or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad

post #1 of 147
Thread Starter 
At a media event in Los Angeles next week, Microsoft is expected to show off a new tablet that the company has built itself in an attempt to better compete with Apple's market leading iPad.

Citing anonymous sources, Ina Fried of All Things D said that Microsoft has concluded that developing both hardware and software is the best possible way to take on Apple. Separately, The Wrap also reported that Microsoft will manufacture its own tablet to compete with Apple's iPad.

Microsoft's custom-built tablet is expected to run on ARM-based processors, but the company may also build other models based on traditional PC chips, sources told Fried. If true, the strategy would be a major change for Microsoft, which has built Zune media players and Xbox game consoles, but otherwise avoided making its own computers.

Microsoft is set to hold an event next Monday, June 18, that the company has teased will feature a "major" announcement. Original reports said that Microsoft planned to show off ARM-based tablets running the company's new Windows RT tablet-focused operating system, but it was originally thought the hardware would be from third-party manufacturers.

Much like Apple's iOS is a separate platform from its OS X operating system for Mac, Windows RT will be a separate platform than Windows 8 with its own applications. Windows RT will not be sold at retail, and will only be available preinstalled on PCs and tablets powered by ARM processors.

Windows 8


Microsoft last attempted to drum up buzz for Windows-powered tablets in early 2010, when CEO Steve Ballmer took the stage at the Consumer Electronics Show to unveil the HP Slate. The announcement came as rumors of an Apple tablet were at a fever pitch, just weeks before the first iPad would be officially unveiled.

But the HP Slate was a complete failure, with a total of just 9,000 units sold by the end of 2010. HP later tried again with its own webOS-powered TouchPad, rather than Microsoft's Windows, but that product was quickly discontinued last year after it failed to compete with the iPad.
post #2 of 147

These "tablets" will have their own tiny little hammer & chisel, instead of the traditional keypad -

Its Microsoft's take on the "touch screen keyboard"...

post #3 of 147

Windows RT will be a separate platform than Windows 8 with its own applications.

 

From what I've heard, Win RT will run any Metro App, just like full blown Windows 8 for Intel will. The difference is that Win RT won't be able to run desktop or legacy Windows apps. 

post #4 of 147

What are they going to call it - ZunePad?

post #5 of 147

Exactly. 

 

One word: Zune.

post #6 of 147

I assume it will feature a physical keyboard?

post #7 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At a media event in Los Angeles next week, Microsoft is expected to show off a new tablet that the company has built itself in an attempt to better compete with Apple's market leading iPad.
Citing anonymous sources, Ina Fried of All Things D said that Microsoft has concluded that developing both hardware and software is the best possible way to take on Apple. Separately, The Wrap also reported that Microsoft will manufacture its own tablet to compete with Apple's iPad.
Microsoft's custom-built tablet is expected to run on ARM-based processors, but the company may also build other models based on traditional PC chips, sources told Fried. If true, the strategy would be a major change for Microsoft, which has built Zune media players and Xbox game consoles, but otherwise avoided making its own computers.
Microsoft is set to hold an event next Monday, June 18, that the company has teased will feature a "major" announcement. Original reports said that Microsoft planned to show off ARM-based tablets running the company's new Windows RT tablet-focused operating system, but it was originally thought the hardware would be from third-party manufacturers.
Much like Apple's iOS is a separate platform from its OS X operating system for Mac, Windows RT will be a separate platform than Windows 8 with its own applications. Windows RT will not be sold at retail, and will only be available preinstalled on PCs and tablets powered by ARM processors.
Windows 8

Microsoft last attempted to drum up buzz for Windows-powered tablets in early 2010, when CEO Steve Ballmer took the stage at the Consumer Electronics Show to unveil the HP Slate. The announcement came as rumors of an Apple tablet were at a fever pitch, just weeks before the first iPad would be officially unveiled.
But the HP Slate was a complete failure, with a total of just 9,000 units sold by the end of 2010. HP later tried again with its own webOS-powered TouchPad, rather than Microsoft's Windows, but that product was quickly discontinued last year after it failed to compete with the iPad.

The problem is that the OS sucks.  Get a clue Microsoft.  

post #8 of 147

It never gets old, watching Microsoft play the role of Wiley Coyote to Road Runner, or Penguin to Batman. Coyote or Penguin try to come up with some wonderful invention to help them one-up the Road Runner or Batman. And the invention ends up being a dud, or even when it turns into something impressive it falls apart because Wiley or Penguin just don't have the natural acumen to wield its power. Or when they manage to successfully use their new weapon, Road Runner or Batman reveal some secret new trick from their own bag of tricks to outdo their nemesis.

"Foiled again! Where does he get all those wonderful toys?!"

post #9 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

It never gets old, watching Microsoft play the role of Wiley Coyote to Road Runner, or Penguin to Batman. Coyote or Penguin try to come up with some wonderful invention to help them one-up the Road Runner or Batman. And the invention ends up being a dud, or even when it turns into something impressive it falls apart because Wiley or Penguin just don't have the natural acumen to wield its power. Or when they manage to successfully use their new weapon, Road Runner or Batman reveal some secret new trick from their own bag of tricks to outdo their nemesis.
"Foiled again! Where does he get all those wonderful toys?!"

I think Dr. Doofenschmirtz is a better example.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #10 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

 Road Runner or Batman reveal some secret new trick from their own bag of tricks to outdo their nemesis.

"Foiled again! Where does he get all those wonderful toys?!"

 

"Why didn't somebody tell me he one of those things! Bob, gun." Bang.

post #11 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

It never gets old, watching Microsoft play the role of Wiley Coyote to Road Runner, or Penguin to Batman. Coyote or Penguin try to come up with some wonderful invention to help them one-up the Road Runner or Batman. And the invention ends up being a dud, or even when it turns into something impressive it falls apart because Wiley or Penguin just don't have the natural acumen to wield its power. Or when they manage to successfully use their new weapon, Road Runner or Batman reveal some secret new trick from their own bag of tricks to outdo their nemesis.

"Foiled again! Where does he get all those wonderful toys?!"

Maybe Microsoft will name their new tablet "the Acme".

post #12 of 147
Good! Even more fragmentation of the non iPad market.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #13 of 147

Not concerned, Microsoft can't do hardware well.  Look at the size of the XBox 360, Microsoft Zune, Microsoft Phone...

post #14 of 147

They have the slowest photocopiers.

post #15 of 147
Zune 2.0... lol

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #16 of 147

Even though the tablet might turn out to be a piece of junk, building their own hardware is a smart move by Microsoft. Apple has clearly demonstrated that building the whole widget is the best way to go.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #17 of 147
Memo to Ballmer: Before you take on the iPad, see if you can beat the HP Touchpad, RIM Playbook, Kindle Fire, and other Android slabs.
post #18 of 147

Again?... zzz...ZZZ...zzz...ZZZ...zzz...

post #19 of 147
A market analyst recently said that he sees no other vendors/tablets in the foreseeable future that will be able to offer the buyer a compelling alternative to the iPad. At WWDC we saw Apple's half of the foreseeable future. I've played with ICS and Metro, the other half of the foreseeable future, and the analyst was correct.
post #20 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerod View Post

I assume it will feature a physical keyboard?

 

...only the control, alt, and delete keys.

post #21 of 147

If I were one of their hardware partners for tablets I would not be happy at all with this news.  First there is the rumored $80 fee per tablet for their RT OS and now a competing tablet.  Not a good partner to have.

post #22 of 147

Let's see now.

  • iPod resulted in iPad
  • so Zune results in Zene

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #23 of 147
It will come with viruses preloaded, and a BSOD as its default desktop wallpaper, no doubt. But, it will certainly be a wond'rous thing for the Apple haters to behold.
post #24 of 147

But seriously, Apple built their comeback OS on tried and tested UNIX-based underpinnings. If MS is going to get into the game they would be better off adopting a workable platform and putting value add into something other than the underlying system, e.g. do what Amazon did with Android, though it's hard to see where they would start in terms of a compelling offering on content.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #25 of 147
Doesn't the XboX have an extremely high failure rate? Perhaps the highest failure rate of an consumer electronics device, ever?

GameSpot.com reports that "... The September issue of the Minnesota-based, GameStop-owned magazine features the results of the survey, which found that a whopping 54.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners surveyed reported having the console fail on them once..." "... Perhaps more damning, 41.2 percent of 360 owners had a second hardware malfunction--meaning that potentially 12.36 million people have had their consoles fail again..."

GameSpot indicated that "... As with the Game Informer study, SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error..."

Microsof't response? New, slimmer design which removed the possibility of "Red Ring of Death" and no longer offering a three year warranty "because this is a new design."

This is exactly the type of company from which I want to purchase consumer electronics.
post #26 of 147
Microsoft rumored to have ALREADY made tablets 10 years ago.
post #27 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

 

...only the control, alt, and delete keys.

 

...and F8.  Gotta be able to boot in safe mode.

post #28 of 147

I'm not really feeling those huge tiles on the screen, not to mention the disgusting colors which might cause seizures in certain people. The tablet might be useful for bulimic people though and they should definitely check it out.

 

Since I'm not a retard, I'm not in pre school, and I also have good taste, I will regretfully have to pass on this tablet, as I am obviously not part of their intended demographic.

post #29 of 147

Bring it on, Microsoft. I have a distinct feeling this will backfire on MS in a huge way. I predict it will lead to Ballmer's ouster.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #30 of 147

Well...say what you will, but I'm already preparing for a ZunePad launch party!!

 

 

NOTE: Sickness bags can be found in the seat pocket in front of you.

post #31 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

But seriously, Apple built their comeback OS on tried and tested UNIX-based underpinnings. If MS is going to get into the game they would be better off adopting a workable platform and putting value add into something other than the underlying system, e.g. do what Amazon did with Android, though it's hard to see where they would start in terms of a compelling offering on content.

 

In all fairness, there is very little information on what "Windows RT" is even comprised of.  Most articles on it merely mention the hardware spec.  

 

Also, if anyone can do an "Amazon play" by tying the tablet into content sources, it's Microsoft.  They have an enormous amount of content deals in place relative to other players like Samsung or Google. 

post #32 of 147

So dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers are unable to compete ... and now MS, builder of mice expects to be able to build a device to compete?  This, I want to see.
 

post #33 of 147

If this tablet compares with ipad 2 for speed and price, and ships with microsoft office.

It might actually be interesting!

post #34 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

It never gets old, watching Microsoft play the role of Wiley Coyote to Road Runner, or Penguin to Batman.

Don't insult Wiley Coyote like that.
post #35 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Doesn't the XboX have an extremely high failure rate? Perhaps the highest failure rate of an consumer electronics device, ever?
GameSpot.com reports that "... The September issue of the Minnesota-based, GameStop-owned magazine features the results of the survey, which found that a whopping 54.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners surveyed reported having the console fail on them once..." "... Perhaps more damning, 41.2 percent of 360 owners had a second hardware malfunction--meaning that potentially 12.36 million people have had their consoles fail again..."
GameSpot indicated that "... As with the Game Informer study, SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error..."
Microsof't response? New, slimmer design which removed the possibility of "Red Ring of Death" and no longer offering a three year warranty "because this is a new design."
This is exactly the type of company from which I want to purchase consumer electronics.

 

XBox was crap, but they still sold a bazillion units.  Also Microsoft's slave company Nokia has some real hardware chops.  This will likely be a Nokia made tablet. 

 

Microsoft will find some way to f*ck it up no doubt, but it's not a certain failure at the moment IMO.  

 

I'm mostly interested in seeing an actual ARM version of Word (if they have it, I kind of doubt they will).  Even if they don't make an iPad version (and I'm almost certain they won't), at least we will see some "head to head" feature by feature comparisons with Pages for iPad, which sorely needs some competition and some fresh eyes IMO. 

post #36 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I think Dr. Doofenschmirtz is a better example.

 

But, can Doofenschmirtz do the monkey dance??  


Edited by Macky the Macky - 6/15/12 at 12:48pm
post #37 of 147

Talk about massive consumer confusion. What's the "real" Windows tablet? Is it the Atom tablets, because they can run old software? Or is it the tablets that come from MS, but run on ARM? Or something else? 

 

It sounds like MS is going to just launch every possible permutation of tablet and hope that one of them sells. It's the old "see what sticks" strategy. 

post #38 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

So dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers are unable to compete ... and now MS, builder of mice expects to be able to build a device to compete?  This, I want to see.
 

 

More interestingly, what will the dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers think about Microsoft competing with them??

 

I don't see Microsoft being so dumb as to go head to head with the manufacturer base they rely on to promote Microsoft's cash cow on their wintel computers. Furthermore, if MS were anywhere ready to build millions of anything this year, the rumor mills would be buzzing about some of the components. 

post #39 of 147

I forgot all about those Windows 7 launch party videos... Thanks for posting that! Waaaay too funny!

post #40 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

If this tablet compares with ipad 2 for speed and price, and ships with microsoft office.

It might actually be interesting!

Now THAT would be what Ballmer will claim it will do... What they ship will be a wholly lesser product. Remember, MS always ships beta products. Remember the high failure rate of the early Xboxes?? Remember the blue screen of death, or the red ring of death? Remember the Zune and the Kin?

 

Remember, "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that?"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad