA HA HA HA No Ethernet?! Failure!"

Of course this thing is going to be $3,000 BASE price… Just watch.

According to AnandTech: "The base configurations comes with 8 GB of DRAM, a 256 GB NAND SSD, and a 2.3 GHz quad-core chip.  That variant costs $2199 USD, a cost Apple promises is due to all its custom components like "asymmetrical fans" and other ultrathin oddiities."

If that is correct, it is good price for very sweet unit.

Ethernet would be nice, though - I've been in a number of hotels (couple of Hiltons included) in Australia, Europe and US... with only wired Internet in rooms. This can be sorted with cheap USB-to-Ethernet adapter, though, so not a major.

I don't really think this will scare other manufacturers, though. They are more anxious what Apple is doing in more masinstream segments - Airs and lower end MBPs. Not so many people need that resolution on 15.4" laptop, and even among them who would like to have it - not too many will be willing to pay the price. I am hoping, though, that moves like this will inspire PC makers to start improving screen quality on their units. My wife has recently purchased basic Sony VAIO SB, and it is great portable for great price - but I'd gladly put some extra money to have that unit with IPS screen of a bit more decent resolution (that 1366*768).

post #175 of 251

Apple closed at 571.17 a drop of 9.15 on a major product launch day......... hmmmn

post #176 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post
According to AnandTech: "The base configurations comes with 8 GB of DRAM, a 256 GB NAND SSD, and a 2.3 GHz quad-core chip.  That variant costs $2199 USD, a cost Apple promises is due to all its custom components like "asymmetrical fans" and other ultrathin oddiities."

If that is correct, it is good price for very sweet unit.

Ethernet would be nice, though - I've been in a number of hotels (couple of Hiltons included) in Australia, Europe and US... with only wired Internet in rooms. This can be sorted with cheap USB-to-Ethernet adapter, though, so not a major.

Exactly; I was quite surprised.

And even the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter is cheap.

post #177 of 251

Only thing to wish for is better graphics.... sadly won't happen at 85 watts :(

I bet if you crammed 7970m or 680m (don't know which has less power use)  It could run games at that resolution.

Of course, the computer is made for more than gaming ^^

very nice... now i wish i had 2400 to spend (after tax prices :S)

:(

Great update :D

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #178 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

Apple closed at 571.17 a drop of 9.15 on a major product launch day......... hmmmn

Nothing new here.  Expectations are always ridiculous at Apple Keynotes - the updates get denounced as no big deal, or lacking this feature or that (and in this case "Where's that TV they promised" (NOT) - and then Apple sells a ton of new product.....  ...SSDD (which is not the same as SSD, btw....)

Also for those wondering where the iMac refresh is - I wouldn't worry.  Sometime around Mountain Lion's release I would wager.  

The Pro "update" was certainly underwhelming, though, kind of like damning with faint praise.  A newer gen Xeon is out (tho' I'm no expert on that aspect).  And where's TB??  I mean who's a more likely customer for the emerging but still spendy set of TB peripherals??  And so is it the last (TB-less) hurrah, or is the line being kept alive for a real refresh??  It's one thing (i.e., great marketing abetted by huge amounts of free press coverage) to tease and whet the appetite for the mass market devices, but another to keep pros - who have to do strategic planning sometimes years in advance - in the dark.

post #179 of 251

I bought one custom and got my confirmation more than two hours ago. Super excited. Won't arrive for 10-14 days. My first Mac!

post #180 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Further proof that Apple is so ahead of the consumer tech game (from what we've seen in this keynote especially) that people STILL don't understand Apple's display technologies. And that's just ONE piece of the Apple ecosystem puzzle. 

Apple just dropped a bomb on the entire PC industry - and not just with Retina displays, rendering most current non-Apple notebook offerings into pure junk. You can bet every cpu cycle in your Dell that after this keynote, the competition is running back to their laughable R&D departments in absolute panic. 

Get with the program. 

Get with the reality...

post #181 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

A USB-to-GbE adapter on Monoprice is $19 which I find surprisingly high. On top of that it says USB2.0 so I don't know how they can offer GbE.

For the price I'd think I'd pay the extra $10 for Apple's TB-to-GbE adapter. I know it'll be faster, I know it'll work with OS X, and there are only USB ports. That last item I would like to rant about! I don't want an HDMI out port (the 3rd video out port on those MBPs) if it comes at the expense of USB. It does lead me to believe that TB will be more heavily used... like in upcoming iDevices.

edit: Monoprice also has an adapter for only $7 sans shipping: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=6150&seq=1&format=2

post #182 of 251

So it's a nice looking machine that will appeal to many, but there are some serious shortcomings.

Pro:

Awesome new display

Powerful new GPU

Latest CPU

Fast SSD

USB 3.0

Con:

RAM soldered - no upgrades ever, forced to pay inflated Apple prices for an inexpensive commodity item

SSD soldered - no upgrades ever, expensive to replace if it fails, locked into Apple as your sole supplier

Ethernet dongle - one more silly little adapter to lose, not corporate friendly, 802.11n is painfully slow when trying to cope with 80 devices.

Need to carry an external drive if your storage needs exceed SSD capacity

As for not offering any kind of 17" display (Air, Pro, retina Pro)...

In order to work efficiently I need enough physical screen size to display my work at a size I can read. There is a text size below which my eyes simply cannot read. It doesn't matter whether the display has 110ppi, 220ppi or 22,000ppi.

post #183 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffjumper68 View Post

This is really just a nice 15 inch air, not a lot of storage space.

Well, you can get it with up to 768GB of SSD storage. Price is probably out of this world, but for pros who actually make money using their tech... shouldn't be a problem.

post #184 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A USB-to-GbE adapter on Monoprice is $19 which I find surprisingly high. On top of that it says USB2.0 so I don't know how they can offer GbE.
For the price I'd think I'd pay the extra $10 for Apple's TB-to-GbE adapter. I know it'll be faster, I know it'll work with OS X, and there are only USB ports. That last item I would like to rant about! I don't want an HDMI out port (the 3rd video out port on those MBPs) if it comes at the expense of USB. It does lead me to believe that TB will be more heavily used... like in upcoming iDevices.
edit: Monoprice also has an adapter for only $7 sans shipping: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=6150&seq=1&format=2

No argue here - I just didn't bother checking if TB-to-Ethernet is available, since I knew USB-to-Ethernet is. But in general, I wouldn't have a problem to put up to $50 in decent external Ethernet, as long as it is reliable.

3rd USB would be sweet, though. Having, say, iPhone USB cable and mouse plugged (or external HDD, USB headset... whatever) and you are quickly out of USB ports. Of course, there are USB hubs, but still. Such a sweet unit doesn't deserve ugly dongles hanging all around it :)

post #185 of 251

I can't think of a single reason why I would need a retina display on a laptop other than to show off. Many of my colleagues already think Apple kit is just for posers.

I would like to upgrade my current 17" MBP but I don't want to go down to a 15" screen. Thanks for nothing Apple.

post #186 of 251
Quote:

8GB is gimped because  its soldered on, if it was upgradable it would have been pretty cool, same goes with the 200GB SSD

post #187 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcLevy View Post

I bought one custom and got my confirmation more than two hours ago. Super excited. Won't arrive for 10-14 days. My first Mac!

Very nice :)

Welcome to the dark side.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #188 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No OS X, no Apple ecosystem, NO SALE. 

You still don't get it. 

You still don't get that os x and it's Eco system are nothing to write home about anymore, get a clue on where the completion is currently. As someone else said apple can't be offering a pro machine with 256gb storage circa whitebook 2006 and have you tag along an external (as well as that ethernet dongle, they can't solder the ram just because they want you to buy only from them. Apple cannot really think their pro users will only require 256gb of storage now can they? It's like the 16gbs iPads they sell, a joke for the storage the average usage of the device requires. Only in apple la la land would a pro machine sell for $2000 and have 256gbs of storage.

There's no advantage whatsoever for ommiting the hard drive, it's what should have been there since the optical is gone. The only "advantage" is that they ll make tons of cash off of selling the extra ssd storage option to you

To os x users such as myself who aren't there because of the Eco system but because they have gotten used to what used to be a great os this is here blackmail. And at the moment 8gb ram what with the way they ve not been doing their work in os x is the absolute minimum for a mac for a pro user, I have a mini at 4gbs and it's the worst kind of dog, and I don't push it at all hard with my usage.

If anyone cuts through all the bs marketing crap this is an overpriced computer with serious limitations in terms of storage and serious limitations in terms of upgrading or replacing a problematic ram module, that's just thinner and has a high dpi panel. This thing only about the screen, in very other respect it's a compromise.
post #189 of 251

I just ordered mine,  been waiting for this one.

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage

should take 15 days to get, and then Mt. Lion.

post #190 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post
You still don't get that os x and it's Eco system are nothing to write home about anymore, get a clue on where the completion is currently.

Looking… looking… Windows 8. Your argument instantly invalidates itself.

Quote:
If anyone cuts through all the bs marketing crap this is an overpriced computer with serious limitations in terms of storage and serious limitations in terms of upgrading or replacing a problematic ram module, that's just thinner and has a high dpi panel. This thing only about the screen, in very other respect it's a compromise.

We'll have to wait three months, but I figure you'll be proven wrong, just as everyone who bets against Apple has been in the past.

post #191 of 251

Is it expensive?  Sure, but it is a PREMIUM labtop.  Not sure why people feel the price is unfair compare with the previous version.  A lot of people are comparing it with the iPad which they feel is 'fair' (retina for same prices).  But let's look this more in depth

iPad2 vs new iPad (same price point)

CPU - same

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - same

Macbook pro (late 2011) vs new Retina Macbook Pro

First, we have to remember we are going from hdd to ssd and the prices aren't comparable for them. So we will have to compare with the Macbook pro (late 2011) with the 256 ssd upgrade which I think was $1799+$600 ($200 more expensive!!!) from Apple.  Say you didn't go with the Apple BTO option, in late 2011, you probably could have added a similiar 256 SSD for $400 (total $2199).

CPU - upgrade

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - improved (but loses the DVD drive)

So in fact, the new Retina Macbook Pro is priced very competitively compare to the previous Macbook Pros with SSD.  Would I think it to be cheaper or more storage for the same price?  Sure.  The same way I would like BMWs to have the same prices as Honda.

post #192 of 251
Quote:

At these prices I should probably be thankful they don't have a 17" model. Yikes. 

I don't get it; iPad gets retina display and more memory but the price doesn't change. SSD prices are plummeting and the new MacBook explodes in price. Maybe Apple is anticipating low volume. Maybe they don't care to make that much of an impact on the market beyond twitters. 

Until apps are upgraded to take advantage of the new display this is just a very, very expensive toy. 

The ways people can rationalise apple taking advantage of them, simply unbelievable. I have at least 20hbs of photos, about 50 gbs of work related PDF files, books, manuals, papers, about 50gbs pf music, and my apps run at another 40gbs at least. My job requires me to have a database of my past work and a third of it is 100gbs and I am not even a music or video professional, and I can't fit a thing to a super expensive notebook, not because there's any inherent problem of having a hard drive of 1tb in there. But because apple make their money off of overpriced ssd and they don't want to give me the extra space they saved without the optical and with sticking the ssd on the motherboard.

It's 2012 and they still won't even offer the option for a second hard drive instead of optical on the non retina MacBook pro...
post #193 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post
The ways people can rationalise apple taking advantage of them, simply unbelievable. I have at least 20hbs of photos, about 50 gbs of work related PDF files, books, manuals, papers, about 50gbs pf music, and my apps run at another 40gbs at least. My job requires me to have a database of my past work and a third of it is 100gbs and I am not even a music or video professional, and I can't fit a thing to a super expensive notebook, not because there's any inherent problem of having a hard drive of 1tb in there. But because apple make their money off of overpriced ssd and they don't want to give me the extra space they saved without the optical and with sticking the ssd on the motherboard.
It's 2012 and they still won't even offer the option for a second hard drive instead of optical on the non retina MacBook pro...

Seems that nothing Apple makes fits your bill. Best start looking elsewhere.

post #194 of 251

I ordered mine today as soon as it was available. Bought the "base" version but it's quite sufficient for my needs. If you added up the new Retina Display, 256GB SSD, dual Thunderbolt ports and other improvements over the existing 15" MBP, it's actually a very fair deal. And my EPP discount paid for the sales tax. Will be delivered some time between 6/22 - 6/25. Checked the store later in the day and now shipping time is up to 2-3 weeks. 

post #195 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems that nothing Apple makes fits your bill. Best start looking elsewhere.

Excuse me man, I am like come get my money for the retina mac with less glare, I 've been waiting for this as well as maybe new imacs for a few months.  Here we are now and I have to spent tons of money for 256gbs of storage for a device that's compromising my ram upgrades and solders the ram for no reason just to get the effing retina that costs them an extra $80-$100. Do you you think that should make me happy? That I ll have to suffer through white macbook storage levels from 5 years ago, that I ll have to carry an ethernet dongle and an external hard drive and if the on board motherboard memory goes bad I am chucking the whole thing out of the window, or paying even more money to apple for applecare which won't last me for more than 3 years anyway, and after that anything goes wrong with the ram it's goodbye to the whole thing. And all that for a very, very expensive pro notebook? In what warped reality are you guys living in which all that should make me a happy mac user? 

I ask everyone here in good faith to tell, if this had been apple from four or five years ago when they gave a crap for their users and they were not milking them for all they could taking advantage of their market position would they or wouldn't they have released a slimmer macbook pro with either an ssd and a hard drive or a hybrid with user upgradable ram, retina, just a hair thicker and priced it lower than what we have today (cause it would cost less). Why shouldn't I have this set up costing me $2000 with 16gbs of ram and instead I have to go to $4300 that is the mac plus applecare cause you really can't have soldered memory without coverage now can you? I don't gain any real advantage of having the less used files on an ssd too. I don't gain any real advantage from a milimeter of more thinness or from soldered ram. Apple on the other hand are having ludicrously high margins on this. 

post #196 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vthree View Post

Is it expensive?  Sure, but it is a PREMIUM labtop.  Not sure why people feel the price is unfair compare with the previous version.  A lot of people are comparing it with the iPad which they feel is 'fair' (retina for same prices).  But let's look this more in depth

iPad2 vs new iPad (same price point)

CPU - same

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - same

Macbook pro (late 2011) vs new Retina Macbook Pro

First, we have to remember we are going from hdd to ssd and the prices aren't comparable for them. So we will have to compare with the Macbook pro (late 2011) with the 256 ssd upgrade which I think was $1799+$600 ($200 more expensive!!!) from Apple.  Say you didn't go with the Apple BTO option, in late 2011, you probably could have added a similiar 256 SSD for $400 (total $2199).

CPU - upgrade

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - improved (but loses the DVD drive)

So in fact, the new Retina Macbook Pro is priced very competitively compare to the previous Macbook Pros with SSD.  Would I think it to be cheaper or more storage for the same price?  Sure.  The same way I would like BMWs to have the same prices as Honda.

wrong the ipad has dboule the capacity in its new battery.

post #197 of 251

Shipping says 2-3 weeks.

Is this thing selling that fast?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #198 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

A 3 grand laptop in the middle of a worldwide economic crisis - I don't the PC makers are going to be losing too much sleep tonight.

Quit whining about the price. 

First of all the base model is $2,199 - this is pretty aggressive considering it has a SSD + retina display.

Second, all the old MBP models are still around. Too expensive? Get one of the standard models!

Third, and most importantly, if you use your computer to do your work, every day, 365 days a year, $3k is (hopefully) within your buying capacity. I had my previous 17" MBP, which also cost $3k, for 3 years now. That's $1,000 / year or about $85 / month! Quite reasonable, I think. That's not even considering I could still sell it for close to $1000. If you factor that in then the term "deal of the century" comes to mind.

If all you do is Facebook, then clearly getting a retina MBP is a luxury. But use it for work, the price really doesn't matter very much.

Just ordered, by the way... can't wait... :P

post #199 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Shipping says 2-3 weeks.

Is this thing selling that fast?

Got 3-5 weeks over here (Asia) :(

Oh well... I hope they're hedging their bets with that one... and I am sure they're selling like hotcakes. I've been waiting patently with a pile of money at the ready since last year...

post #200 of 251
Quote:

The new MacBook Pro is clearly a brilliant replacement for both the current 15" and 17" models. Incredibly powerful, who needs a big heavyweight redundant desk-bound tower? Just plug the new 15" into an Apple display and you have the perfect desktop system as well as the perfect laptop.

They are not schizophrenic at all. You don't get what they are doing, they only offer retina on the high end macbook pro as a selling point so they can at the same time cripple it from storage options (hence no dual hd and ssd, hence ssd only and no option for a hard disk), solder the ram (so you get that too from them) and you end up paying at least $3000 for the benefit of a mac with retina and barely decent storage. Had they put retina in the 13" air (and they very well could seeing as they have even smaller screens) they 'd be no point overpaying for the macbook pro for a lot of people just to get the retina. A lot of people would get the slimmer and lighter 13" air with a retina. Now anyone who wants a retina will have to go only with the new mbp and pay a hell of a lot of money for a component that isn't costing them more than $100. It's all very well planned to get as much money as they possibly can from the buyer. The model that has one advanced feature that no other has is the one they are hitting the hardest in terms of price and crippling the most. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display