or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
Samsung on Friday began touting a new application called "Easy Phone Sync" that allows users to transfer content from Apple's iOS to a Samsung Galaxy device, and even keeps Android devices up to date with DRM-free iTunes content.

The software allows users to transfer music, videos, podcasts, pictures, contacts and text messages from an iPhone to a Samsung device, like its new flagship Galaxy S III. The application was announced on Friday by Samsung Mobile U.K.

"We're really proud to announce the launch of this new application and can't wait to hear what our new and existing customers think of it," said Simon Stanford, vice president of Telecommunications and Networks at Samsung U.K. "We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content. Easy Phone Sync means people can now enjoy their iTunes content on a Samsung Galaxy phone. What's more is that it's really easy for them to do, and literally takes five minutes to set up."

Samsung's use of a third-party application to transfer data is different from the approach that was taken by now-defunct Palm, which in 2009 made its webOS operating system trick iTunes into thinking a Palm smartphone was actually an iPod. That sparked a back-and-forth battle in which Apple kept blocking webOS from tricking iTunes, and Palm kept issuing webOS updates to re-enable iTunes sync.

However, Samsung's free "Easy Phone Sync" application does allow users to continue using iTunes software on their PC to manage music, videos and podcasts. That means while iTunes won't handle the syncing, the Samsung application will stay up-to-date with iTunes content.

Easy Phone Sync


The new application is another sign of the escalating rivalry between Apple and Samsung. The two companies are involved in a bitter patent dispute that now spans across the world with lawsuits in 10 countries.

The Easy Phone Sync application for Android is available on Google Play and is developed by Media Mushroom. Accompanying applications that work with the Android app are available for both Mac OS X and Windows PCs.
post #2 of 108

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

post #3 of 108

HAHA! Like that's gonna be popular. It's a one way street to the Mac/IOS platform I'm afraid Samsung. The only new traffic you get are people too stupid to know any different (fresh from some crappy symbian phone).

post #4 of 108
Can I take my saved game info from iOS to Android? No? No thanks. Not as if I was going to leave iOS anyways, but Android does have some really nice phones.
post #5 of 108
1. Only applies to the DRM parts
2. Is related to iCloud synch
3. Get a good media service versus gobbling together their new service, goggle service and amazon and Spotify mess
4. Samsung would be better focused on retention and current user satisfaction than iPhone users
post #6 of 108
Really Samsung and i do mean really ...the only reason iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to android and your hardware is because u guy both make crap Now I hope u got and app for that
post #7 of 108

Yeah, that'll really get me to switch. Can't wait.
 

post #8 of 108

Hmmm...It is interesting how Samsung devotes so much time insulting iOS users with their commercials, yet spends time developing tools to lure them to Samsung's platform(We'll ignore the hardware and software copying for the moment). If iOS users are sheep, why do you want them? I mean, Apple, to my knowledge has no Android porting tools.

 

iOS customers are valuable. As highly educated as the tiny base of hard-core Android users, but actually willing to spend money. iOS users are also sticky.

 

I don't think any such tool will be all that successful a lure until Samsung decides to stop insulting these potential customers. When ask why he didn't endorse any candidates, Michael Jordan reputedly said "Republicans buy sneakers too!"  I own two Samsung televisions, but I really cannot see myself buying another Samsung product. According to Samsung, I am a foolish sheep interested only in appearances. I don't give my money to companies that insult me.

post #9 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

HAHA! Like that's gonna be popular. It's a one way street to the Mac/IOS platform I'm afraid Samsung. The only new traffic you get are people too stupid to know any different (fresh from some crappy symbian phone).

 

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

post #10 of 108
Quote:
Simon Stanford, vice president of Telecommunications and Networks at Samsung U.K. "We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content.
Yeah, that's what's been holding them back...
Really...

A bad case of RDF?
Except it has been distorted so only the person having it believes what he is saying and the ability to convince others has been removed.
New name of RDF = Reality Delusional Field
post #11 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

post #12 of 108
I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. I think the Droid model is similar to Win CE in that the destination (phone) appears as just another removable drive - same as my cheap and disposable RCA Perl player.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #13 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. I think the Droid model is similar to Win CE in that the destination (phone) appears as just another removable drive - same as my cheap and disposable RCA Perl player.

Most people will see your post as evidence that it is not the smart people moving from iOS to Android. Enjoy you feeling of superiority. Seek help.
post #14 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

If/when you do, come back and tell us how it worked out for you.

post #15 of 108

Slick Android UI, nice! I especially like the text butting up against the edge of the screen.

 

Both of the iOS-to-Android switchers will appreciate this.

 

P.S. People forget that the “openness” of Android is mainly for the benefit of carriers... and they are not your friend. Want an OS where the carriers and handset makers have the “freedom” to deny you software updates? Android is for you!

 

Meanwhile, what can you do with “open” Android that you can’t do equally well on iOS? Make that list and then compare to another list: what can you do with iOS that you can’t do equally well with Android? (You’ll have to define “well” quite unusually if you plan to switch to Android. App quality is just not the same.)

post #16 of 108
After using an iPhone for 2+ years, I switched to the Galaxy S2.
It's a great phone and I'm glad I did. It does so much more than an iPhone.
If you want to truly compare the two, take a Galaxy home with you. The stores will let you switch back to iPhone if you don't like it.
Making the synch easier will remove an obstacle for a lot of people.. It's a good move. It was a concern of mine but it's really a non-issue, if you know what you are doing.
post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

 

There are a lot of people who had 2 year iPhone 4 contracts that are now coming to an end. I know a few of these people and every one of them has bought either an HTC One X or a Samsung Galaxy S3. People want something fresh. iPhone 4S is not fresh for an iPhone 4 owner, so they are looking elsewhere.

 

Apple has made a critical error in being so conservative in its updates.

post #18 of 108

I'm always very suspicious of people who supposedly have every Apple device under the sun but say how they are so tempted by something else, especially when they bring up the "open" issue.

 

If you like open so much just jailbreak your iPhone and put anything you want on it (and maybe something you don't, like a virus...) Your choice.

post #19 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

 

I'm always very suspicious of people who supposedly have every Apple device under the sun but say how they are so tempted by something else, especially when they bring up the "open" issue.

 

If you like open so much just jailbreak your iPhone and put anything you want on it (and maybe something you don't, like a virus...) Your choice.

post #20 of 108

I love Apple's philosophy and ecosystem, despite occasional irritation.  I have a fantastic Samsung refrigerator, but the piece of crap Samsung air conditioner's compressor died after 6 years (with a replacement cost of $3000).  I'll continue to buy from both companies, but what truly amazes me is the way companies continue to do business with each other (Samsung supplying parts to Apple) with one hand, while donning the boxing glove on the other.

There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
Reply
There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
Reply
post #21 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

I own two Samsung televisions, but I really cannot see myself buying another Samsung product. According to Samsung, I am a foolish sheep interested only in appearances. I don't give my money to companies that insult me.

Same here, have a big Samsung plasma that will be my last. Back to Panasonic for its replacement.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

 

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but I can't help it.  You do realize that your assertion that you have to be "smart" to use an Android device is an assertion that Android is an inferior platform, right?  The genius of the iOS platform is that it's a beautiful combination of simplicity and power.  Is DOS better than Windows because you have to be smart to remember all the cryptic commands?  Is the Apple I better than the iMac because you have to be smart to rig it up to a monitor?

 

Stupid argument.

 

But I'm sure we all appreciate knowing how smart and sophicaticated you are since you found the true path last December.  Thanks thanks for lurking around here to help us more feeble minded individuals see the light.

post #23 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Slick Android UI, nice! I especially like the text butting up against the edge of the screen.

 

I was just going to say: is that seriously the default font and sizing for Android apps?  Ugly as ... looks like Windows 3.0

 

If they put so little effort into the look of it, it doesn't inspire confidence about the syncing side of things.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #24 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

After using an iPhone for 2+ years, I switched to the Galaxy S2.
It's a great phone and I'm glad I did. It does so much more than an iPhone.
If you want to truly compare the two, take a Galaxy home with you. The stores will let you switch back to iPhone if you don't like it.
Making the synch easier will remove an obstacle for a lot of people.. It's a good move. It was a concern of mine but it's really a non-issue, if you know what you are doing.

Take a look at "Liz"'s post history. Wall to wall Galaxy touting and Apple bashing. Why is this probably paid shill (see Amazon Mechanical Turk crowd source jobs) allowed to post here? Go away–you have zero credibility.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

 

There are a lot of people who had 2 year iPhone 4 contracts that are now coming to an end. I know a few of these people and every one of them has bought either an HTC One X or a Samsung Galaxy S3. People want something fresh. iPhone 4S is not fresh for an iPhone 4 owner, so they are looking elsewhere.

 

Apple has made a critical error in being so conservative in its updates.

It depends on what you consider conservative. The iPhone 4S has 2-3 times the CPU power and 7x the GPU power of the iPhone 4 which is a massive increase in performance in one generation. The performance difference between the Galaxy S2 and S3 for example is no where near as much. The iPhone 4S was missing an external redesign which is what people ended up focusing on. With Apple seeming to do major internal redesigns and major external redesigns on alternating years, the iPhone 5 may get a new form factor but only a marginal increase in performance which will no doubt be the new complaint. Admittedly I don't know whether a combined iterative improvement on both the internals and externals each year or an alternating major revamp of the internals and externals is a better strategy.

 

In the case of iPhone 4 owners switching, part of the issue is that Apple changed the regular launch schedule of the new iPhone from June/July to September/October. This means initial June 2010 iPhone 4 buyers are now coming off their 2 year contracts and to stay with iOS either have to wait 3 more months for the iPhone 5 or buy the nearing-replacement iPhone 4S, neither of which are ideal if you are looking for a timely upgrade, which makes switching away from iOS a more viable option.

post #26 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


Same here, have a big Samsung plasma that will be my last. Back to Panasonic for its replacement.

Same here. Heck, my wife's "feature" phone is a Samsung. Also her last. I think I finally got her willing to pay for data!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

buh-bye... see ya 8^)

Yup. I know that the stereotype (only held by Android fans) is that all iPhone users are stupid sheep, but the fact is? We are mostly people who are too busy living life to waste time on managing our phone/computers.  Apple products suit me perfectly. I work all day, I don't want to go home and fiddle with this, check the compatibility of that.

 

I want to know that the video I took on my iPhone can easily appear on my iPad or iMac. The pictures I took on my iPhone? Once I am on WiFi, my wife at home can pull out the iPad or iMac or Apple TV and see them. No configuration necessary. No "I wonder if this will work"

 

These items are meant to make the important things easier. Do their job, and GET OUT OF THE WAY.

 

And, for the most part? That is what Apple products do.

post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

Wow a smartphone user who is too smart to use iPhone.

 

I wonder who is more dumb, one who use a dead end phone which is not upgradable like android or one whose phone can be upgradable all the time like an iPhone. 

post #28 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

 

There are a lot of people who had 2 year iPhone 4 contracts that are now coming to an end. I know a few of these people and every one of them has bought either an HTC One X or a Samsung Galaxy S3. People want something fresh. iPhone 4S is not fresh for an iPhone 4 owner, so they are looking elsewhere.

 

Apple has made a critical error in being so conservative in its updates.

 

"I know a few people."

 

We all know a few people, LOL.  But personal anecdotes aside, we also know about Apple's retention rates. They're nothing to sneeze at. After all, Apple supposedly has a *cult* following. 4 million iPhone 4Ses sold in a single weekend. And it wasn't even really a new phone. Right? RIGHT??  After all, all the trolls said all it had was Siri. Nothing major. 

 

Fast-forward to Apple's last quarter. Even with the iPhone 4S, by then old news, they still managed to achieve the sales they did. 

 

Samsung, by the way: no cult. No lineups

 

So we both know where we can shove our personal anecdotes. My buddies and your buddies are *nothing* in the face of the larger market forces and the trends established by consumers en masse. 

 

And as for MS, they REALLY need a cult following:

 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1392359

 

Now you're learning the extent of Microsoft's outright lameness in consumer tech. Enjoy.  

post #29 of 108

And if you have any trouble, you can just go to the Samsung Genius Bar.

 

...oh, wait.

post #30 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

 

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but I can't help it.  You do realize that your assertion that you have to be "smart" to use an Android device is an assertion that Android is an inferior platform, right?  The genius of the iOS platform is that it's a beautiful combination of simplicity and power.  Is DOS better than Windows because you have to be smart to remember all the cryptic commands?  Is the Apple I better than the iMac because you have to be smart to rig it up to a monitor?

 

Stupid argument.

 

But I'm sure we all appreciate knowing how smart and sophicaticated you are since you found the true path last December.  Thanks thanks for lurking around here to help us more feeble minded individuals see the light.

TOOLTALK IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST TROLLS AROUND.  JUST IGNORE HIM.  OOPS MY CAPSLOCK.

post #31 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

Having said that, most Android users I know still use iTunes, so this program would be useful.

post #32 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

Fairly accurate, but I really think describing the iOS users as dumb and Android users as more sophisticated seems rather rude and inaccurate. Many iOS users probably are less technologically skilled, but that hardly makes them less intelligent.

post #33 of 108

Native Group Text.  That is all.

post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. 

 

The exact opposite is true. Android is a smartphone for people who are technically inept and people who are poor. The vast majority of Android users are using some junky, outdated version of Android on an already obsolete phone. Do these people even know what an OS is? I highly doubt that. Android users are also less likely to use certain features of their phone, such as web access. Android phones are attractive to people who have been using dumb phones for their entire life and people who just don't have a lot of money in their pockets. People who demand the best, such as myself, use iOS, which offers the most professional features targeted towards demanding users. 

 

Anybody who is smart already is on iOS. 

post #35 of 108

Its like going from Formula 1 to Formula 2 ...

 

 

A tool made by tool...for tools.

post #36 of 108
1) Anyone have a screenshot of the OS X and Win apps?

2) While it's unlikely to seat iPhone users and looks to be a half arsed attempt as it doesn't look built-in I think Apple should be watching this closely because it is inching closer to the one thing Apple has have since the original iPod that has been the key to their ability to ease users onto and between devices: iTunes. Despite all the copying this is the one piece that seems to have been ignored except for poor versions that have rudimentary and incomplete syncing and backup capabilities.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

I hope Apple doesn't get that cocky; there are divergent needs afoot, and I am sure some people want a 3" screen as much as others want 5", and neither party will be satisfied by 4". It is a sad reason to leave the ecosystem, but if you factor it into your costs you may still come out ahead.
post #38 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. I think the Droid model is similar to Win CE in that the destination (phone) appears as just another removable drive - same as my cheap and disposable RCA Perl player.

yes it does see it as another drive allowing one to directly install media onto the sd card, you can also use doubletwist, its very itunes-esque
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post


I hope Apple doesn't get that cocky; there are divergent needs afoot, and I am sure some people want a 3" screen as much as others want 5", and neither party will be satisfied by 4". It is a sad reason to leave the ecosystem, but if you factor it into your costs you may still come out ahead.


The much reported 4" screen on the next iPhone may be a happy compromise?

post #40 of 108
Wow brilliant! Now all those Apple haters can switch from iPhones to Android ... oh wait a minute ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy