or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Teen Computer - Air vs Macbook Pro

Teen Computer - Air vs Macbook Pro

post #1 of 2

So getting a computer for teen - at the moment nothing heavy on the usage in terms of programs/processing speed needs.  But am torn between the two.  Like the air for smaller size and flash drive seems more likely to last 5 years than HD on Pro.  And if I do it how important is getting 8gb memory.  Feel like that is a good safety investment for keeping it 5-6 years.

For the Pro it seems a bit sturdier - I can add memory later and optical drive is nice if not necessary.  Plus bigger hard drive and faster processor always makes me lean to the power side.

Thoughts?

iMac 24" 2.8 ghz

MacBook Pro 13 2.9 ghz

Waiting for Mini Upgrade

iMac 24" 2.8 ghz

MacBook Pro 13 2.9 ghz

Waiting for Mini Upgrade

post #2 of 2

5-6 years, I'd get the Pro. Start with 4GB and upgrade later if/when needed. For a teen, the ability to watch RedBox DVDs and rip/burn music from/to CDs is probably something they'd appreciate. Essentially, the Pro is the safe choice. If they really want the thin-and-light portability of the Air and are fine without the optical drive, then there's no reason not to go with the Air, however. It really is a personal choice. Looking at 5-6 years viability on the Air though, 8GB wouldn't hurt.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Teen Computer - Air vs Macbook Pro