or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Rendered photos depict assembled next-gen iPhone [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rendered photos depict assembled next-gen iPhone [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 82
It's a totally killer HDR render. Unfortunately it's too beautiful to be real. No ordinary camera can get that particular kind of wide/fisheye look.
post #42 of 82
I've never understood why people care about fake 3D renderings of what a new apple product might look like.
post #43 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Wow, just wow. Is that the quality of renders these days? it completely fooled me, it looks so real, there's even slight wear & tear around the earpiece. Amazing job.

Yes good 3D artists blow me away nowadays. I particularly like the worn edges around what looks like the screen protector (which ironically is a giveaway since who would put a screen protector on a leaked prototype).
post #44 of 82

I understand that this is probably a rendering (deferring to many of you who seem to know what you're talking about).  Question, though...I don't see many, if any, posts regarding the black trim.  Are "you guys" generally okay with that?  I personally love the look of the iPhone4/4s, particularly the chrome trim.  Even if this is just a rendering, I'm surprised I don't hear more comments on that.  Did I miss a rumor suggesting the trim would change?  I don't really like this look, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.  Thoughts?
 

post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I understand that this is probably a rendering (deferring to many of you who seem to know what you're talking about).  Question, though...I don't see many, if any, posts regarding the black trim.  Are "you guys" generally okay with that?  I personally love the look of the iPhone4/4s, particularly the chrome trim.  Even if this is just a rendering, I'm surprised I don't hear more comments on that.  Did I miss a rumor suggesting the trim would change?  I don't really like this look, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.  Thoughts?

There have been discussions about the trim in previous threads. I like the black, it's pretty nice. I don't know how many rumors addressed a change in color.
post #46 of 82

The wood is the dead giveaway. Based on the scale of the phone, those planks are like... thumb width (or less) and yet have so much grain detail. It makes no sense at all. Clearly way out of scale... unless the new iPhone had a 24" screen.

post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoRoadster View Post

The Chinese site got this from some guys flicker account and slapped their logo on it. It's a computer rendering on Rhinoserious 3D based on leaked photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nepaltibet2005/sets/72157630041568903/detail/

Yes, the article even states that it's a rendering.

However, the original Flickr rendering says that it's based on leaked photos (presumably, the photos of the case that we saw a week ago). So, if the leaked photos are real (that's a big 'if'), then this could be an accurate representation of how the phone would actually look. Rendering doesn't necessarily prove that it's wrong - look at the guy's rendering of the white iPhone. While not perfect in every detail, that gives a very fair representation of how the white iPhone appears. The same thing could apply here (and I hope it does - I like the appearance of this phone).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've never understood why people care about fake 3D renderings of what a new apple product might look like.

 

People don't care. What they care about is when people try to pass them off as photographs or the real thing.

post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Yes, the article even states that it's a rendering.

 

The Appleinsider arcticle? Ahh. Good enough. It's been updated then since I read it.

post #50 of 82
All the edges of the front glass look crappy to me.
Even around the earpiece. Something's not right
With these pictures. I don't think apple would leave
The edges of the front glass looking like that. Unless
What I'm seeing is just from the picture.
But this is like the third different time in seeing
The same metal back and frame. It does seem like thats
The new phone.
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The guy is good - a previous render effort of his:

 

4673739469_e885711735.jpg

 

From 2 years ago.

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nepaltibet2005/4673739469/

 

Wow that is by far the most beautiful product render I have seen of all time. I wish Apple official product photography was like this.

post #52 of 82

What's with all of the "fake" posts?  The article clearly says it's a rendering--I mean, it's the first word in the title and everything.  Pretty impressive job, my compliments to the artist.

post #53 of 82

The original article didn't say it was a render, it was updated later, (hence the "[u]").

post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

What's with all of the "fake" posts?  The article clearly says it's a rendering--I mean, it's the first word in the title and everything.  Pretty impressive job, my compliments to the artist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

The original article didn't say it was a render, it was updated later, (hence the "").

Yes, the article was updated about six hours after the original posting. Interestingly enough, it looks like it was fixed about five minutes after I posted a link to one of those images from the guy's Flickr account, where he says what software he used.
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawOnMyPhone View Post

If the photos are real, the phone is not running iOS 6.0. As you can see, the maps app is represented by the old maps icon. It is unlikely that a prototype phone would be running iOS 5 instead of a beta of iOS 6.

 

It's not a photo it's a 3d render, based off the rumors that this same group of sites have been spreading to get hits. Frankly I suspect that we are about to have another iPhone 5 game. Every site was pushing those rumors, making such renders etc but it was all false. And this is likely to be as well. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if the reason Apple hasn't bought the hammer on these folks is that they know it's all false and they want folks so business assuming this is true that they aren't trying to find the truth. Apple might have actually started these rumors for this purpose. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent_bystander View Post

I find it suspicious that these purported leaked photos were posted to a Chinese website but feature a phone connected to AT&T's network (at 5 bars no less!) 

 

To give the suggestion that the source was in the US, and thus very possible someone connected to Apple. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #57 of 82

Looking closely at previous photos/videos, it seemed to me that the glass might stick out a bit in front (as it does on the current model) but NOT on the back. I thought that was odd. Why stick out at all—just make the metal larger. But that’s what is seen here. Either the render’s creator saw the same thing I did in the existing alleged leaks, or has a legitimate source all their own.

 

P.S. It amuses me that this is the BEST Apple fake ever, and yet we all know it’s fake :) (Still likely to be accurate, though.)


Edited by nagromme - 6/13/12 at 7:02am
post #58 of 82

The two-tone back reminds me of the first gen iPhone, a more sleek and modern interpretation of it - which is not a bad thing IMO.

post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Looking closely at previous photos/videos, it seemed to me that the glass might stick out a bit in front (as it does on the current model) but NOT on the back. I thought that was odd. Why stick out at all—just make the metal larger. But that’s what is seen here. Either the render’s creator saw the same thing I did in the existing alleged leaks, or has a legitimate source all their own.

It's not totally clear that the back has any glass in it, which would explain why the glass doesn't stick out. The video from a few days ago didn't show any gasketing on the back, which might suggest it's not glass.
post #60 of 82

Is this fifth or sixth generation? Going by Apple's model identifier code the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G were the same generation, the iPhone 3GS was 2nd generation, the iPhone 4 was 3rd generation, and the iPhone 4S is fourth generation.

post #61 of 82

I've read on a few Apple forums that people said this design was ugly....are they serious?

 

This to me is even more beautiful than the 4/4S

post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Is this fifth or sixth generation? Going by Apple's model identifier code the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G were the same generation, the iPhone 3GS was 2nd generation, the iPhone 4 was 3rd generation, and the iPhone 4S is fourth generation.

Model identifiers are meaningless. It's the 6th phone.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #63 of 82

Yeah, I was gonna say, it didn't say rendering when I read it earlier. 

The way I read it earlier was that it was a finished put together iPhone from the far east.

Anyway, it looks pretty good though.

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A set of rendered photos depict a what fully-assembled version of Apple's 2012 iPhone may look like, based on previously leaked components ...
 

 

Why is it when someone takes all the time to make a 3D model like this they fail to make any really good renders?  

 

Why hard to see black instead of white?  Why not both?  Why render them in bad lighting on a cloudy day when the purpose is to see what the thing looks like?  Why render them at odd angles with ridiculous amounts of foreshortening?  Why put them in an environment where the reflections play tricks with the form and actually hide it instead of illuminate it?  

 

bah. /rant

post #65 of 82

I actually hope that is the final design for the back. I think its really sleek!

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

 

Wow that is by far the most beautiful product render I have seen of all time. I wish Apple official product photography was like this.

Loving the sarcasm. :)

 

That aside; the render doesn't look realistic at all. You can tell its CGI at first glance. At least the iPhone 6 render in the article looks realistic.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #67 of 82
No way this is the next iPhone.
It is a design disaster .
Aspect ratio is stupid and inconsistent with all present apps and major headache to reprogram apps to the aspect.
Landscape mode bias is stupid! Not everyone just watches hd movies on iPhone.

The design and look is so patched up and ugly.
No way apple would designe a patched up look like that .. When they held off on producing the white iPhone for months and months just becouse the shade of white was no just right.

Finally the elongated look it is awkward and ugly ...
it is basically an elongated iPhone 4s.
No new design featur ..
Major problem if thus ever becomes reality!

I done believe it ever will.

May be a misdirection by apple to take attention away from the real design ,
.as he said he his doubling down on security!

Also how come all these iPhone leaks are there but there isn't one leak of tge coming tv? Or was zero leaks of the next gen macpros.?
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Model identifiers are meaningless. It's the 6th phone.

Or, even better, it's the late 2012 iPhone (or, more likely, the 2012 iPhone since it's unlikely that they'll introduce more than one model per year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

No way this is the next iPhone.
It is a design disaster .
Aspect ratio is stupid and inconsistent with all present apps and major headache to reprogram apps to the aspect.
Landscape mode bias is stupid! Not everyone just watches hd movies on iPhone.
The design and look is so patched up and ugly.

Actually, I like it. Now that everyone has a copy of the iPhone 4, this is a distinct appearance - and quite attractive (although I can't wait for everyone claiming that Apple is trying to monopolize the color black).

As for the rest, I don't agree. While I rarely watch movies on my iPhone, when using apps I use it in landscape mode far more often then portrait mode. If I'm using it as a phone, it doesn't matter - there's little difference. But when I'm texting or playing a game or searching the Internet, I very commonly use landscape, and the extra space might well be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

No way apple would designe a patched up look like that .. When they held off on producing the white iPhone for months and months just becouse the shade of white was no just right.
Finally the elongated look it is awkward and ugly ...
it is basically an elongated iPhone 4s.
No new design featur ..
Major problem if thus ever becomes reality!
I done believe it ever will.
May be a misdirection by apple to take attention away from the real design ,
.as he said he his doubling down on security!
Also how come all these iPhone leaks are there but there isn't one leak of tge coming tv? Or was zero leaks of the next gen macpros.?

Has it occurred to you that maybe there are no leaks of the coming TV because there IS no TV?

Besides, your argument is the logical fallacy - Fallacy of Ignorance. The fact that no one has proven something doesn't mean that it can't be real.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #69 of 82
This guy makes me ashamed for being Dutch.

PS Why don't people read the thread first before posting? Bit annoying to read rehashes and such
post #70 of 82

"Rendered photos depict assembled next-gen iPhone"

Er, uh. "rendered" means 3D illustration. If it's "rendered" it aint a photo.

post #71 of 82

A few things in those images struck me at first glance:

 

1 - in the first photo there are TWO phones… that'd be a first! 

2 - the wood strips under the phones are awfully narrow (about 1/2 inch wide or so?), and some of the lengths couldn't be more than an inch long. So what is it? Is it a table? Flooring? In either case, I'm trying to imagine both the object and the apparent locale (a construction site, maybe?), and it isn't adding up… which leads to...

3 - I couldn't help but notice the large overhead object casting shadows (and/or reflections) on the phones… is that a freeway overpass? An industrial crane? It could be notable that there is no hint of shadows from the object on the wood surface...

 

In the end, I decided that the images under the phones are "real" with the phone objects rendered in on top. The original wood strips are actually quite a bit larger in real life in proportion to an iPhone (also noting the wood's grain size)… The shadows/reflections on the phone of the overhead object just serve to obscure texture and other details on the phone renderings...

 

A great job, but I'm leaning on the side of "hoax"...

 

 

I'm also hoping this is the case. I really don't like the new "stretch" proportions of these purported iPhone 5s… I'm hoping they retain a less "long & thin" proportion, more like the current models...

post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

A great job, but I'm leaning on the side of "hoax"...

Because it is…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

This guy makes me ashamed for being Dutch.

You're that easily shamed? I just don't see much there, and frankly, there's plenty of bone-headed-ness in every single demographic. With that low of a bar, there's an overwhelming amount of shame to be had.

Quote:
PS Why don't people read the thread first before posting? Bit annoying to read rehashes and such

True. Some people don't even read two posts beyond a post they use to make a rant. Just to be clear, that's not about you, just something I see a lot.
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

This guy makes me ashamed for being Dutch.
PS Why don't people read the thread first before posting? Bit annoying to read rehashes and such
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


You're that easily shamed? I just don't see much there, and frankly, there's plenty of bone-headed-ness in every single demographic. With that low of a bar, there's an overwhelming amount of shame to be had.
True. Some people don't even read two posts beyond a post they use to make a rant. Just to be clear, that's not about you, just something I see a lot.

 

Why can't people respond to the article in their own words, whatever they may be, without reading every post (sometimes, there are over 100!)?

post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Why can't people respond to the article in their own words, whatever they may be, without reading every post (sometimes, there are over 100!)?

Granted. Still, when you put it that way, it's still silly when the article is corrected to say it's a rendering, and many hours after the correction folks are triumphantly declaring it to be a fake. It's pretty sad when the headline and the first paragraph (in bold) are left unread and they take the time to post said declaration.

If this continues, then at some point, I think Internet conversations are going to do away with words and become a means of only communicating through images.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/13/12 at 9:00pm
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

I'd love to see an iPhone with a 1080p screen.  Too bad that's not going to happen.  But I can always dream.

Now back to reality... I don't like the fact that the phone only got taller instead of taller and wider.  I'd prefer the original 3:2 dimension with a 4.0" screen size instead of the now 16:9 dimension which will make my apps all have black bars.  I don't mind the less dense pixel density due to screen size increase with the same resolution. On the other hand, I can't afford to upgrade this time around anyway, unless Sprint decides to let us upgrade at a discounted price like they did last Christmas.  Here's hoping they do that.  I seriously need to have LTE instead of being stuck with the super slow 0.05 Mbps that I currently get with their "3G."  I might use that to threaten them that if they don't let me upgrade to an LTE device at a reasonable upgrade price, they'll lose me as a customer as soon as my contract expires. 

Agree with you %150. Would be so UN-Apple to make al, apps run with black bars, UNLESS UPDATED. So lame.
post #77 of 82
They were pretty clearly CGI right from the start. And there's no way in hell Apple would release an iphone whose black finish can be scratched off like that.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Loving the sarcasm. :)

 

That aside; the render doesn't look realistic at all. You can tell its CGI at first glance. At least the iPhone 6 render in the article looks realistic.

 

LOL I wasn't sarcastic. I don't mind it being a render of the white iPhone. Yes, even if it is CGI it's a very artistic CGI. I'm a little bored with the standard Apple product photography, as beautiful as it is.

post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it is…{a hoax}

I don't think that's quite right. A hoax is something with intent to deceive. In this case, the guy who did the rendering made it clear that he was simply taking the leaked photos of the case and rendering what the complete phone would look like. That means that the rendering is clearly based on the premise that the leaked photos are real. Basically, "if the photos of the case back are real, this is what a complete phone would look like". I don't see how that's a hoax.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Granted. Still, when you put it that way, it's still silly when the article is corrected to say it's a rendering, and many hours after the correction folks are triumphantly declaring it to be a fake. It's pretty sad when the headline and the first paragraph (in bold) are left unread and they take the time to post said declaration.

 

You've a point there. It sounds like they read the article before the edit but commented later?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If this continues, then at some point, I think Internet conversations are going to do away with words and become a means of only communicating through images.

 

I'm sure we will then see duplicate images. We already see that when people quote messages with images. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Rendered photos depict assembled next-gen iPhone [u]