or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets

Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Windows RT tablets are going to be awesome. Tablets that can run full desktop apps will be killer devices. What's that? Those tablets won't be able to run desktop apps? Oh? There will be Windows 8 tablets that can?

Oh well. I'm sure consumers will understand the difference.

Actually RT -business/power- users could also run x86 applications hosted remotely using remote desktop. Maybe it is a way Microsoft could follows, providing cloud/remote hosting of desktop x86 applications.

post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWicks10934 View Post

Does it include "CNTRL/AL/DELETE   ?

Actually "Ctrl+Alt+Del" has become some start/lock screen since Vista, Windows Task Manager is since then "Ctrl+Shift+Esc". :)

post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You may have missed the memo where iOS devices have been found to represent 90% of the volume on the web of phones and tablets.

Nope, iOS is rather around 63% of the mobile web traffic.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/

post #84 of 85

You know, if you're going to dismiss other posters as "old farts resistant to change" you should probably try not to come off as a wheezing old shill handing out marketing slogans like a greasy carney barker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

(1) Dynamic Icons are superior to Static Icons because they allow you to "glance & go"

(2) The entire system is designed for search.  iOS makes you go to a special screen.

(3) The apps can communicate with each other, which adds functionality to programs by simply adding other programs.  iOS can't do this.

(4) The 30 year old desktop metaphor finally receives an update that makes you more productive than you were previously.

1-- "Glance and go" at what?  The temperature?  The date?  A stock price?  This was the same line MS used for the rollout of the metro language Windows phone, and it notably went nowhere.  Why?  Because people aren't slaving away on their phones or tablets dragging up hard to get to weather apps.  They're looking at web pages, email, using apps, playing games.  All stuff that doesn't really fit into a "live tile" or succumb to a "glance."   The whole idea that tiles are some kind of panacea for easily accessible info is some much MS dumbfuckery.

2--"Just type" is nice, but hardly earthshaking.  It's not exactly a chore to get to the iOS search screen.  Unless you spend more than 50% of your time "searching" you're not going to see much of a time savings.

3-- Of course iOS apps can communicate with each other.  Apps have links to one another, and Apple is adding more of this all the time. 

4-- And there it is, the fabulous, vague, meaningless "more productive", which ranks right up there with "real work" in the "I have no idea what I'm talking about outside of hostility to Apple" lexicon.  I can see you now, speedily searching for things and glancing and going and just really plowing through another jam packed day of looking at You Tube videos and texting your friends.  

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know, if you're going to dismiss other posters as "old farts resistant to change" you should probably try not to come off as a wheezing old shill handing out marketing slogans like a greasy carney barker.

1-- "Glance and go" at what?  The temperature?  The date?  A stock price?  This was the same line MS used for the rollout of the metro language Windows phone, and it notably went nowhere.  Why?  Because people aren't slaving away on their phones or tablets dragging up hard to get to weather apps.  They're looking at web pages, email, using apps, playing games.  All stuff that doesn't really fit into a "live tile" or succumb to a "glance."   The whole idea that tiles are some kind of panacea for easily accessible info is some much MS dumbfuckery.

2--"Just type" is nice, but hardly earthshaking.  It's not exactly a chore to get to the iOS search screen.  Unless you spend more than 50% of your time "searching" you're not going to see much of a time savings.

3-- Of course iOS apps can communicate with each other.  Apps have links to one another, and Apple is adding more of this all the time. 

4-- And there it is, the fabulous, vague, meaningless "more productive", which ranks right up there with "real work" in the "I have no idea what I'm talking about outside of hostility to Apple" lexicon.  I can see you now, speedily searching for things and glancing and going and just really plowing through another jam packed day of looking at You Tube videos and texting your friends.  
1. Speaking as someone who has wp7 I could not live without live tiles. Yeah a lot of it is simple stuff, like I never open the weather app cos it's right there. But my other 2 main uses are seeing my next calendar appointments on the tile and seeing how many news items there are before opening the app. Plus when nokias maps app gets updated to warn me of traffic issues it's going to be even more amazing.

2. Does anyone actually use iOS search? So far I've found it completely useless.

3. If iOS apps can talk to each other why don't they? I've never found a way to attach a doc to an email from a 3rd party app without first opening that app. Nor does the photos app let me open photos in any of the photo editing apps I have.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets