or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Shipping time for new Retina display MacBook Pro slips to 2-3 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shipping time for new Retina display MacBook Pro slips to 2-3 weeks

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
Though the new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display launched when it was announced on Monday, estimated shipping times for the next-generation notebook have already slipped to two to three weeks at Apple's online store.

Both the 2.3 gigahertz model with 256 gigabyte flash storage, which sells for $2,199, and the 2.6 gigahertz model with 512 gigabytes of flash, for $2,799, are now estimated to ship in two to three weeks. Those shipping times suggest Apple's initial run of new MacBook Pros have already sold out.

The next-generation MacBook Pro was announced Monday by Apple as a new addition to its MacBook lineup. The company has called the new notebook "the most beautiful computer we have ever made."

The new MacBook Pro takes design cues from the MacBook Air by ditching the optical disc drive for a thinner profile and relying solely on flash memory. It also features a new high-resolution Retina display that is exclusive to the next-generation MacBook Pro.

The new MacBook Pro features a 2,880-by-1,880-pixel screen that jams 220 pixels per inch into its 15.4-inch frame. Apple has also said glare has been reduced by 75 percent on the new display.

Shipping


It also sports upgraded connectivity options, such as USB 3.0 and a dedicated HDMI out port. It also sports two high-speed Thunderbolt ports, and a built-in SD card reader.

While the next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display ships in two to three weeks, estimated shipping times for the updated 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros featuring the previous generation's design are listed as "in stock," suggesting they are available to ship immediately.

Apple also updated its MacBook Air lineup on Monday, adding Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors to its thin-and-light notebook lineup. All standard configurations of both the new 11- and 13-inch MacBook Airs are also advertised as "in stock" to ship as soon as possible.
post #2 of 60

There will be lines around the block when these hit the stores.  I wonder if they will be available at Wal*Mart from day 1?  

post #3 of 60

Mine shows ETA on the 14th - of June

post #4 of 60

Actually, it went from "5-7 business days" to "2-3 weeks" yesterday evening. I know because I was calling stores to see if they had it, but every store only had the "regular" updated MBPs, so I finally ordered online last night and it had switched to 2-3 weeks then. We're talking around 4pm Pacific (7pm Eastern), so it wasn't even that late. I tweeted about it when I found out, so I can look for the exact time if need be. Have we come to the point where we have to stand in line to buy Macs??? lol...

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply
post #5 of 60

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

 

You are kidding, right?

post #7 of 60

I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. I already have a 13 inch version but I really thought the 15 inch version would be easier to use were those of us with eyesight problems. I hope Apple considers it in the future.
 

post #8 of 60

Mine, too! Due to arrive on Thursday at 10:30am!

post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

This is an OSX upgrade you're talking about ... not Windows.

post #10 of 60

@Onhka

 

Tailpipe does have a point.  With Mountain Lion set to release in July,it's probably best Apple wait till then to release the Retina MB Pro with ML installed.  No harm in making life a little easier that way.

post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelal View Post

I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. I already have a 13 inch version but I really thought the 15 inch version would be easier to use were those of us with eyesight problems. I hope Apple considers it in the future.

Did they update any of the MBAs yesterday?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Did they update any of the MBAs yesterday?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/11/apple_unveils_new_macbook_air_with_up_to_20ghz_cpus_512gb_storage.html

post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

It would be a hassle if it weren't for the Migration Assistant (in the Utilities folder). Run the utility and it takes you easy step by easy step through the procedure. It estimates how long the migration will take, so you can do other things. When you return, your new computer has the same settings, applications, documents, and accounts as the old one. My description makes it sound harder than it is.

post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelal View Post

I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. 
 

I think if they made a 15-inch MacBook Air, it would come out to be identical to the 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display. All you have to do is black out "Pro" on the box with a Sharpie and write in "Air" and you've got your wish.

post #15 of 60

Not surprised. I do not want one (doesn't fit my needs) but do believe probably the best laptop ever done, on balance.

post #16 of 60

Thanks! I clearly missed that.

I would say that Apple wanted full 15" focus on the new MBP right now. If they offered a NEW 15" MBA that would be a little confusing. It's already a little confusing with the updated old-style MBPs but they really did need to keep those because of the dramatic changes made to the new one. Maybe next time.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 60
Agree. Not sure where I'm going to find laptops now as I have no interest in a smaller 15" screen. Simply adding more pixels does nothing if the information must be blown up due to the higher resolution to make it read-able. The end result is still the same where a comparable sized image on the screen has two less inches of screen space to work with.

I just can't see switching out my current inventory of 17" laptops for iMac's either. Now we have no option for larger displays except for costly and non-mobile external options.

Not all of use our interested in how 'thin' our laptop is.

Bad call...
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

 

The migration will be a cinch.  That truly is idiot-proof.  On not having to upgrade the OS, it's a toss-up for me.  Go with a the mature OS and upgrade when wrinkles are ironed out of ML, or start with a fresh new OS and maybe have to live with a few wrinkles until that's sorted out. 

post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Agree. Not sure where I'm going to find laptops now as I have no interest in a smaller 15" screen. Simply adding more pixels does nothing if the information must be blown up due to the higher resolution to make it read-able. The end result is still the same where a comparable sized image on the screen has two less inches of screen space to work with.
I just can't see switching out my current inventory of 17" laptops for iMac's either. Now we have no option for larger displays except for costly and non-mobile external options.
Not all of use our interested in how 'thin' our laptop is.
Bad call...

 

Clealy, there are not enough people who insist on 17 inch laptops to be worth the while.  Not anymore. Not for Apple anyways.

 

I think that Apple likes to concentrate on the most profitable parts of the industry.  That is where they do best for profits.  And not enough people buy 17 inch laptops to be worth it anymore.

post #20 of 60

This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.

 

Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.

 

My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.  I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

 

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.

Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.

My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.  I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

Exactly.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Agree. Not sure where I'm going to find laptops now as I have no interest in a smaller 15" screen. Simply adding more pixels does nothing if the information must be blown up due to the higher resolution to make it read-able. The end result is still the same where a comparable sized image on the screen has two less inches of screen space to work with.
I just can't see switching out my current inventory of 17" laptops for iMac's either. Now we have no option for larger displays except for costly and non-mobile external options.
Not all of use our interested in how 'thin' our laptop is.
Bad call...

If you don't care about how thin your laptop is, then buy the iMac and a piece of luggage. It's about the same weight as the 17" MBP luggable. Bonus: more speed!!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.

 

Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.

 

My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.  I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

 

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

 

For any whiners that say, "...but my old MBP had optical drives!"  Just buy the Apple external optical drive for $99 using the $300 you saved. Use the left over $200 to treat your wife to a night out and avoid the flack you'd get for upgrading your laptop.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #24 of 60
It's the same with the Air. If you upgrade the Specs on those to get close to the 15", you get the same $2199 magic number. it's like they really want to sell these new ones.

What other company can push a $2200 notebook and expect to stay open?
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.

 

Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.

 

My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.  I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

 

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

 

This is exactly what I was looking at after they released the price. It's amazing how aggressive they are being with the price.

 

Where's the "Apple-tax" now?

post #26 of 60
I did the order very soon and got the confirmation of shipment in 5 days :-)

Ab upgrading fron 10.7.4 to 10.8.0 I really never seen a so smooth transition in Apple main version history (for ex 10.5-10.6 was very difficult as a lot apps they had to be upgraded, etc....). The passage 10.7-10.8 it is a candy :-), in fact I decided to pass all my machines to DP 4 without to wait for the real final version. Really hard to tell what is NOT working perfectly.
And it is visible how the code was optimised, that the real main feature of 10.8. Really fast and fluent. My two cents :-)
post #27 of 60

I predict that the old-style MacBook Pros, both 13 and 15 inch, will eventually be discontinued. Apple is keeping them for the time being for customers who need a storage capacity that is prohibitively expensive to do in SSD and who think they need an optical drive. 

 

The laptop line will be, in the near future, MacBook Air 11 and 13-inch and MacBook Pro 13 and 15-inch, all with retina displays and SSDs. If they don't drop the MacBook Pro 17, it will be late out of the gate because the cost of the retina display and the SSD storage would price it out of the market.

 

SSD storage starts at the bottom of the line and moves up as the cost of SSDs go down. The retina display starts with the MacBook Pro 15 because that's the best seller.

 

iMacs take very large screens and require a lot of storage, so it will take awhile for retina displays and SSDs to be inexpensive enough to be practical for iMacs. 

 

 

It's clear that Apple wants its entire line to have SSDs and Retina displays. They will eliminate optical drives and hard disks.

post #28 of 60

I thought yesterdays presentation was fantastic. The new macBook is the most impressive, most beautifully designed piece of hardware I have seen in a long time.

 

Let's hope that they announce the new redesigned macPro line up, the same time they announce the new 27" 4k retina display monitors :)

Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post
Where's the "Apple-tax" now?

 

"But it's $3,000!"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #30 of 60

Apple is doomed!

Nobody wants these.

They are $15,000.

Nobody buys stuff with permanent storage.

The retina display is a gimmick. 

Final Cut Pro is dead.

Tim Cook is a failure. 

Apple is abandoning their Pro market.

post #31 of 60

glad I got my order in when I did yesterday... still under the 5 to 7 days, even though mines CTO with 16gb of ram high end model.  Says delivery will be between the 21st and the 25th.  Their estimates are usually conservative.  I've "pre-orderd" machines like this from Apple twice before and always got them ahead of the estimates.

post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

It's the same with the Air. If you upgrade the Specs on those to get close to the 15", you get the same $2199 magic number. it's like they really want to sell these new ones.
What other company can push a $2200 notebook and expect to stay open?

You are absolutely right.  The 13 Air with 2.0Ghz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD is $2,199.  For the same price, you can get a 15 Retina Pro with much better specs.  Which one would you get?

 

Schiller is a master at the specs and pricing game.  And, it is all a terrific strategy to substantially increase Apple's share in the notebook market.  I am willing to bet that Apple's recent acquisition of the Israeli company Anobit will allow Apple to significantly reduce the cost of flash memory.  With low cost Retina display and low cost SSD, they will destroy the competition.  Just imagine in a couple of years.... a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display and 512GB SSD at $1,199.  Who will be able to compete with Apple?

post #33 of 60

The new standard for notebooks.  The competition will not be able to meet this standard for a while.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #34 of 60

As soon as these were released I didn't think twice about upgrading my 2008 MacBook unibody. I just bought a new iPad with retina display and I use it for most things that I used to use that MacBook for. But now that I have actually read through the specs more and watched that awesome promotional video, I am sold. This is now the hottest computer in the entire industry. The retina display changes everything. And it is well, well worth the cost. I am so glad that Apple still has passion for the Mac!

post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

glad I got my order in when I did yesterday... still under the 5 to 7 days, even though mines CTO with 16gb of ram high end model.  Says delivery will be between the 21st and the 25th.  Their estimates are usually conservative.  I've "pre-orderd" machines like this from Apple twice before and always got them ahead of the estimates.

Enjoy your new baby!

post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Apple is doomed!

Nobody wants these.

They are $15,000.

Nobody buys stuff with permanent storage.

The retina display is a gimmick. 

Final Cut Pro is dead.

Tim Cook is a failure. 

Apple is abandoning their Pro market.

Very interesting.  Hmm.  I wonder what will happen to all the people who own Apple products at the post doomed apple years?  Maybe Apple will just be a music company?  Or are they just plain doooooooooommeeedddddd!

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

For any whiners that say, "...but my old MBP had optical drives!"  Just buy the Apple external optical drive for $99 using the $300 you saved. Use the left over $200 to treat your wife to a night out and avoid the flack you'd get for upgrading your laptop.


mmmmmm good plan ....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioz View Post

I did the order very soon and got the confirmation of shipment in 5 days :-)
Ab upgrading fron 10.7.4 to 10.8.0 I really never seen a so smooth transition in Apple main version history (for ex 10.5-10.6 was very difficult as a lot apps they had to be upgraded, etc....). The passage 10.7-10.8 it is a candy :-), in fact I decided to pass all my machines to DP 4 without to wait for the real final version. Really hard to tell what is NOT working perfectly.
And it is visible how the code was optimised, that the real main feature of 10.8. Really fast and fluent. My two cents :-)

Good news. I may be wrong, I've not been a developer for a while ... but I don't think the release version of Mountain Lion will upgrade your Dev versions so you might some fun getting all your machines running the full release version if you've gone and used the Dev version on everything. I hope you have clones of all your drives. If I'm wrong I'm sure a Dev will correct me here.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #39 of 60

My experience is that a built-to-order machine comes faster than a stock configuration. In 2008, Apple announced a new iMac. I ordered one with an upgraded hard disk. The order acknowledgement said it would be delivered in three weeks. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived on Tuesday!

 

They probably have to pull a machine out of line, modify it to match your order, then there's no point in not sending it right away. If you change glad to happy, my guess is that it will much much faster.

post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital clips View Post
…I don't think the release version of Mountain Lion will upgrade your Dev versions so you might some fun getting all your machines running the full release version if you've gone and used the Dev version on everything. I hope you have clones of all your drives.

 

I bought Lion straight from the last Developer Preview thereof.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Shipping time for new Retina display MacBook Pro slips to 2-3 weeks