or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013

Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013

post #1 of 162
An Apple executive has reportedly indicated that redesigned iMac and Mac Pro models are in the works and might not arrive until next year.

Apple on Monday showed off new versions of its MacBook line of computers, including updates to the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro and a new next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Retina Display, at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. Updates to Apple's desktop computers were noticeably absent from the event.

However, The New York Times' David Pogue reported on Monday that an Apple executive had suggested new iMacs and Mac Pros might not arrive until 2013.

"Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro," he wrote. "An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013."

iMac 1

AppleInsider contacted Apple for comment about the alleged remarks, but the company did not immediately respond.

Though the Mac maker did quietly update the Mac Pro on Monday, it did so with a two-year-old processor, rather than the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 chip that some had been expecting. Blogger and developer Marco Arment called the update "half-assed," noting that Apple appeared to have sent the message that it "doesn't give a sh*t about the Mac Pro."

In the weeks leading up to WWDC, multiple sources had appeared to suggest that Apple would release a redesigned iMac. For instance, Geekbench benchmarks for an unreleased iMac model, known as iMac13,2, were spotted online last month. Apple last updated the iMac in May 2011, adding the Thunderbolt port and a FaceTime HD camera.

As portables have become an increasing part of Apple's Mac sales, many observers have expressed fears that Mac desktops would fall by the wayside. Those concerns have been further exacerbated by the fact that the bulk of Apple's revenue now comes from iOS, especially the iPhone. Apple did hold a "Back to the Mac" event in 2010 to reemphasize its focus on OS X and the Mac, but the event was largely centered around a new MacBook Air that drew inspiration from the iPad and iOS.
post #2 of 162

Like fun they won't.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 162

You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? Almost exactly nine years, with the introduction of the PowerMac G5. Apple has never kept any design for any other computer around that long. It's not like it's a great design, either. Bulky, with those curved handles. Ridiculously heavy thanks to the heavy gauge aluminum. And to my eyes, butt ugly. Sure is less elegant than the simple and sleek Quicksilver (but similarly bulky) PowerMac G4. Granted, the internals are very neatly laid out and getting to them is easier than with PC towers. But to be absolutely honest, a very dated design.

post #4 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? Almost exactly nine years, with the introduction of the PowerMac G5. Apple has never kept any design for any other computer around that long. It's not like it's a great design, either. Bulky, with those curved handles. Ridiculously heavy thanks to the heavy gauge aluminum. And to my eyes, butt ugly. Sure is less elegant than the simple and sleek Quicksilver (but similarly bulky) PowerMac G4. Granted, the internals are very neatly laid out and getting to them is easier than with PC towers. But to be absolutely honest, a very dated design.

Not really.
post #5 of 162

This is an insult to all professional Mac users out there. Content creators: video editor, photographers, graphics designers, book publishers, creative houses... require massive amount of computing power and expandability. Investments in the Apple platform is not cheap and yet Apple feel it's fit to leave them completely in the dark. Even a word about when they will release a new Mac Pro will be reassuring. I've sunk nearly $20K into Apple products for my studio, and literally put my credit card on the table, begging Apple to take it and giving me a new Mac Pro in return. No, it din't happen. They even dare to charge the same price for 2 year old computer!!! They came out with a new version of Aperture with more "auto" features, instead of the Aperture 4 for the pro photographers to compete with Lightroom. Can they be more polite, more gentle and only kick my ass one at a time please?

I don't fucking need a new design, just give me the same Mac Pro, with 2012 CPUs, Thunderbolt, etc. the stuffs they have for even a machine at half the price (or a quarter of the price at my specs).

I envision a day when most contents viewable on iPad comes with the tag line: "Proudly made on a PC running Windows XX". The day of "Made on a Mac" is almost over. I fear it, but Apple has the cards to play. Focus on sales figures, profit margin, market share, popularity, etc... is the typical mindset of a company runs by a bunch of MBAs, not the daring, bold Apple I've known and loved.

post #6 of 162
Kolchak, I disagree. It's a classic design and it still works. Looks great with Apple's latest display. To the extent you can see it that is ... The Pro tends to live in the shadows, under desks and on the floor. Apple knows this, why mess around then with a design that works and generally remains hidden most of its life.

I do agree however, that the fact they havent updated it in 10 years means, they care much less about it than any other product they sell. After all, we're talking about Steve Jobs, the man who wanted to chrome plate the inside of the Apple II.
post #7 of 162
Quote:

Don't see anything wrong with the current design. It's Bahaus-inspired, minimalist style, but I rest my case here... Aesthetics is a matter of personal taste.

I absolutely love the internal layout of the Mac Pro though, everything is just so easy to get to, and not a single cable to be easily seen. It reminds me of Steve Jobs "art is also the unseen part" motto. If anything, he would have loved this design so much.

post #8 of 162

Maybe a major update is coming next year, but I doubt they won't update the iMac until then. They can still integrate the Ivy Bridge chips into this design. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #9 of 162
Quote:
It's not like it's a great design, either

It's a spectacular design and in no way dated. The Mac Pro very probably has the best airflow of any computer of its class (or any other). I'm interested in seeing what else they could do with it, of course, but it can hardly be used as an explanation for why they don't care about the Mac Pro.

post #10 of 162

The design is nice but it's too big for 2012

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #11 of 162

I have sunk almost $1 mil into it - how do you think I feel?

post #12 of 162
Quote:

You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? 

Most Pros I know don't really care about the appearance of the Mac Pro. It's a workhorse machine. It doesn't need to be pretty, it needs to be strong. 

that said, they wouldn't mind if it was smaller or could be mounted in a server rack. Even if it still looks like a cheese grater in a rack. 

post #13 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Maybe a major update is coming next year, but I doubt they won't update the iMac until then. They can still integrate the Ivy Bridge chips into this design. 

I think that the iMacs will very possibly get a silent update in the near future. They wanted to start with the notebooks because that's what the college kids typically get and it was hitting the typical time for them to launch their Back to School promo (which they also did today). 

So in a month or two the iMacs hit the system. 

As for the Mac Pros, I suspect they are working on a new footprint and working on new Cinema Displays and are looking to launch both at the same time. And for all we know Pogue's executive is nil. The man has become a paid shill that hit whores like a gossip blogger quite often. Supposedly someone emailed Tim Cook and got a reply also suggesting next year but for all we know that could have been a typo or Tim over suggesting in order to not have any tales of 'delay' which would happen if he said in the fall and it didn't happen because of hard drive shortages or such. 

post #14 of 162

To be perfectly honest, anyone buying a iMac today is being ripped off by Apple PERIOD.

Since the May 2011 iMac appeared, the cost of its components have dropped substantially, particularly the CPU, RAM, GPU and LCD panel - given the Apple premium is already 30% on all their  desktops at launch, that means today anyone one purchasing the iMac is giving 50% of the price to Apple directly in profit.

The company has no excuses, its a blatant rip-off and the fools purchasing 18 month old technology don't have much of a clue - they are but shinny toys to go with their iOS toys.

All desktop users are asking for - that's those of us who making both a living and enjoy leisure time on their Mac's - is a slight revision of the existing product and not a new Steve Ive inspired re-design.

Surely, it is not too difficult to make the leap to Ivy Bridge and a new GPU - perhaps with additional RAM and larger HDD in top end model.

Judging by the Mac Pro revision, it appears Apple are giving us the finger - God I wish I'd not sold by iMac BTO 27in i7 now, I'm still using the other one I own, but without a refresh, I'm tempted to do a Hackintosh and utilise latest top end Sandy Bridge i7K's - with the money I save, I can then easily afford a Dell 27in monitor or Apple TB LCD - Aesthetics are one thing, exploitation is another, and Apple are now exploiting the Sheople and becoming more and more a business focused on the elite, rather than your average consumer. 

post #15 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

The design is nice but it's too big for 2012

Air flow is just as important now as it was when the original Mac Pro came out. edit: I see Tallest Skil mentioned this as well.

I reckon iMacs will be out sometime after ML is released.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #16 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Chrisr View Post
To be perfectly honest, anyone buying a iMac today is being ripped off by Apple PERIOD.

Just like anyone buying from any company right before the new model of whatever-it-is comes out is, yes. Unless, of course, they don't care and are happy with what they're getting for their money.

Quote:
Since the May 2011 iMac appeared, the cost of its components have dropped substantially, particularly the CPU, RAM, GPU and LCD panel - given the Apple premium is already 30% on all their  desktops at launch, that means today anyone one purchasing the iMac is giving 50% of the price to Apple directly in profit.

{citation needed}

Quote:
The company has no excuses, its a blatant rip-off and the fools purchasing 18 month old technology don't have much of a clue - they are but shinny toys to go with their iOS toys.

{citation needed} lol.gif

The rest is just blah blah, FUD, blah blah, wrong, etc.

post #17 of 162

I've always liked the case design. Elegant, solid, great expansion capabilities. Sharp handles? Yes. And in the six years I've had mine, I've had to pick up and move it twice. Neither time resulted in the need for Band-Aids.

post #18 of 162
This sucks in so many ways.

1. They didn't even mention the Mini here, the Mini being a machine that could greatly benefit from Ivy Bridge.
  2. While there is admittedly little to be gained from the Ivy Bridge CPU on an iMac, a little bit of power savings goes a long way. The idea of having that OpenCL support there was also appealing.
  3. Might as well wait for Haswell.
  4. The Mac Pro hasn't even been touched in like three years, so how long does it take Apple to design a new machine now a days.
  5. What is the excuse for the pathetic non upgrade of the GPU? Let say the current processors make sense on some level, whatever that excuse is it doesn't work with the GPU card which is ancient.

I suppose I could go on but reality is this, I'm about to fall asleep. So maybe I'm not coherent. Todays desktop lineup defines fail.
post #19 of 162
If Apple doesn't want to make a Mac Pro then perhaps they should license OSX to Pro Max or Pystar under the condition that they only sell models costing $10k +. I would certainly spend that much for a full blown Hckintosh if it worked perfectly with audio, Ethernet and FireWire. There is at least one blog post that says a dual Xeon Sandy Bridge can be hackintoshed with a Supermicro board with the exception of FW as the audio and Ethernet issues can be resolved with USB conversion adapters.
Edited by mstone - 6/11/12 at 7:53pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #20 of 162

I'd be a little sad to see the current design go. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better-looking desktop, even today.

post #21 of 162
I'm waiting for the next iMac. The newest Intel chipset running a bit cooler, a bit faster and with USB 3. I wonder if the holdup is an inability to offer a 21"+ display in high DPI. I want HiDPI, but that I can put off.
post #22 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

I have sunk almost $1 mil into it - how do you think I feel?

Depends on how big your business is relative to his.

post #23 of 162

apple is giving its user base the collective finger with the mac pro "updates". It's like they are doing it intentionally. Get Ive to redesign or touch up the case and stick the latest of other people's hardware in there, how the hell can't this be done in 3 years time? That should be a few weeks' work at most. 

post #24 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Chrisr View Post

All desktop users are asking for - that's those of us who making both a living and enjoy leisure time on their Mac's - is a slight revision of the existing product and not a new Steve Ive inspired re-design.

Surely, it is not too difficult to make the leap to Ivy Bridge and a new GPU - perhaps with additional RAM and larger HDD in top end model.

Judging by the Mac Pro revision, it appears Apple are giving us the finger - God I wish I'd not sold by iMac BTO 27in i7 now, I'm still using the other one I own, but without a refresh, I'm tempted to do a Hackintosh and utilise latest top end Sandy Bridge i7K's - with the money I save, I can then easily afford a Dell 27in monitor or Apple TB LCD - Aesthetics are one thing, exploitation is another, and Apple are now exploiting the Sheople and becoming more and more a business focused on the elite, rather than your average consumer. 

This is first rate bitching. It's as if you don't even realize you have a choice not to buy their new generation MBPs, that they haven't updated and kept their older style MBPs, or that you have a choice to not buy any Apple product whatsoever since the concept of a company being profitable, desirable and more efficient in their ability to produce desirable products clearly offends you.

PS: Apple is The Man. Show them that you won't bow down to The Man.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #25 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple is The Man. Show them that you won't bow down to The Man.

If Adobe came out with their own OS and browser designed specifically for Creative Suite and it ran on standard Linux kernel I'd be gone in an instant. As it is today you only have choice between windows and Mac and now they both sort of suck.

post #26 of 162

Is it that Apple doesn't care or are there other reasons behind the way Apple is upgrading its desktop line? I am going to guess that there are other reasons for this that are just not obvious. I bought a new iMac at the end of last year and it works well for me and should be enough machine for me for at least the next several years. I am also going to guess that most Mac buyers these days feel the same. I also understand that the lack of upgrades, especially on the pro line, may be a problem for those users and I am sure it is a pain for them. Maybe part of the issue for some of them is that some were waiting to buy a new machine and waiting for more of an upgrade so they didn't invest in a machine that was more obsolete when they got it.

post #27 of 162
It seems possible that if Apple is holding off on iMac updates until 2013 that they might be holding off so that they can do a Retina Display update for them (and the ATD). Clearly there is a progression from smaller to larger in the ability to create a larger Retina Displays at volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

apple is giving its user base the collective finger with the mac pro "updates". It's like they are doing it intentionally. Get Ive to redesign or touch up the case and stick the latest of other people's hardware in there, how the hell can't this be done in 3 years time? That should be a few weeks' work at most. 
So Apple should continue to update all products if a single user wants it done? Sound perfectly reasonable to me¡ I personally like the idea of a free market where the customer decides what products are best for them to buy just as company decide what products are best for them to make, but there is no requirement for everyone to want freedom and choice the way I do.

post #28 of 162
Bet new iMacs and minis come out with the release of mountain lion. Same form factor and iMac monitors.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #29 of 162

Early 2013 sounds about right. At that time it will be ready to be renamed "The iTV".

post #30 of 162
Quote:

I personally like the idea of a free market where the customer decides what products are best for them to buy just as company decide what products are best for them to make, but there is no requirement for everyone to want freedom and choice the way I do.

Right but to be profitable they need only to sell Apple branded single ply toilet tissue. Jeff Besos is at least trying get into the space race. Apple needs to support the pro community even if it is at a financial loss. They have lost the respect of the the pros and soon the academics so their eventual market will only be the Walmart/Best Buy crowd.

God I hate this forum software when on an iPad it sucks in general but on iOS is blows big time.
Edited by mstone - 6/11/12 at 8:35pm

post #31 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If Adobe came out with their own OS and browser designed specifically for Creative Suite and it ran on standard Linux kernel I'd be gone in an instant. As it is today you only have choice between windows and Mac and now they both sort of suck.

I wish they would have. I've said for decades that PC vendors need to be developing their own OS secretly just in case one day it's less than advantageous to be under MS' thumb. They are all struggling and with Win8 I think it's just going to get worse for everyone but Apple.

I've also been saying that the (then) rumours of the Retina Display Macs with the highly integrated ML and Win8 debacle that Apple should have a new Mac campaign on the ready for 2012 to help pull new users over even faster. They still have some time but it's looking like that is not likely to happen.

post #32 of 162

Having been waiting to buy an iMac myself, I'm obviously disappointed to hear this news -- though it could very well be misleading on purpose... It would not be the first time that Apple was less than forthcoming about their future plans.

Today's keynote was over 2 hours long and they rushed through many of the sections as it was, adding another section to talk about Desktop hardware may have been unfeasible.  To say nothing of the fact that Apple always likes to milk one product release before over-shadowing it with another.

All of this being said, the real fact of the matter is that the iMac is typically refreshed every 273 days, and it has now been just over 400 since the last upgrade.  Making us wait another 6-8 months would essentially spell the end of Apple's mid-range desktop market, as I'm sure we're all contemplating a Hackintosh right about now; something that I'm sure has not escaped the grasp of Tim and his team.

Optimistic?  Perhaps, but it's all I have to cling to at the moment...

post #33 of 162

I don't see Apple waiting 6+ months for an iMac.  

Maybe it is because I'm waiting for an update before buying, but the iMac is just too good a design for Apple to walk away from.  Like the Mac Pro, there is no need to change the external design.  Improve the innards and display and put it on the market.

Ken
Ken
post #34 of 162
Quote:

Right but to be profitable they need only to sell Apple branded single ply toilet tissue. Jeff Besos is at least trying get into the spec race. Apple needs to support the pro community even if it is at a financial loss. They have lost the respect of the the pros and soon the academics so there eventual market will only be the Walmart/Best Buy crowd.

In no way is Apple racing to the bottom with their products. They are selling products at prices as cheap or cheaper than the competition that is better built, holds its value longer and is usually more useful while still turning a profit. The oft repeated mantra that because Apple make more of a profit than other vendors from EoC and efficient business practices that they should lower their prices is simply absurd. I'd love for their prices to be lower when I decide to purchase and item but I don't get on my soap box and demand it (like some people, not you) simply because they are successful.

As for the pro crowd, I'd like them to support them more but that simply isn't where the market seems to be going. You look at the days of ol' with towers where everything was off the shelf to today's iPad and there is a very real trend. I'm just glad that Apple is readying another version of OS X a year after the last (which does resolve a lot my wishes for Lion) and has invested the money in getting Retina Displays in MBPs. Is the latter really a Wal-Mart-focused feature? I don't think so.

post #35 of 162
Quote:

You and pretty much every creative professional in the world.

Replacing infrastructure, software, work-flow, education and familiarity is no small feat - for any size company and it comes at a cost.

Solip is wrong to say we "don't have to buy their products".

Lots of us are at a crossroads - and our patience is growing thin.

post #36 of 162
Quote:

As for the pro crowd, I'd like them to support them more but that simply isn't where the market seems to be going.

I'm just saying everything isn't about profit. If you happen to know about medicine or aviation or a number of other professional disciplines you will see names like 3M, Mobil, etc listed on the devices and accessories because they understand that entire industries depend on them to provide technology that is crucial to civilization. Apple cares only about profit not civilization contrary to their warmhearted video of helping th blind, the disadvantaged and hadicapped and they claim this is why we do what we do. It is all about profit. Nothing more nothing less.

post #37 of 162
Quote:

I could give a rat's ass about redesigning the case. It owns the industry, period. I care about the Motherboard design, the components available and the performance.

post #38 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not really.

Yes really.

post #39 of 162

deleted

Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 9:40am
post #40 of 162
Quote:

I'm just saying everything isn't about profit. If you happen to know about medicine or aviation or a number of other professional disciplines you will see names like 3M, Mobil, etc listed on the devices and accessories because they understand that entire industries depend on them to provide technology that is crucial to civilization. Apple cares only about profit not civilization contrary to their warmhearted video of helping th blind, the disadvantaged and hadicapped and they claim this is why we do what we do. It is all about profit. Nothing more nothing less.

Well you don't see any blind, deaf or handicapped people walking around with Mac Pros in their hand do you?

I sold Macs for a living for many years and I've impacted a lot of people's lives with iPads, iPhone/iPod Touch and the Universal Access features of Mac OS X. I've never impacted someone's life with a Mac Pro. Not discounting the Mac Pro or its lack of update cycle, but being mad because they didn't update your high end Mac doesn't discount their motives.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013