or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google to introduce low-priced Android tablet in 'coming weeks'

Google to introduce low-priced Android tablet in 'coming weeks' - Page 2

post #41 of 86

Just what I was looking forward to, another low cost, bottom of the barrel tablet, made for bums and people who can't afford anything. How exciting, what a gigantic leap forward in technology. Yawn....................

post #42 of 86

They have shown they can give away phones in "BOGO" deals. If you give people crap for free, they will still take it.

post #43 of 86

Low cost mean stripped down or subsidized somehow or both. I am figuring it has minimal memory since that is significant cost driver as well as the display, and google would rather you put all your content and such in the cloud, and they will stream ads to you day in and day out kind of like the kindle does.

What everyone has to remember Google makes all their money on ads not selling hardware, what every they do it will be gears towards and ad platform or increase the ability to collect information about you.

post #44 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Copy copy copy…

I think you are right! This Samsung device from 2006 looks just like a iPad.

samsung-ipad-photo-frame.jpeg

post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Heavily discounted sales is the reason why Android succeeds in the phone market.  And why it fails in the tablet market.

I believe you are somewhat mistaken. The reason Android succeeds (so far) in the phone market is that carriers push it like mad, a) because it costs them less, and b) most importantly, because they control the "platform" that they are selling. It's compelling for carriers, and a handful of misguided, self-described geeks, but simply foisted on most of the rest of Android handset buyers.

The only one of those factors that is relevant in the tablet market is the "geeks" who represent minuscule numbers of buyers, and thus failure.

post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The report also said that Google has "accelerated plans" to launch a competitor to Apple's voice-driven personal assistant, Siri, currently found on the iPhone 4S and coming to the third-generation iPad with the launch of iOS 6. Further details on Google's Siri competitor were not given.

I wonder why they would be doing this, according to many fandroids, Siri is just something Android has done for years.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Wait- so what is Motorola? Chopped liver?

Google's patent troll division, FRAND abuse branch.

post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post

In the process they will be canibalizing sales of their hardware partners.  It is everyone for themselves at this point.  If you don't own an OS, you are screwed.  Google has really done a 180 since their "do no evil" days.

A 180 as in Linda Blair in "The Exorcist".

post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Does it make any sense to point out that Google's OS, despite not being "compelling", outsells iOS more than 2:1 in the phone market?

$69.

Our cheapest Android handset, outright with a PAYG SIM.

About as crap as a $200 tablet.

That's Android.

post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I think you are right! This Samsung device from 2006 looks just like a iPad.

samsung-ipad-photo-frame.jpeg

I never noticed the BEIGE PLASTIC TRIM around the edge of an iPad and what does the back of that thing look like?

More thick beige plastic with buttons and a stand.

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I never noticed the BEIGE PLASTIC TRIM around the edge of an iPad and what does the back of that thing look like?

More thick beige plastic with buttons and a stand.

You saying this does not resemble an iPad?

post #52 of 86

For that price it's not gonna be good or worth buying for anyone who is even remotely interested in technology.

Might be ok for your cats to play games on, or 3 year olds or perhaps grandparents but that's all.

post #53 of 86
Quote:

Does it make any sense to point out that Google's OS, despite not being "compelling", outsells iOS more than 2:1 in the phone market?

I am sure you mean that the hardware manufacturers devices "sell" , and COLLECTIVELY, it might be 2:1 . Google dont really make anything from the hardware sales of others.

As to whether Android outsells, that a whole different matter considering it is a 'free' OS. 

Back to the old saying of Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity.

Let them throw as much of it out there as they want, my bet is on the ones making more money with less.

post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

If you want a low cost tablet...  grab a refurbished iPad 2 from Apple.

Seems like the logical move, doesn't it? But you have to remember there are users out there who appear to be pathologically afraid of owing anything made by Apple or just weirdly self-conscious of looking like a "joiner." I suppose someone has to cater to those guys. 

post #55 of 86
Quote:

No, it does not.

An idiot in a hurry would not make a mistake between an iPad and that unless you put it a very long way away in a very dark room where it would also be hard to tell the difference between that and a block of painted black wood. 

post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

True... but a lot of people buy a phone because it's a phone. They don't really care what operating system it has on it.
I know tons of people with Android phones... and most of them have their phones looking exactly like the day they bought it.
They call, text and Facebook. That's it. They're not customizing the interface and installing ROMs.
So what does it mean when Android is outselling iOS? Is Android somehow "better" because it outsells the iPhone?

I don't think that market share always corresponds with "better".  Lots  of times, the "better" choice loses out for whatever reason.  Generally, the two are correlated, but far from always.

post #57 of 86
Quote:

This is a gadget-lover's dream!

Sorry to disappoint you, but most people here couldn't care less.

post #58 of 86
Quote:

You don't have any actually sales numbers to back this up. In any event, most of those sales are probably in China and India.

And, Google makes next-to-nothing on Android. Pathetic.

post #59 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

This is why I think Apple will introduce a smaller iPad that costs less. You aren't going to buy a Kindle Fire or whatever Google comes up with if you could spend $50 to $100 more and get an iPad.

But Apple has always been resistant to this kind of change.  Otherwise, why haven't they released a bigger screen iPhone?  And what about Steve's comments about sandpaper for fingers?

Apple's inflexibility has its ups and downs.  I don't think Apple wants to play in the shallow end of they pool.  I think it's possible that Apple's response will merely be another $50 off the last generation iPad.  

post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Apple's inflexibility has its ups and downs.  I don't think Apple wants to play in the shallow end of they pool.  I think it's possible that Apple's response will merely be another $50 off the last generation iPad.  

iPad 4: $499
iPad 3: $399
iPad 2: $299

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #61 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Seems like the logical move, doesn't it? But you have to remember there are users out there who appear to be pathologically afraid of owing anything made by Apple or just weirdly self-conscious of looking like a "joiner." I suppose someone has to cater to those guys. 

Or maybe there are users who don't want a 10 inch tablet?

Ever occur to you that some people might just want something smaller and more portable?

It's not always about the price.

post #62 of 86
Quote:

So by Christmas we will have three good regular tablets
Yes.
The iPad 2, the iPad (3) and the iPad mini.
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPad 4: $499
iPad 3: $399
iPad 2: $299

1) Doesn't address the size issue.  

2) Would Apple do this when they are already cutting back on support for the iPad 2?

3) Would Apple do this if the margins on the iPad 2 are terrible?  And those resources could go towards selling iPad 3s and iPad 4s?

The only way to play in this market is to make a smaller form factor in my opinion.  I think that's as important to the customer as the price.  If Apple were to do what you propose, I fear it might cannibalize its own sales more than hurting others. 

post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

1) Doesn't address the size issue.

You didn't mention one.
Quote:
2) Would Apple do this when they are already cutting back on support for the iPad 2?

They did it when they're cutting back support on the iPhone 3GS.
Quote:
3) Would Apple do this if the margins on the iPad 2 are terrible?  And those resources could go towards selling iPad 3s and iPad 4s?

Why would the margins be terrible? When it was brand new, iFixit found that the parts inside it cost less total than my hypothesized price for the device two years out. Yes, R&D, assembly line creation, machining software written, advertising, etc. aren't included, but they no longer need to be as the two more recent models will be picking up that slack.
Quote:
The only way to play in this market is to make a smaller form factor in my opinion.

Opinion noted, but it's wrong, as evidenced by how horrendously poorly all other tablets are selling. Including the smaller ones.

post #65 of 86
Quote:

Apart from being rectangles, I don't see any similarity.
post #66 of 86
Quote:

So by Christmas we will have three good regular tablets (the iPad, the Surface, and the new GooglePad) and one "Pro" tablet (the Surface).

This is a gadget-lover's dream!

I think we need to see these other tablets before we label them as "good".

post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

This is why I think Apple will introduce a smaller iPad that costs less. You aren't going to buy a Kindle Fire or whatever Google comes up with if you could spend $50 to $100 more and get an iPad.

Folks are buying the current iPad hand over fist. Why make a liar out of a former CEO who said that a smaller unit was a bad move and make it when your current one is selling like mad. So much so that folks like Amazon are rumored to be making a bigger model to compete with yours. 

post #68 of 86
Quote:

Catch is that that isn't really Google's OS. it's the combined sells of Google's OS which has been modified by every one of those OEM companies. 

What are the sales figures for pure Google Android. And the true sales not the units given away for free in BOGO deals etc. 

post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

No, it does not.

An idiot in a hurry would not make a mistake between an iPad and that unless you put it a very long way away in a very dark room where it would also be hard to tell the difference between that and a block of painted black wood. 

Actually I think its the idiot who would say it doesn't resemble the iPad...

post #70 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apart from being rectangles, I don't see any similarity.

Just like the Galaxy Tab doesn't look like a iPad then :-) You can't have it both ways.

post #71 of 86
Quote:

As an iPad is a three dimensional object, that photograph depicting a two dimensional view, does not resemble an iPad.
post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As an iPad is a three dimensional object, that photograph depicting a two dimensional view, does not resemble an iPad.

lol only in your fantasy world but ok. Like I said before, you can't have it both ways.

post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Show me a single model of Android phone that sells anywhere close to single model of iPhone

Samsung Galaxy S series.

... at night.

... at night.

post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No. But the point here is that the OS maker is making the hardware, so the two can be developed together and thus hopefully better.

It all seems to be taking that 1980s approach to computer manufacturing where everything becomes proprietary and locked down, but more finely tuned.

The Commodore AMIGA is probably the best example of this; 4096 colours on screen, 32-bit multitasking operating system, stereo PCM audio and blazing 3D performance all for around £1500 in 1985 - I don't think the clone makers caught up until around 1992 and Apple's closest equivalent at the time was the Mac II in 1987, and that cost double the Original A1000 and Quadrupole the A500.

But the AMIGA is also the best example of what can go terribly wrong if a company slips. The third generation graphics architecture for the AMIGA (AGA) wasn't as powerful as it should have been so the AMIGA lost its footing in the graphics market where it dominated and died very quickly.

Long story short:

OS Maker also doing the hardware is the best thing that can happen as well as the absolute worst.

... at night.

... at night.

post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

It all seems to be taking that 1980s approach to computer manufacturing where everything becomes proprietary and locked down, but more finely tuned.
The Commodore AMIGA is probably the best example of this; 4096 colours on screen, 32-bit multitasking operating system, stereo PCM audio and blazing 3D performance all for around £1500 in 1985 - I don't think the clone makers caught up until around 1992 and Apple's closest equivalent at the time was the Mac II in 1987, and that cost double the Original A1000 and Quadrupole the A500.

But the AMIGA is also the best example of what can go terribly wrong if a company slips. The third generation graphics architecture for the AMIGA (AGA) wasn't as powerful as it should have been so the AMIGA lost its footing in the graphics market where it dominated and died very quickly.

Long story short:
OS Maker also doing the hardware is the best thing that can happen as well as the absolute worst.

There was a story going around at the time the Amiga was dying. Supposedly, Steve and a couple of the boys went to look at the technology to see if Apple was interested in buying it. After evaluating the system, Bill Atkinson said "we can do that all with software".
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #76 of 86
Quote:

Microsoft Surface Pro.  I thought that much was obvious.

Funny how you didn't address the remaining points in his post. I saw what you did there.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #77 of 86
Quote:

It's flat and black, other than that: the bezel is about a foot wide, it's got that distracting logo at the bottom, and for all we know it's six inches deep.

So no, it doesn't look like an iPad.
post #78 of 86
Quote:

Then you haven't actually seen that picture frame and the back.  Have you (statement not question grammar police.)

If you are anywhere within 6 feet and in even a dimly lit room it is obvious they aren't the same.  The machinations that are necessary to try to make your point require Photoshop to remove the stand and the big-ass back sticking out.  Or at least a very favorable static photo angle.

post #79 of 86
Quote:

Microsoft Surface Pro.  I thought that much was obvious.

Are we redefining the 11" MacBook Air to be a Pro Tablet too now?  Because that is the approximate size, weight and processor of the Surface Pro.  Pricing, battery life and software will be critical, but the Surface Pro is not a tablet, it is an ultrabook in the PC space, or MBA in the Apple space.  Calling a tablet with an x86 processor and netbook/ultrabook dimensions is just a really big marketing ploy.

post #80 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

It's flat and black, other than that: the bezel is about a foot wide, it's got that distracting logo at the bottom, and for all we know it's six inches deep.
So no, it doesn't look like an iPad.

This http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/10.1/index.html has the same logo and you can't tell how deep it is from this picture yet Apple still sued them.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google to introduce low-priced Android tablet in 'coming weeks'