or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases

PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases

post #1 of 152
Notebook manufacturers are hopeful that the recent debut of Intel's Ivy Bridge processors, as well as the forthcoming launch of Windows 8, will boost laptop sales and counter the effect of Apple's iPad.

Notebook original design manufacturers who spoke with DigiTimes said although Apple's iPad continues to have strong sales, they believe its negative effect on global notebook sales is declining. They said that's because most tablet-style devices "focus on entertainment rather than working and learning."

The story cites Simon Lin, chairman of Wistron, who said he believes the iPad has created demand for a new market, rather than replacing demand for more traditional notebooks.

Lin believes that a bigger reason for sagging notebook sales is a global recession, which he said has caused consumers to delay notebook purchases. He and others in the Taiwan supply chain are hopeful that demand for notebooks will pick up with the launch of Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge chips, along with Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system.

Sources in the Far East supply chain reportedly indicated that Acer, Asus and Samsung are "optimistic" about notebook sales in the second half of 2012. American-based PC makers Hewlett-Packard and Dell are said to be "neutral."

Sales of the iPad helped Apple become the top PC maker in the world at the end of 2011. In the holiday quarter, Apple sold 15.4 million iPads and 5.2 million Macs, giving it 17 percent of all PC shipments worldwide.
post #2 of 152

Ironically, the iPad might sell more laptops in the long run.

Consumers keep their gear longer than enthusiasts (just think about any computer you've been asked to look at because it's "acting funny").  If they still need* a "real" computer, the iPad's convenience and portability will probably push their once-a-decade computer purchase into the laptop column.

*as with all needs, it's a perceived need, not an actual need

post #3 of 152
PC Makers Grasping At Straws, live in fantasy world.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #4 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Notebook original design manufacturers who spoke with DigiTimes said although Apple's iPad continues to have strong sales, they believe its negative effect on global notebook sales is declining. They said that's because most tablet-style devices "focus on entertainment rather than working and learning."
The story cites Simon Lin, chairman of Wistron, who said he believes the iPad has created demand for a new market, rather than replacing demand for more traditional notebooks.
Lin believes that a bigger reason for sagging notebook sales is a global recession, which he said has caused consumers to delay notebook purchases. He and others in the Taiwan supply chain are hopeful that demand for notebooks will pick up with the launch of Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge chips, along with Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system.
Sources in the Far East supply chain reportedly indicated that Acer, Asus and Samsung are "optimistic" about notebook sales in the second half of 2012. American-based PC makers Hewlett-Packard and Dell are said to be "neutral."

Curiously, Apple's notebook sales have continued increasing while Windows-based notebook sales have declined. Apple's biggest gains in computer sales have been in Asia, so this certainly isn't a US-centric phenomenon.

On top of that, there have been a plethora of articles showing increased use of Macs in enterprise, again indicating that Apple does not seem to be affected by this recession.

Moreover, a huge number of Fortune 500 companies have deployed or are working on deploying iPads to their workforce. Now, that doesn't really sound much like a "focus on entertainment rather than working and learning", does it?

Admittedly this is something the Windows supply chain manufacturers are going to parrot, since there's no good news right now for them. And quarter after quarter, they can watch Apple bust sales records then glumly shut off Bloomberg/MSNBC/CNN/whatever.

post #5 of 152
The MS era is over. PCs are not over but anyone with any sense will buy a Mac. MS Windows always has problems, works inconsistently, utilizes unrest upgrades that wreck your system, and throws all kinds of other misfortune to us users.

We want something that works and is reliable. We want software that we don't have to troubleshoot. The company meeting this need is Apple. After decades of windows headaches I'm using iPad and headed to a MacBook next.

No it's not PCs that are dead, it's MS Windows
post #6 of 152
Quote:

... Lin believes that a bigger reason for sagging notebook sales is a global recession, which he said has caused consumers to delay notebook purchases. ...

Logically, this explanation pretty much has to be either BS or wishful thinking.  

The current "global recession" is very slight compared to almost any other economic slowdown in the last 10 or 20 years.  If it's enough to make people hold off on computer purchases, why haven't any of the larger and more pronounced "recessions" had the same effect?  

It's much more likely that drawdown in laptop demand actually *is* a result of the realisation that most of what people use a laptop for can be done on a smartphone or a tablet.  The popularity of the netbook previous to the introduction of the new touch-based mobile devices is also a strong indicator of people wanting a different kind (smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier) of mobile experience than a laptop can provide, as is the current popularity of the so-called "ultrabook." 

In short, there is way more evidence for the more obvious explanation than there is for this wistful rumination.  

post #7 of 152
I got a new work PC last week with Windows 7. It seems to actually have less functionality than XP.
post #8 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I got a new work PC last week with Windows 7. It seems to actually have less functionality than XP.

Sure that's not just your place of employ locking you down further?

post #9 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newera View Post

The MS era is over. PCs are not over but anyone with any sense will buy a Mac. MS Windows always has problems, works inconsistently, utilizes unrest upgrades that wreck your system, and throws all kinds of other misfortune to us users.
We want something that works and is reliable. We want software that we don't have to troubleshoot. The company meeting this need is Apple. After decades of windows headaches I'm using iPad and headed to a MacBook next.
No it's not PCs that are dead, it's MS Windows

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #10 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

…no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

You're not dreaming, you're completely deluded.

post #11 of 152

There are points that can be argued several different ways on what will affect what. Was battery life and or processing power holding back the sales of laptop pcs to this point in time? Are people waiting for Windows 8 to upgrade, especially since they were burned in the past with upgrading machines they thought would be able to take the new windows system(was it vista?) that really couldn't be upgraded? Are users, outside of the tech crowd, really looking forward to Windows 8? Are they looking for a compatible tablet with the promise of a Surface? Is the tech crowd looking forward to windows 8(I have seen a lot of negativity in print) and are the only ones looking forward to this new system are the MSFT fans? Lots of question without answers until the time arrives.

Some other thing that might influence people's decisions. What will the new iPad look like and what will its functionality be? One other thing that might influence decisions is what happens with the next iPhone? As an Apple investor, I know how I hope things go and I don't think that PC makers will like it. I have a feeling that they know it as well but are afraid to say it out loud.

Neal

post #12 of 152
Quote:

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

You must add the sarcasm tag. If anybody thinks you actually believe what you are saying, they will come to the conclusion, that you are seriously mental.

post #13 of 152

Man oh Man...is that ever a case of wishful thinking. Reminds me of the RIM engineers at the intro of the first iPhone! :(

post #14 of 152

Yes, because my mother-in-law was just telling me the other day how should would have bout a Sony Vaio last year instead of an iPad but was waiting for the Ivy Bridge chipsets to be released. But now she's not sure because Haswell is coming out soo....

Just kidding. No, my mother-in-law, like most consumers, have no idea what a chipset is, let along who makes it, what it's called, or how fast it is. Consumers buy products to do tasks. If they like doing it on the iPad more, then they're going to stick with the iPad.

post #15 of 152

The PC makes have this hilariously wrong.

The people for whom the iPad makes a wonderful, easy to use,  PC REPLACEMENT- are by and large people who would could care less about Intel's CPU releases or Mac/Windows OS releases.

These are the people who wanted all the computing that the iPad provides, but unfortunately didn't exist before 2010.  So they HAD to buy a traditional PC in order to do those things, and got a lot they didn't need in the bargain.  Power users in a lot of fields will require something equivalent to the PC for some time to come- but I think PC makers are going to see that general users are happy to leave that paradigm behind.

post #16 of 152
People have money for iPads, iPhones, and MacBooks; but the economy is the problem for PCs?
MS is pushing their own versions of Ultrabooks and Tablets because they have so much confidence in PC OEMs?
Amazon and Google are hunkering down on Tablets expecting to boom, but not at the expense of cheap low margin PCs?
IPads are consumption only myth is a straw PC community is grasping at, while whole creative forces and apps and interactions are booming?

Hhmm hope, or self deception, springs eternal.
post #17 of 152

Honestly, I got my Ipad 2 years ago and haven't really used my desktop since.  Only really used a computer for email, facebook, surf the web.  My Ipad does this all wonderfully well and it's more enjoyable than a regualar computer.  I have a 5 year old Imac and it's still purring like a kitten.  Only reason I would upgrade is because I don't have full features of icloud because I'm scared to install Lion.  Processor is old and I don't want to slow it down.  May upgrade next year but it's not necessary to spend 1500 on something I barley use right now.  Only reason would be for the new OS and it's feature.  As for as Windows, I'm not sure why anyone would upgrade.  They offer nothing new except a fresh coat of paint.  I wonder if the blue screen of death got a fresh coat... think they said it's a sad face now lolol.  Windows 8 looks like kids play.  Can't even imagine a business using it.  It based around social networks.  May have been better if they just left it for the tablets.  Anyways, the Ipad has def prevented me from updated my computer because I find myself relaying on it less. Windows has it worse because they don't even have an ecosystem.  At least when I do upgrade it's going to be a Mac because I want to keep myself all synced up with no issues.  Good luck Windows....

post #18 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Ironically, the iPad might sell more laptops in the long run.

Consumers keep their gear longer than enthusiasts (just think about any computer you've been asked to look at because it's "acting funny").  If they still need* a "real" computer, the iPad's convenience and portability will probably push their once-a-decade computer purchase into the laptop column.

*as with all needs, it's a perceived need, not an actual need

I suspect that is already happening and the sales are Macs of one flavor or another. Once switchers taste Apple in the form of an iPhone or iPad they very often make the move from Wintel crap to a Mac.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #19 of 152
Quote:

there is no ideal, however, the chance of infections/malware etc is very slight on OS X vs an everyday battle with Windows. Windows 7 is not bad and i prefer some of its features to OS X (like the taskbar vs the dock). But search through your Outlook email and the local drive with Windows? sucks. With spotlight it is amazing. But i don't like the direction OS X has been going with more reboots for safari and itunes etc and a general bloatedness. Also, i wish everyone would just stop using Office and outlook completely. 

as far as 3rd party apps being better or worse that is the software writers fault. of course MS apps are going to be 'better' on MS products. thats by design and they also have their cohorts at other companies doing the same.

post #20 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yes, because my mother-in-law was just telling me the other day how should would have bout a Sony Vaio last year instead of an iPad but was waiting for the Ivy Bridge chipsets to be released. But now she's not sure because Haswell is coming out soo....

Just kidding. No, my mother-in-law, like most consumers, have no idea what a chipset is, let along who makes it, what it's called, or how fast it is. Consumers buy products to do tasks. If they like doing it on the iPad more, then they're going to stick with the iPad.

Haha, had me going thee for a moment ... Yep you are exactly right with the caviat that those that do still need a traditional computer may well switch to Apple once they have experienced the Apple quality and Eco system.
post #21 of 152

My sister had a Windows PC at work, a Windows PC (Dell Laptop) at home, and a Blackberry Bold. She would make frequent remarks about how Macs weren't any good for serious business users, and the iPhone wasn't any good because it didn't have a real keyboard.

Then she changed jobs and everything started to change. She had to turn in her Blackberry to her former employer. The new employer, a university, gave her an iPhone 4. 

After using the iPhone for a couple months, she fell in love with it.  Since it was a business phone, she didn't feel fully comfortable using it for all her personal activities. So she bought an iPad 2. Now she was really hooked. "I love my iPad and I love my iPhone," were her frequent refrains.

After about six months, her HP laptop began to have problems. She was reluctant to ditch Windows because she had all of her financial information and programs there. However, her love for the iPad and iPhone drew her to the Apple retail store 'just to have a look' at the Macs. She walked out with a new MacBook Air 13" computer. I helped her set it up and move her information to Mac programs. She could have run the old programs in Windows in a virtual machine but I thought it better to migrate to new software (mainly the iWorks suite and Quicken Essentials). 

Now she's a bigger Apple fan than me. She really really loves her new MacBook Air and other devices. Along the way, she picked up an Apple TV which she uses constantly, mainly with AirPlay.

Her only complaint is that her work computer is a Dell running XP. She just hates it. So she's come full cycle over a period of about two years.

Edited by davesmall - 6/22/12 at 9:42am
post #22 of 152

Within 3 months of getting an iPad, I sold my almost-new MBP. I will probably always have an iMac, but just have less and less need for it. Of course, my opinion is worthless, but I do see iPads (and maybe other tablets) replacing home PCs in the coming years.

post #23 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

My sister had a Windows PC at work, a Windows PC at home, and a Blackberry Bold. She would make frequent remarks about how Macs weren't any good for serious business users, and the iPhone wasn't any good because it didn't have a real keyboard.

Then she changed jobs and everything started to change. She had to turn in her Blackberry to her former employer. The new employer, a university, gave her an iPhone 4. 

After using the iPhone for a couple months, she fell in love with it.  Since it was a business phone, she didn't feel fully comfortable using it for all her personal activities. So she bought an iPad 2. Now she was really hooked. "I love my iPad and I love my iPhone," were her frequent refrains.

After about six months, her HP laptop began to have problems. She was reluctant to ditch Windows because she had all of her financial information and programs there. However, her love for the iPad and iPhone drew her to the Apple retail store 'just to have a look' at the Macs. She walked out with a new MacBook Air 13" computer. I helped her set it up and move her information to Mac programs. She could have run the old programs in Windows in a virtual machine but I thought it better to migrate to new software (mainly the iWorks suite and Quicken Essentials). 

Now she's a bigger Apple fan than me. She really really loves her new MacBook Air and other devices. Along the way, she picked up an Apple TV which she uses constantly, mainly with AirPlay.

Her only complaint is that her work computer is a Dell running XP. She just hates it. So she's come full cycle over a period of about two years.

the 13" macbook air is the best value out there. period. would love to say otherwise, but, that would be a lie.

post #24 of 152
Quote:

yeah that's why all those Airlines are handing out laptops, those restaurants have their servers carrying netbooks. And have you checked out those nifty netbook POS set ups. Very slick. 

And all those schools that are switching to netbook based text books. I see a new article every 3-4 days about yet another school. And on set, everyone is walking around with a netbook or a notebook. 

Oh wait, no those were all iPads. 

Someone needs to get some therapy because they are seriously in denial about what the iPad can and is being used for. 

Fact is the bulk of consumers don't really a computer because all they are doing is email and a little web browsing. The iPad does that just fine. Some of them might have use for something to back up their stuff to 'just in case' cause they don't have faith in things like iCloud or they have too much stuff and don't want to pay more money. But for many of them, a baseline Mac Mini (or similar) attached to the home TV works just fine. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #25 of 152

Yes delaying than buying a mac so not so much hope for other pc makers here. Apple thinks in long term. They make great products. After users know how a quality device feels like they just won't buy a cheap plastic notebook.

post #26 of 152

And What this says to me...Between this and the 'Surface Announcement', Ultrabooks are dead.

And the logic of...

1) I'll buy a iPad now, and decide later to get a 'WinTel basestation' (Desktop/Laptop) is plausible... If all I need is 'consumer mobility' that works as an explanation

2) Laptops being the replacement basestation for home production, replacing desktop... is also plausible.

3) Windows 8 is coming out in 6 months... delaying some buying decisions as well.

4) Unfortunately, if later is 5 quarters from now,  A lot of OEM CEOs will be looking for work.

BUT all  this presupposes

5) If I buy and iPad now...  I'll likely need a Windows device later.

I don't think this logic follows...  You will see a rapid drop in prices over the holidays to boost consumer sales, further crunching margins.  I see the iPad halo leading to a doubling of consumer US PC sales, driving Apple's PC share above 10%.

And we know that Apple's current 10% is the most lucrative (Over $1000) highest margin PC sales.   If Apple gets the next the $800-1000 range (academic sales, and I figure a new 899 iMac is coming out soon),  You'll be seeing what's happening now in the smart phone market.   Apple  and one other vendor (lenovo?) getting 60+ the profits of all  desktop/laptop sales and the rest, breaking even or worse.

So... my guess is we'll see one big player out of the top 10, get out of PC sales all together (my bet it's HP or Toshiba) in the next 18 months, selling out to Lenovo or Acer,  And Dell a fast follower (look at their profits... they are following RIMM's trajectory)

post #27 of 152

Managers at corporations (like me) tend to be the ones toting iPads to meetings.  They make it easy to check schedules, write notes, refer to documents, and use email or IM.  We still have a laptop at our desks for apps that don't work on the iPad and for serious typing needs.  That list of apps is continuously shrinking though. 

post #28 of 152
Quote:

What are you smoking,   It does not want to give up windows because of job security...    If they install systems that just work, they will be unemployed.  

post #29 of 152
Quote:

I know. Macs suck. That's why my company refuses to use them. I mean we are a serious production company, we are editing major motion picture FX and we need a serious machine.

Oh wait, that's exactly why we are using Macs. And Mac software. There's not a machine in our offices that is running Windows. Not even our server. And it's been that way for the full 8 years the company has existed. Same as many creative houses. Hell you remember those Laptop Hunter Ads for Microsoft. Every one of those was created by a Mac only ad house.  

As for the virus thing, yeah it happens. like once for every 100 million Windows ones. Maybe. I think there's been perhaps 2 actual Mac viruses since Mac OS X came out and both of those were before Tiger (10.4). And perhaps 10 instances of any other kind of malware that was actually Mac based and not something someone got cause they had Windows running in a Virtual machine or boot camp. Or it was a non functioning Windows virus sitting on their computer from some email or such. 

post #30 of 152

Yeah I'm delaying my next purchace,  until the damn things are in stock.... lol.gif

post #31 of 152
Quote:

no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world.

I guess have the wrong mind then. I use as/400, RDP into servers, Citrix receiver, indesign when I help the marketing people and some of us even run autoCAD. I'm attached to active directory and access my file shares and print. So yeah, I am in the wrong mind. In fact, most of our IT department uses Macs. We don't seem to have any issues. Go check yourself...
post #32 of 152
Quote:

Of course IT depts use Windows: job security. drivers, viruses, malware, etc.

What complex application can't be done on a Mac? Office, Adobe CS perform well. Of course you can also boot camp into Windows if you need to run a Windows only program.

post #33 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I guess have the wrong mind then. I use as/400, RDP into servers, Citrix receiver, indesign when I help the marketing people and some of us even run autoCAD. I'm attached to active directory and access my file shares and print. So yeah, I am in the wrong mind. In fact, most of our IT department uses Macs. We don't seem to have any issues. Go check yourself...

IT uses them because they don't feel like fixing crap all day long for themselfs they just work.....  

post #34 of 152
Hope= not knowing where the puck is or where it's going.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #35 of 152

Name 2 crappy OS that microsoft wishes they never released. 

Best version of windows ever released

which was the longest used windows OS and still holds almost half of all running installes

What is the install base of OSX

post #36 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

Yes delaying than buying a mac so not so much hope for other pc makers here. Apple thinks in long term. They make great products. After users know how a quality device feels like they just won't buy a cheap plastic notebook...

...or an expensive, metal MacBook Air clone.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #37 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

What are you smoking,   It does not want to give up windows because of job security...    If they install systems that just work, they will be unemployed.  

thats not true. no one in IT thinks 'gee i will stick with windows and save my job'. properly configured and setup windows machines do 'just work' until you throw malware and users who don't know anything into the mix. macs provide plenty of work for IT too, but you don't have to waste time with machines f'ed up due to viruses/hacks (and that is a LOT of time wasted). the nature of the work changes a little with macs vs windows but there is still problems of some kind or another from time to time.

post #38 of 152

if i didn't have my iPad, i would have bought a MacBook Air months ago. i have been delaying it so long and now i wonder if i need it at all. it seems that the iMac + iPad combination is working quite well.

post #39 of 152
Quote:

Poor little troll.  All that time living under your bridge has affected your vision.  Tell your story to the countless of people I've personally worked with that use Macs in the enterprise.  They must not have gotten your memo.

post #40 of 152
Quote:

Mac corporate sales are increasing at a much higher clip than are Windows sales. More companies are moving, at least partly, to Macs.

"ITIC's survey found that 79% of IT departments say they'll allow more employees to use Macs in 2011, and 82% will increase iPhone integration for e-mail and applications."

"just 7% of companies have at least 250 Macs, though that's up significantly from only 2% in 2008. By 2013, ITIC forecasts that number will jump to 16%."

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/29/technology/apple_enterprise/index.htm

As far as virus's go. There has been one, though it's not exactly a real virus, and it caused no damage. Compare that to the constant threat to Windows, which number in the hundreds to thousands per year.

Be realistic. There have been predictions of major outbreaks on the Mac for years, but it hasn't come to pass.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases