or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new $49 iPad Smart Case covers both front and back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new $49 iPad Smart Case covers both front and back

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Apple now offers a new $49 Smart Case for the iPad that covers not only the touchscreen display, but also the aluminum back of its tablet.

The new iPad smart case is in stock and available to purchase from Apple's online store. Apple's description notes that it covers both the front and back of the device, but retains the thin and light design of the iPad.

"Like the Smart Cover, it folds easily into a stand for reading, typing, and watching video," the description reads. "And it automatically wakes and sleeps iPad on open and close."

The new iPad Smart Case is made from polyurethane and is available in six colors: light gray, dark gray, blue, green, pink, and (PRODUCT) Red.

Case


Apple also offers free laser engraving with the iPad Smart Case. Users can personalize the case with a free message etched onto the back when ordered from the Apple Online Store.
post #2 of 35

I'm still glad I was able to grab the orange Smart Cover after I heard they'd discontinued it.

 

I don't have an iPad that can use it, but maybe someday.

post #3 of 35

You know that Samsung is going to steal Apple's patent on covering both sides of a tablet.

post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
You know that Samsung is going to steal Apple's patent on covering both sides of a tablet.

 

Don't be purposely inflammatory.

post #5 of 35

That's a pretty cool case, plus it is an insulator and protects it if you drop it.

post #6 of 35

Why would you want an insulator?  I know we don't want to keep the heat in.
 

post #7 of 35

We'll see if it works better than anything else to protect it.  I have bought ten iOS devices and five of them have cracked screens.  My mom's iPad got a cracked screen when her cat knocked it off the couch onto the floor, a drop of two feet.

 

I hope the next generation of Apple devices don't have screens made of Swarovski Crystal.

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

We'll see if it works better than anything else to protect it.  I have bought ten iOS devices and five of them have cracked screens.  My mom's iPad got a cracked screen when her cat knocked it off the couch onto the floor, a drop of two feet.

 

I hope the next generation of Apple devices don't have screens made of Swarovski Crystal.

 

We've had 5 iPhones, a touch and 3 iPads, and only has had a screen break (and all have been dropped.)

I find your story (or ability treat things properly) suspect.

post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post
I hope the next generation of Apple devices don't have screens made of Swarovski Crystal.

 

Nope. Waterford.

post #10 of 35

It looks like the hinges have a new coating as well, as they are the same color as the polyurethane. This is good news to me, as I just had to return a smart cover and iPad after the metal on metal contact of the hinge caused permanent dents into the side of my iPad where it connects after less than 2 months of use. 

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

We'll see if it works better than anything else to protect it.  I have bought ten iOS devices and five of them have cracked screens.  My mom's iPad got a cracked screen when her cat knocked it off the couch onto the floor, a drop of two feet.

I hope the next generation of Apple devices don't have screens made of Swarovski Crystal.

You are either violently clumbsy or a troll. I will go with troll. My family has owned at least 15 iOS devices since 2007 and not a single piece of glass is cracked. I dropped my iPad 2 on a metal bar from nearly 6 feet (no case) and got a small dent. I have 3 year old playing games on an old 3 gs that has been dropped 100s of times with no cracks.

I have dropped my 4s 4 or 5 times with no case and it is like new. Good luck with your trolling.
post #12 of 35

Anyone remember how much was the previous Smart Case without the back cover? Was it the same price?
 

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Anyone remember how much was the previous Smart Case without the back cover? Was it the same price?
 

$39

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Don't be purposely inflammatory.

He's not saying anything more than most that joke about Samsung copying Apple designs. If you'd open your eyes and look in the mirror, if there's anyone being inflammatory, it's you with most of your replies.

 

You know what, TS? Before you became a moderator you regularly made posts that contributed well to the article but over the last 6 months you've become predatory and condescending......almost borderline smart-ass, like what you say is the end-all-be-all and what everyone else says is just stupid. And I'm not the only one that has noticed.

 

How about a little more tact and tolerance? The two and tree word witty, snappy replies are getting to be a bit much.

 

Sorry, I didn't want to go off topic but I had to say something.

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That's a pretty cool case, plus it is an insulator and protects it if you drop it.


Remember all those people complaining that the new iPad gets warm? So now instead of people noticing the heat we're going to lock it away inside so the chips can overheat instead of the users. I hope the iPad components are rated for really high temps.

post #16 of 35

This looks exactly like the set up I have had for more than a year (I use a smart cover and a thin poly back case that I got on amazon for $4.5 or so).  I really like the set up.
 

post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

We'll see if it works better than anything else to protect it.  I have bought ten iOS devices and five of them have cracked screens.  My mom's iPad got a cracked screen when her cat knocked it off the couch onto the floor, a drop of two feet.

 

Not in your case. because a glass screen that smacks on the floor is likely to break. the actual cover part isn't thick enough to prevent that. Especially since it tends to flip open when the iPad is falling. 

 

Perhaps the solution for Mom is to not leave her iPad on the couch if the kitty likes to climb up there. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #18 of 35

 I have been using this case to cover the back of my iPad and I cant imagine using anything else.  The handle functionality alone makes it indispensable to me. 

 

www.zerochroma.com

post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm still glad I was able to grab the orange Smart Cover after I heard they'd discontinued it.

I don't have an iPad that can use it, but maybe someday.

Wish I had it, but when ordering the new iPad it was discontinued, so I bought the red leather one.

edit, still available on Amazon, looks very yellow. Is the color in that picture accurate?

300

Looks darker on 9to5

382
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #20 of 35
Apple say that this case is compatible with both iPad 2 and 3. How it that possible when they are different thicknesses?
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Apple say that this case is compatible with both iPad 2 and 3. How it that possible when they are different thicknesses?
It's a soft case so perhaps it stretches to fit? New iPad isn't that much thicker.
post #22 of 35

I bought an Incase backplate to go with my smart cover. The heat of the new iPad (3) melted the adhesive that holds one of the two back magnets in place. The Incase magnets are good for keeping the cover from flopping around when you fold it flat all the way back but when I put the smart cover back in place one magnet comes with it. I'm considering the low profile Logitech keyboard cover but don't like the idea of wearing a pattern on one edge of the unprotected back of the iPad.

 

I'm tempted to go back to just the smart cover though. The case for the iPad 1 was uglier but more protective of the screen edges. I dropped my iPad 1 on concrete three times without any damage while using that case.

post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Wish I had it, but when ordering the new iPad it was discontinued, so I bought the red leather one.
edit, still available on Amazon, looks very yellow. Is the color in that picture accurate?

Looks darker on 9to5

 

Yes, Amazon's is quite accurate. It might be a little darker in real life, but that could also be my current lighting.

 

It's CERTAINLY nothing like 9to5's.

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Wish I had it, but when ordering the new iPad it was discontinued, so I bought the red leather one.
edit, still available on Amazon, looks very yellow. Is the color in that picture accurate?
300
Looks darker on 9to5
382

 

I had the Orange smart cover. It's not as light as the first picture, more like the second picture. Basically, it is as orange as orange is expected to be. Not too yellow, not too saturated orangey.

post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Yes, Amazon's is quite accurate. It might be a little darker in real life, but that could also be my current lighting.

 

It's CERTAINLY nothing like 9to5's.


I would say it is something in between the Amazon and 9to5 picture.

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Apple say that this case is compatible with both iPad 2 and 3. How it that possible when they are different thicknesses?

 

Stretchyness. BTW the Product Red one looks nice.

post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post
I had the Orange smart cover. It's not as light as the first picture, more like the second picture. Basically, it is as orange as orange is expected to be. Not too yellow, not too saturated orangey.

 

For reference, what monitor do you have? Because it's absolutely nothing like what the 9to5Mac picture portrays.

post #28 of 35
I'm on a 30" ACD, and the 9to5 pic color matches my orange iPhone bumper. And while at my hairdresser today, I saw her orange smart cover for her iPad2 pretty much matches the color of my bumper. Then again, maybe her cover has been laying in the sun. What freaking nitty toddy picking have I started.

PS, wanted to type nittytiddypicking but iOS wanted nitty toddy. I think that means nitpicking, splitting hairs, or as the Dutch say, ant fucker?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
I'm on a 30" ACD, and the 9to5 pic color matches my orange iPhone bumper. And while at my hairdresser today, I saw her orange smart cover for her iPad2 pretty much matches the color of my bumper. Then again, maybe her cover has been laying in the sun.

 

Wow. Either one of our displays is WAY off (I have a 27" Cinema) or her cover had… anti-faded.

post #30 of 35
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #31 of 35

I don't see why they didn't just make it identical to the first iPad's case, albeit with magnets and a tri-fold cover.

post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

 

Stretchyness. BTW the Product Red one looks nice.

 

too bright to me. I prefer my deeper leather one. paired it with a clear back I picked up at best buy

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For reference, what monitor do you have? Because it's absolutely nothing like what the 9to5Mac picture portrays.

Old skool ACD 20" ... Got it on Gumtree for $200 1biggrin.gif
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see why they didn't just make it identical to the first iPad's case, albeit with magnets and a tri-fold cover.

The 1st iPad case was a little clunky. This is more streamlined. Got my Product Red one. Yeah it's fluoro red. You could land a plane with it, or be rescued from a desert island LOL.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow. Either one of our displays is WAY off (I have a 27" Cinema) or her cover had… anti-faded.

I manually calibrated my ACD because I like things to look like I think it should look. So, who knows what things on my screen looks like.

Ah, the simple pleasure of being able to take a 10min train to an actual real life official Apple Store to buy a brand new Product Red official Apple accessory. If I died now I would die happy. Gawd Bless Australia. No MBP Retina though even on demo, dude said it might arrive tonight. Acceptable. In any case my next Mac will be 13" MacBook Air or 13" Retina MBP.

For now, it's about software, going to go iOS 6 tonight if all goes well.

Love you guys! (Yes Apple Store retail therapy does this to me)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new $49 iPad Smart Case covers both front and back