or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display - Page 6

post #201 of 251

I'm in Japan.  US is also 2-3 weeks.

 

I didn't check first thing so I don't know if it has sold out of initial stock or not; that's what I was trying to ask.  I haven't slept since yesterday  so pardon if the question was not clear.

 

If it is selling that fast, then the nay-sayers, again, are off the mark.  I remember the original MaBook Air and the bashing it received, though it was being hit for slightly different reasons.

 

Not everybody will like it.  Not everybody will need it.  Not everybody will be able to afford it.  That's life.  It doesn't make it a bad machine.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #202 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Looking… looking… Windows 8. Your argument instantly invalidates itself.

 

 

We'll have to wait three months, but I figure you'll be proven wrong, just as everyone who bets against Apple has been in the past.

 

In the past few years - decade? - maybe; but a bit further in the past, betting against Apple was common sense.

 

However, people who didn't realize winds of change coming from Apple made some huge mistake with their "rounding number errors" etc.

 

But not accepting possibility that others can make an u-turn is equal mistake. Especially those who don't need such an extreme U-turn Apple required in bad old days of subsistence.

 

In short, while ego-boosting is all good and self-therapeutic, one should never underestimate competition.

 

While I'm personally not overly enthusiastic with Metro on desktop, I'm well aware it is consumer preview only... so I'll keep my final judgment until I can actually see how new Windows ecosystem with phones, tablets, desktops and services (Hotmail, SkyDrive, Windows Live...) turn out to be.


Edited by nikon133 - 6/11/12 at 8:14pm
post #203 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


The ways people can rationalise apple taking advantage of them, simply unbelievable. I have at least 20hbs of photos, about 50 gbs of work related PDF files, books, manuals, papers, about 50gbs pf music, and my apps run at another 40gbs at least. My job requires me to have a database of my past work and a third of it is 100gbs and I am not even a music or video professional, and I can't fit a thing to a super expensive notebook, not because there's any inherent problem of having a hard drive of 1tb in there. But because apple make their money off of overpriced ssd and they don't want to give me the extra space they saved without the optical and with sticking the ssd on the motherboard.
It's 2012 and they still won't even offer the option for a second hard drive instead of optical on the non retina MacBook pro...


Actually, optional 1TB or larger HDD is addition to SSD would be nice...

post #204 of 251

Nice machine. Good specs. Price could be better but its Apple so we're paying for it.

HDMI, Flash, USB3, Bluetooth 4.0 , Extended Battery Life all = dynamite features.

post #205 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

wrong the ipad has dboule the capacity in its new battery.


I am comparing battery hours (which is what most people go by, the new iPad actually dropped slightly).  The Retina Macbook Pro also has a larger battery in order to support the Retina display.  Although the ratio will be different from iPad since the display on iPad takes a bigger % of power compare to display of a Macbook Pro.  But for users, it is the battery hours that matter and not the mAh.

post #206 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

They are not schizophrenic at all. You don't get what they are doing, they only offer retina on the high end macbook pro as a selling point so they can at the same time cripple it from storage options (hence no dual hd and ssd, hence ssd only and no option for a hard disk), solder the ram (so you get that too from them) and you end up paying at least $3000 for the benefit of a mac with retina and barely decent storage. Had they put retina in the 13" air (and they very well could seeing as they have even smaller screens) they 'd be no point overpaying for the macbook pro for a lot of people just to get the retina. A lot of people would get the slimmer and lighter 13" air with a retina. Now anyone who wants a retina will have to go only with the new mbp and pay a hell of a lot of money for a component that isn't costing them more than $100. It's all very well planned to get as much money as they possibly can from the buyer. The model that has one advanced feature that no other has is the one they are hitting the hardest in terms of price and crippling the most. 

 

First of all, no one knows whether the onboard intel graphics can drive a Retina display at decent levels and how they would affect the battery without having to make the Air thicker (which defeats the purpose of the Air).  Notice they didn't release a 13" Retina Pro.  It is likely that it is very hard to fit discrete graphics, 7 hr battery, Retina all into a 13" slim body.

 

Could they have added the Retina to the Macbook Pro's with HDD at a lower price?  Probably.  But Retina is a premium feature (no one NEEDS Retina because until today, there were no Retina labtops) so Apple grouped it with other premium features SSD and slimmer body.  Of course, they can be like other vendors have have 100+ SKUs but Apple has never chosen that path.  And considering they upgraded the non Retina Macbook Pro with upgrades  like all the other vendors (ivy bridge) for same prices, not sure what the problem is. 

post #207 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems that nothing Apple makes fits your bill. Best start looking elsewhere.

 

I think people are squealing because this is a very desirable machine, and they can't afford it.  I want one too.

 

A high-end CPU, upper-midrange discrete GPU, very high end display, high end storage, thin and light, excellent connectivity, excellent battery life.   It seems miles ahead of the competition.

 

I bet practically every developer at WWDC is planning on buying one.


Edited by hypercommunist - 6/11/12 at 10:06pm
post #208 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Since I bought the new iPad, I will only buy products with retina displays from now on. Retina displays have completely ruined any satisfaction I may gain from using a device without one. Looking at the iPad 2s in the Apple Store makes me think "why did people ever buy such a pixelated antiquated piece of technology?" 

 

I have no use to upgrade my 2008 MacBook, however. The iPad has pretty much replaced most of what I do on my MacBook, and I have it hooked up to a 27" Cinema Display anyway, so, until they come out with a retina cinema display, I'm content :)

i totally agree with you the retina products from now on… 

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #209 of 251

2200 USD for a machine with 8 GB RAM? And the RAM is soldered, so you buy it and then have to live with it to the end. This is future according to Apple? Big price is being paid for "thin" (and I don't mean money).

post #210 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Question..

if for some reason i need windows 7 on bootcamp (games, software already bought or Vstudio..

how is windows going to look on this piece of amazing engineering?

Windows will treat it like a PC with a 2880x1800 display and nVidia GT650m graphics card.

It could work. Windows does have a high DPI icons and font settings, that could make the desktop applications useable. Not that I would waste a thing of beauty running Windows.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #211 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It could work. Windows does have a high DPI icons and font settings, that could make the desktop applications useable. Not that I would waste a thing of beauty running Windows.

very true. i wouldn't waste this beast too by running windows… can't wait to get one here in china. 

on chinese apple store it says can't order right now as it is not confirmed by the officials. 

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #212 of 251

Higher resolution without independent font control simply means more difficulty reading ever-smaller type.

 

Nice pictures, but a machine increasingly difficult to work with in non-visual terms.

 

As for Mountain Lion -- let's just say its interface and new features had better be a hell of a lot better than Lion was or forget it.  

 

I didn't buy a Mac to use an iPhone.

post #213 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

 

I think people are squealing because this is a very desirable machine, and they can't afford it.  I want one too.

 

A high-end CPU, upper-midrange discrete GPU, very high end display, high end storage, thin and light, excellent connectivity, excellent battery life.   It seems miles ahead of the competition.

 

I bet practically every developer at WWDC is planning on buying one.

 

I think your comment is spot on. The new retina-equipped MacBook Pro is gorgeous - Everyone wants one, but we balk at the price. Most of us don't need the power it offers. For most of us a 13" Air with a retina display would be enough. I accept, however, that there may be real issues combining battery life and GPU power to drive a retina display in a either a 13" or 15" wedge-shaped Air unibody design. I am sure we will see a 13" MBP at some point, and hopefully with a 1 TB SSD storage option.

 

A lot of posters have commented on the upgradeability of the new machine. What you buy is what you're stuck with. It is easy to cynically regard this as apple ensuring you'll replace your machine a few years down the line. My 13" MacBook Pro was bought in 2009 and has lasted almost four years. When I bought it, I got the maximum spec available and found no need to upgrade RAM or hard drive. I only needed to replace the battery. The outcome is that I've never kept any machine so long. I want to replace it, but I don't need to. I think a lot of people fall into the same camp. 

 

As it stands, the 15.4" Retina MBP is extremely enticing, but I'm still waiting for a 13" machine with a retina display and 1 TB of SSD for less than $2,000.  


Edited by Tailpipe - 6/12/12 at 5:55am
post #214 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

I was looking at getting the Dell U2711. I heard a few rumbles about the anti-glare coating. I wish i could see one before purchase.

 

I bought one, and returned it because of the anti-glare coating (thank you, B&H Photo for easy returns). If you like rainbow-sparkly whites, it's great... I'm using a Apple 27" now, and with a little effort not having trouble with glare, I'd still rather have a nice anti-glare monitor though...

post #215 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

8GB is gimped because  its soldered on, if it was upgradable it would have been pretty cool, same goes with the 200GB SSD

 

That does not make it 'gimped', it makes it permanent to some degree. Significant difference between the two. Again, there are people who could make good use of this laptop through its lifetime with the 8 GBs of RAM with no problem. It does require that someone be careful of their buying decision, though. If they believe there's a chance they'll need more RAM down the road they should definitely spend the extra $200 for the 16 GBs.

 

On the note of the parts being soldered, I've read that numerous times now, but where is the confirmation? Is it based on parts which have been leaked or an actual inspection of the device? I'd love to read more about that if someone can share. Though I'm sure iFixIt will have all the information we need in short order.

 

As for the SSD it would be nice to upgrade that. It is a technology which is improving and growing more affordable so it is the sort of thing a person might like to upgrade at some point in the device's lifetime, but not enough of a dealbreaker to make me (at least) think twice about the purchase. Just another case where I paid for an upgrade so I knew I'd have what I needed through the laptop's lifetime. iTunes Match actually addressed my only real storage concern anyway. Everything else can be addressed smoothly through external storage. I just wanted more than 256 GBs so I didn't actually have to worry about it.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #216 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

 

8GB is gimped. And for a Pro system entry level should be at 16GB. W're talking about a Pro system and I can punch that memory till its maxed in 5 minutes.

 

Doing what?

post #217 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple just dropped a bomb on the PC industry with these updates.

Yeah,  

  • Retina Display on laptop
  • Updated Siri
  • Thinner Laptop
  • Dumping google maps.

 

Who would have thunk it??   Oh wait,  They have been talking about these for over 6 months!!!   

post #218 of 251

I can't believe all the whining that is going on here.  This thing is priced very, very aggressively for the technology in it, and while you can get more powerful machines for the same price, you can't get the same combo of 256 GB SSD, 16 gig ram, high-res screen, etc...

post #219 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I can't believe all the whining that is going on here.  This thing is priced very, very aggressively for the technology in it, and while you can get more powerful machines for the same price, you can't get the same combo of 256 GB SSD, 16 gig ram, high-res screen, etc...

256GB SSD and 8GB ram not 16, that too all soldered in. 

post #220 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple just dropped a bomb on the PC industry with these updates.

 

 

LOL thats like saying Aston Martin dropped a bomb on the Consumer Car industry by introducing the 2012 DB9

post #221 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberoid View Post

Higher resolution without independent font control simply means more difficulty reading ever-smaller type.

Are you from the past? Are you saying that iPad 2 has smaller font than iPad 3?

 

LOL. You're funny.

post #222 of 251

...

post #223 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

256GB SSD and 8GB ram not 16, that too all soldered in. 

 

16 gig of ram is a 200 dollar upgrade on the 'base' MacBook Pro retina, so for 2499$ CDN you can have it.  An equivalent ThinkPad costs 2289$ CDN with a slightly better GPU but only 1080p screen, and smaller SSD capacity. 

post #224 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

 

 

LOL thats like saying Aston Martin dropped a bomb on the Consumer Car industry by introducing the 2012 DB9

Yes, he lives in a alternate universe where only Apple exists and destroyed every other company on the planet.

post #225 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

 

I think your comment is spot on. The new retina-equipped MacBook Pro is gorgeous - Everyone wants one, but we balk at the price. 

No we don't balk at the price, we balk at the price when it's base configured with 256gb of storage and 8gbs soldered ram, we balk at the fact that apple drop the optical but won't include a hard drive, and we balk at the fact that apple via soldering memory on and tightly controlling storage via flash and maxing it out at 756gb (and that only if one pays and ridiculously large sum of cash) are turning a pro machine into an ipod, via controlling storage and memory which are the components they make all these high margins from. A pro machine these days shouldn't max out at 756gbs period, and the user should be able to upgrade the ram on their pro machine if they wish to in the future. 

 

Btw, is the storage a user replacable component or does it void the warranty? That's well worth asking now.

post #226 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

No we don't balk at the price, we balk at the price when it's base configured with 256gb of storage and 8gbs soldered ram, we balk at the fact that apple drop the optical but won't include a hard drive, and we balk at the fact that apple via soldering memory on and tightly controlling storage via flash and maxing it out at 756gb (and that only if one pays and ridiculously large sum of cash) are turning a pro machine into an ipod, via controlling storage and memory which are the components they make all these high margins from. A pro machine these days shouldn't max out at 756gbs period, and the user should be able to upgrade the ram on their pro machine if they wish to in the future. 

 

Btw, is the storage a user replacable component or does it void the warranty? That's well worth asking now.

 

Just curious, but why does anyone need more than 256 GB of SSD space?  You can get an external drive as mass storage, leave it at home, no one needs more than 256 GB on the go...  Same goes for DVD drive - how often do you really use it?  I haven't used the DVD drive on my TOWER in years (I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work).

 

I personally disagree with some of the directions Apple is going (vendor lock-in), but the hardware on the new MacBook Pro is definitely a good direction.  All flash storage, no optical drives, high-res screen - these have been on my wishlist for a long, long time.  If I can get my favourite Linux distribution running properly on the retina display I'm 100% sold (right now just 90% sold)... 

post #227 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

 

Just curious, but why does anyone need more than 256 GB of SSD space?  You can get an external drive as mass storage, leave it at home, no one needs more than 256 GB on the go...  Same goes for DVD drive - how often do you really use it?  I haven't used the DVD drive on my TOWER in years (I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work).

 

I personally disagree with some of the directions Apple is going (vendor lock-in), but the hardware on the new MacBook Pro is definitely a good direction.  All flash storage, no optical drives, high-res screen - these have been on my wishlist for a long, long time.  If I can get my favourite Linux distribution running properly on the retina display I'm 100% sold (right now just 90% sold)... 

Programmers and photographers could easily go past 256GB of space and as this is a "Pro" machine they could be part of the target market.

post #228 of 251

SSD appears to be upgradeable. Only $200 to max out the ram and you can see on the internal view of the motherboard that apple is showing off that the SSD is easily removable.retinamacbook.jpeg


Edited by BDBLACK - 6/13/12 at 4:54am
post #229 of 251
Does anyone know if the thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable is included in the package? I need FireWire to operate my camera. Couldn't find it sold separately at the apple store...
post #230 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wilhelm View Post

Does anyone know if the thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable is included in the package? I need FireWire to operate my camera. Couldn't find it sold separately at the apple store…

No, it's not included. It doesn't exist yet. It'll be out in a month or so.
post #231 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Just curious, but why does anyone need more than 256 GB of SSD space?  You can get an external drive as mass storage, leave it at home, no one needs more than 256 GB on the go...  Same goes for DVD drive - how often do you really use it?  I haven't used the DVD drive on my TOWER in years (I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work).

I personally disagree with some of the directions Apple is going (vendor lock-in), but the hardware on the new MacBook Pro is definitely a good direction.  All flash storage, no optical drives, high-res screen - these have been on my wishlist for a long, long time.  If I can get my favourite Linux distribution running properly on the retina display I'm 100% sold (right now just 90% sold)... 

My breakdown is about 50gb of audio, music, podcasts, audio books.
At least 20gbs for apps.
I need to sync my idevices you know, i cannot rely on my iMac because many times I ll be on the go and I will need to take something on or off the device. Apple isn't making it easy to me to sync with more than one iTunes library. This would have been btw the real addition in ios 6 not effing Facebook, Siri and 3d maps...
A database of about 100gbs for work that I refer to in case I need to see how I approached a problem before, or show to clients( that's just 1/5 of my full db)
At least 20gb for os and apps.
My library of work related journal articles and books, at least 30gbs
I will have at least 3-4 hq movies in there at about 10gbs.

How much space do I think have left to offload a movie say I take on the idevices to the pro when on the go? How much space do I have left for pretty much anything else I d like to add in terms of music, journals, books and manuals PDFs, photos, etc. etc. Should I be offloading back and forth from an external. It's a damn pro for crying out load, people used to be able to have 1tb hard drives and were looking for the optical to go to add even more storage.

How many professional people will have much less than 100gb for their work portfolio, most will have much more, ESP. So media professionals and I am not one. I shudder to think being in the photos, music or video npbiz and having this amount of storage. I imagine raw media files in any of these can easily get you to 1tb without anything else on top.

A50 gbs for a music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc. line is also pretty normal these days.

Do you think this scenario isn't pretty modest?

Why' did people need more than 256gbs in white MacBooks circa 2007 or 2008? Every decision that apple takes has to be rationalised all the time that it's in favour of the user? how come? Ehetrnet gone have a dongle, storage not up to 2012 levels for most pros get an external, floppy not there (agreed with that, I wanted it to go to) get an external one.l.

This is clearly a desicion motivated by the fact that apple have huge margins on flash and they want to tightly control storage on the iPods, sorry MacBook pros. The drive isn't there because that would give people an alternative that wouldn't have them pay even more to apple at 50% margins. And you know what? Apple make some pretty good devices, but that's about it, maybe they should get along Witt the times at of everyone else in the biz has razor thin margins they shouldn't be expected to have 40 and 50% ones.

To me this MacBook pro is alone step forward, and one step back. It's one step back because apple expect people to be able to afford close to $4000 to get to a storage level at 756gbs that is what most pros in 2012 will find comfortable for their needs. And if not to go with external drives plus all sorts of really expensive dongles for Ethernet and/or FireWire to thunderbolt. By the time you buy these dongles, AppleCare (anyone want to do without what with the soldered ram?) and max memory and storage you are up to an inordinate amount of money....
post #232 of 251

(TB-FW800 adapter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No, it's not included. It doesn't exist yet. It'll be out in a month or so.

I'm dying to see the pricing on that. Might well throw a spanner into Belkin's and Sonnet's plans to release ridiculously overpriced TB adapters.

 

.tsooJ

post #233 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

I'm dying to see the pricing on that.

I'd imagine $29, just like the gigabit Ethernet one.

Maybe this'll be the start of Apple accessories being the cheapest, for once. There's no excuse for this nonsense we're seeing in Thunderbolt accessory prices.
post #234 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I'd imagine $29, just like the gigabit Ethernet one.
Maybe this'll be the start of Apple accessories being the cheapest, for once. There's no excuse for this nonsense we're seeing in Thunderbolt accessory prices.

 

Actually the Apple HDMI-HDMI cable is one of the cheapest out there compared to retail shop unicorn-horn HDMI cables.

post #235 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually the Apple HDMI-HDMI cable is one of the cheapest out there compared to retail shop unicorn-horn HDMI cables.

Oh, well, yeah if you're comparing against Monster trash.

Monoprice, though, blows anything by Apple away. No Thunderbolt stuff yet, though.
post #236 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This is clearly a desicion motivated by the fact that apple have huge margins on flash and they want to tightly control storage on the iPods, sorry MacBook pros. The drive isn't there because that would give people an alternative that wouldn't have them pay even more to apple at 50% margins. And you know what? Apple make some pretty good devices, but that's about it, maybe they should get along Witt the times at of everyone else in the biz has razor thin margins they shouldn't be expected to have 40 and 50% ones.
To me this MacBook pro is alone step forward, and one step back. It's one step back because apple expect people to be able to afford close to $4000 to get to a storage level at 756gbs that is what most pros in 2012 will find comfortable for their needs. And if not to go with external drives plus all sorts of really expensive dongles for Ethernet and/or FireWire to thunderbolt. By the time you buy these dongles, AppleCare (anyone want to do without what with the soldered ram?) and max memory and storage you are up to an inordinate amount of money....

 

Yes Apple is definitely tasting some delectable margins, but two things...

 

The speed of the SSD that you get from Apple is top notch (especially the controller).

 

Second, the compatibility with OS X is also tighter.

 

I have my own simple SSD I upgraded myself, and while it is fine and snappy, the MBP retina getting 300MB/s and 400MB/s plus in Blackmagic benches is very impressive. Also a lot of third party SSDs work with OS X, some don't. 

 

Just some points, curious as to what you think.

post #237 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Apple make some pretty good devices, but that's about it, maybe they should get along Witt the times at of everyone else in the biz has razor thin margins they shouldn't be expected to have 40 and 50% ones.

And why not? They're making tons of money and their market share is ever growing, so they must be doing something right.

 

If you don't find their product worth the asking price, don't buy it. If enough people agree with you, they will adjust the price or go out of business. But it looks like it'll just be you (and a few others) whining that all that Apple goodness should be available at lower prices; generally, they sell really well.

 

.tsooJ

post #238 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


My breakdown is about 50gb of audio, music, podcasts, audio books.
At least 20gbs for apps.
I need to sync my idevices you know, i cannot rely on my iMac because many times I ll be on the go and I will need to take something on or off the device. Apple isn't making it easy to me to sync with more than one iTunes library. This would have been btw the real addition in ios 6 not effing Facebook, Siri and 3d maps...
A database of about 100gbs for work that I refer to in case I need to see how I approached a problem before, or show to clients( that's just 1/5 of my full db)
At least 20gb for os and apps.
My library of work related journal articles and books, at least 30gbs
I will have at least 3-4 hq movies in there at about 10gbs.

<massive whine deleted>

 

FFS just get a Seagate GoFlex Satellite.  5 hours capacity, 500GB storage, wifi passthrough, USB 3.0, streams to 5 devices at one time.  $199 MSRP.

 

Jesus.  REAL pros don't f-ing whine about a 256-768GB SSD because no single 2.5" hdd is enough either.

post #239 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Programmers and photographers could easily go past 256GB of space and as this is a "Pro" machine they could be part of the target market.

 

The truth is that regardless of how much space we have we'll use it all up.  I have a 2TB external to go with my 500GB internal and I'm getting full because of all the extra VMs, DBs and crap I haven't bothered to dispose of.  If you look at what I need for the current project I can easily fit everything into 256GB.  Photographers working with RAW on a long shoot maybe not so much.

 

 

For actual data on some jobs we pull in 800GB per day of raw data.  For that we have a 12 bay RAID.  For big jobs you simply need to haul the gear required to do so.

post #240 of 251
In this case, if I were going to get this machine, I would start with the minimal SSD, max the RAM and save the extra for an OWC SSD upgrade later. With OWC, you know you'll get the Sandforce controller, Apple might give you a card with a Samsung controller or the Sandforce, it's a crap shoot. The Sandforce one being the better performing chip.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/14/12 at 8:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display