or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Under Tim Cook, Apple cracking down on supply chain management

Under Tim Cook, Apple cracking down on supply chain management - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Historically, that has been true. However, that doesn't mean that it will be true in the future.
Even within developed countries, certain ethnic and religious groups are growing at significant rates even while the population as a whole is stagnant or declining. This will, of course, lead to a change in the ethnic or religious makeup of these countries in the future - as more fundamentalist groups tend to grow while non-fundamentalist groups do not.

Fundamentalists? Really? About the only region that theory could be applied to would be the Islamic nations compared to Western nations.

More highly educated or more affluent populations perhaps grow more slowly or decline which goes back to the earlier post about empowerment of women. In modern cultures women don't want to spend every minute of their lives changing diapers. In third world countries women traditionally are not educated, don't work professionally, are expected to only care for the house and children and they have no birth control. In the US they even get government handouts for each child. In one unnamed Southern California city women have four or five children each with a different father, none of whom contribute any sort of support. All of the nutritional, medical, educational, and health needs are paid for by tax dollars. And they just keep having more babies, but I certainly wouldn't call them fundamentalists.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Fundamentalists? Really? About the only region that theory could be applied to would be the Islamic nations compared to Western nations.

More highly educated or more affluent populations perhaps grow more slowly or decline which goes back to the earlier post about empowerment of women. In modern cultures women don't want to spend every minute of their lives changing diapers. In third world countries women traditionally are not educated, don't work professionally, are expected to only care for the house and children and they have no birth control. In the US they even get government handouts for each child. In one unnamed Southern California city women have four or five children each with a different father, none of whom contribute any sort of support. All of the nutritional, medical, educational, and health needs are paid for by tax dollars. And they just keep having more babies, but I certainly wouldn't call them fundamentalists.

Not true. In addition to Muslim groups, many fundamentalist Christian sects encourage large families (or strongly discourage birth control - which amounts to the same thing). Mormons also tend to have larger families.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #43 of 56
Quote:

Not true. In addition to Muslim groups, many fundamentalist Christian sects encourage large families (or strongly discourage birth control - which amounts to the same thing). Mormons also tend to have larger families.

However Christian sect families are dwindling faster than the large families can counter, that is if you don't include Catholic Hispanic populations in Christian sects.

http://www.mormonwiki.org/Population_and_growth_rate

The US increase of Mormons is slower than population growth. This is significant when one considers that Mormons typically have larger families themselves.

post #44 of 56
Quote:

Historically, that has been true. However, that doesn't mean that it will be true in the future.

Your prediction of the future may or may not come true. However I was looking for validation of the (strident) claim about current and/or past correlations from the poster.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

We bought a brand new iMac a few months ago, and it had a HAND PRINT on the glass! Underneath the plastic that you remove from the glass! We never contacted Apple about it, but it's good to see that Apple is cracking down on huge quality control oversights like this.

Did you buy it from an Apple online / retail store or from a reseller like Best Buy? If it was the latter, I'd put my money on some punk who had a bit too much time in the warehouse. 

post #46 of 56
Quote:

However Christian sect families are dwindling faster than the large families can counter, that is if you don't include Catholic Hispanic populations in Christian sects.

http://www.mormonwiki.org/Population_and_growth_rate

Since we're talking about religious groups that are growing faster than the general population, why in the world would you exclude Catholic Hispanic groups?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #47 of 56
Quote:

Since we're talking about religious groups that are growing faster than the general population, why in the world would you exclude Catholic Hispanic groups?

Because we are not speaking about religious groups in general. My remarks specifically addressed your comments by restricting the statements to your definition of  "Fundamentalists" and "Sects" neither of which is an appropriate category for Catholics or mainstream Protestants.

post #48 of 56

Oh, for ****'s sake...

Spain used to be the industrial powerhouse of the world. They turned these massive profits into an armada and ruled the seas. When the Spanish empire conquered the americas and imported cheap gold, it destroyed their local industry as they traded golf for goods instead of goods for goods. In the end, they defaulted four times in a row and became the poor men of Europe to this day.

The American empire is on the same trend and for largely the same reasons. The main difference is we export dollars printed out of thin air which are taken as good as the real article, but the effect is the same (as will the ultimate result). Until we stop destroying our currency and rates are allowed to rise, the trend will continue.

Tim Cook is not the problem.

post #49 of 56
Quote:

Because we are not speaking about religious groups in general. My remarks specifically addressed your comments by restricting the statements to your definition of  "Fundamentalists" and "Sects" neither of which is an appropriate category for Catholics or mainstream Protestants.

You can argue semantics all you want. My original statement was "This will, of course, lead to a change in the ethnic or religious makeup of these countries in the future - as more fundamentalist groups tend to grow while non-fundamentalist groups do not."

I most certainly do consider the ultra-conservative Catholic groups to fall within that description. But even if you don't, the point is still valid. My point was that demographics are changing. While population growth tends to decline in more developed countries (even becoming negative in some European countries), there are sub-groups within even developed countries that are growing by leaps and bounds and will cause that generalization to fail. It will also change the demographics of the population over time.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

non-news,  it's kind of sad. Tim Cook takes over leading Apple and then...

No New Mac Pro's

Not much news on desktop computers, leading many professionals to backlash and Apple doing damage control.

Um, 

If you read the news last week Tim Cook Facebook posted that New Mac Pros are coming next year, another apple exec. said new   iMacs too, Most likely on the iMacs this fall.  If you read the article below Apple has now confirmed that they are indeed working on a new Mac Pro for release next year.  I don't know about you but my current 8 core Mac Pro will do until then I'm not in a huge rush to go buy one now.  When the new one comes out I'm sure it will have all the bells and whistles, thunderbolt, usb 3, pci 2 and 1600mhz ddr3 memory, error corrected of course, sata 3 and all the other goodies too, with new graphics.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-models-designs-for-imac-mac-pro-in-works-due-in-2013/

There is one of many links to his comments on  a New Mac Pro.  By the Way one of the reasons  there is no new mac pro is because the sandy bridge xeons don't natively support  usb 3.0 or Thunderbolt, the ivy bridge do.  The Ivy bridge xeons are going to be out shortly en-mass, and then it will require a full redesign of the mother board and asics in the mac pro which require time to develop.    You really need to read more.

Edited by Mechanic - 6/18/12 at 4:00pm
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Tim Cook was responsible for Apple shutting down most American manufacturing by Apple. His expertise in offshoring manufacturing is responsible for Foxconn grabbing the lions share of Apple's manufacturing work.   Suicides and a massive amount of job losses at areas prior made in western nations.

Apple's "cracking down" on supply chain management is hardly a novel idea, cut down the amount of ordering to keep inventories under check.  ie order what you think you are really going to make computers, ipads, iphones, etc.

If they had done this sooner, would Apple have included a better camera in the NEW IPAD (ipad 3)???  they used they same camera's as the iphone 4, not even iphone 4S.   yes they used 1 1/2 year old parts.  Which is a major slight to consumers hoping for quality and up to date tech.

I know Tim Cook is a decent guy, but remember his history is really a background in Worldwide Corporate Materials... ie he moved manufacturing to China.  So... its important to know who is really leading Apple at this point.   Simply put.... his priority was making things cheap and keeping them cheap. at all costs, which has included factories in china which are very questionable at best and some believe are modern equivilent of slave camps.

What a steaming pile of bullcrap!!  You dredged up suicides, job losses, slave camps, and old parts into one short screed. 

All of those points except the last have been shown to be overblown or patently false by multiple sources. As for which camera Apple used in the New iPad, neither you nor I know the trade-offs used in making that decision. It could have simply been a supply issue. It certainly was no slight to the iPad buyers who got the leading edge display and CPU/GPU possible anywhere.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Um, 

If you read the news last week Tim Cook Facebook posted that New Mac Pros are coming next year, another apple exec. said new   iMacs too, Most likely on the iMacs this fall.  If you read the article below Apple has now confirmed that they are indeed working on a new Mac Pro for release next year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-models-designs-for-imac-mac-pro-in-works-due-in-2013/

There is one of many links to his comments on  a New Mac Pro.  By the Way one of the reasons  there is no new mac pro is because the sandy bridge xeons don't natively support  usb 3.0 or Thunderbolt, the ivy bridge do.  The Ivy bridge xeons are going to be out shortly en-mass, and then it will require a full redesign of the mother board and asics in the mac pro which require time to develop.    You really need to read more.

You are SO correct! 

I say mitchelljd is a total ass and a Cook hater, especially in this thread. 

post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

We bought a brand new iMac a few months ago, and it had a HAND PRINT on the glass! Underneath the plastic that you remove from the glass! We never contacted Apple about it, but it's good to see that Apple is cracking down on huge quality control oversights like this.
Shhh! Keep it quiet or everyone will want one!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I love to see this emphasis. Apple is locking and loading to build products at a much higher scale.   This is very hard and costly to replicate  

I agree ... AND it is not something that can be set up to run smoothly quickly. The short time element is where I see most of Apple's competitors being unable to change Apple's upward vector much, if at all. This includes even Microsoft's efforts on phones and tablets. It's more then an increase in scale, as you correctly pointed out, it takes time, and lots of it, to build products like Apple does... AND time is not your friend in a fast-paced market. 

post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see no problem with humanity being freed up to perform tasks requisite of a sentient mind rather than the crap that a robot can do.

Perhaps Apple should build a skynet clause into their manufacturing contracts. Beyond that I am disappointed that you did not make such a joke. As soon as I read something about robots, I expected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softeky View Post

In support of Slurpy...

Please consider that a new product takes months (if not years) of planning. Cutting a product takes a short time but if there's no replacement in the pipeline, the decision to cut must be taken well in advance of the actual cut. It is likely that it was SJ's plan to cut both MacBook Pro 17" and Mac Pro. The fact that there is even talk now of a Mac Pro being released some time next year, I'm guessing, indicates that TC is reversing a SJ direction.

TC's first real decision at Apple is likely to (already) have been the reinstatement of a next gen. Mac Pro.

I doubt that. A bump to maintain a current model shouldn't have taken many resources when the line has been on life support R&D this long.

post #56 of 56
Quote:

You can argue semantics all you want. My original statement was "This will, of course, lead to a change in the ethnic or religious makeup of these countries in the future - as more fundamentalist groups tend to grow while non-fundamentalist groups do not."
I most certainly do consider the ultra-conservative Catholic groups to fall within that description. But even if you don't, the point is still valid. My point was that demographics are changing. While population growth tends to decline in more developed countries (even becoming negative in some European countries), there are sub-groups within even developed countries that are growing by leaps and bounds and will cause that generalization to fail. It will also change the demographics of the population over time.

You are the one that is being forced to back pedal because your first argument fell flat.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Under Tim Cook, Apple cracking down on supply chain management