or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3 - Page 2

post #41 of 148

My iPhone 4 already does facetime over 3G. It's called jailbreaking and a little app named 3G unrestrictor. Also lets me download apps of any size. Sorry apple, but for a company that's all about "simplicity" your feature set is one of the most complicated on the market. It will only get worse when they go to the simple naming scheme because no one will be able to keep track of which phone they have, just like with the current mac models. 

post #42 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesevanstn View Post

My iPhone 4 already does facetime over 3G. It's called jailbreaking and a little app named 3G unrestrictor. Also lets me download apps of any size. Sorry apple, but for a company that's all about "simplicity" your feature set is one of the most complicated on the market. It will only get worse when they go to the simple naming scheme because no one will be able to keep track of which phone they have, just like with the current mac models. 

Orly welcome to the forums btw since you joined just to post the above.

Sure you could jailbreak...I've done it on my 4...and it doesn't compare to the 4S..

You guys do remember the A5 does have some differences from the A4
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #43 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

For which feature? Turn-by-turn navigation? I have that on my iPhone 4 using Navigon. Works great.

 

Siri? Works on jailbroken phones.

 

At the very least, for those two features, Apple has held them back from iPhone 4 users with some other motive in mind other than hardware capability.

 

The feature that is the main subject this thread.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #44 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

The Verizon iPhone 4S has Siri and will receive the other updates from iOS 6 and it does not use the HSPA network since Verizon does not have one.

 

Data throughput is not a valid argument.

 

How about Apple's servers? Also one carrier does not make it invalid when it may be the majority.

post #45 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpriceslc View Post

If the iPhone 4 can do FaceTime over Wi-Fi, it can do FaceTime over 3G...
 

They made a deal with the carriers, Most 4s don't have the unlimited data plans, as most iphone 4 could have.   if you upgrade to new phone you lose the data plan.

post #46 of 148

Siri - Uses Apples servers. Just with the 4S we have times the servers can't handle it all. Adding iPhone 4 will just make it worse.

Turn by turn - uses parts of Siri and Apple's servers more.

post #47 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

 

How about Apple's servers? Also one carrier does not make it invalid when it may be the majority.

 

Apple's Servers?

 

If Skype servers can handle the whole world of phones and PC's, I think Apple can handle iphone 4S's and 4's.

post #48 of 148

So not for the iPhone 4 huh?  That doesn't seem right.  I am glad I have an iPhone 4s.

 

Apple did release iPhoto for iPad 2 or better.  I was able to get iPhoto to work on my iPad first Gen.  But there is no way to hack SIRI on an iPhone 4 in iOS 6.  How sad.

 

Maybe a company like Google will release a program capable turn by turn nab for the iPhone 4 and older.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #49 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesevanstn View Post

My iPhone 4 already does facetime over 3G. It's called jailbreaking and a little app named 3G unrestrictor. Also lets me download apps of any size. Sorry apple, but for a company that's all about "simplicity" your feature set is one of the most complicated on the market. It will only get worse when they go to the simple naming scheme because no one will be able to keep track of which phone they have, just like with the current mac models. 

Much better to keep everything simple and never offer software upgrades like Google and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

For which feature? Turn-by-turn navigation? I have that on my iPhone 4 using Navigon. Works great.

Siri? Works on jailbroken phones.

At the very least, for those two features, Apple has held them back from iPhone 4 users with some other motive in mind other than hardware capability.

Wait! Apple is holding back Navigon from iPhone 4? That's the first I heard of that. You say it works great though. Is that a jailbreak?
post #50 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

They made a deal with the carriers, Most 4s don't have the unlimited data plans, as most iphone 4 could have.   if you upgrade to new phone you lose the data plan.

WUT? Most of the 4S user's I know have grandfathered data plans along with myself and my wife's phone...upgrading to the new phone would not change your plan..just your contract term length.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #51 of 148

I agree. I am really mad that iPhone 4 has become a stepchild.

post #52 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I dont believe the sinister motive that many will write about. My guess is that Apple determined that pre-4S models didn't offer the minimum quality of user experience they wanted the public to have.

More likely the decision was made to exclude the iPhone 4 so carriers could start handling FaceTime gradually. It seems the main issue at hand here is that Apple claims they have one platform and one version of an OS when in reality the fine print creates a whole host of various sub-versions and feature fragmentation. We're still a far cry from the Android quagmire but I can't help missing the days of OS X when buying the newest version meant getting all the new features.

post #53 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

I agree. I am really mad that iPhone 4 has become a stepchild.

And you don't think the 4S will suffer the same fate?? The device update is coming soon...the 4S is well over 6 months old now...with new device comes features the just upgraded 4S users will miss out on..
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #54 of 148
So Apple i pulling the same stunt again (as they did with lte/4g)? First publishing something and then change the requirement. Hope that you have a screen shot of the text because there will be a number of people here that will not believe you until hard evidence is published ;-)
post #55 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post


And you don't think the 4S will suffer the same fate?? The device update is coming soon...the 4S is well over 6 months old now...with new device comes features the just upgraded 4S users will miss out on..

Wasn't the 4S released about 9 months ago back in October last year?  I recall it being about the 14th or so of October for the first release. 

 

Which to be honest, is how we should be judging the age of any product that Apple releases.  You buy a 3gs today it is not 1 day old - the phone itself is a 3 year old device.

post #56 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

Wow - us iphone 4 owners are really getting the shaft.  Pretty shitty move Apple - considering my phone is only a little over a year old.
 

 

Yeah, except when iOS 6 actually *launches* (it isn't out right now obviously), your phone will be two generations old and would have shipped with an OS that is two generations old as well.  Also, at that time, your phone will fall into the "free" category in terms of most offers from most cell providers.  

 

It will on the other hand *run* iOS 6 and you will get it as a free upgrade (even though when you bought it, the promise was only that it would run iOS 4 and iOS 5), except a few features won't be working/possible.  

 

the Horror! 

 

Wah-wah, etc. 

post #57 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum View Post

So Apple i pulling the same stunt again (as they did with lte/4g)? First publishing something and then change the requirement. Hope that you have a screen shot of the text because there will be a number of people here that will not believe you until hard evidence is published ;-)

Sorry this should be quoting bob101 and yardbirdjo
post #58 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

**** you Apple. My iPhone 4 is less than a year old, and you're trying to coerce me into buying new one already?...

 

It doesn't matter when you bought it.  

 

The iPhone 4 is by definition 1 year and 9 months old, not "less than a year."  When iOS 6 is out it will be over 2 years old

 

(the rest of your post is mindless insults based on zero facts and not worth answering). 

post #59 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by clgoh View Post

On the Australian site (http://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios6/)
Quote:
4. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

It doesn't say that. Tried the link you gave me and it says 4S and 3rd gen iPad only.
post #60 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Wasn't the 4S released about 9 months ago back in October last year?  I recall it being about the 14th or so of October for the first release. 

Which to be honest, is how we should be judging the age of any product that Apple releases.  You buy a 3gs today it is not 1 day old - the phone itself is a 3 year old device.

Yep about 242-3 days ago to be precise, I set a memo for that date in my calendar so it reminds me often 1wink.gif after all we did wait quite awhile for the 4S to arrive.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #61 of 148

I'd say we have an excessive amount of OS fragmentation going on here but Apple is employing a ruse by giving each device it's own OS with the same version number as everybody else, but obviously severely restricting features for older devices.  As such, for Apple to point the finger at Google about OS fragmentation is a sham.    

post #62 of 148

IOS6.JPG

 

I see the problem. I checked the website within minutes of the IOS6 announcement. My browser cached the page and this is what it showed. Now I refreshed it, and I do see that they have changed it to 4S.

 

Looks like, Apple changed their tune from the time they announced to now.

post #63 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

 

Not on Verizon, they don't. Network throughput is not the reason they are limiting these features to the 4S. There are no hardware limitations either.

 

You're just making things up here about the hardware and you know it.  Anyone who thinks they are being "shafted" or anything similar is just a whiner.  It's always the same with every product release, and there is no logical argument to support the whining.  

 

The essential argument being made by the whiners goes like this:

 

"I want the latest features, but I don't want to upgrade every year to get them."

 

Rational?  No.  

post #64 of 148

Pls remove this post, admins.

post #65 of 148

Thanks for posting a link to this. Very helpful.

Quote:
post #66 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Siri? Works on jailbroken phones.

But not as well.

 

A large part of the quality of Siri's voice recognition is the new microphone on the 4S.

 

Even on my 4S if I use a bluetooth mic, Siri does not work as well on my 4S.

post #67 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post


It may also be that these new advanced features that are very beificial, convienent, and more "flashy" to the public eye may and probable will get more use, and suck up more cellular data because of their ease of use and mainstream attraction.
So knowing this the mobile networks (like Verizon) who are trying to cap or move people away from their grandfathered unlimited data plans, struck a deal to allow it only on the newest devices.
Version won't let you upgrade your phone without switching to a metered cellular plan.
So when The new iPhone comes out, of course you want it . . .
Byebye unlimited plan.
So this makes since in that regard.
Some of these features can be done on older devices but I'm sure it scares the ish out of the networks with all the popularity and unlimited plans out there.
It's a calculated rule, and I'm sure that's what Steve Jobs meant when he announced FaceTime and said something like needing to "work a little" with the networks.

 

Just imagine what impact "Siri Does Dallas" (Cowboys, Stars, Rangers, Mavericks, Sidekicks...) will have on network usage when people look up scores, stats, etc...

 

This Siri Sports ability, alone will, likely, drive the Siri servers performance down the drain, day-in-day-out, year 'round.

 

One way to help assure reasonable performance for desired/limited service is to charge [more] for the service the better it is -- box seats cost more than bleacher seats.

 

Another way is to provide the service free, but limit access to, say, members of the stadium club (as a benefit of paid membership in the club).

 

 

So, what Apple/carriers are doing with these "limited-availability" services -- is providing them free, but limiting the access to them to "members of the club who have paid their dues".

 

Another way to consider this -- everyone who buys a ticket is not entitled to sit in the executive boxes.  Even if the team wanted to allow it, there aren't enough seats for everyone...

 

In this case, "seats" equates to the bandwidth/server load necessary to deliver an acceptable level of service.

 

 

Even if you have the ability to buy executive box seats -- no one is forcing you to...  you can buy an end zone seat for a much lower price.

 

 

But it is unrealistic to expect when you bought executive boxes last year -- and therefore that entitles you to site in the executive boxes this year (with your end zone ticket).

 

That's the way of the world with cars, sports, computers, cell phones...  you get what you pay for when you buy it.

 

If you want/need a thing badly enough you will find a way to pay for it.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #68 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No, that's not how you determine it.
Would you say that since the original iPhone could do FaceTime over Wi-Fi it could do FaceTime over cellular? Not all 3G is created equal, either.

 

You're both right.  I have no doubt that the iPhone 4 could do FaceTime over 3G.  In fact, weren't there hacks to enable this a while back?  Apple is just choosing to not allow it...and we all know why.  I agree, however, with what you wrote about 3G.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #69 of 148

What is it with people calling devices obsolete when they're actively being sold? Very condescending, IMO. This answer is frequently accompanied by the arguments that people should simply buy the latest that the company offers if they want the newest features.

 

Is it that much to expect that a company support their current offerings? Apple (any company for that matter) should make it clear what the support guidelines are. Wouldn't it be odd if, for example, Mountain Lion didn't support Messages or Facetime with i7 not i5? Only on MacBooks purchased in 2011 and 2012? Only with MacBook Pro and not MacBook Air? I suppose the same arguments could be made there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Is it really that much of a shock that Apple is making the newest features exclusive to its latest products?  If your hardware is 2 years old, it's already obsolete for a company who updates its hardware on a yearly cycle.

 

I can't imagine what fun feature items will be unavailable for users of 2010 equipment for Mountain Lion later this summer and for iOS7 next year.

 

People who bought a Mac before this week's refresh and an iPad 2 before the new iPad came out were especially screwed, but they should have known better by doing research and realizing that Apple's behavior is quite established.

 

If you want to ride the "Latest and Greatest" tech wave with Apple and get the most bang for your hardware buck, your best bet is to have a big wallet and be ready to refresh your hardware every 2 years so that you can leapfrog.  Buy every other iPhone.  Buy every other MacBook refresh.  Dump your old hardware on craigslist, ebay, or to Windows-using relatives.

 

My forecasts for 2013:

 

People who bought a Mac computer in the 2011 Back To School season will miss out on some features in 2013's OSX 10.9. (Think of Air Drop, requiring only newer machines when 10.7 came out, for example.)

 

The iPhone 3GS will be replaced by the iPhone4 as the legacy "free" phone.  The iPhone4S will not get every feature in 2013's iOS7 -- those features require the A6 processor found only in the iPhone5.  The iPad4 runs everything in iOS7.  The new iPad (3) runs most things.

post #70 of 148
Anyone tried to connect an iphoneto another iphone via internet sharing and then run facetime over 3g? Does it work good enough if at all?
post #71 of 148

I do it is great for talking to my son in Japan and the best part is it is free.

 

What fragmenting are you referring to and do you know the meaning of fragmenting.

post #72 of 148

iOS 6 on iPhone 4 can do Facetime over 3G cellular.

 

The blogger of this piece is flat wrong and I am surprise he didn't amend this blog.

 

FAIL.

post #73 of 148

Almost as bad as Siri not being made available for iPad 2 in iOS 6, even though you can still buy it new now.
 

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #74 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpriceslc View Post

If the iPhone 4 can do FaceTime over Wi-Fi, it can do FaceTime over 3G...
 

 

They could be compressing the image more for 3G connections to reduce bandwidth which may require the faster processor in the 4S to get the reliability and performance Apple wants.

 

See the Siri example, You can hack Siri to run on the iPhone 4 as well, but the 4 doesn't have the hardware support that's built into the 4S that allows for better voice recognition. So in that case it wasn't an arbitrary decision to require the 4S.  I doubt it was just an arbitrary decision in the case of FaceTime.

 

As for turn by turn that was mentioned.  That service is tied to Siri and Siri requires 4S, so of course turn by turn requires the 4S.

post #75 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Almost as bad as Siri not being made available for iPad 2 in iOS 6, even though you can still buy it new now.

What does that have to do with anything? Do you really think the iPhone 3GS is going to get virtually any new features whatsoever? It'll get Facebook integration; that's about it.
post #76 of 148

"Fragmentation" here is referring to the number of active smartphones on a particular platform running different OS versions. And platform is a proxy for and is being conflated with actual features. iOS 6 will support all actively sold mobile devices and likely be quickly installed. The features, however, will not be available on all devices. That VIP and flagged mail and Offline Reading List won't work on 3GS is peculiar. HTH.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

I do it is great for talking to my son in Japan and the best part is it is free.

 

What fragmenting are you referring to and do you know the meaning of fragmenting.

post #77 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

iOS 6 on iPhone 4 can do Facetime over 3G cellular.

 

The blogger of this piece is flat wrong and I am surprise he didn't amend this blog.

 

FAIL.

According to Apple he is right - their website explicitly says that the iPhone 4 running iOS6 will not run facetime over cellular.

 

 

Quote: Apple
FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.
post #78 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


What does that have to do with anything? Do you really think the iPhone 3GS is going to get virtually any new features whatsoever? It'll get Facebook integration; that's about it.


I wasn't referring to the 3GS, I was referring to the iPhone 4, which is also still available to buy.

 

It's one thing for these devices to be technically inferior in some ways (speed, camera quality etc) but another to artificially restrict features (like Face Time and Siri) for no rational reason, other than a nod to the carriers to restrict data on their networks.

 

Quite honestly, AI needs to get a bit more objective too in its reporting, rather than being an apologist for every decision Apple makes.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #79 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I wasn't referring to the 3GS, I was referring to the iPhone 4, which is also still available to buy.

But that was your point.
Quote:
…artificially restrict features (like Face Time and Siri) for no rational reason…

You're certain of this?
post #80 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post


I wasn't referring to the 3GS, I was referring to the iPhone 4, which is also still available to buy.

 

It's one thing for these devices to be technically inferior in some ways (speed, camera quality etc) but another to artificially restrict features (like Face Time and Siri) for no rational reason, other than a nod to the carriers to restrict data on their networks.

 

Quite honestly, AI needs to get a bit more objective too in its reporting, rather than being an apologist for every decision Apple makes.

 

There are technical reasons - here is the reason for Siri - there is new hardware built into the A5 that is specifically to support Siri.  Apple won't release as substandard implementation on devices that don't have this hardware.

 

 

http://article-interlingual.blogspot.com/2012/02/iphone-4s-has-special-noise-reduction.html

 

Quote:

iPhone 4S has special noise reduction hardware for SIRI, makes official iPhone 4 Siri port unlikely

 
It turns out that Apple's Siri voice assistant is enabled by special noise reduction hardware called earSmart, wired right into the Apple A5 processor. The technology is made by Audience, which has an earSmart-less chip in the iPhone 4. The difference is, the iPhone 4 chip was designed to reduce noise when speaking directly into the microphone (like when you're on a phone call), while the chip in the iPhone 4S is designed for a wider field of sound, so you could talk to your phone at arm's-length (as one tends to with Siri) and still benefit from noise cancellation. The bundling of earSmart with the processor explains why the A5 chip was so much bigger than expected, even after taking into account the second core. It also means that, if you're still desperately clinging to the hope that Apple will someday update the iPhone 4with Siri functionality, now's the time to let go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3