or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2012 keynote video now available to stream from Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WWDC 2012 keynote video now available to stream from Apple

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quickly after the keynote presentation at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference concluded, Apple has made a video of the event available to stream.

The video can now be viewed at Apple's website in the company's Safari Web browser. Currently, it cannot be viewed in third-party browsers like Firefox, as users are told to "check back soon" and that the keynote will be "available shortly."

The main focus of Apple's presentation was iOS 6, the company's next-generation mobile operating system. It will offer enhancements to Siri, system-wide Facebook integration, and more than 200 other new features when it launches this fall.

One of the biggest additions to iOS 6 is a completely revamped Maps application that ditches Google Maps for Apple's own in-house solution. It will rely on anonymous crowd-sourced data for traffic, and will also offer turn-by-turn navigation.

Another new application announced for iOS 6 is Passbook, a sort of virtual wallet and organizer for iPhone users. With Passbook, users will have quick access to store cards, tickets to movies and sporting events, and boarding passes for airplane flights.

Keynote


The big hardware announcement on Monday was the next-generation MacBook Pro, an entirely new 15-inch notebook unveiled by Apple. It features a thinner design and high-resolution Retina display.

The company also issued updates for its legacy MacBook Pros, adding Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors to the 13- and 15-inch notebooks, and also upgraded the MacBook Air with up to 2.0 gigahertz processors and 512 gigabytes of flash storage.
post #2 of 18
Seems to be down.
post #3 of 18

Looks like Scott inadvertently showed off the new iPhone 5...

iPhone5.jpg

post #4 of 18

I was really looking forward to a new desktop that unfortunately, there is nothing new with.

 

As a video editor and digital media associate, the lack of a new iMac is pushing me strongly towards an HP Z1. Yes, I said it....screw Apple.

 

Since I am working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 exclusively, one of the huge advantages is that it works equally well with Mac and PC and after talking to several of my friends up in high places, I am considering HP option as numero uno.

 

Also, not to mention that after two years of waiting the MacBook got a very minor update; a speed bump and increases in RAM. Woopty Freagin' Doo!

 

The storage and video specs as well are nicer, but still the new Macbook "Pro" still will use USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt. Lame.

 

OOOooooh and a new Safari that syncs all your Apple devices. Oh yea, I get that with Google Chrome and/or Firefox, thank you very much.

 

Any thoughts on this, or am I the only one who finds the newest Apple updates boring!?

 

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Looks like Scott inadvertently showed off the new iPhone 5...

 

Eh… not quite. Either that or the parts we've seen had their design changed. Looks like the image might just be stretched, too.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKatz View Post

The storage and video specs as well are nicer, but still the new Macbook "Pro" still will use USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt. Lame.

Are you trying to be a troll here? The new MacBook Pro most certainly do have USB 3.0 and not just one but TWO Thunderbolt ports.

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Are you trying to be a troll here? The new MacBook Pro most certainly do have USB 3.0 and not just one but TWO Thunderbolt ports.

 

I think he's just spam. I'll watch for other posts.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Looks like Scott inadvertently showed off the new iPhone 5...
LL

I noticed that, too.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKatz View Post

I was really looking forward to a new desktop that unfortunately, there is nothing new with.

 

As a video editor and digital media associate, the lack of a new iMac is pushing me strongly towards an HP Z1. Yes, I said it....screw Apple.

 

Since I am working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 exclusively, one of the huge advantages is that it works equally well with Mac and PC and after talking to several of my friends up in high places, I am considering HP option as numero uno.

 

Also, not to mention that after two years of waiting the MacBook got a very minor update; a speed bump and increases in RAM. Woopty Freagin' Doo!

 

The storage and video specs as well are nicer, but still the new Macbook "Pro" still will use USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt. Lame.

 

OOOooooh and a new Safari that syncs all your Apple devices. Oh yea, I get that with Google Chrome and/or Firefox, thank you very much.

 

Any thoughts on this, or am I the only one who finds the newest Apple updates boring!?

 

 

Bill Gates, is that you? 

post #10 of 18

Not bad keynote overall. Occasionally, I find Tim Cook trying too hard to be genuine and passionate that it sounds contrived. Phil Schiller stumbled on a few technical details, showing his lack of engineering background. For example, he confused megabytes and Mbps.  Jobs was not an engineer either but, in his later years, never mentioned said anything he didn't understand.
 

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Not bad keynote overall. Occasionally, I find Tim Cook trying too hard to be genuine and passionate that it sounds contrived. Phil Schiller stumbled on a few technical details, showing his lack of engineering background. For example, he confused megabytes and Mbps.  Jobs was not an engineer either but, in his later years, never mentioned said anything he didn't understand.
 

The latest SSDs actually do go at 500 megabytes/second (i.e. MBps with a capital 'B') so old Phil wasn't wrong on that one.

post #12 of 18

I liked the new MBP and Mountain Lion presentation. Skipped over the other stuff to be honest.

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post

Bill Gates, is that you? 

He calls himself a "digital media associate." What is that supposed to be? These shills always give themselves away. The lie is visible.
post #14 of 18

In the keynote, Craig said "We have this new glass dock in Mountain Lion," and the audience laughed, thinking it was a joke, since the Dock has been glass for ages. But he wasn't joking, it looks a lot different, far less see-through, more like smoked glass.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The latest SSDs actually do go at 500 megabytes/second (i.e. MBps with a capital 'B') so old Phil wasn't wrong on that one.


I missed that. But he said "megabytes", not "megabytes per second"

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

In the keynote, Craig said "We have this new glass dock in Mountain Lion," and the audience laughed, thinking it was a joke, since the Dock has been glass for ages. But he wasn't joking, it looks a lot different, far less see-through, more like smoked glass.

They've also updated the Trash icon (both empty and full). I think I like it better. Certainly full better, as infrequently as I ever see that.

And now the Dock has an INSANELY huge drop shadow behind it. Hopefully they tone that down a smidge.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh… not quite. Either that or the parts we've seen had their design changed. Looks like the image might just be stretched, too.

The circular dials below the iPhone are stretched. They are stretched vertically by about 20%, which would take a 1.777 ratio to 1.5. It's just a normal iPhone. A 16:9 iPhone wouldn't look anything like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater 
Occasionally, I find Tim Cook trying too hard to be genuine and passionate that it sounds contrived.

Yeah, it seems to be getting worse too. I actually find all the staff to be very on-edge and I can't understand why. Forstall was fairly cool as usual and managed to throw in some humour 'aye'. That's why I like him. While Craig is clearly a handsome guy and posseses follicular fortitude that Henry Winkler would envy, I just don't warm to him the same. The Hair Force One tag was funny but I bet it was Scott or Schiller who picked it.

The Siri demos are getting a bit tired though and the starting vid wasn't that great. They should have done something like the NSFW Samuel L Jackson Siri ad:



The staff seem like they are scared to say what they think out loud. Right now, they are some of the most powerful people in the world at the helm of the world's richest company. All external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure needs to GTFO. Steve Jobs didn't command the respect he did by being a slave to other peoples' expectations. Apple isn't a gem that needs to be coddled out of respect, it needs to forge ahead in the same vein that got it to where it is.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post



Yeah, it seems to be getting worse too. I actually find all the staff to be very on-edge and I can't understand why. Forstall was fairly cool as usual and managed to throw in some humour 'aye'. That's why I like him. While Craig is clearly a handsome guy and posseses follicular fortitude that Henry Winkler would envy, I just don't warm to him the same. The Hair Force One tag was funny but I bet it was Scott or Schiller who picked it.
The Siri demos are getting a bit tired though and the starting vid wasn't that great. They should have done something like the NSFW Samuel L Jackson Siri ad:The staff seem like they are scared to say what they think out loud. Right now, they are some of the most powerful people in the world at the helm of the world's richest company. All external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure needs to GTFO. Steve Jobs didn't command the respect he did by being a slave to other peoples' expectations. Apple isn't a gem that needs to be coddled out of respect, it needs to forge ahead in the same vein that got it to where it is.

 

I like Forstall too. A lot.

 

And yes! Craig F. is a tall, skinny Fonzi in a button down shirt!

 

But I am not getting the vibe you are - that they are nervous about making mistakes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2012 keynote video now available to stream from Apple