or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy

Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy - Page 3

post #81 of 108
To all of you bashing Samsung:
Show receipts proving you have used a Samsung product beyond five minutes at Radio Shack while waiting for your mom to drive you home.
Then you can provide some informed opinions.
I used an iPhone for nearly three years. I've switched to a Galaxy s2 and it's great.
I have the proof.
Apple is like a cult. If you have faith you will believe anything w/o question.
post #82 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

I used an iPhone for nearly three years. I've switched to a Galaxy s2 and it's great.
I have the proof.
You don't have any proof, you just an opinion. Now you can say it's an undeniable truth that you find the Galaxy S2 a better fit for your needs over the iPhone and no can reasonably argue with you but the reasons you find it better are your opinions and do not in any way equate to a truth about the products themselves.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

So true. Just for kicks, I occasionally [do something that] pretty much guarantees a puke session.

There is a saying that taste is acquired.

There is a joke here somewhere.

post #84 of 108
Quote:
Multiple posts of reasonable sounding loads of shit that sound as if they were directly copied out of a sales brochure

I ain't buying it, to the astroturfer block list you go.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #85 of 108
Once I can get back to an iPhone, the only thing I'll be missing is android os companies intentionally not letting me upgrade my os in an attempt to force me to move to a new android phone. Backfired completely, as that pushes me directly back to Apple and iPhone iOS so I won't be 2+ years behind.
post #86 of 108
I am a Mac user. Own a MacBook, iPad2, an iPod Mini. Have happily owned an iphone 3g, 3gs, and up until 4 months ago, an iPhone 4. I switched to an AT&T Galaxy S2. Why? Primarily because of the 4.3" screen. My 45-yr-old eyes need reader glasses for small print. Sorry, but the larger screen really makes a difference.

Now, which I prefer? Well, on the whole, I'd say iOS is the superior platform. The attention to detail, easy to use interface, Integration with other Apple products, app store and stringent design specs for apps make iOS practically trouble-free and easy to use. But I think the biggest advantage is lack of interference from the carriers. An iPhone is an iPhone, no matter what carrier you are on or which version you are using. No bloatware, custom logos or interface tampering. Which means OS updates roll out for everone at the same time, even to a 2yr old 3GS. This is a big Achilles heel for Android. The problem with Android isn't the OS, rather the carrier's meddling. I actually learned how to root the phone for the sole purpose of removing the AT&T apps and updating the OS (which I'm glad I did). Prob spent a couple of evenings to do so, wasn't novice-easy, but wasnt terribly difficult either.

The S2 (and Android) does have its positives, if you are willing to work a bit. I've always used Google's services, so setting up my S2 was as easy as entering my account info during setup. Homescreen widgets are another. I like having a weather, calander, and to-do widget on my Homescreen. My most important info looking at me as I turn the phone on, don't have to open a single app. The stock apps can be replaced too. Don't like the SMS app? Download another! Same with web browsers, media players, even the onscreen keyboard! But unlike iOS I can make the apps I download the default apps. Safari and Mail are fine apps, but you can't replace them. iOS will always call them up when needed. And my S2 can sync to iTunes over wifi just fine, with the help of the iSyncr app. I can also easily download from Amazon mp3, then upload my purchases to the desktop where it syncs with iTunes. Try that with iOS. Did you know there is a Remote app for Android? Works just as well as its iOS counterpart. And so on... I do like this S2.

But at the end of the day, I'm really hoping the rumors are true about the 4" iPhone 5. My eyes would love it, and I'd switch back. The simple ease of use is unbeatable. Though I would definitely miss my widgets :-)
post #87 of 108

Wow, I've been reading all these comments from IPhone fanboys and I just had to comment. The amount of misinformation is astounding.

My favorite comment that I keep reading is "It just works". What does that even mean? Can any of you guys come up with a specific case in which IPhone "Just Works", but Android doesn't? I can understand the fluidity arguement, up until you compare fluidity to the Galaxy S3, which is on-par with IPhone.

I know people are going to say that all Android apps force close and they're buggy, and that's a bunch of malarky. The Google Play store has been updated where developers now have more control over and can target a specific OS version. So If I'm using Gingerbread, but an app is developed for ICS, it won't even show up for me to download on the Play Store.

Someone replied to a post about Android users being smarter with a link to an article (From MacDaily, big shocker) where they showed how IPhone users are more intelligent, and they showed a bunch of more likely or least likely scenarios based on their data. A few things caught my attention. IPhone users more likely to be early adopters 50%. What this tells me is the next best IPhone that comes out you guys scoop up. This means you're up in the latest tech for your product. Android on the other hand has many devices ranging from High end to Low end smartphones. What ends up happening is you have people that buy either prepaid phones or low end phones. These are your average joes that just want to have a decent phone to play games here and there and are not all up on technology. It is also a well known fact that IPhone is for the ones that can afford it, and has a level of "prestige" to it. However in terms of tech savy individuals, I don't think IPhone users in general are the tech savy crowd, and infact, the phone is specifically designed for the non-tech savy, which is it's selling point. The it just works arguement happens when non-tech savy IPhone users get tired of the high price tag and try to go to Android expecting to click on the little "Music" icon and finding any song they want. Instead, you have to actually go to the Play store and find the music, or choose Amazon MP3's, or other services which are to your likeing (Freedom of choice is good regardless of what you fanboys say). This extra step, while tech savy individuals fully understand and can grasp this concept, it coinsidentally escapes the mind of the non-tech savy Apple user and in turn they immediately go back to Apple's spoon fed world.

It's important to understand the "prestige" of Blackberry was it's simplicity and it's high dollar price tag, as we can see, it can only get you so far. Technology is moving quickly and even if you fanboys can't see it in your little Apple Insider, IPhone is about 2 generations behind current technology, both in terms of functionality and hardware. IPhone 5 will be no different, it will do minor improvements that will wow you guys, but obviously the rest of the tech world will know it's just going to play catch up to Android (And will soon be playing catchup to Windows Phone 8 given the leaps in functionality they are accomplishing in such short period of time). Hell, even Blackberry's new BB10 has a sexy UI, if only it had a better catalog of apps.

post #88 of 108
Quote:

Show receipts proving you have used a Samsung product beyond five minutes at Radio Shack while waiting for your mom to drive you home.
I have the proof.
Apple is like a cult. If you have faith you will believe anything w/o question.

I've have used a Samsung Galaxy SII for more than five minutes and, although I do admit that to waiting for LizSandford's mum to drive me home when I checked it out, I believe my opinion still merits consideration.

It replicates the basic functionality of an iPhone, without any of the refinement.

"I used an iPhone for nearly three years. I've switched to a Galaxy s2 and it's great.
I have the proof.

So, Liz, basically you're saying that you have no taste, and that you have proof?

That's great for you.

Keep it up.

Right up.

Edited by GTR - 6/24/12 at 6:02am
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
post #89 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I've have used a Samsung Galaxy SII for more than five minutes and, although I do admit that to waiting for LizSandford's mum to drive me home when I checked it out, I believe my opinion still merits consideration.

It replicates the basic functionality of an iPhone, without any of the refinement.

"I used an iPhone for nearly three years. I've switched to a Galaxy s2 and it's great.
I have the proof.

So, Liz, basically you're saying that you have no taste, and that you have proof?

That's great for you.

Keep it up.

Right up.

The ignorance of some of the posters on here is unbelievable. I mean that in all definitions of the word ignorance.

Leave the personal crap out of it, make our point, if you're able. An insult does not equate to an argument.

post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterhp View Post

I know people are going to say that all Android apps force close and they're buggy, and that's a bunch of malarky. The Google Play store has been updated where developers now have more control over and can target a specific OS version. So If I'm using Gingerbread, but an app is developed for ICS, it won't even show up for me to download on the Play Store.

Therein lies the rub. WHY can I not get ICS on my less than 2 year old (from actual release) EVO? Because Android is the most fragmented idea known to man. It is because Android is so fragmented that I will be forced to go back to iPhone, where I can have the same options of everyone using my OS. Fanboy has nothing to do with it...I have devices across the spectrum (windows, Mac, android, apple, dell, hp, etc)...and when I buy a device, I expect it to stay relevant for more than two years. Example...I bought a top of the line laptop two years ago. If I could not keep windows 7 updated past today, I would be a little ticked. So, if my top of the line Android smart phone from two years ago can no longer be updated, it is pretty good evidence of what is wrong with Android. Seems to me you might be the fanboy in this argument since you are unwilling to admit Andoird's biggest flaw...
post #91 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecGT View Post

Therein lies the rub. WHY can I not get ICS on my less than 2 year old (from actual release) EVO? Because Android is the most fragmented idea known to man. It is because Android is so fragmented that I will be forced to go back to iPhone, where I can have the same options of everyone using my OS. Fanboy has nothing to do with it...I have devices across the spectrum (windows, Mac, android, apple, dell, hp, etc)...and when I buy a device, I expect it to stay relevant for more than two years. Example...I bought a top of the line laptop two years ago. If I could not keep windows 7 updated past today, I would be a little ticked. So, if my top of the line Android smart phone from two years ago can no longer be updated, it is pretty good evidence of what is wrong with Android. Seems to me you might be the fanboy in this argument since you are unwilling to admit Andoird's biggest flaw...

Which EVO and carrier?

EDIT: I noticed you're viewing the thread but not answering. You do personally have an HTC Evo, correct?

Edited by Gatorguy - 6/24/12 at 9:09am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #92 of 108

Perhaps there are some who visit here that do own an HTC handset (or simply wish to know what the facts are) and think they've been left out of updates. Fear not, as it appears most of the better HTC handsets released over the past couple of years are on the schedule to receive Android 4.x.

http://www.htc.com/www/help/android4faq/?cid=android4blog

post #93 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Perhaps there are some who visit here that do own an HTC handset (or simply wish to know what the facts are) and think they've been left out of updates. Fear not, as it appears most of the better HTC handsets released over the past couple of years are on the schedule to receive Android 4.x.

That's the most clear and concise list I've seen from an Android-based vendor.

post #94 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's the most clear and concise list I've seen from an Android-based vendor.

I agree. Here's Samsung's list in comparison

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755

Then there's Motorola:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

post #95 of 108

While I consider myself an Apple "fanboy", I will admit windows as well as non-apple phones are starting to catch up and in some cases pass the functionality of Apple products. However what people don't always understand is when you buy an Apple product, you are dealing with a better COMPANY. The way Apple is run, they truly care about the consumer. Any problem, go to the genius', if you don't live near an Apple Store, call Apple Care. They will help you out with the problems you have, and some you did't realize you had. Customer service is probably the main reason I have ZERO intention of leaving Apple products.

post #96 of 108
Incredible concept, some Android-based "smartphones" may be upgraded at some time in the future despite having one week left to meet their self-proclaimed deadline (in some instances) for a operating system which is already eight months old. Huzzah!

Apple has an almost unbelievably high customer retention rate of 89% which is the result of (1):
  • Apple customer satisfaction for iPhone 4S which is rated at an insanely high 96% satisfaction rate (2) and;
  • Apple hardware receiving software updates the same day as released with high adoption rates almost immediately (3) and;
  • Apple iPhone hardware competitive performance-wise with competitor products that have 150% greater CPU clock speeds and 200% more RAM (4) and;
  • Apple's best-in-class smartphone reliability (5) and;
  • Apple iCloud free mail, calendars and contacts and;
  • Apple iCloud 5 GB free storage which enables bookmarks, calendars, contacts, data & document, email, notes, to-do lists synchronization across devices and platforms and;
  • Apple iTunes offering premium apps (the top 100 paid apps) at a lower cost than Google Play (the top 100 paid apps) (6) and;
  • Apple privacy and security as evidenced by only two significantly successful malware threats in the last ten years (MacDefender and Flashback) across their entire product line and;
  • Apple iCloud seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, TV shows in the cloud and;
  • Apple iTunes seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, and TV shows between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows and;
  • Apple iTunes in the Cloud provides free, unlimited perpetual storage and access on-demand to the entire catalog of purchased movies, music and TV shows and;
  • Apple's market leading ecosystem with:

• 28 million DRM-free songs worldwide (many encoded as 256 kbit/s AAC)
  • 1,000,000+ podcasts (USA)
  • 40,000+ music videos (USA)
  • 3,000+ TV shows (USA)
  • 20,000+ audiobooks (USA)
  • 2,500+ movies (USA)
  • 725,700 App Store Apps with more than 25 billion downloads
  • Apple has more than 70% of the market share for digital music downloads

1. Neil Hughes. Published September 22, 2011. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/22/apples_iphone_has_89_retention_rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html. Apple Insider. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
2. Unattributed. Published December 1, 2011.http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/01/iphone_4s_is_apples_most_popular_phone_yet_with_96_satisfaction_rate.html. Apple Insider. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
3. Josh Ong. Published November, 8, 2011. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/08/ios_5_adoption_on_iphone_nears_38_but_ipod_touch_lags_behind_at_12.html. Apple Insider. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
4. Anand Lal Shimpi and Brian Klug. Published October 31, 2011. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon/4. Anandtech. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
5. Austin Sands and Vince Tseng. Published November 3, 2010. http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10. Square Trade. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
6. Michelle Maisto. Published February 24, 2012. http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-Apps-Are-Cheaper-than-Android-Report-321632/. eWeek. Retrieved June 24, 2012.

TLDR:

Apple has best-in-class customer satisfaction, best-in-class customer service, best-in-class ecosystem, best-in-class software update adoption rates, best-in-class smartphone performance for at least six months following release of new hardware and, best-in-class smartphone reliability. These key indicators along with easy-to-configure integration and synchronization; a responsive (low latency), intuitive user interface (skeumorphic design) and; strict design principles are the definition of "It Just Works."
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/24/12 at 11:42am
post #97 of 108
Quote:

I've got a HTC Cha Cha, a Galaxy Nexus, an LG Optimus something and a couple of others floating around the house,

The Nexus is the only one with ICS and one of the three updates it's received so far messed it up pretty bad so it couldn't make calls.

post #98 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I've got a HTC Cha Cha, a Galaxy Nexus, an LG Optimus something and a couple of others floating around the house,

The Nexus is the only one with ICS and one of the three updates it's received so far messed it up pretty bad so it couldn't make calls.

With all the devices you have at your disposal as a retailer of smartphones, why would you bother with either the low-end bargain-basement Cha-Cha (2.6" display?? Really??) or Optimus? You really think OS updates were at the top of the most-desired list by purchaser's of those phones? I doubt those still buying 3GS iPhones expect all the latest OS features from Apple either.

post #99 of 108
Quote:

Which EVO and carrier?

EDIT: I noticed you're viewing the thread but not answering. You do personally have an HTC Evo, correct?

Sorry, stay logged in when off doing other things so though it shows viewing, not always. Yes, my wife and I both moved to evo 4g when they first came out...July 2010. That was after both using iPhone 1, then iPhone 3GS. We are now on sprint, and actually paid a bit of an ETF when we switched to EVO. You will notice on the list, original EVO 4g not there. If the 4g+ is supposed to be the original EVO 4g, which I'm pretty sure it's not, here we are at 24 jun and no update.

BTW, I find it it rather depressing that folks think that just because some of us aren't glued to our computers 24/7 and following forum posts post by post, that somehow we are being dishonest or deceitful.
post #100 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecGT View Post

Sorry, stay logged in when off doing other things so though it shows viewing, not always...
BTW, I find it it rather depressing that folks think that just because some of us aren't glued to our computers 24/7 and following forum posts post by post, that somehow we are being dishonest or deceitful.

Fair enough, and no I didn't necessarily believe you were being deceitful. It was more a clarification whether it was your phone you were referencing or a friend's, which is sometimes the case. Believe it or not some members here aren't always completely accurate in what they post. Glad to find that you're not one of them. All's good. :)

post #101 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

I am also considering my next smartphone, and just happen to know a few other iPhone users doing the same. We all agree on one thing - iOS has became a bit... stagnant. Too safe for our taste.

Mayhap iPhone 5 change that. I'm definitely not going to select anything before iP5 and WP8 devices hit the market.

post #102 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The exact opposite is true. Android is a smartphone for people who are technically inept and people who are poor. The vast majority of Android users are using some junky, outdated version of Android on an already obsolete phone. Do these people even know what an OS is? I highly doubt that. Android users are also less likely to use certain features of their phone, such as web access. Android phones are attractive to people who have been using dumb phones for their entire life and people who just don't have a lot of money in their pockets. People who demand the best, such as myself, use iOS, which offers the most professional features targeted towards demanding users. 

Anybody who is smart already is on iOS. 

Tool's post was utterly pathetic, but yours is not much better... if any...

I'm around here for a while, and I still cannot understand urge to insult people with different opinions and needs. Sad...

post #103 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The larger screen of the Samsung Galaxy S3 has lower resolution, horrible compliance with the Standard Color Gamut and poor visibility in direct sunlight.
The "openness" of Android provides few advantages to users, in fact, the openness of Android provides many disadvantages to users. Why sacrifice efficient power management, reliability, security and privacy as well as software updates for themes and wallpapers?
I am not sure why you believe the Samsung Galaxy S3 camera is superior to iPhone 4S. The new iPhone will likely be superior to iPhone 4S which already rivals (if it is not superior even) to Samsung Galaxy S3.

It's funny, specs aside, very few of the many non-biased reviews I've read have complained about the real-world performance of the screen.

I wrote Camera App, not Camera. Apparently, the S3 uses the same sensor as the 4S, so I'd expect photo quality to be similar.  The Samsung Camera App allows you to have control over white balance, ISO, and exposure--all things I've been hoping the iPhone would receive, but it doesn't look like it will happen in iOS 6.

The openness I refer to is the ability to add shortcuts and widgets to the home screens. I'd love to have a shortcut that turns bluetooth on or off to conserve power. I know I can do this by jailbreaking my phone--which I've done. I undid the jailbreak the first time I couldn't use my phone because I needed to reboot the phone while on the road with no computer to tether it to.

post #104 of 108
Quote:

So one has to buy a product in order to have a valid opinion of it? You mention a cell phone, did you really buy it and subscribe to a phone service without arriving at an opinion that it's worth it before signing up?

I think you're just trolling, and so far, your post history only reinforces that.
post #105 of 108

Okay Guys, No complaints here.  I have the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim.  I was getting my me.com email from iCloud just fine until about 3 weeks ago.  I can't get past the incoming server to get to the outgoing server.  Nothing is working for me.  I have checked EVERYWHERE. I don't have "Ice Cream" or whatever that is. I only have the Galaxy Proclaim. Is it possible that I can no longer get my me.com email with the Galaxy Proclaim.  I truly hope I'm missing something but don't think so.  As I said before, this has been going on for about 3 weeks

I do have a Mac Book Pro, the new iPad and the iPhone 4.  Unfortunately where I live I can't get access to AT&T anymore and bought the Galaxy Proclaim because it hits off one of the Verizon towers and works great.

I believe last time I got the information off my Mac Book Pro and put it in the Galaxy Proclaim phone but that doesn't work now either.  

Does anyone know for a fact that I can't get me.com email on the Galaxy Proclaim. I don't give up very easily but I am now willing.  

I did get an app that synced my calendar, and it worked. I was hoping there was an app for me.com from iCloud email but couldn't find one.  If there is an app out there for the email, will someone please give me that information?  Thanks Bunches

post #106 of 108

Okay Guys, I got tired of trying to get this to work so my daughter checked into this.  She did see on me.com a box to check to forward the email to and leave it on the server.  walla...this works good for me as I have 2 email accounts one of which is a gmail acct.  Hope this will help someone else until there's a fix.

post #107 of 108

Hey Tool talk,

So, if you are familiar with both brands, can you help me out?

I have a mac at home, use an android now. I am up for purchasing a new phone. I wanted to get the iphone simply to be able to sync to my mac at home, but love the android better. Right now I have to plug in the phone to sync...and can not even sync contacts. I'm really looking for syncing my calendar and contacts from my mac. Does this android syncing really work?

Many thanks!

post #108 of 108
You know Samsung. I'd rather be a wall hugger than use an Samsung/Android phone. You could make that battery last a week on a single charge and I still would not leave iOS. So keep bashing us and we will do it here for you to see hopefully.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy