or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple quietly updates Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU [u]

Apple quietly updates Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU [u]

post #1 of 153
Though it wasn't mentioned onstage at WWDC, the Mac Pro was given a long-awaited refresh on Monday with a modest speed bump.

The standard-configuration 12-core Mac Pro features two 2.4 gigahertz 6-core Intel Xeon E5645 processors and 12 megabytes of fully shared L3 cache per processor. The 12-core model starts at $3,799 with 12 gigabytes of memory, a 1-terabyte hard drive and ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 memory.

The quad-core Mac Pro features one 3.2 gigahertz quad-core Intel Xeon processor and 6 gigabytes of memory. It also features a 1-terabyte hard drive and ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 for $2,499.

A Mac Pro server configuration is also available, featuring one 3.2 gigahertz quad-core Intel Xeon processor and 8 gigabytes of RAM standard. For $2,999 it features two 1-terabyte hard drives, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 RAM, and it comes installed with OS X Lion Server.

Update: An earlier version of this article described the new 12-core Mac Pro chip as the "Xeon E5," but the Xeon E5645 found in the workstation is actually a two-year-old Westmere-EP chip.

Mac Pro (Hero)
post #2 of 153

Identical graphics.

What are they playing at?! I WANT A NEW GPU, DANG IT.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 153

Notice the lack of raid cards

post #4 of 153

WHAT ABOUT New iMac's ???

Any quiet updates there??

post #5 of 153

They just updated the main site from under me. :)  it was still showing westmere when I replied on that other thread.  

Shame the case didn't get a mod.

post #6 of 153

Boy talk about barely an update.  The processors are the only thing updated.  The graphics cards appear to be the same, USB 2.0 and on and on....  Last update for Mac Pro?

Why Apple did you have to do this - you've made it hard to go for this machine (the graphics cards are inexcusable).

post #7 of 153

WORST UPDATE EVER!!!!!

post #8 of 153

no thunderbolt, usb3.. I rarely complaint about updates cause they pack almost always enough features that will make it good enough... at least prices remain the same and its not that expensive to go 6 cores.. but..

post #9 of 153

You guys need to get your facts straight. They did NOT update the Mac Pro with the E5 Xeons (Sandy Bridge). Those are Westmere chips. I think Apple has put a "New" badge next to the Mac Pro on the Apple Store and hasn't updated the specs yet.

post #10 of 153

How the hell is this good enough?

post #11 of 153

This is not the E5 Xeon!!!!  Please fix the title. This is the same old hardware shuffled prices.

{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #12 of 153

There has been a speed bump and a removal of the raid card from customization and an increase the amount of ram you can order.

post #13 of 153

Looks like the end of the line for the Mac Pro :(

----------

Mac Games

----------

Mac Games

post #14 of 153

Wow, they couldn't even bother to add USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt? Same excessively ginormous case? Looks like they simply updated the EFI to support the new CPUs and that's about it.

Edit: Article title is misleading. Apple isn't using the new E5 chips that support PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0 natively, it's the same old Nehalem architecture from two years ago.

Edited by ShinySteelRobot - 6/11/12 at 12:55pm
post #15 of 153

Intel doesn't support USB 3.0 with Westmere based motherboards. Apple will not offer USB 3.0 until Intel does.

I've heard that neither AMD nor nVidia was interested in making a small quantity of Thunderbolt equipped video cards to plug into Apple's current line of displays.

With the disappearance of the 17" MacBook Pro and this truly lame update it appears that Apple is no longer interested in making anything but consumer products.

post #16 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though it wasn't mentioned onstage at WWDC, the Mac Pro was given a long-awaited refresh on Monday, and the professional desktop now features Intel's Xeon E5 processor.
The standard-configuration 12-core Mac Pro features two 2.4 gigahertz 6-core INtel Xeon E5645 processors and 12 megabytes of fully shared L3 cache per processor. The 12-core model starts at $3,799 with 12 gigabytes of memory, a 1-terabyte hard drive and ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 memory.
The quad-core Mac Pro features one 3.2 gigahertz quad-core Intel Xeon processor and 6 gigabytes of memory. It also features a 1-terabyte hard drive and ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 for $2,499.
A Mac Pro server configuration is also available, featuring one 3.2 gigahertz quad-core INtel Xeon processor and 8 gigabytes of RAM standard. For $2,999 it features two 1-terabyte hard drives, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 RAM, and it comes installed with OS X Lion Server.

They don't mention Thunderbolt, USB 3.0, HDMI, 8 Core E5, 1600 DDR3 memory.  Huh?

Edited by drblank - 6/11/12 at 12:53pm
post #17 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanimal View Post

You guys need to get your facts straight. They did NOT update the Mac Pro with the E5 Xeons (Sandy Bridge). Those are Westmere chips. I think Apple has put a "New" badge next to the Mac Pro on the Apple Store and hasn't updated the specs yet.

Oh no...the Apple Store folks were listening to the 9 to 5 Mac people...

post #18 of 153

This is not an update, it's an insult! Looks like Apple wants it to fail so they have an excuse to kill the line. Very disappointing to me personally, but it probably makes sense from a business point of view.

The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.
post #19 of 153
The Mac Pro has not been updated at all yet on the US Apple.com site. Maybe someone at AI saw an errant flag and got confused. Maybe best just to delet this story since it isn't true.
post #20 of 153

Story is WRONG.

This is NOT Xeon E5.... E5645 is still the old Nehalem architecture!

E5's are like this: E5-4650

All that happened here was a minor speed bump....

So disappointed!

post #21 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though it wasn't mentioned onstage at WWDC, the Mac Pro was given a long-awaited refresh on Monday, and the professional desktop now features Intel's Xeon E5 processor.
The standard-configuration 12-core Mac Pro features two 2.4 gigahertz 6-core INtel Xeon E5645 processors and 12 megabytes of fully shared L3 cache per processor. The 12-core model starts at $3,799 with 12 gigabytes of memory, a 1-terabyte hard drive and ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 memory.
A Mac Pro server configuration is also available, featuring one 3.2 gigahertz quad-core INtel Xeon processor and 8 gigabytes of RAM standard. For $2,999 it features two 1-terabyte hard drives, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gigabyte of GDDR5 RAM, and it comes installed with OS X Lion Server.

OMG!  Seriously, no thunderbolt ?   I'm going to just buy some more memory for my 2008 MacPro and wait another couple of years LOL!

post #22 of 153

This is not an update to the Xeon E5 ... the Xeon E56XX series is a Westmere/Nehelem processor, not a Sandy-Bridge processor.  Dual-slot Xeon E5 part numbers should start with a E5-26XX value, as well as natively support PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0.

What Apple has done is merely bump the processor specs slightly to a chip that has still been out for nearly two years.

post #23 of 153

Wow.  That's really quite pathetic!

You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #24 of 153
DELETED. Because.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncer View Post

Looks like the end of the line for the Mac Pro :(

I have a feeling you're right....this was the cheapest update route Apple could do (update the EFI to take the slightly higher speed CPU).  Couldn't even do a graphics card update.

What a total bummer, really a bummer.

As to those folks waiting on the iMac, it'll come around...Apple isn't giving that up yet, you'll just have to wait a little while.

post #26 of 153

Great to see they didn't kill it anyway. Seriously though it severely needs a GPU update. It is ridiculous they none are available for the Mac yet. As a Motion Graphics professional, I'm stuck. After Effects CS6 is only optimized for Nvidia cards. I stuck 2 (nearly outdated) Quadro 4000 cards in it for $1600, and while it did help some with the Adobe apps, it caused a slow down with just about everything else. I sent them back . . .

For the first time in more than 20 years I am seriously thinking about switching platforms. It is very difficult to see  the Windows world advancing so much faster. If it costs me money for my business to stay with a Mac, I will have no choice at all to leave.

Despite throwing us pros a very small bone here, I really don't think they give a damn about us. Soon it will be a mutual feeling I think.

post #27 of 153
Technical specs from the UK store:

Quad-Core
One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3565 processor
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46GHz

12-Core
Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 2.67GHz
Hyper-Threading technology for up to 24 virtual cores
post #28 of 153

Good by Mac Pro.

It’s been nice.

Off to Windows I go.

Will my next laptop be Apple?

Probably not.

Apple you lost a very good customer.

post #29 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen21 View Post

Despite throwing us pros a very small bone here, I really don't think they give a damn about us. Soon it will be a mutual feeling I think.

This wasn't a bone they threw, it was a finger.

post #30 of 153
This is pretty sad. I would be disappointed if I was waiting for a Mac Pro. No Thunderbolt or USB 3, and the top end graphics card offered is still two years old.
post #31 of 153

I think maybe they really didn't update the specs and put the NEW moniker by mistake until the REAL machines are announced when they do the desktop refresh.  First laptops, then desktops.  Because they are going to have to come out with a Thunderbolt display update for USB 3.

post #32 of 153

So the single processor machine went from 3.3GHz 6 core chip to a quad core with no Thunderbolt nor USB 3? Clearly, the Pro line is over... and it's a damn shame.

Whoops, my bad, just double checked, one CAN get the 6 core for an extra 500 bucks... so it looks like they just slapped a New label to try and convince the weak minded they actually updated the line!

post #33 of 153
Is this just a case of a mistaken "new" tag added?
post #34 of 153

Good grief!  The MacPro is still, two years later, faster than most PC's.  In order to get any better you have to spend a heck of a lot of money on PC Workstation class hardware.  Only a couple of Ivy Bridge Xeons are even out yet.  Most people who use Mac Pro's can't even push them hard enough to max out their capabilities.  Quit the attitude!

I have a Mac Pro (last produced model), it cost me $8k and I didn't even max it out on options.  They are not selling a lot of these machines.  Instead of fretting over this machine, I am building a rackmount cloud server instead.  Future computers will be laptops and anything that needs real power will be on the cloud server.  I just remote connect to the private cloud and kick off my rendering jobs there.  It's faster that way anyway!

post #35 of 153

Apple isn't fooling anybody with this update, no doubt just securing their supplies from Intel and huge profit margins. No USB 3.0. No faster, quad channel memory. No eight-core processors (16 cores for the system). No SATA III. No Thunderbolt. The E5645 was launched over 2 years ago. No wonder this "update" was kept quiet. The consumer market isn't everything, but Apple apparently can't chew gum and walk at the same time. My support for Linux just improved enormously.

Mac Pro => Mac Zombie

Edited by Cpsro - 6/11/12 at 1:16pm
post #36 of 153

Someone is trolling AI.

12-core (standard configuration)

• Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors

This is not an E5, the page is unchanged.

The E5's have part numbers like E5-1xxx or E5-2xxx

post #37 of 153
Yes, very disappointing. I don't understand this. No wonder they didn't announce it during the product intro's today. Nothing much to announce.
post #38 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is this just a case of a mistaken "new" tag added?

Well, it is new compared to the previous config, but it's not new in any meaningful way.

This is just a bump and there is still a chance there will be a real update in the future.

post #39 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen21 View Post

Quote:

This wasn't a bone they threw, it was a finger.

Yeah you are right, I was being way too kind. So very frustrating.

post #40 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrickley View Post
Good grief!  The MacPro is still, two years later, faster than most PC's.  In order to get any better you have to spend a heck of a lot of money on PC Workstation class hardware.  Only a couple of Ivy Bridge Xeons are even out yet.

But not Sandy Bridge PCs in the same category, which is the only thing that is important. This IS workstation hardware, and this timeframe for updates is actually pretty inexcusable.

If they do give it a new case, I'll dance around like everyone else here. Until then, we have to assume it's dead.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple quietly updates Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU [u]