or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad

Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by veblen View Post

If I were one of their hardware partners for tablets I would not be happy at all with this news.  First there is the rumored $80 fee per tablet for their RT OS and now a competing tablet.  Not a good partner to have.

Not a rumor. www.extremetech.com wrote:

"...confirmed by multiple vendors at Computex in Taiwan, the Windows RT license cost is only $80-95."

"Compare this to Android (free), iOS (effectively free), Windows Phone 7 ($30), or even Windows 7 (around $50)".

I'm baffled as well as to why a third party would develop a Windows RT (ugh, that name!) device starting with a $80+ disadvantage and given Microsoft's history of screwing "partners"/competitors.

post #42 of 147

If Microsoft are smart, they'll use either Android or Symbian to run their own tablets.

Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #43 of 147

I heard a rumor that Toys-R-Us is making it.

LL

post #44 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bring it on, Microsoft. I have a distinct feeling this will backfire on MS in a huge way. I predict it will lead to Ballmer's ouster.

No! No! I want to see the fat monkey boy ride this rocket all the way down to the ground...!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #45 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

It will come with viruses preloaded, and a BSOD as its default desktop wallpaper, no doubt. But, it will certainly be a wond'rous thing for the Apple haters to behold.

You forgot loaded with crapware and covered in stickers!

Don't forget, boys and girls, the MS Craplet will be delivered right to your home in a plain brown carton. No need to embarrass yourself by slinking alone into a MS store!

post #46 of 147

I'll stick with the original vision, thank you.

MicroApple.jpg

post #47 of 147

so after trumpeting the superiority of a "open" multi-vendor approach, microsoft finally realizes that the only way to ensure things work as they should is to do everything yourself and adopt a "closed" system.

ironies abound 

post #48 of 147
Two years ago, the haters said the Giant iPod Touch would fail. One of my friends even predicted it would become Steve Jobs' Newton. And sixteen years ago, the common wisdom and advice was that software had won, and that Apple should copy Microsoft's strategy of licensing their OS promiscuously and exit the hardware business altogether.

Where are those same know-it all-pundits now, John Dvorak of PC Magazine? Oh right, they're Apple users now.

Are the haters starting to grasp what THINK DIFFERENT really means?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Two years ago, the haters said the Giant iPod Touch would fail. One of my friends even predicted it would become Steve Jobs' Newton. And sixteen years ago, the common wisdom and advice was that software had won, and that Apple should copy Microsoft's strategy of licensing their OS promiscuously and exit the hardware business altogether.
Where are those same know-it all-pundits now, John Dvorak of PC Magazine? Oh right, they're Apple users now.
Are the haters starting to grasp what THINK DIFFERENT really means?

lol...ok

post #50 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

But, can Doofenschmirtz do the monkey dance??  

Perhaps not - but he did have the Monkey-Slave-inator http://phineasandferb.wikia.com/wiki/File:Monkey_Slave-inator.png 

post #51 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Where are those same know-it all-pundits now, John Dvorak of PC Magazine?

Mr. "noone I know wants to use this newfangled 'mouse' thing"? He's still at it:

Quote:

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone

...It's the loyalists who keep promoting this device as if it is going to be anything other than another phone in a crowded market. 

...There is no likelihood that Apple can be successful in a business this competitive.

...What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it's smart it will call the iPhone a "reference design" and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures. It should do that immediately before it's too late. Samsung Electronics Ltd. (US:SSNGY) might be a candidate. Otherwise I'd advise you to cover your eyes. You're not going to like what you'll see."

Okay, so that was 5 years ago. But he's still an idiot, rivalled only by Ballmer. And he's still getting paid for being embarrassingly wrong, over and over again.

Not bad work, if you can get it.

post #52 of 147
Building their own is a great way to make Dell et al feel good about Microsoft as their OS supplier.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #53 of 147

You should add quotes (i.e., "Safe Mode") because booting into Windows is never really safe no matter what you hold down.

post #54 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Mr. "noone I know wants to use this newfangled 'mouse' thing"? He's still at it:

Okay, so that was 5 years ago. But he's still an idiot, rivaled only by Ballmer. And he's still getting paid for being embarrassingly wrong, over and over again.

Not bad work, if you can get it.

This is great news, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I really hope these things take off as there really isn't reason why they shouldn't. I happen to like the Metro interface and if Microsoft embraces more media codecs then Apple does like Divx. Flash, ect. I will defiantly pick one up to use as a media pad. We need more competition not less, with Apples latest iOS 6 release it seems that they are now becoming complacent and if Microsoft is successful we will hopefully finally get a newer, better UI for the now aging iOS to compete. Just wishing here.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #55 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

XBox was crap, but they still sold a bazillion units.  Also Microsoft's slave company Nokia has some real hardware chops.  This will likely be a Nokia made tablet. 

Microsoft will find some way to f*ck it up no doubt, but it's not a certain failure at the moment IMO.  

Nokia as the subcontractor was my guess as well if this has any validity.  BTW, the high failure rate of X-Boxes has been posted several times here, but my sense is the reliability/failure problems have been largely solved for well over a year now. (That's irrespective of whatever else may be said about it - I could care less since I don't game, but I do value accurate info being passed around in these little discussions we have here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm mostly interested in seeing an actual ARM version of Word (if they have it, I kind of doubt they will).  Even if they don't make an iPad version (and I'm almost certain they won't), at least we will see some "head to head" feature by feature comparisons with Pages for iPad, which sorely needs some competition and some fresh eyes IMO. 

They'd previously announced (in a Sinofsky blog post I think) that the "regular" version of Office will be the sole "Windows" app in Win RT tabs - and I haven't any later reports.  So the first part of that does seem doubtful for the near-term.  

However, I'm almost certain they WILL make an iPad version of Word - and Excel and PowerPoint.  They've not only dropped broad hints, they can't afford NOT have their main apps on the emerging market that's eventually going to dwarf PC's - and keeping a lock on the "lingua franca" of word processing and spreadsheet formats is absolutely critical to their future - since they have to know they're going to be a minor OS player in mobile for at least years to come.  They also make excellent money on Office for Mac.  Mac owners have always upgraded their apps more than Win users do - even their MS ones!  And if they do that (or even if they don't), an eventual metro'd Win RT office seems inevitable as well.

Though, even if I'm correct about that, they're much less likely to release Office anytime soon on Android - at least as long as Android's share of the tablet market remains insignificant - especially in the Enterprise and SMB markets.  

Lots of posters here seem locked in the '90's wars, but in reality Apple and MS are relatively speaking best buds compared to MS and Google in recent years.  

Edited by bigpics - 6/15/12 at 2:35pm

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #56 of 147

"Game On!"

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #57 of 147

It will have to, how else will you restart it when it locks up?

It has to have a Crtl, Alt, Delete key sequence.

post #58 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Not a rumor. www.extremetech.com wrote:

"...confirmed by multiple vendors at Computex in Taiwan, the Windows RT license cost is only $80-95."

"Compare this to Android (free), iOS (effectively free), Windows Phone 7 ($30), or even Windows 7 (around $50)".

I'm baffled as well as to why a third party would develop a Windows RT (ugh, that name!) device starting with a $80+ disadvantage and given Microsoft's history of screwing "partners"/competitors.

That's just amazing. Microsoft wants $80 per device - when most of the devices will probably sell for $200-300? What are they smoking?

And, more importantly, if they're getting that much of a license fee, why bother making the hardware?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #59 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBauer View Post

It will have to, how else will you restart it when it locks up?

It has to have a Crtl, Alt, Delete key sequence.

I've seen Windows tablets with dedicated, physical Control+Alt+Delete buttons. You press the button and it's the same as that key combo.

And no one seemed to notice the problem with this being NECESSARY on a shipping device.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #60 of 147

Bomber, introducing a Microshaft-built tablet ?? Now THAT'S funny...

post #61 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Exactly. 

One word: Zune.

One word: KIN

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've seen Windows tablets with dedicated, physical Control+Alt+Delete buttons. You press the button and it's the same as that key combo.
And no one seemed to notice the problem with this being NECESSARY on a shipping device.

I don't know why you say that. All Windows tablets sold since the 1990s had a button for right-click. If they didn't have a problem with that, I doubt they'll raise a fuss about Ctrl-Alt-Fail.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

More interestingly, what will the dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers think about Microsoft competing with them??

I don't see Microsoft being so dumb as to go head to head with the manufacturer base they rely on to promote Microsoft's cash cow on their wintel computers. Furthermore, if MS were anywhere ready to build millions of anything this year, the rumor mills would be buzzing about some of the components. 

What choice does MS have except to compete with the likes of Dell and HP? But also remember that MS and the Wintel crowd were successful by selling to CEOs, not end users. MS's marketing will need to appeal to that group.
post #64 of 147
I love my new iPad but;

Win8 is a beautiful touch OS, download iPad "Track 8" app and you will see

Xbox ismimho. Meat living room box and a companion win8 tablet will sell.

Also microsoft has sold 700+ million win7 license which meant they can easily sell million of companion tablets that work in that environment.

Will it be better an iPad Norway in hell, will it be successful very much so...
post #65 of 147
MS problems stem in part on needing to support windows legacy hardware and software. Windows RT may give them a way out if they built RT from scratch, removed legacy code, built Office from scratch (which I expect they had to do to run on and iPad).

KISS is something Apple has done, much to our consternation at times. Like iMovie and Final Cut, and stripping out hardware (keyboards, DVDs, hard drives, Ethernet connectors, BluRay, user replaceable xxx). KISS, and exquisite design are in Apple's DNA, and is unique to Apple.

Evaluate these new MS products on these criteria. If MS fails to simplify then these new products will fail?
post #66 of 147

Wow, I'm going to fill my Zune up with music and head over to the Microsoft Store now and get inline. :|

post #67 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

...only the control, alt, and delete keys.

Each on a different side of the device so you won't accidentally press them simultaneously.

Also you will need a F# key to access safe boot mode.

post #68 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Even though the tablet might turn out to be a piece of junk, building their own hardware is a smart move by Microsoft. Apple has clearly demonstrated that building the whole widget is the best way to go.

Except that Apple has successfully been building their own computers and their own software for 36 years...

In same that period of time MS has built a total of zero computers (XBox is a speciality device).

If this rumor is true, the only things I can see it doing:

1) Driving the OEMs [back] to Android

2) Drive Sammy to accelerate development of its own proprietary OS

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #69 of 147

Some iPad users are waiting for a ultra-fast iPad that can run power hungry apps like Logic or Photoshop.

MS should've made their tablet with a laptop Intel Quad-core chip and beat Apple to the punch. MS should've never started with a alternate Risc version, they could've offered the complete Windows 8 Desktop experience, with real usb, and memory card slots.

May Balmer never retire!

post #70 of 147

haha you apple zealots have your heads in the sand if you honestly believe MS can't make a good tablet after having 3 iPad versions to study.  Even if it's a feature-by-feature copy with no innovation, it will still be pretty slick.

And like it or not, Windows RT > iOS6.  All it needs is apps.

post #71 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

LL

LOL!  Best post of the year!

post #72 of 147

Yeah that's hilarious.  I remember the same "Fisher Price" type joke being made about Windows XP...  you guys may have heard of it...  it's one of the most popular OS's in the world.

Nobody likes a bunch of Zealots.  You hurt the Apple brand more than you help it.

Quote:

LL

post #73 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

This is great news, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I really hope these things take off as there really isn't reason why they shouldn't. I happen to like the Metro interface and if Microsoft embraces more media codecs then Apple does like Divx. Flash, ect. I will defiantly pick one up to use as a media pad. We need more competition not less, with Apples latest iOS 6 release it seems that they are now becoming complacent and if Microsoft is successful we will hopefully finally get a newer, better UI for the now aging iOS to compete. Just wishing here.

@Relic Are you and Balmer related?   You both have this canny ability to come out on the losing side of every issue.

I know that you are on drugs and just ?muddying the water" for your own entertainment -- but siding yourself with Balmer?

post #74 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Microsoft rumored to have ALREADY made tablets 10 years ago.

You mean these franken-tablets?

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #75 of 147
Quote:

LL

You photoshop skills are very strong young padawan, lol.
post #76 of 147

Not that Microsoft have a chance of success in making tablets ...but i prefer that then they try building planes..a microsoft plane will def crash...balmer is a bit of train wreck as well.

post #77 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

haha you apple zealots have your heads in the sand if you honestly believe MS can't make a good tablet after having 3 iPad versions to study.  Even if it's a feature-by-feature copy with no innovation, it will still be pretty slick.

And like it or not, Windows RT > iOS6.  All it needs is apps.

they have been studying apple os for 20 plus years and what do they have windows...so yeah there manage to make a tablet look difficult to us.

post #78 of 147
They just might have something if they look like this.

post #79 of 147

IPredict that they will be not bad, but that is not anywhere near enough to gain momentum, no matter how much the Windows tech press moans and groans and cheers. 

Remember Nokia? They're headed for bankruptcy, even after that GREAT deal they made with Microsoft.

post #80 of 147

This could be bad for Apple.

When the Microsoft tablet fails totally and the clown Ballmer is finally removed by the Board, they may actually get somebody as CEO who has a clue.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad