or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2012 Mac Mini Wish List?

2012 Mac Mini Wish List? - Page 8

post #281 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Eh. At any rate, I'm also hoping for "sooner rather than later" on that. I'm mystified myself as to why they haven't already if there wasn't going to be some big upheaval.
I'm really thinking upheaval my self. By this I mean a totally redesigned iMac a nd a redesigned Mini. The only other theory I have is that Intel has vendors on allocation still with Ivy Bridge. The allocation theory is less likely as time moves on, especially with the projected drop in hardware sales for Intel.
Quote:
Oh! I've found the same to be true on mine (same series), so I guess I'm just flat out wrong about GPGPU benefits. I've not paid much attention to that field recently.
The old laptop of mine is in rough shape with a damaged screen, I've been resisting going out and buying a machine this year, more from stubbornness and thrift than anything. At this moment in time though I won't buy a machine with out a discrete GPU for my primary machine. I just think it makes for hardware that ages too fast.

As too GPGPU, in the past I could find files that linked to the OpenCL lib which kinda indicated that Apple did use the GPU for GPU compute of some sort. A quick look the other day turned up nothing so in that regard I could be wrong or simply didn't look at the right file. However in developer circles there has been lots of talk about Apples expanded use of the GPU, that could be traditional use though.
Quote:
As to the iMac, it seems to me that they'll only be using more special parts than ever before. Dropping the ODD would hopefully give us the option of two HDDs+SSD or three SSDs, but I'm not getting my hopes up. And don't be surprised at all if they try to get away with soldered RAM on the new one. 
I'm not bothered by soldered RAM if they provide expansion slots for those that need such. As to a SSD I do wish there was a standard PCI Express slot that everybody could start making use of. There are already to many card standards for SSD, none of which are impressive.

Gotta go!
post #282 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm 
AMD's top cards are consistently rated around 190W~ tdp, although their peak loads can be significantly higher without doing anything weird.

Rubbish:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-review/6
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-review/7

AMD's fastest card:

"The R7970 has a maximum power consumption of roughly 210 Watts, our measurements actually show numbers below that value. The boards overall power consumption from idle to load is excellent really.

System in IDLE = 166W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 567W
Difference (GPU load) = 401W
Add average IDLE wattage ~6W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 407 Watts = 204W per GPU."

There are about 30 GPUs tested there running at maximum load, none of which exceed their TDP ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm 
Either you're not visually observant or you haven't seen many imacs with considerable hours on them? You are using a mini, so it can't be your computer.

I only use a Mini at home, I use all sorts of Macs (including iMacs) under long periods of stressful tasks and I've never seen them fail or become defective. I even used to burn iBooks/Powerbooks for hours overnight and they served well for years. I know you want to believe that small form factors are not capable of stressful computing but it's just not true. Where exactly have you seen these defective iMacs you talk about? You said you used a Linux box so are these stories you've heard/read?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm 
The performance race on cpus could have been over a decade ago. Things move to smaller form factors.

No it couldn't have. 10 years ago the fastest desktops had dual 1.25GHz G4s. No matter how big a box you make, that wasn't fast enough. Only the Core-i series has been fast enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 
As too GPGPU, in the past I could find files that linked to the OpenCL lib which kinda indicated that Apple did use the GPU for GPU compute of some sort. A quick look the other day turned up nothing so in that regard I could be wrong or simply didn't look at the right file.

FCPX has GPU-accelerated export:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3337557?start=0&tstart=0

It also shares the render engine with Motion.
post #283 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

And on top of the next iMac Mini should be an iPhone dock charger/ Syncer so users can place their iPhones to charge without the need of cables and an aluminum lid covers it while it isn't in use.

I had a similar idea for a mid range desktop Mac. One or two docks on top for charging iPods and iPhones. My family is constantly charging their phones all over the house and leaving the charger plugged in. And of course they can't remember where they last used it so they can't find it. I also thought it would be nice to have built in speakers that could be used by the docked devices even if the computer isn't turned on.

post #284 of 391
That is what the USB optical drive is for
post #285 of 391
Apple could keep the current mini design for the next several years and I would be happy. I doubt they are going that direction though who knows.
post #286 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Apple could keep the current mini design for the next several years and I would be happy. I doubt they are going that direction though who knows.

It isn't a bad design at all but it doesn't provide the sort of performance I really want out of a desktop PC. I just wish they had a mid level performance machine that isn't an iMac.
post #287 of 391
Yeah it's basically a laptop in a box.
post #288 of 391
Quote:

Yeah it's basically a laptop in a box.

Which makes the Mini great for lots of things. It is a little box that can be embedded anywhere without huge thermal issues. The problem of course is that those laptop parts means that performance per dollar currently sucks. More importantly ultimate performance is generally lagging what could be had in a desktop box that was simply bigger.
post #289 of 391
And while the rMBP is great and all, I don't like the whole lottery thing that is still going on with Apple with regards to the screens (LG vs. Samsung) and SSDs (Toshiba vs. Samsung).
post #290 of 391
Quote:

And while the rMBP is great and all, I don't like the whole lottery thing that is still going on with Apple with regards to the screens (LG vs. Samsung) and SSDs (Toshiba vs. Samsung).

Yes the lottery thing does suck. However when you get to the volumes Apples has single suppliers become a big no no. Second sources are very important in the electronics industry to prevent all eggs in one basket problem. Even an industry concentration in one geographic area can be a problem as we recently seen with hard drives. With semiconductor manufacturing and like wise LCDs, it really doesn't take much to interrupt a plants production.

At least now with SSDs there isn't such a huge performance gap between the two suppliers. In past AIR models the performance difference was noticeable by users, I don't think that is a "real" problem anymore. It should be noted that this was and is a problem with hard drives too.

Frankly I'm hoping I wake up Tuesday to a silent update to the Mini and iMac that take SSDs seriously. Using the same old blade type module in the Mini, to leave room for hard drives would be very compelling. Here I mean the retina's blade SSD design. Wishful thinking I know!!!!!
post #291 of 391
Understandable on the "all your eggs in one basket" deal though perhaps they need to do a bit of better quality control on LG perhaps given the price of the rMBP. I definitely agree with the blade SSD thing deal.
post #292 of 391
Quote:

Understandable on the "all your eggs in one basket" deal though perhaps they need to do a bit of better quality control on LG perhaps given the price of the rMBP. I definitely agree with the blade SSD thing deal.

LG has never been the greatest. It's just that they are the largest IPS panel manufacturer by a very wide margin now. I think Panasonic makes some for televisions as well. Hitachi actually pioneered it. They did an amazing job, but they no longer produce them. Arguably some of the best lcd displays ever made used Hitachi and Mitsubishi panels.

post #293 of 391
Mitsubishi is a brand I feel I can trust due to their cars.
post #294 of 391
Quote:

Mitsubishi is a brand I feel I can trust due to their cars.

They've had a lot of involvement in electronics. NEC-Mitsubishi diamondtrons were excellent, of course that was quite a few years ago. CRTs actually held on longer in markets where display quality was a factor. Part of this was that a top quality lcd a few years ago was extremely expensive. While they've come down in price, the build quality has also declined, and most displays in the sub $5k realm are using LG panels.

post #295 of 391
Well we got some really nice iOS device updates but still no news on the Mini, not even a bad rumor. Sad really because the Mini just cries out for an Ivy Bridge update. Maybe instead of a wish list we just need to wish for Apple to get off the pot and ship something.
post #296 of 391
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
Well we got some really nice iOS device updates but still no news on the Mini, not even a bad rumor.

There were never going to be Mac updates at the iPhone event… 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #297 of 391
Quote:

Well we got some really nice iOS device updates but still no news on the Mini, not even a bad rumor. Sad really because the Mini just cries out for an Ivy Bridge update. Maybe instead of a wish list we just need to wish for Apple to get off the pot and ship something.

Given how accurate the iPhone 5 leaks were, the iPad Mini could be the real deal:

http://allthingsd.com/20120825/confirmed-new-ipad-mini-will-debut-in-october-after-latest-iphones-september-bow/

It's unfortunate that they might hold back computer updates for such a launch event. A 13" rMBP would be nice to see too but each product should stand on its own. The Mini could have been updated ages ago.
post #298 of 391
Quote:

There were never going to be Mac updates at the iPhone event… 

How dare you say something that! Why can't I put you on ignore? Blah blah blah, etc.

Truth is, you're right though that didn't stop me and a few others for having a small glimmer of hope.
post #299 of 391
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Given how accurate the iPhone 5 leaks were, the iPad Mini could be the real deal:

With the way they botched the 6th iPhone, I'm feeling that could certainly be the case.

But with the way they PRICED the 5th iPod touch, I'm less sure. 

So no change, really. lol.gif

post #300 of 391
I suppose I will be getting another Mac Mini sometime next year if it isn't released this year though it will be under Ivy Bridge and not Haswell if the recent IDF conference is any indication. Apparently Haswell is not due out until 2013 and a specific timeline is not set. Originally it was thought it was going to be around Q2 but from how things are it could be even later than that. Couple the fact that the Mini is not high on the priority list, there may not be a Haswell mini until 2014.

I hope I'm wrong though because Haswell looks good.
post #301 of 391
Haswell looks very good but an Ivy Bridge based Mini would be nothing to sneeze at. In fact I would see it as a major update, just the addition of USB make for a dramatically better Mini.
Quote:

I suppose I will be getting another Mac Mini sometime next year if it isn't released this year though it will be under Ivy Bridge and not Haswell if the recent IDF conference is any indication. Apparently Haswell is not due out until 2013 and a specific timeline is not set. Originally it was thought it was going to be around Q2 but from how things are it could be even later than that. Couple the fact that the Mini is not high on the priority list, there may not be a Haswell mini until 2014.
I hope I'm wrong though because Haswell looks good.

I'm still concerned that the Mini is effectively dead. The total lack of leaks or rumors just has a negative feel to it. I'd like to believe a better machine is coming but even that is a very long shot.
post #302 of 391
I hope you are wrong though if you are indeed right, I'm not sure what I'll do. I prefer keeping my monitor and computer separately. I don't want a laptop or an AIO and I don't really want to go back to Windows.
post #303 of 391
Quote:

I hope you are wrong though if you are indeed right, I'm not sure what I'll do. I prefer keeping my monitor and computer separately. I don't want a laptop or an AIO and I don't really want to go back to Windows.

One of the big factors for me, when I bought the MBP in 2008' was the lack of a compelling desktop choice. Basically I was pretty much disgusted by everything Apple had to offer t the time. Since then they have improved both the iMac and the Mini, but still treat the Mini as a poor step child. Frankly I think they turn a lot of people off with the Mini pricing and performance structure. The base machine isn't a bad deal but the uprated models are pure evil ripoffs as there is a steep price increase for very little in return.

I'm actually convinced that Apple could do much better than the Mini for a desktop product. They certainly have the engineering skills to do so, but seem to be unwilling to apply those skills to a new desktop platform. Right now people seem to go the Mini route due to a lack of options, this is not a good way to treat your customers.
post #304 of 391
My only choice is to just keep waiting then. Hell, my Raiders are already 0-2 thus I'm prepared a long autumn and winter.
post #305 of 391

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Vantage.html

Astonishing value.

These guys are making desktop money.  These guys are in business.  These guys know how to give desktop buyers what they want.  If I could run Mountain Lion on that?  That would be my next machine.  You can even get a 27 inch option for little more.  Seeing as Apple appears to have all but abandoned desktop buyers.

Make some really cool PC Builds.

You have a machine for half the price of a Mac 'pro' that will blow it out the water.  You don't need to pay 2k for a beginners video editing machine when any iMac or 'cheap' pc can do it.  (The 'pro' is a shadow of it's former glory and the obscene pricing and put it out of reach of mere mortals for almost a decade now.  That last 'update' and the marketing LIE apple tried to pull about it being 'new' was an absolute disgrace.  More than a bit of hubris there, I think.)

Wizard's desktop frustration is palpable.  I waited 10 years for my 'dream Mac' and threw in the towel.  And bought the top end iMac (a sale model from the previous year.  It's been a sexy and faithful companion. :P  A great machine.)

(Servicing.)  But when the hard drive failed?  You needed a special set of screw drivers to get at some of the internals.  Some short hexagonal shallow torque key screws that will thread easy made from soft alu.  Seriously, I'm not giving a mac retailer 200 to service a failed hard drive because iMacs are designed to vent cool air properly and fry the hard drive.  I'm not giving a mac retailer another £100+ for a hard drive that is small and Pc World would charge pea nuts for or wouldn't stock because it's out of date.  That's the kind of crap Apple are pulling and nickle and diming people for.  Same with the ram.  Obscene prices.  Same with the premiums on HDs and SSDs.  And paying more for a middle of the road gpu as 'high end' option that is only inc' on high end iMacs.  It's that hole upsell crap.  What happened to iMacs that you could take the back off and upgrade?

It's true.  the more people have, the more they want.  Looks at the hole 'sealed unit' approach to nickle and dime.  That's ok on pads and phones.  But iMacs and 'pros' which have both been historically 50% cheaper, yes, half price cheaper.

I love mac os x.  I love my imac.  

But I can see why the 'pro' users were screaming blue murder.  I'm surprised they didn't keep up their campaign to make Apple blush over a pathetic 'update.'  The iMac is wayyyy out of date now.  And the mini is a joke.

The price for a crap discrete gpu option is evil.  Pure and simple.  Just pay the extra hundred or so and get a 'proper' PC above with genuine value for money and performance the mini can't hope to match in its dreams.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #306 of 391
Quote:

I'm hoping it gets replaced by a new concept. Further I hope Apple gets over their idiotic need to castrate the machine.

Even with Ivy Bridge I think that will be difficult in the same housing. Especially in the model with the descrete GPU!
I wish!
Again it would be nice to have at least one slot for an SSD. However smaller is the wrong direction to go for this platform.
Here is what I'd like to see:
  1. A slightly larger case to offer up more room for a powersupply bulk up. This would allow for some of the features that are needed below.
  2. We still need a model with a descrete GPU, however if Apple screws us again I can't see a rush in sales. So the descrete GPU needs to be an upper midrange model with at least 512 MB of VRAM and preferably 1GB. The midrange GPU and RAM is in part the reason for a bigger box/power supply.
  3. I agree quad cores should be a priority but I'm not sure Intel has one suitable for the machine. I'd actually like to see AMDs Trinity processor in the Mini as the GPU would be a huge win for the Mini. In any event I want to see laptop processors in the machine but I do wish that they could support high wattage units. The Mini should be close to equal to Apples laptop lines performance wise.
  4. at least two TB ports.
  5. USB 3 obviously.
  6. SSD over PCI Express. Hopefully Apple defines a card format that wors on the Mini, iMac and the coming Mac Pro replacement. Apples new laptops are demonstrating rather impressive SSD performance right now, it is obvious that SATA will soon need to be replaced.
  7. Bulk storage is still a real need so two bays for magnetic drives are required.
  8. An expansion slot.
  9. Hardware theft protection, so that the machine can always be found on the Internet.
  10. Plenty of RAM capacity. Ideally expansion to 32 GB. Further ship the damn machine with at least 4GB of RAM IN THE BASE MACHINE. Apple has spent far to many years selling this thing without enough RAM. Use desktop RAM modules.
Note that this is only slightly more than the current machine, with a strong emphasis on the currently poor GPU implementation. The expansion slot could be a completely different format for all I care, the goal is a port to allow customization of the machine.
Of all Apples desktops I see the Mini as the best of their desktops right now. Unfortunately that isn't saying much as the machine is chronically underpowered even when paying extra for an upper tier model. Without much effort Apple could turn the machine into a far more desirable computer.

Yes indeed!

Smaller is NOT better in this instance. A great deal more functionality can be put into a package that is not that much larger and still has a small footprint on the desktop.

post #307 of 391
Suppose they skip an Ivy Bridge update and wait until Haswell.
post #308 of 391
Suppose they skip an Ivy Bridge update and wait until Haswell.

Suppose they want to keep selling any… Haswell doesn't even have a LAUNCH date. Having THIS iMac and THIS Mac Mini during a holiday season is certainly a good idea if their master plan is to be able to go, "look, no one is buying our computers anymore; let's just not make computers at all."

post #309 of 391
Quote:

Suppose they want to keep selling any… Haswell doesn't even have a LAUNCH date. Having THIS iMac and THIS Mac Mini during a holiday season is certainly a good idea if their master plan is to be able to go, "look, no one is buying our computers anymore; let's just not make computers at all."

I agree and I want one but I'm wondering if that is the plan.
post #310 of 391

I don't know what the plan is but the current desktop line up is a joke and can't be suggested for most users.    That is people like me that buy and hold hardware for long periods of time.    The problem is pretty clear outdated technology, especially the lack of USB 3.   The Ivy Bridge GPU upgrade is nothing to sneeze at either.   

I really don't believe that Apple wants to get out of the desktop market but they have really gone stupid with their treatment of the line up and the customers that buy the hardware.    To put it simply there is no reason for the pathetic Mac Pro update even if a new architecture is coming next year.   There is no reason not to have an Ivy Bridge based Mini out by now or a replacement for that unit.   I really don't give a damn about the IMac but even that machine should be revved by now.   In a nut shell Apple has lost its way on the desktop.   Most of the machines it sells as desktop machines barely meet the needs of the average user anymore.   They need a major reboot here.

Quote:

I agree and I want one but I'm wondering if that is the plan.
post #311 of 391
Quote:

There is no reason not to have an Ivy Bridge based Mini out by now or a replacement for that unit.   I really don't give a damn about the IMac but even that machine should be revved by now.   In a nut shell Apple has lost its way on the desktop.   Most of the machines it sells as desktop machines barely meet the needs of the average user anymore.   They need a major reboot here.

Geez, I want a new computer too but get a little perspective.  The update is imminent and the current models are from mid-2011. Heck they skipped all of 2008 for the mini. 

I dunno what universe you're living in but the minis and imacs are well able to handle the needs of the average user.  Hint:  That's not you.

post #312 of 391
Quote:

I agree about the "keep selling" bit, but Haswell is expected to launch in March '13 and Intel Execs have made public statements that things are progressing ahead of schedule toward that release. As you will recall, Ivy Bridge was a process change (along with the tri-gate tech) and it is this, now well implemented, process that will be employed for the (new architecture) Haswell release.

The sad part is that Apple fiddled so long to release their Ivy Bridge products after the delayed release.

If Apple's long term plan is to get out of the computer business and focus on the so-called "toys" which have been very, very good to the company's bottom line the continual delay in the release of computers using up-to-date hardware is a good first step. If that is the long term plan, I believe the shareholders' interests would be best served by spinning off the computer division and allowing it to decide what products, and the timing of their release, are relevant to the market...and that would be the perfect time to license the OS. I can not recall the number of "industry insiders" who have commented that OS X would rapidly supplant Windows as the OS of choice if it were to be licensed. It certainly appears that the Mac Pro is swirling down the drain toward oblivion.

That said, the shareholders have had a very good ride. From around $12 a share to $700 (after a share spilt) makes many of them leery of any change in direction, but Apple's greatest successes, the iPhone and iPad, have been (very pleasant) surprises to Apple management.

Cheers

post #313 of 391
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
…Haswell is expected to launch in March '13…

The high-end, enthusiast Haswell. Not anything suitable for a Mac Mini (laptop chips).

post #314 of 391
Quote:

The high-end, enthusiast Haswell. Not anything suitable for a Mac Mini (laptop chips).

Well, yea, but you made it sound as if Haswell were merely vaporware.

I doubt either of us believes that Apple will wait for Haswell for a new Mini (or iMac) release because, if nothing else, it does not fit their time line for product releases. Haswell releases of the lower CPUs should follow soon after if the Intel Exec's comments about things being ahead of schedule prove anywhere near correct when the time comes. Laptop chips are a priority at Intel these days as they are the big sellers. I would be surprised if they did not follow the initial release very quickly, but that is merely speculation at this point, even if it does make sense from a market perspective. (The Yogi might have said "It ain't ready 'til it's ready," so we'll see.)

I would expect the Ivy Bridge Mini update to follow the existing form factor as there really is not a great deal involved other than fitting the new CPU in there. If there is to be a change in the Mini's form factor, I would expect it to come with the Haswell update. There are any number of possibilities of a small form factor that still has a minimal desktop footprint, but have more space for making a better machine. The sketch earlier in this thread would not be a bad way to go.

Cheers

post #315 of 391
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Well, yea, but you made it sound as if Haswell were merely vaporware.

Well, no; just that we're not close to being able to pin down product launches yet.

It's like how we know Skymont will exist, but "2016" really isn't good for setting dinner plans.

post #316 of 391
Quote:

Well, no; just that we're not close to being able to pin down product launches yet.

It's like how we know Skymont will exist, but "2016" really isn't good for setting dinner plans.

Oh, come on! You are comparing something that is at least three years away and contingent upon several, as yet, unproven technologies with something that is six months off according to leaked Intel documents and public confirmation from company executives that things are proceeding well. That is not a reasonable comparison.

Even if the first versions of Haswell are released in March, the release will not fit well with Apple's historic product release cycle. I don't expect to see anything Haswell from Apple until late Q2, more likely Q3 '13. 

If you read my comments elsewhere in this thread you will see that I have concluded we will see these things when we see them, whenever that might be. Everything else is merely speculation, but then again this is the future hardware (speculation) forum is it not?

Let's check back next March or April and see how things have progressed.

Cheers

post #317 of 391

Suppose Apple just puts their 'back' into their desktop line.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #318 of 391
Which would mean...?
post #319 of 391
Which would mean...?

I think he means it as "put your back into it", as in "pushes hard to get something really extraordinary".

Not what I expect from them, but you know, a valid perspective.

post #320 of 391
When this finally does come out, when can we start the 2013 Mac Mini Wish List? lol.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 2012 Mac Mini Wish List?