or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy

Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy - Page 2

post #41 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow brilliant! Now all those Apple haters can switch from iPhones to Android ... oh wait a minute ...

LOL. 

post #42 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. ...

If you read the article you will see that it only transfers the non-DRMed content.  

You can transfer that stuff any old time using any one of a hundred different methods/applications. 

post #43 of 108
I did exactly the same about 8 months ago switching from my iPhone to Galaxy S2 n thought its will provide me not all but at least quite similar great experience as what on IOS device. Unfortunately that not all true as what I expected, It basically just a basic cheap phone with a large display plus a few gimmick e.g. Live wallpaper n some free apps with tons of ads that really annoyed me. Beside, the overall quality of hardware is sub standard in comparison to iPhone (guess because it cheaper) n I can't wait to get my hand on new iPhone again when it release some time in Sep or Oct.
post #44 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post

Same here. Heck, my wife's "feature" phone is a Samsung. Also her last. I think I finally got her willing to pay for data!

Yup. I know that the stereotype (only held by Android fans) is that all iPhone users are stupid sheep, but the fact is? We are mostly people who are too busy living life to waste time on managing our phone/computers.  Apple products suit me perfectly. I work all day, I don't want to go home and fiddle with this, check the compatibility of that.

I want to know that the video I took on my iPhone can easily appear on my iPad or iMac. The pictures I took on my iPhone? Once I am on WiFi, my wife at home can pull out the iPad or iMac or Apple TV and see them. No configuration necessary. No "I wonder if this will work"

These items are meant to make the important things easier. Do their job, and GET OUT OF THE WAY.

And, for the most part? That is what Apple products do.

Great point. I, The Eternal Emperor, for example an a professional software developer of over 17yrs. I have expertise primarily in Java, but also have worked in C/C++, C#, a several scripting languages, several RDBMS(Oracle, DB2,SQL Server, Postgress, Hypersonic), several frameworks, multiple OS(primarily Windows and several Unix flavors(SunOS,Solaris,HPUX,Aix,Linux(keeps going...))

My main bread and butter uses open source like Spring, Hibernate, tomcate, Quartz, etc. Why iOS? My time is too valuable to futz around with my phone. I get enough of that with my window 7 dev box. I want something that works well, painlessly for my wife, my kids and me. I don't want to worry that my banking app is a trojan and have a need to run AV on my one.

Apple just works. My only real complain is my AppleTV doesn't work as well because I have two wi-fi networks(long story). But it does work. I simply don't see Samsung as compelling. As a developer, I find their copying blatant and distasteful.

I'm not married to Apple and would leave in the fact of something better. But what's better. What integrates better than an iPhone, iPad and Apple TV? And it works well enough on Windows that I can keep my main work and home machine as the same machine. Heck, OSX is even Unix!!

I find that people who talk about rooting don't value their time. What's difference between a guy who can root a phone and the guy who mows my lawn? I pay the guy who mows. No one values the skill of rooting. It is a near useless skill mentioned by braggarts, IMO, who are insecure about their own talents.

post #45 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTSTA View Post

I did exactly the same about 8 months ago switching from my iPhone to Galaxy S2 n thought its will provide me not all but at least quite similar great experience as what on IOS device. Unfortunately that not all true as what I expected, It basically just a basic cheap phone with a large display plus a few gimmick e.g. Live wallpaper n some free apps with tons of ads that really annoyed me. Beside, the overall quality of hardware is sub standard in comparison to iPhone (guess because it cheaper) n I can't wait to get my hand on new iPhone again when it release some time in Sep or Oct.

Looks like you're on-board for an iPhone 5. In light of iPhone release history, it's usually the full-numbered,

non-S versions that are the big platform upgrades, or at least the "next gen" of the device.

I've avoided the "S" variants, great as they were. I happily hung on to my device for an extra year,

all the while getting great updates for it, essentially rendering it a new phone each time.

It looks like my iPhone 4 will never see iOS 6, because by that time I'll have sprung for the new iPhone. 

post #46 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Most people will see your post as evidence that it is not the smart people moving from iOS to Android. Enjoy you feeling of superiority. Seek help.

I don't understand your reaction, especially since I am not in the group of people you're denigrating. Am I stupid for wanting access to my music on all my devices? I had non-apple products before I got my iPhones, iMac, iPod, and Apple TV. Rather than manually converting everything to mp3 duplicates (or needlessly buying additional iPods), this could be a real time saver if it works for any device that is seen as a removable drive, so I don't have to take my $120 moisture intolerant iPod on runs.

Your attitude reinforces the notion that Apple fans are intolerant, nasty, and insular.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #47 of 108

I would think iOS users switching to Samsung would be rarer than a three fingered Martian with a purple nose.

post #48 of 108
I have an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy Nexus - don't sweat the small stuff fanboys.

post #49 of 108

Congratulations to Samsung on watching the 2002 Apple WWDC and 'innovating' iSync, a piece of software created by Apple ten entire years ago for mobile phones in general.

It doesn't matter whether you do hardware or software: You guys rock!

(Does the Samsung transfer tool include a gun so I can shoot myself in the head for being so stupid to swap to them?)

Edited by GTR - 6/22/12 at 2:54pm
post #50 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

Ah, I see you are enjoying the latest "whine de jour" complaint of the Android spivs.

First it was the keyboard.

The camera.

The lack of MMS.

The screen is too big.

Video calls.

And many other whining, ineffective complaints over the years.

The annoyance with the SG III's excessive screen size starts during one handed set up when one of the steps may involve stretching one's thumb to the top left corner of the screen, this involves a sort of juggling, sliding movement to get your thumb close enough.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #51 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"this involves a sort of juggling, sliding movement to get your thumb close enough."

I believe the technical term for this is 'jacking off'.

post #52 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

It depends on what you consider conservative. The iPhone 4S has 2-3 times the CPU power and 7x the GPU power of the iPhone 4 which is a massive increase in performance in one generation. The performance difference between the Galaxy S2 and S3 for example is no where near as much. The iPhone 4S was missing an external redesign which is what people ended up focusing on. With Apple seeming to do major internal redesigns and major external redesigns on alternating years, the iPhone 5 may get a new form factor but only a marginal increase in performance which will no doubt be the new complaint. Admittedly I don't know whether a combined iterative improvement on both the internals and externals each year or an alternating major revamp of the internals and externals is a better strategy.

In the case of iPhone 4 owners switching, part of the issue is that Apple changed the regular launch schedule of the new iPhone from June/July to September/October. This means initial June 2010 iPhone 4 buyers are now coming off their 2 year contracts and to stay with iOS either have to wait 3 more months for the iPhone 5 or buy the nearing-replacement iPhone 4S, neither of which are ideal if you are looking for a timely upgrade, which makes switching away from iOS a more viable option.

"Conservative" meaning it doesn't come in hot pink.

post #53 of 108

To get Apple users to switch to Galaxy, Sam-Sux must:

1. Get rid of the cheap plastic material and make the body of the phone look and feel expensive, like Apple.

2. Make phone's user interface look more gorgeous, like Apple.

3. Let users re-download previously purchased apps on any device, like Apple.

However, Sam-Sux only cares about bringing manufacturing costs down to increase their margin, the above three things will never happen. You can expect their upcoming Windows 8 phones to feel the same or worse than the current android devices because Sam-Sux will have to pay for the OS, driving their manufacturing costs even higher.

post #54 of 108
Quote:

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

What a total crock of BS! Funny how the trolls work their way in! By and large, iPhone users are wealthier, better educated and smarter than Android users. How smart can you possibly be when the majority of Android users buy a phone that is already obsolete and running an old version of the OS before they even walk out of the store?
post #55 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

The larger screen of the Samsung Galaxy S3 has lower resolution, horrible compliance with the Standard Color Gamut and poor visibility in direct sunlight.

The "openness" of Android provides few advantages to users, in fact, the openness of Android provides many disadvantages to users. Why sacrifice efficient power management, reliability, security and privacy as well as software updates for themes and wallpapers?

I am not sure why you believe the Samsung Galaxy S3 camera is superior to iPhone 4S. The new iPhone will likely be superior to iPhone 4S which already rivals (if it is not superior even) to Samsung Galaxy S3.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/22/12 at 3:38pm
post #56 of 108
Quote:

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

You are stating that Apple iPhone users are stupid.

What does it say about you that you don't even know the screen size of the three Apple iPhones you supposedly had until December? This suggests to me that you may have misidentified the smart users.
post #57 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The larger screen of the Samsung Galaxy S3 has lower resolution, horrible compliance with the Standard Color Gamut and poor visibility in direct sunlight.

Where did you read it had poor visibility in direct light? Anandtech has a few words on the display here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/7

melior diabolus quem scies
post #58 of 108
Quote:

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. 

How would Android users be "smarter"?

You mean "smarter" in general (i.e., Professionals with advanced degrees, scholars, lawyers, doctors) or "tech nerds" that like to f*ck with the settings morning noon and night?

(Seems it's usually the latter.)

God bless 'em, some of the smartest people in communities around the world aren't "computer savvy." They'd prefer their tech to actually do most of the work for them, so they can get on with doing REAL work, like litigating cases, performing surgeries, writing books, making music, or any of the other things that require tech to be the TOOL, not the end unto itself. 

We can play this game all day. 

http://blog.hunch.com/?p=51781    (http://macdailynews.com/2011/08/16/iphone-users-smarter-richer-less-conservative-than-android-phone-users/)

http://blog.iqelite.com/2010/10/01/it-is-finally-proven-apple-users-are-more-intelligent-than-pc-users-2/

and so on . . .

post #59 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

P.S. People forget that the “openness” of Android is mainly for the benefit of carriers... and they are not your friend. Want an OS where the carriers and handset makers have the “freedom” to deny you software updates? Android is for you!

This. Two years ago I switched from iPhone 3GS to an htc evo...not so much for android, but being a bit older and a trifocals wearer, I wanted to test if a bigger screen would be easier. It was...but here I am with a phone not quite 2 full years old (from actual release), and there will be no more os updates, to include ice cream sandwich. So top of the line android phone, no more updates. Please, apple, give us a decent size screen on next iPhone. BTW, those that think it takes a phd to run an android phone are clearly deluding themselves....
post #60 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you read the article you will see that it only transfers the non-DRMed content.
Not a problem since the Galaxy will not play any content from iTunes containing DRM.
post #61 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If the next iPhone doesn't hit at least 4" at a minimum, I will be using this app to transfer my iPhone 4s info to a new Samsung Galaxy SIII. I love everything about my iPhone except for the tiny screen. I switched from an Evo which had only a 4.3" and I really miss that screen. Even 4" is a tad small for my taste, but I could live with that, but 3.5" is just far too small. 

Maybe the next iPad will be able to make calls too then you'd really be happy ... hehe
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #62 of 108

It's probably time for a little David Pogue interlude...

He makes some good observations.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/hate-mail-and-the-new-religious-wars-in-tech/

post #63 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Slick Android UI, nice! I especially like the text butting up against the edge of the screen.

That's what I was going to say. That UI is hideous. If Google and Android OEMs want to take users from iOS then they urgently need to raise their designer:developer ratios. Whenever I see a piece of Android UI, it looks like it was designed carelessly and just not thought through.

post #64 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

To get Apple users to switch to Galaxy, Sam-Sux must:

1. Get rid of the cheap plastic material and make the body of the phone look and feel expensive, like Apple.
2. Make phone's user interface look more gorgeous, like Apple.
3. Let users re-download previously purchased apps on any device, like Apple.

However, Sam-Sux only cares about bringing manufacturing costs down to increase their margin, the above three things will never happen. You can expect their upcoming Windows 8 phones to feel the same or worse than the current android devices because Sam-Sux will have to pay for the OS, driving their manufacturing costs even higher.

1. The iPhone 3G/3GS both had cheap plastic

2. Samsung's TouchWiz UI looks very much like iOS.

3.And all previously purchased apps automatically install themselves when the phone is activated.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #65 of 108

edited away

post #66 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well, your username says it all !

Doesn't it just.

post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

HAHA! Like that's gonna be popular. It's a one way street to the Mac/IOS platform I'm afraid Samsung. The only new traffic you get are people too stupid to know any different (fresh from some crappy symbian phone).

My parents got iphones and then switched to android a while back so they could get back on the verizon network.  They hate their phones and are counting down the months to be able to get iphones again.

post #68 of 108
iOS / Mac is for people smart enough to use their intellect to get things done, vs. wasting it just getting things set up. The rest is nerd mantra.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #69 of 108

So true. Just for kicks, I occasionally play with the latest Android smartphones and tablets at a local Best Buy and Staples. Even if the hardware show some promise, the software implementation simply kills it. Bloatware, nonsensical placement of UI and overall crap pretty much guarantees a puke session.

There is a saying that taste is acquired. Apparently, Android never acquired it. But what am I saying! These devices are produced by the same soulless PC vendors that hope you hate your current device so much that you will gladly upgrade to the new version of the same crap. Only to find out a month later that it still crap and a newer, shinier version that just came out. With that mindset, the consumer will always be screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTSTA View Post

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #70 of 108

nothing to add.

post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

I'm an iPhone user (since the 3) that is switching to the Galaxy III next week. I'm getting it for the 4G - something the iPhone should have had already. Perhaps I'll come back to the iPhone 5 or 6 if they've significantly improved their specs. Sure I like the Apple ecosystem - everyone in our house has iPads (all versions, 4 people), I use Macbooks and also an iMac, and am waiting for a refreshed Mac Pro. But, for some of us who use data a lot on the go, 4G has become a minimum standard. My iPhone 4 is a total dog on 3G. In summary, here's a long-time iPhone user that is ditching to get the Galaxy simply to get network speed. I don't leave without knowing that the Android experience is junky even without iOS as a foil.
post #72 of 108

This syncs contacts but not calendar? Have I missed the calendar part? How could it access one but not the other?

I have and like to use multiple devices, on different platforms. If there were a way to sync iCloud data to these instead of Google contacts and calendar I would be a happy man, as it is I have to use Google services as it's the only cross platform solution.

post #73 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

I would not normally recommend IPhone. But, I am not sure moving to a Galaxy would work for you as you are surrounded by family members with iPhones. In my experience, bluetoothing between Apple and non-Apple did not work (maybe Apple blocked non-Apple). I can teather my Galaxy Nexus as a Wifi hotspot on 3g and use my IPad 2 (wifi version) on the go, but probably Apple 3g teathering is not comparable with non-Apple. I think, there would be some more comparability issues between Apple and non-Apple.

Maybe iPhone 5(6)? (of course only if it comes out with 4+inch screen)
post #74 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If the next iPhone doesn't hit at least 4" at a minimum, I will be using this app to transfer my iPhone 4s info to a new Samsung Galaxy SIII. I love everything about my iPhone except for the tiny screen. I switched from an Evo which had only a 4.3" and I really miss that screen. Even 4" is a tad small for my taste, but I could live with that, but 3.5" is just far too small. 

The HTC One X has a faster quad core processor, higher resolution screen that doesn't skimp on the sub-pixels, beats audio and costs less.

HTC Sync also does the same thing minus Samsung's marketing hype i.e. promoting stories like the one this article is about.
post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

...but probably Apple 3g teathering [sic] is not comparable with non-Apple. I think, there would be some more comparability issues between Apple and non-Apple.

It works as a wifi hotspot, anything with wifi that can detect it and enter a password can use it.

I've done it with dozens of handsets and tablets.

(The screen size whine de jour, again, they seem to be hitting it hard, there mustn't be much left in the "Astroturfer's guide to iOS".)
post #76 of 108
Quote:
We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content.

I'm not sure what's funnier about this. The fact that Samsung think that iPhone users even consider switching to Android, or that they think we enjoy using iTunes.
post #77 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lizard View Post

Quote:
We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content.
I'm not sure what's funnier about this. The fact that Samsung think that iPhone users even consider switching to Android, or that they think we enjoy using iTunes.

! LOL !

post #78 of 108
Sorry, "Robin", I'm not associated with Samsung (or any other electonics company).
I despise group-think, and there is so much among Apple's customers as evidenced here.

Just think, if people were honest with themselves and though for themselves they would get better products- regardless of which company they patronize.

I made a switch to Galaxy after giving it a free and fair shot. That's all. Don't you wonder what you are missing? Even screen navigation is easier on my S2. That's not to mention the larger screen.
Apple may provide good customer service but it really does not listen to its customers.

Why are you so fanatical about Apple products and unwilling to criticize, "Robin", unless you have a ve$ted interest in Apple.
post #79 of 108
I switched from iPhone to Samsung.
The Samsung UI is fine. Sure, takes a few days of getting rid of the old iOS habits. But then, anytime you venture outside something is different. For most of us.
post #80 of 108
You don't have to hate something to realize another product is worth a try and, possibly buying.
Think different. Not here, I guess.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy