or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet - Page 4

post #121 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

You Apple Fanbois are a joke. Coming up with every half assed negative comment you can think off. Hahahaha

Looks like the Microsoft employees are trolling. Won't help.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #122 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

On-board USB? Awesome.

Micro SD card slot? Looking good.

Smart(er) Cover with keyboard and touchpad? Brilliant.

My macbook air has all that.
post #123 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

This Windows tablet is sleek in design and makes the iPad and MacBook Air obsolete. The keyboard is just innovative. The magnetic connector is way ahead of the iPad.
This could have been an Apple product.

Apple would never make something like this.

Remember, Apple has probably already prototyped something similar, and it was a disaster, so again, Apple would never release something like this.

Perhaps when iOS and OS X mature to the point of almost merging, and the keyboard and mouse/trackpad become obsolete (voice and body language/gestures for input) would Apple make something similar. (By then, this "Surface" would look dated as a beige box with a CRT does now).
post #124 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

... If you fold the cover back so you can walk around with the tablet, you would be constantly pressing the keys on the back..

Actually, it was announced that if you fold it back on itself it's supposed to turn off the keyboard functionality so you don't get random key presses.

Let's criticise it for sure, but only on the basis of accurate information. 

post #125 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssls6 View Post

Why would you turn a tablet into a laptop?  Wow, that dumb in my opinion.

Priceless.

post #126 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Priceless.

It's a slaptop.

Bit like Balmer.

post #127 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayt View Post

Looks great actually.  Not sure why some people here are bashing it.  Does it look similar to an iPad?  Sure.  But it's a very different machine software-wise, and from the looks of it, it'll be much more capable as a laptop replacement with the versatility of a tablet.  That sounds good from where I'm at.

I think there may be a nice response to the Intel version as it will run legacy software and is very portable. On the downside, it will be more like a MBA in that can't work too hard due to the heat restrictions. So, people that want a MBP for performance would not be attracted to this hardware. If I had a choice between a MBA and this, I think I'd still go MBA due to it's "out of the briefcase" simplicity, and it instant start up. 

However the ARM version may be a much harder sell for MS. First, it''s not expected to be priced less, second, the MS ARM version will have very little apps to begin with. 

My take-away is that MS is going to strongly push the need for a keyboard with system 8, Intel version or ARM version. I expect Apple to say, "Why type, when you can talk?" 

My bet is that TALK will win over TYPE.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #128 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Price is going to be critical.

The keyboard is slick, but nothing we can't get on an iPad

I think overall it's a nice package...at $500 tops.

Also, this seems to be the very definition of Tim Cook's explanation of compromise when you try to merge a tablet and "PC". Not a negative, but certainly a fact.

I really would rather see MSFT do a proper mobile ecosystem between phone and tablet, and not worry so much about windows desktop integration.

What IS the pricing? Odd that they did not announce that.

Frankly, positioning one of these as a mini-notebook will really irritate all of the Windows hardware competitors. This is encroaching on their territory. Bad move on MS's part.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #129 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

How the hell does he stand with his feet like that. Lol.

Maybe he has a kickstand.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #130 of 505

BUT HOW DO YOU TYPE IN PORTRAIT MODE ON THIS KEYBOARD???

Sorry for the all caps but I just can't help laughing at this silly product.

(my very first post in AI btw)

post #131 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlcool View Post

BUT HOW DO YOU TYPE IN PORTRAIT MODE ON THIS KEYBOARD???

Sorry for the all caps but I just can't help laughing at this silly product.

(my very first post in AI btw)

Was it shown actually running in portrait mode? Is it even capable of such a thing?

post #132 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by csuess View Post

Yes, it's a tablet!

LL

Oh, I thought it was the waiter with our drinks ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #133 of 505

I like the USB. Seriously, iPad is lame for not having it. Not everything can be done wirelessly, there are tons and tons of devices that only use usb, this opens up things a lot... of course, there being no user accessible file system on the iPad is another matter. Anyhow, competition is good. This thing will live or die on how well the OS works in this form factor. 

post #134 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post Best part is, no syncing, ever.

Funnily enough I know people who have never synched their iOS devices, still works for them just fine.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #135 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Was it shown actually running in portrait mode? Is it even capable of such a thing?

Man that is very obvious..you CAN'T!

Unless you detach it and there's a way to snap it back while the tablet is in portrait. But then it'll be disproportionate.LOL

The very reason why Apple ditch physical keyboard.

post #136 of 505
Hold on kids I know you want to play angry birds but dad has to install this great security app first to prevent spyware and viruses.

Oh crap the browser has just been hijacked again,

Why is this thing so slow. Darn rescan.exe using 99% CPU again,
post #137 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

This Windows tablet is sleek in design and makes the iPad and MacBook Air obsolete. The keyboard is just innovative. The magnetic connector is way ahead of the iPad.
This could have been an Apple product.

WTBF have you been smoking?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #138 of 505

A little too thick. 

surface_031.jpg

But it's got a kickstand. To keep it from falling over. 

Quite a metaphor for the company as a whole. 

post #139 of 505
Net books worked great these things should too right????
post #140 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

LL

This is the "Pro" model with the tactile keyboard. Easily a replacement for my MacBook Air. It has an i5 Processor and runs both metro and desktop apps, so I can use it as both a laptop and tablet. Best part is, no syncing, ever.
How can you say that when you haven't even tested this thing out?
post #141 of 505

What no Home Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate Edition?

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #142 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

MS is truly visionary, no one will ever make a product like this....      NOT

Actually they are. They are the first to create a tablet ish thing do ugly Apple would be embarrassed to claim was ripped off the iPad design

post #143 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

This is the "Pro" model with the tactile keyboard. Easily a replacement for my MacBook Air. It has an i5 Processor and runs both metro and desktop apps, so I can use it as both a laptop and tablet. Best part is, no syncing, ever.

With a two-hour battery life, you better stand close to a wall outlet. Because of heat restrictions, this will be as under-powered as a MBA. Because of the keyboard connection, this will not be as satisfactory as a Laptop, you really need a table to prop up the screen too. I'd recommend the MBA running Parallels... you are not really an iPad person.

post #144 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He's a Microsoft FAN desperate for anything - literally ANYTHING - marketed as an iPad competitor with an MS logo on it. 

THAT is how much it positively sucks to be an MS fan these days. Or these . . . years. 

post #145 of 505
It's foolish to compare typing on the cover with typing on a screen. That's not the game. The question is, will it be as good to type on as the Logitech Ultraslim Keyboard Cover that I'm typing on (or something comparable). My guess is NO.
post #146 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by csuess View Post

The art of engineering.

tablet_4.png

LOL. Is Microsoft trying to convince you they have equal manufacturing and design prowess as a certain rival in Cupertino, who shall remain nameless? "It's got magnesiumly deposited super vapor coating for light-years of durability and tensile limit!" and "The screen is optically bonded to the screen, making the screen one solid piece of optically bonded screen that won't wash off!"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #147 of 505
Quote:

And you have?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #148 of 505

Does it come in brown?

post #149 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Mistake. MS offering too many devices and not coordinated with an OS, And not available now, and not in stores, no price mentioned. Poorly done annoincement.
Might be an interesting product.
Wonder what J Allard is thinking right now...
post #150 of 505
If the intention is to use the soft keyboard, why not just buy a more robust UltraBook?

Wonder how HP, the first to market with the Slate using their partner MS's software, feels about this development?

Yes, impressive technology, but it lacks elegance and it feels crack-handed within the context of MS's OEM partnerships. And why announce now with no ship date or firm pricing? Have they published expected battery time yet?
post #151 of 505

Tim Cook said it best:

Quote:
Quote:
In my view, the tablet and the PC are different. And you can do things with the tablet, if you’re not encumbered by the legacy of the PC. If you view it as different. If you take the view that says this is another PC, all of a sudden you’re pulling along all of the baggage of the PC market…

I love convergence, convergence is great, but products are about tradeoffs. You have to make tough decisions, you have to choose, and the more you look at a tablet as a PC, the more the baggage of the 
post #152 of 505
Quote:

I don't get these events where you show something off with no price or release date. And what about all the Windows tablets/Ultrabooks Intel showed off a couple weeks ago? With this announcement it's like MS is giving a vote of no confidence to all the OEM's.

Worked out pretty well for RIMM and the PlayBook!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 6/18/12 at 6:49pm

post #153 of 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

they forgot to say, the RT use 18 gig for the OS,, and the Pro uses 40 gig

I doubt it: Windows 8 Release Preview, by definition an unoptimized build, requires 16 Gb of disk space.

post #154 of 505

Copying the iPod didn't work out well for MS.  The only thing I really like here is the keyboard/cover, but if you can't get exactly that for the iPad right now, you will be able to soon.  MS obviously has to try to respond to the iPad, and this is a plausible strategy.  I just don't think it's going to work.  Too late, with a product that isn't as good.  It won't attract many consumers, and it will alienate its windows-tablet hardware partners.

post #155 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I wonder if it's possible to install a decent operating system on it...

You know, like OS X, albeit a bit 'hackintoshy' and rather naughty in doing so...

OSX would be horrible on a touch based device.

post #156 of 505

The first person to post "haha! You Apple fanbois are all scared now!" wins a prize. It's inevitable...

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #157 of 505

LOL!

it's not a netbook, it's not an ultraportable, it's not a tablet......it's SURFACE! 

hey Microsoft why don't you just leave Tech industry all together, you are already making ppl more miserable with your horrible operating system.

post #158 of 505

Hey, a "tablet" with a C:\ drive.

Now I know why it has a physical keyboard. Like a laptop. Wth a detachable keyboard.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #159 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like the Microsoft employees are trolling. Won't help.

Funny how all of a sudden there seems to be a lot of pro-Microsoft commentators surprisingly well informed about the features of this device across all the Mac forums right now. Redmond is clearly feeling the heat.

post #160 of 505

Isn't the Apple's SmartCover magnetic hinge patented? Bring on the injunction! =) 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet