or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iMac on or before Mountain Lion release?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iMac on or before Mountain Lion release?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I am currently looking to purchase a 27" iMac.  However, with all of the chatter regarding a near term iMacs I have currently reached an obstacle in my decision process.  

 

Is there any information regarding increased production at facilities that supply for the iMac?  I saw an article regarding G-Tech amping up production from 1.Xmillion units to over 3million units.. (glass something or another) 

 

There is also quite a bit of speculation that the new Ivy processor could be in a new revamped iMac.  Also some benchmark tests boasting an "iMac13,2" test. 

 

I feel if an iMac release is imminent we could see the following. 

 

1) USB 3.0

2) removal of Superdrive. 

3) Retina display

4) Ivy processor

5) larger SSD option

6) upgraded Bluetooth

7) upgraded graphics card

 

If we do not see the iMac soon then this could lead to the train of thought of an entire case change, as pointed out to me by another member on another thread.( #2 would more than likely fall into this train of thought) 

post #2 of 6
That was probably me.

I still say wait until Mountain Lion if you don't need it absolutely right now. If nothing by Mountain Lion, I think a new case could be in our future, but then we might also be waiting until 2013…
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 

Yes sir/maam that would be you.  I don't like passing off others ideas as my own so thats why I put that.  

 

I also currently have a 17" MBP(mid2010) I was going to get the iMac and get rid of my MBP and switch to an AIR for my mobile needs due to weight restrictions on the helicopters, but now with the talk of discontinued 17"MBP I might just hold on to it. 

 

Thank you again for your insight. 

post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucsstamticc View Post

I am currently looking to purchase a 27" iMac.  However, with all of the chatter regarding a near term iMacs I have currently reached an obstacle in my decision process.  
This is simple: don't buy unless you absolutely need it.
Quote:
Is there any information regarding increased production at facilities that supply for the iMac?  I saw an article regarding G-Tech amping up production from 1.Xmillion units to over 3million units.. (glass something or another) 

There is also quite a bit of speculation that the new Ivy processor could be in a new revamped iMac.  Also some benchmark tests boasting an "iMac13,2" test. 
If a new Mac rev came out and it didn't have an Ivy Bridge in it, or something equal, I'd start looking for something different.
Quote:

I feel if an iMac release is imminent we could see the following. 

1) USB 3.0
2) removal of Superdrive. 
3) Retina display
This is a tough one. It would be notice of course but you need to think that they have ramped up to 27" screens already. This is not a given.
Quote:
4) Ivy processor
That is Ivy Bridge
Quote:
5) larger SSD option
6) upgraded Bluetooth
7) upgraded graphics card

If we do not see the iMac soon then this could lead to the train of thought of an entire case change, as pointed out to me by another member on another thread.( #2 would more than likely fall into this train of thought) 

Well if you are like me you won't buy an iMac unless it is revved to an extent to significantly Improve the chassis, especially with respect to user access. In many ways the current iMac is the worst design Apple has on the market right now, so I look elsewhere for desktop Macs. This means the Mini if it is powerful enough. If not a laptop.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucsstamticc View Post

Yes sir/maam that would be you.  I don't like passing off others ideas as my own so thats why I put that.  

I also currently have a 17" MBP(mid2010) I was going to get the iMac and get rid of my MBP and switch to an AIR for my mobile needs due to weight restrictions on the helicopters, but now with the talk of discontinued 17"MBP I might just hold on to it. 

Thank you again for your insight. 

This makes no sense at all! The 17" being discontinued does not mean that, that is a reason to keep it around longer. Especially if you are flying on helicopters a lot.

In any event if you follow these forums you would know that it is a terrible time to consider a new desktop Mac as it is expected that new machines will come real soon now. That is if you decide to go the desktop route.

Frankly I see a movement back to desktop hardware especially for those that can do their mobile work on am iPad. A desktop and an iPad can be a very workable combination for many users. The only issue with iPad is the maturity of the software base.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 

Well I was going to keep it simply because I would be able to get more use out of it than I could get money for it.  

 

I would be getting the AIR for going offshore(helicopters).  Just keep the MBP at the house.  Have an iMac and MBP at the house and my AIR for travel. 

 

I agree with you completely about waiting for a new desktop to come out.  Not sure if you have read the correction to the Apple PR( you probably have) where it initially stated new iMac and Mac Pros for 2013, then it was restated just Mac Pros, which leads me to believe that a new iMac is on the horizon. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iMac on or before Mountain Lion release?