or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012 - Page 2

post #41 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


NEWS FLASH: There's no such thing as an LED TV. They're all LCDs. They use LED backlights.

 

Well, not ALL TVs are LCDs. Many LED-lit ones are. But not all.


Edited by ankleskater - 6/21/12 at 11:05am
post #42 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

But how will they get by the "Its a blatant copy of a Samsung TV"?

 

The only way i can see is two options. Make the TV a circle or make a really funky stand. Other than that, I will have trouble picking out which is which when i go to a store and see two rectangular, thin bezel, uncluttered front, TV's that ship in a rectangular cardboard box. 

 

Are you for real? Do you have trouble now? Most TV's have the manufacturer's name on the front. And I'm pretty sure Apple's will have an Apple logo.

 

Apple has been making displays for over 20 years. If Apple makes a TV, it will probably look a lot like an iMac or one of their current displays.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #43 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

But how will they get by the "Its a blatant copy of a Samsung TV"?

After all, i'm no prophet, but I can safely guess it will be rectangular with a black front, thin bezel, uncluttered front, ships in cardboard rectangular box, etc....just like  a Samsung TV

I mean, if the galaxy tab looks like an ipad, how is a 46" iTV NOT gonna look like a 46" Samsung TV....or any other manufacturer for that matter?

The only way i can see is two options. Make the TV a circle or make a really funky stand. Other than that, I will have trouble picking out which is which when i go to a store and see two rectangular, thin bezel, uncluttered front, TV's that ship in a rectangular cardboard box. 

This is a Samsung digital photo frame circa 2006.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/samsung-digital-picture-frame-stores-pics-movies-music/?m=false

6 years ago Samsung had that form factor. They really didn't need Apple to show them it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #44 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

6 years ago Samsung had that form factor. They really didn't need Apple to show them it.

And two years prior, Apple submitted the patent that became the iPad. Your point?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #45 of 122

Can everyone please stop trying show how smart you are by pointing out there are no LED TV's?  It's been addressed in 5 posts now.  :)

 

Anyway, as myself and many others have said, our biggest want would be an integrated DVR that works with Dish, Direct TV and most major cable providers.  (Expect your provider to charge you $5-$10 for the service though.)  This allows us to "cut the cord" and have an Apple interface rather than the horrible cable guide interfaces. I can see the cable/satellite providers main concern being loss of revenue via pay per view movies and that was probably the biggest negotatiating point. To that end, there are two arguments in Apple's favor: 1) A lot of first run movies are avaible on the ATV for purchase only. I've noticed this problem getting worse and worse lately. Could this be a concession to cable/SAT providers so they still get their rental revenue?  2) If Apple were to secure a deal with one provider I can't imagine the others not falling in line.  Would you really want to risk losing that significant a share of your subscriber base? 

 

It would be impressive if Apple could accomplish this integrated DVR and keep the "Apple premium" to a reasonable amount. 

 

P.S. Multi room DVR...I'm thinking this would now be accomplished by the current ATV's via a firmware upgrade.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #46 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

P.S. Multi room DVR...I'm thinking this would now be accomplished by the current ATV's via a firmware upgrade.

They have 8GB chips in them. You're not getting DVR functionality out of the current models.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #47 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

At any rate, retina is just a dumb marketing term anyway. At any distance any display will cease to show pixels.

 

It is a marketing term, but is used to describe the MINIMUM distance at which you can no longer see individual pixels with 20/20 vision. This is important when you're holding a device in your hands as there is a comfortable distance you're going to want to hold that device away from your face; ~10 inches for a mobile phone, ~15 inches for a tablet. And it could also apply to laptops as well, because you have to sit within a certain distance from the computer to use the keyboard and trackpad comfortably.

 

TVs and desktops... just doesn't make much sense for "Retina" as you're not usually sitting at a fixed distance from the screen. Could be 18 inches away, could be 3 feet away, could be 15 feet away.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #48 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And two years prior, Apple submitted the patent that became the iPad. Your point?

A shipped product speaks volumes over a yet unrealized patent.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #49 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

A shipped product speaks volumes over a yet unrealized patent.

Particularly when they have… nothing to… do with one another…

Show me a Samsung tablet from before the launch of the iPad and then you'll have an argument.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #50 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post


hmm, what are these?

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

Wrongly labeled that's what.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #51 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Particularly when they have… nothing to… do with one another…
Show me a Samsung tablet from before the launch of the iPad and then you'll have an argument.

I was just arguing looks per the reply I quoted. I'm not arguing that the Tab doesn't look like the iPad, but the iPad also looks like a Samsung device released 6 years ago. The look isn't unique and Apple doesn't have sole ownership of it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Particularly when they have… nothing to… do with one another…
Show me a Samsung tablet from before the launch of the iPad and then you'll have an argument.

There not as different as you'd like to think. The digital picture frame does still have albeit tiny motherboard with a CPU and somewhat of a operating system to control it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 122

Nice to se you've been hitting the crack pipe Pete because that sure would explain your whacked out post. Just to clear up one thing for you, and I'm sure you already know this, but those LEDs you were referring to are used as the backlight source for the TV an ill those fancy new units you're seeing at Best Buy. They still have a layer of LCD's in front that create the picture. The only TV's that aren't LCD are you're old fashioned PLasma'a and the OLED and unless you're Donald Trump you probably don't own an OLED TV. Heck, I don't even think large OLED TV's are being mass produced yet.

post #54 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

I keep hearing this and why do you think this would be the case? If Apple comes out with their own TV you can bet it will be much different than what we're used to calling a TV and therefor unique, making it immune to issues with working inside a market already saturated by devices that perform the same functions. You can bet that if it took Steve Jobs years to finally "crack" what would make TVs better, it will be something that redefines what we consider to be televisions.

 

Everything people list as what they'd like to see are all fairly common features of modern television sets. Here's a few things that could set Apple apart from other manufacturers...

 

 

1. K.I.S.S. Let the display be a display and break out all the connections into a set-top box. Apple is famous for hating wires, having one data cord and one power cord to the display would keep the cable clutter down to a minimum and allow more freedom where the TV can be positioned or located. Make a display in a few sizes. Make the set-top box in a few models depending on what connections/features the person needs.

 

2. Work with device manufacturers to create an industry standard interconnect (hardline or wireless), so that these devices can communicate with each other - making it possible for the set-top box to control other components which would enable Apple's TV to put up a much more simplified, elegant and consistent interface for those other devices which tend to have really crappy interfaces.

 

3. Work with content creators to create and offer iTunes content that is context aware. Like with iBooks, could embed extra data; video, photos, text, URLs, etc.

 

4. Partner with TitanTV and offer much better content guides that can use Siri for searching and navigation. (Cable box channel guides are horrendous and such a pain to use.)


If Apple came out with a TV that got rid of the mess of cable/aux/hdmi cords I'd buy it in a second.

post #55 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Can everyone please stop trying show how smart you are by pointing out there are no LED TV's?  It's been addressed in 5 posts now.  :)

 

 

Actually, there are indeed LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

post #56 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymw View Post

The only TV's that aren't LCD are you're old fashioned PLasma'a and the OLED and unless you're Donald Trump you probably don't own an OLED TV. Heck, I don't even think large OLED TV's are being mass produced yet.

 Not true.

post #57 of 122

Eh. Arguing over specs gets boring after two minutes. No one cares what might be watched on this possibly mythical product? If this is real, I think there has to be more to it than tech- some revolutionary new content deal, maybe.

 

My ultimate dream would be flat rate pricing (like Netflix) that allows you to stream any TV show or movie ever made, along with the access to YouTube, Vimeo and other internet based sources like the current AppleTV box. The way things are going- with HBO and others looking for their own home grown solution- we're looking at a fragmented marketplace requiring multiple subscriptions and I'm right back to what I'm paying for DirecTV if not more.

 

Anyone seen Reed Hastings and Tim Cook deep in conversation anywhere? That would be cool. Netflix teams up with Apple to force the entertainment industry to accept the new world already, dammit!

post #58 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.

 

 

The new 42" Retina Display iMac? :P

post #59 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Actually, there are indeed LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

Very few and expensive. The LED TVs advertised are a LCD/LED hybrid.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

 

Actually, there are indeed LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Very few and expensive.

 

Not really.

post #61 of 122

Never mind...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #62 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not even close. At least 65". 

And plasma.

Not sure i get your comment 'not even close' 'At least 60".' doesn't rule out 65"' I didn't say 'no more than 60" which would..
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #63 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnuding View Post

 

Did you spend too much time listening to salespeople lately?

There's not a single TV or computer screen featuring an actual LED display today.

The only thing that happened were LCD backlights moving from CCFL to LED and Samsung's marketing department having the glorious idea of calling that an LED display even though it isn't.

 

If Apple is building a TV you can be pretty sure that behind the LCD panel there will be LEDs for the backlight, because that's what they're using in all the other product lines.


I'm not surprised at all. Just about everyone who's asked me for advice on a new TV actually thought that LED TV referred to the type of display. I have to constantly tell people that it still uses an LCD display and that LED is just a different way to light the LCD displays.

post #64 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


Not really.

Yes really
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes really


You can write whatever you like but that doesn't make you right :)

 

If you are interested in facts, then look it up yourself. Not that hard. But the lesson here for you is not to stand by a position when you don't know the straight facts.

post #66 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have no place to put a 65" TV. I know some people have dedicated media rooms for their home theater but I only have the 18' x 20' family room. I dislike having a huge TV that dominates the room. ...

 

All I'm gonna say is that these two opinions put you in a distinct minority of the group of people that are in the market for a TV.  

 

An 18x20 family room is pretty huge by most living standards around the world today and most people buy a TV almost explicitly to "dominate" the room.  

 

Anything below 50" or so is considered the smaller end of the TV market nowadays.  If Apple came out with anything less than the 60" and 80" ones that are rumoured it will probably be a fail.  

post #67 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


You can write whatever you like but that doesn't make you right :)

 

If you are interested in facts, then look it up yourself. Not that hard. But the lesson here for you is not to stand by a position when you don't know the straight facts.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

 

Actually, there are indeed LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

 Not true.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

 

 

Not really.

Please me out of my misery, and at least point to some available LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


You can write whatever you like but that doesn't make you right 1smile.gif

If you are interested in facts, then look it up yourself. Not that hard. But the lesson here for you is not to stand by a position when you don't know the straight facts.

I have looked it up extensively. i just did a ton of research because i was buying a TV, I ended up with a plasma.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post



Please me out of my misery, and at least point to some available LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

Well there's always the Sony XEL-1 OLED, which is 11" (yes eleven inches) and there's a used one on ebay for $899 and one on Amazon for $2,300. Unless of course you're Gru from Despicable Me and have room for a Jumbotron.

315

In case you dont have young kids and have no idea what i'm talking about, here's the clip.

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/despicable-me/the-minions-3/#!quotes/
Edited by dasanman69 - 6/21/12 at 3:44pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #70 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Well there's always the Sony XEL-1 OLED, which is 11" (yes eleven inches) and there's a used one on ebay for $899 and one on Amazon for $2,300. Unless of course you're Gru from Despicable Me and have room for a Jumbotron.
315
In case you dont have young kids and have no idea what i'm talking about, here's the clip.
http://www.anyclip.com/movies/despicable-me/the-minions-3/#!quotes/

Thanks,

fact is mr ankle fighter cannot point us to available, led screens thsst don't use LCD cos they just don't exist 

post #71 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Well there's always the Sony XEL-1 OLED, which is 11" (yes eleven inches) and there's a used one on ebay for $899 and one on Amazon for $2,300. Unless of course you're Gru from Despicable Me and have room for a Jumbotron.

In case you dont have young kids and have no idea what i'm talking about, here's the clip.
http://www.anyclip.com/movies/despicable-me/the-minions-3/#!quotes/

 

Let's start with OLED. Samsung and LG showed 55" OLED TVs at CES this year. Projected shipping date is Christmas this year. It will be pricy at first but this shows that your info is outdated, far far outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Thanks,

fact is mr ankle fighter cannot point us to available, led screens thsst don't use LCD cos they just don't exist 

 

Did you even bother looking it up before mocking me? You are going to look mighty foolish if I point out something that should be rather obvious. Why don't you erase your comment before that happens? Unlike others, I don't make it my mission to make others look dumb. A basic search will lead you to the answer.

post #72 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Let's start with OLED. Samsung and LG showed 55" OLED TVs at CES this year. Projected shipping date is Christmas this year. It will be pricy at first but this shows that your info is outdated, far far outdated.

Did you not say "Not really" when I wrote "Very few and expensive" and now you just proved my point. 2 TVs is very few and pricey means expensive. Yes my data is outdated, it was the only truly LED TV I could find that actually can be purchased now, not in 6 months.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #73 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

 

Let's start with OLED. Samsung and LG showed 55" OLED TVs at CES this year. Projected shipping date is Christmas this year. It will be pricy at first but this shows that your info is outdated, far far outdated.

 

Did you even bother looking it up before mocking me? You are going to look mighty foolish if I point out something that should be rather obvious. Why don't you erase your comment before that happens? Unlike others, I don't make it my mission to make others look dumb. A basic search will lead you to the answer.

you said many led lit tis are lcd bit nt all

apart from tiny 11 inch olds, and more OLED's not yet on the market, flat TV's are either plasma, or LCD. Newer better LCD use LEDs for backlight, and the industry tries to market them as LED, v the older LCD which used CCFL backlighting, but stick to your side of things, eventually it will come true

post #74 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

you said many led lit tis are lcd bit nt all

 

 

Exactly. (Mind you, I needed a translator to help me before I could agree with your confirmation of my statement.)

post #75 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Did you not say "Not really" when I wrote "Very few and expensive" and now you just proved my point. 2 TVs is very few and pricey means expensive. Yes my data is outdated, it was the only truly LED TV I could find that actually can be purchased now, not in 6 months.


I did say not really and it remains factually correct, but not because of these OLED units. I only mentioned them to update you on the OLED industry.

 

In addition to providing back-light to LCD panels, LED TVs also exist in three other forms. We've already discussed OLED, which will likely be the "next wave" of TVs. There are also LED display panels. They are mainly used for outdoor stadiums (and also store displays) because the resolution isn't there yet (AFAIK) and because they are expensive.  The 3rd category is DLP TVs. This technology is seen far more often in projectors and is based on a MEMS device (the industry calls them DMD or Digital Micromirror Device) consisting of many mirrors each controlled to reflect light (LED light). They are no more expensive (cheaper?) than plasma or LCD panels, and actually offer a better picture (IMO). Not many manufacturers sell them anymore (Mitsubishi still does) because consumers have chosen the thinner and lighter LCDs and plasmas. But you can still buy them and, at one point, this technology was considered a contender with the other two.

post #76 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


I did say not really and it remains factually correct, but not because of these OLED units. I only mentioned them to update you on the OLED industry.

In addition to providing back-light to LCD panels, LED TVs also exist in three other forms. We've already discussed OLED, which will likely be the "next wave" of TVs. There are also LED display panels. They are mainly used for outdoor stadiums (and also store displays) because the resolution isn't there yet (AFAIK) and because they are expensive.  The 3rd category is DLP TVs. This technology is seen far more often in projectors and is based on a MEMS device (the industry calls them DMD or Digital Micromirror Device) consisting of many mirrors each controlled to reflect light (LED light). They are no more expensive (cheaper?) than plasma or LCD panels, and actually offer a better picture (IMO). Not many manufacturers sell them anymore (Mitsubishi still does) because consumers have chosen the thinner and lighter LCDs and plasmas. But you can still buy them and, at one point, this technology was considered a contender with the other two.

I was right about the Jumbotron, which is a LED display not tv. Although DLPs use LEDs they've never been considered a LED TV and they do have a great picture, but I haven't seen one in years, good to know they're still being made. Good job though I had totally forgotten about DLPs. I am looking forward to those OLED TVs, I watched the CES presentations and they looked impressive.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #77 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have 8GB chips in them. You're not getting DVR functionality out of the current models.

That's way more than enough storage. You don't even need a gig. The way most Cable boxes work- for example- Uverse- is that each receiver simply streams. You can click record, you can watch recorded shows, etc- but those all come from one central box or supplied router/storage unit.

So the Apple Television set could have the larger drive and store, and the ATV could simply stream. Of course, the current ATV by itself could still do the same thing and just use your Mac as the central storage. Either way- it could be done.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #78 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

…those all come from one central box or supplied router/storage unit. So the Apple Television set could have the larger drive and store, and the ATV could simply stream.

The mythical TV seems to be a deus ex machina these days….

And do you really think people would be okay with filling up their Macs' hard drives with hundreds of gigabytes of content they won't be allowed to view there?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #79 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The mythical TV seems to be a deus ex machina these days….
And do you really think people would be okay with filling up their Macs' hard drives with hundreds of gigabytes of content they won't be allowed to view there?

I could have sworn you said "you're not getting DVR functionality out of the current apple tv". Maybe I misread and you said "people aren't going to use their hard drive space".

Whether they make an actual Tv or not isn't the point.

Maybe instead of arguing sometimes, you can simply say- "you're right".

My iMac has 2 TB. I use ~400gb- and that's with 200+ movies on it. SD programming is usually 1gb/hour. So 200gb of space is 200 hours of recording. That same 200 hours is 65 hours of HD recording. My Uverse box allows for 60 hours of HD. Why can your typical iMac not use 200 gigs? Why can I have 200 gigs of movies but not tv shows? Why not use your space wisely and only record 20 hours (66 GB)? And who watches shows on their iMac or MacBook when you have a big screen and ATV hooked up (unless you're traveling with your laptop).

Let's try this- instead of arguing for absolutely no reason- why not actually process what I wrote?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #80 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Maybe instead of arguing sometimes, you can simply say- "you're right".

Let's try this- instead of arguing for absolutely no reason- why not actually process what I wrote?

 

Good luck with that request lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012