or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012

post #1 of 122
Thread Starter 
A new rumor claims Sharp is set to begin delivering LCD TV panels to assembler Foxconn in order to begin building Apple television sets.

The details were reported Thursday morning on Chinese news site 21cbh.com, and summarized by analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets. According to the report, Foxconn originally expected to begin receiving LCD TV panels for an Apple television in the fourth quarter of this year, but that scheduled arrival from Sharp has apparently been moved up.

The publication allegedly spoke with a Sharp executive and other sources at the company, which led the news outlet to believe LCD TV panels have been ordered for an anticipated Apple television. The report suggested such a device could be made available before the 2012 holiday season.

"In our view, a holiday launch would make for a very merry holiday season for Apple and consumers," White said. "However, we will continue to monitor the data points surrounding the timing of this launch as they could change."

Foxconn bought a 10 percent stake in Sharp in March, worth $808 million, in an effort to help boost Sharp's struggling LCD business. The deal prompted speculation that both companies were hoping to enter into Apple's supply chain for the company's anticipated television set.

Television


Some have suggested that Sharp's new Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide (IGZO) panels would be a good match for an Apple television. Sharp is already a major display supplier for Apple, including Retina displays for the new iPad.

White believes the pieces are in place for Apple to launch a full-fledged HDTV in the near future. With just a 2 percent unit share in the LCD TV market, White believes Apple could generate sales of $10 billion per year, with $1.50 to $2.00 in earnings per share.

Earlier this month, White revealed that while visiting Taipei, Taiwan, for the Computex trade show, sources in Apple's supply chain hinted that the anticipated Apple television will have a "special type of motion detection technology" that will be the primary method of controlling the device. He was also told that the television could include a "unique" plastic-backed remote control with a touch panel, appearing similar to the iPad, for control of the device.
post #2 of 122
Please, up to at least 60"!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #3 of 122

When do pre-orders begin?

 

Did the complete the purchase of Loewe yet?  http://www.loewe.tv

They should also toss TomTom into the shopping cart while they're at it. http://www.tomtom.com

 

We'll see...

post #4 of 122

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

 

Apple TV? It would want to be VERY VERY good. Trying to sell a product into an already heavily saturated market is not easy.

 

Besides, I have a Mac-mini connected to a 50" TV right now, with legato eye TV, a brilliant match. The TV and mac mini combined with the Eye TV costs about $2500. I'd imagine that Apple won't be getting something on the market at that price.

 

Here's what I think might help sell it:

1. All 5.1 surround sound channels available to stream REAL TIME to wireless speakers. 

2. Retina display for 50" to 60" hires display.

3. WiFi real time streaming available from iPad and Mac OS to TV

4. Safari browsing with remote mouse/trackpad/keyboard

5. Front row with remote to iTunes/tv/etc...

6. Free content. Well, at least some! Come on Apple, if you charge premium price for hardware, give something back.

7. Free to air digital TV recording, pause live TV. Multiple channel recording/viewing

8. Thunderbolt for external media content storage devices, additional screens etc.

9. A very nice design and very nice price.

10. Something distinctly Apple. Don't know what or how, but it has to be unlike anything else on the market. iOS and Mac OS is simply not enough to make it special. Siri? Maybe, but perhaps LEAP might be the trick.

post #5 of 122
A new rumour says that someone is going to buy and sell stocks today so they created a rumour.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 122
Another Apple Television rumor. Where's there's smoke, there's fire or is it just smoke and mirrors?
post #7 of 122
As mentioned in another article that the MBPR uses LG displays, but this article claims they use the Sharp. well, which one is it? Is there a noticeable difference? If, how can we tell?
post #8 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

 

Did you spend too much time listening to salespeople lately?

There's not a single TV or computer screen featuring an actual LED display today.

The only thing that happened were LCD backlights moving from CCFL to LED and Samsung's marketing department having the glorious idea of calling that an LED display even though it isn't.

 

If Apple is building a TV you can be pretty sure that behind the LCD panel there will be LEDs for the backlight, because that's what they're using in all the other product lines.

post #9 of 122
I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.
post #10 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.

If you have to spend $2k+ on a new Apple TV, I would much rather they go with a 4k screen in a "reasonable" size (under 46") first. That is about the only thing i can see Apple providing essential value with-- nearly everything else is functional with the current box. With it being display-integrated, you can easily render vector objects without needing the high bandwidth interconnects.
post #11 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.


I was thinking the same thing. iMacs are due for a refresh in the next few months- and even if they kept the same screens, they need more. This could be a retina iMac, different sized iMacs, or just the same ole gorgeous screens the iMacs have currently.


And to the guy freaking out about them saying LCD and not led... You need to read up before you start analyzing (something analysts should also do).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #12 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A new rumour says that someone is going to buy and sell stocks today so they created a rumour.

 

You don't believe it? Seems like we've had a quite a few rumours about a possible Q4 launch.

 

On the plus side, the more rumours the more likely that an Apple Television will happen one day.

 

I don't think it will happen this year as we've already got quite a few exciting new products lined up for this year: Retina iMac, iPad Mini, New iPhone. new iPods.

 

I still think WWDC 2013 is the most likely launch date but I'm happy to be wrong if it means getting one sooner.

post #13 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If you have to spend $2k+ on a new Apple TV, I would much rather they go with a 4k screen in a "reasonable" size (under 46") first. That is about the only thing i can see Apple providing essential value with-- nearly everything else is functional with the current box. With it being display-integrated, you can easily render vector objects without needing the high bandwidth interconnects.

A 4k display- wow that sounds awesome. What is it going to play? HD Cable, Blu rays, or iTunes streamed in 4k?

Why not make it 24k? It makes it just as useful as 4k.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #14 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


A 4k display- wow that sounds awesome. What is it going to play? HD Cable, Blu rays, or iTunes streamed in 4k?
Why not make it 24k? It makes it just as useful as 4k.

i wonder too.

Here in the USA - surely a prime market - even so called HD, if its not mainstream (example the other sports such as soccer) is so compressed HD is wasted, at least whenever there is any movement on the picture

post #15 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.

 

that is my thought as well. A high end Retina 27 inch iMac. new retina displays that might include a larger or two option and have HDMI to hook up an Apple TV etc. 

 

And I alway laugh when someone that is supposed to have knowledge in finance doesn't use the company's calendar. Apple's year starts in Oct so that holiday is Q1. So Apple is ending Q3 at the end of this month. You would think a money guy would know that and use that calendar. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #16 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


A 4k display- wow that sounds awesome. What is it going to play? HD Cable, Blu rays, or iTunes streamed in 4k?
Why not make it 24k? It makes it just as useful as 4k.

 

There are 4k streams out in the wild thanks to there being (pricey but) available 4k cameras that anyone with the cash can buy. And properly done hardware can upscale a blu-ray to fit that screen with a minimum of black boxing. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #17 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please, up to at least 60"!

Not even close. At least 65". 

 

And plasma.

post #18 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnuding View Post

 

Did you spend too much time listening to salespeople lately?

There's not a single TV or computer screen featuring an actual LED display today.

The only thing that happened were LCD backlights moving from CCFL to LED and Samsung's marketing department having the glorious idea of calling that an LED display even though it isn't.

 

If Apple is building a TV you can be pretty sure that behind the LCD panel there will be LEDs for the backlight, because that's what they're using in all the other product lines.

 

 

hmm, what are these?

 

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

post #19 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

 

Apple TV? It would want to be VERY VERY good. Trying to sell a product into an already heavily saturated market is not easy.

 

Besides, I have a Mac-mini connected to a 50" TV right now, with legato eye TV, a brilliant match. The TV and mac mini combined with the Eye TV costs about $2500. I'd imagine that Apple won't be getting something on the market at that price.

 

Here's what I think might help sell it:

1. All 5.1 surround sound channels available to stream REAL TIME to wireless speakers. 

2. Retina display for 50" to 60" hires display.

3. WiFi real time streaming available from iPad and Mac OS to TV

4. Safari browsing with remote mouse/trackpad/keyboard

5. Front row with remote to iTunes/tv/etc...

6. Free content. Well, at least some! Come on Apple, if you charge premium price for hardware, give something back.

7. Free to air digital TV recording, pause live TV. Multiple channel recording/viewing

8. Thunderbolt for external media content storage devices, additional screens etc.

9. A very nice design and very nice price.

10. Something distinctly Apple. Don't know what or how, but it has to be unlike anything else on the market. iOS and Mac OS is simply not enough to make it special. Siri? Maybe, but perhaps LEAP might be the trick.

 

1.  Yes, of course.  And it will come with a "Surround sound" soundbar built in so that the accessory speakers can be bought separately.

2.  The sizes will be the most popular sizes currently on the market.  Whatever the sweet spot is currently.

3.  Of course.

4.  All existing Mac accessories will work with it seamlessly.,

6.  There is plenty of free content already available,

7.  Onlty if it has a built-in Cablecard.  No wore-connected cable boxes will survive.

8.  No external devices will connect via wires.

10. It  will be Apple through and through.  Any resemblances to a traditional TV will be merely one capability. 

post #20 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

 

 

hmm, what are these?

 

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

LCD screens with LED backlights that they call LED screens for marketing purposes.  Every Apple screen is an LED screen by the definition.

post #21 of 122
Anyone bother to do the math to determine what a "Retina Display" actually is for say a 50" display from the appropriate viewing distance?

According to the math done a while back by a guy on TUAW, a 50" display would need a pixel density of about 50 ppi to be considered Retina from 72" away from the screen...

That doesn't seem right. Apple's next Retina Resolution is likely to be 3840 x 2160 (4x 1080p), which on a 50" Display would be 88 ppi.
Edited by pmz - 6/21/12 at 8:23am
post #22 of 122

But how will they get by the "Its a blatant copy of a Samsung TV"?

 

After all, i'm no prophet, but I can safely guess it will be rectangular with a black front, thin bezel, uncluttered front, ships in cardboard rectangular box, etc....just like  a Samsung TV

 

I mean, if the galaxy tab looks like an ipad, how is a 46" iTV NOT gonna look like a 46" Samsung TV....or any other manufacturer for that matter?

 

The only way i can see is two options. Make the TV a circle or make a really funky stand. Other than that, I will have trouble picking out which is which when i go to a store and see two rectangular, thin bezel, uncluttered front, TV's that ship in a rectangular cardboard box. 

post #23 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

But how will they get by the "Its a blatant copy of a Samsung TV"?

 

After all, i'm no prophet, but I can safely guess it will be rectangular with a black front, thin bezel, uncluttered front, ships in cardboard rectangular box, etc....just like  a Samsung TV

 

I mean, if the galaxy tab looks like an ipad, how is a 46" iTV NOT gonna look like a 46" Samsung TV....or any other manufacturer for that matter?

 

The only way i can see is two options. Make the TV a circle or make a really funky stand. Other than that, I will have trouble picking out which is which when i go to a store and see two rectangular, thin bezel, uncluttered front, TV's that ship in a rectangular cardboard box. 

If that's the case, Samsung TVs are simply ripoffs of Sony, which are ripoffs of Philips, which are.....

 

Go back to sleep.

post #24 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Anyone bother to do the math to determine what a "Retina Display" actually is for say a 50" display from the appropriate viewing distance

Its even less than 1080 P if you sit on a couch ten feet away. 

 

At any rate, retina is just a dumb marketing term anyway. At any distance any display will cease to show pixels. I can call a 480p display retina and just say from x feet away. 

 

Even on the iphone, or even on the HIGHER PPI HTC sensation, if you hold it close enough you see pixels. 

 

But you have to hand it to Apple, "Retina Display' does sound cool, even if it is no longer the last word on pixel density. 

post #25 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If that's the case, Samsung TVs are simply ripoffs of Sony, which are ripoffs of Philips, which are.....

 

Go back to sleep.

Hence the reason i said ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER.

 

Geez, read the post. 

post #26 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Its even less than 1080 P if you sit on a couch ten feet away. 

At any rate, retina is just a dumb marketing term anyway. At any distance any display will cease to show pixels. I can call a 480p display retina and just say from x feet away. 

Even on the iphone, or even on the HIGHER PPI HTC sensation, if you hold it close enough you see pixels. 

But you have to hand it to Apple, "Retina Display' does sound cool, even if it is no longer the last word on pixel density. 

See my edit above. And Yes, you're correct. I think could easily just make a 1080p 50" TV and not have to do anything more than that. Higher pixel density from 10 feet away isn't going to improve anything.
post #27 of 122

The panel sizes are 60-80". Was mentioned in the following recent News Post

 

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/20/iphone_5_will_put_samsungs_galaxy_s_iii_to_shame_says_foxconn_ceo.html

 

Foxconn bought 10% of Sharp. Foxconn is taking over the factory that produces these panels. Foxconn's spin is that these panels will put them 3 years ahead of Samsung. 

 

Its assumed that these panels will be for an Apple branded TV. Or. could be that Foxconn is taking over to make Sharp more profitable by refining and speeding production. Could also be that there won't we an Apple TV but a Sharp branded TV with Apple Integrated components (i.e. Apple Inside").  This would give Sharp a boost, it keeps Apple out of the TV Business while offering an ATV inside type product with advanced features. Sort of like dipping you toes in the water.

 

Its not like Apple bought shares in Sharp or owns Foxconn so there is an at arms distance here so not sure if this will be an Apple Branded TV. Guess time will tell.  

post #28 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


A 4k display- wow that sounds awesome. What is it going to play? HD Cable, Blu rays, or iTunes streamed in 4k?
Why not make it 24k? It makes it just as useful as 4k.

4K - it's the marketing department's latest buzzword, as they've just realised that they've been flogging the 3D dead horse for long enough and need something 'new and exciting' to bamboozle the gullible buying public with.....

post #29 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

 

 

hmm, what are these?

 

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

Although the article you linked to is rather poorly written, had you bothered to read it you would have learned that LED TV means LED BACK-LIT. The LEDs are along the top and bottom of the TV completely out of view behind the LCD panel. The LEDs are white LEDs which are the same as blue LEDs except they have a phosphorous coating.They replace the fluorescent tubes that used to provide the same function. That is all. There are some TVs that use RGB LEDs which reportedly produce a superior image.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #30 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hence the reason i said ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER.

 

Geez, read the post. 

I did. You meant Samsung.

post #31 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post

The panel sizes are 60-80". Was mentioned in the following recent News Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/20/iphone_5_will_put_samsungs_galaxy_s_iii_to_shame_says_foxconn_ceo.html

Foxconn bought 10% of Sharp. Foxconn is taking over the factory that produces these panels. Foxconn's spin is that these panels will put them 3 years ahead of Samsung. 

Its assumed that these panels will be for an Apple branded TV. Or. could be that Foxconn is taking over to make Sharp more profitable by refining and speeding production. Could also be that there won't we an Apple TV but a Sharp branded TV with Apple Integrated components (i.e. Apple Inside").  This would give Sharp a boost, it keeps Apple out of the TV Business while offering an ATV inside type product with advanced features. Sort of like dipping you toes in the water.

Its not like Apple bought shares in Sharp or owns Foxconn so there is an at arms distance here so not sure if this will be an Apple Branded TV. Guess time will tell.  

Sorry but this would never happen. Apple already has the AppleTV. The only step for them to take into the display side is the full deal, the iTV or the Apple HDTV or whatever. They would never, at this stage of the game, do it half way like that. Its all or nothing.

Personally I don't see the need or the market, but Apple does have a knack for spurring those things. It worries me though, as I've never doubted what some people have thought were "Apple risks" that panned out to be huge successes. I never doubted the iPod, iPhone, iPad, or any majorly successful push of the last several years. I didn't have much faith in Ping, and.....well, that's over (or nearly over).
post #32 of 122
If Foxconn is receiving these then that means manufacturing will be completed by the time the next iPhone ships in October.
post #33 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I did. You meant Samsung.

Huh? I i Clearly wrote any other manufacturer? 

 

Whatever dude, you win. I meant whatever you say, you are the boss, congrats, here's a cookie, its in the mail, enjoy it. I threw in some money for the kids and kiss for your wife. 

post #34 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not even close. At least 65". 

 

And plasma.

I have no place to put a 65" TV. I know some people have dedicated media rooms for their home theater but I only have the 18' x 20' family room. I dislike having a huge TV that dominates the room. It is not like TV is the primary function of the room and a TV that large really detracts from the rest of the interior decor and furnishings. I have a 42" in that room which is large enough for my needs. I also have a 27 in the kitchen and the garage but I swear I don't watch much TV at all.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publication allegedly spoke with a Sharp executive and other sources at the company, which led the news outlet to believe LCD TV panels have been ordered for an anticipated Apple television. The report suggested such a device could be made available before the 2012 holiday season.

And if not, there's always next year. This rumour should be coming up for at least its 4th anniversary by now. Have we had all the size guesses yet? 32", 47.5", 54.43". Prices too remember, $50 all the way up to $7000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

White believes the pieces are in place for Apple to launch a full-fledged HDTV in the near future. With just a 2 percent unit share in the LCD TV market, White believes Apple could generate sales of $10 billion per year, with $1.50 to $2.00 in earnings per share.

Sales don't mean squat unless there's profit. Think of the difference between the iPad and the TV. Nobody had an iPad before the iPad. Almost everybody has a TV. It would make sense if Apple made the panels but they don't and they'd be going up against manufacturers who do. So, they are buying panels, building a case and selling them to compete with the same panels in a different case.

Even if the software is better, the point of a TV is to do nothing but stream content so the software and hardware have to get out of the way.
post #36 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

Apple TV? It would want to be VERY VERY good. Trying to sell a product into an already heavily saturated market is not easy.

 

I keep hearing this and why do you think this would be the case? If Apple comes out with their own TV you can bet it will be much different than what we're used to calling a TV and therefor unique, making it immune to issues with working inside a market already saturated by devices that perform the same functions. You can bet that if it took Steve Jobs years to finally "crack" what would make TVs better, it will be something that redefines what we consider to be televisions.

 

Everything people list as what they'd like to see are all fairly common features of modern television sets. Here's a few things that could set Apple apart from other manufacturers...

 

 

1. K.I.S.S. Let the display be a display and break out all the connections into a set-top box. Apple is famous for hating wires, having one data cord and one power cord to the display would keep the cable clutter down to a minimum and allow more freedom where the TV can be positioned or located. Make a display in a few sizes. Make the set-top box in a few models depending on what connections/features the person needs.

 

2. Work with device manufacturers to create an industry standard interconnect (hardline or wireless), so that these devices can communicate with each other - making it possible for the set-top box to control other components which would enable Apple's TV to put up a much more simplified, elegant and consistent interface for those other devices which tend to have really crappy interfaces.

 

3. Work with content creators to create and offer iTunes content that is context aware. Like with iBooks, could embed extra data; video, photos, text, URLs, etc.

 

4. Partner with TitanTV and offer much better content guides that can use Siri for searching and navigation. (Cable box channel guides are horrendous and such a pain to use.)

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #37 of 122

All I can  say is that each week the rumors  keep getting better and better. Eventually they'll have this Apple TV buit up to the point of cooking breakfast and making your bed when you get up. Sounds good to me, hopefully its true.

post #38 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

NEWS FLASH: There's no such thing as an LED TV. They're all LCDs. They use LED backlights.
Quote:
1. All 5.1 surround sound channels available to stream REAL TIME to wireless speakers.
3. WiFi real time streaming available from iPad and Mac OS to TV

"Apple could sell more if they break the laws of physics."
Quote:
2. Retina display for 50" to 60" hires display.

Then it will cost $250,000. Don't just say things.
Quote:
5. Front row with remote to iTunes/tv/etc...

Front Row is long, LONG dead.
Quote:
6. Free content. Well, at least some! Come on Apple, if you charge premium price for hardware, give something back.

No. Period. Come on.
Quote:
7. Free to air digital TV recording, pause live TV. Multiple channel recording/viewing

And you'll be getting this TV from where?
Quote:
8. Thunderbolt for external media content storage devices, additional screens etc.

Er… please expound on "additional screens"… Do you often sit with multiple televisions right next to one another?
Quote:
9. A very nice design and very nice price.

Okay, so $300,000, then, if you want the design.
Quote:
10. Something distinctly Apple. Don't know what or how, but it has to be unlike anything else on the market.

How's about not a TV at all? That's unlike anything else on the market. Just the nice little $99 box that does absolutely everything a television could ever do, plus affords the ability to actually sell some units since why would anyone replace all their TVs before buying a couple little boxes?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #39 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

 

 

hmm, what are these?

 

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

LCD screens with LED backlights that they call LED screens for marketing purposes.  Every Apple screen is an LED screen by the definition.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although the article you linked to is rather poorly written, had you bothered to read it you would have learned that LED TV means LED BACK-LIT. The LEDs are along the top and bottom of the TV completely out of view behind the LCD panel. The LEDs are white LEDs which are the same as blue LEDs except they have a phosphorous coating.They replace the fluorescent tubes that used to provide the same function. That is all. There are some TVs that use RGB LEDs which reportedly produce a superior image.

 

LOL

post #40 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

Apple TV? It would want to be VERY VERY good. Trying to sell a product into an already heavily saturated market is not easy.

Besides, I have a Mac-mini connected to a 50" TV right now, with legato eye TV, a brilliant match. The TV and mac mini combined with the Eye TV costs about $2500. I'd imagine that Apple won't be getting something on the market at that price.

Here's what I think might help sell it:
1. All 5.1 surround sound channels available to stream REAL TIME to wireless speakers. 
2. Retina display for 50" to 60" hires display.
3. WiFi real time streaming available from iPad and Mac OS to TV
4. Safari browsing with remote mouse/trackpad/keyboardgt
5. Front row with remote to iTunes/tv/etc...
6. Free content. Well, at least some! Come on Apple, if you charge premium price for hardware, give something back.
7. Free to air digital TV recording, pause live TV. Multiple channel recording/viewing
8. Thunderbolt for external media content storage devices, additional screens etc.
9. A very nice design and very nice price.
10. Something distinctly Apple. Don't know what or how, but it has to be unlike anything else on the market. iOS and Mac OS is simply not enough to make it special. Siri? Maybe, but perhaps LEAP might be the trick.

LED TVs still have LCD panels, the LEDs are used for back lighting.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012