or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest Learning Thermostat reportedly taken off Apple Store shelves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nest Learning Thermostat reportedly taken off Apple Store shelves - Page 6

post #201 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post
And the iPhone is just another smartphone.

Obviously you can't see the difference between the function of a thermostat, and a smartphone.

post #202 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Obviously you can't see the difference between the function of a thermostat, and a smartphone.

That's your takeaway? LOL - good luck then.
post #203 of 226

We currently have a pro1 thermostat. It has saved us literally thousands. But, with the hype of the new nest, is there really any reason to switch at this point? Looking for honest opinions please.

 

Thanks

post #204 of 226
Originally Posted by Rodney Liber View Post
But, with the hype of the new nest, is there really any reason to switch at this point?

 

Given that they’re now owned by Google, no.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #205 of 226

I don't know of a reason to get one just because Google bought them. It might take some time for Google to sink their teeth into Nest but they will. My concern is how much of my info will Google collect…..and what will they do with it?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #206 of 226
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
My concern is how much of my info will Google collect…..and what will they do with it?

 

All of it, and we’ll never know; that’s why it’s not worth pursuing.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #207 of 226

But it would be nice to be able to tell Siri to set the house to a certain temp while on the drive home from work.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #208 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sigh... again, people who are less likely to attempt to program the one they already own ARE EXACTLY WHO NEST IS TARGETING with the thermostat that DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN INSTALL IT.

Go watch the cnet video that was linked on, I believe page two. That schedule she showed HAPPENED AUTOMATICALLY. Listen to her carefully. She actually complained it hadn't learned her families morning habits yet. So at that point you can tap on that very screen she showed to update the programming to be more accurate for your family. Which is touch simple to do, unlike the vast majority of thermostats that have user interfaces that are absolutely horrid.

That's the other hard to quantify benefit - the ability to set, change and update the schedule is so much more easy that even if you do decide to manually do it (like I did initially to get it jump started) people are going to be far more likely to not only attempt it but to succeed at it.

Improving success, making me more comfortable overall and saving me seriously money are hardly "adding complexity" 1rolleyes.gif
Sounds a little like the old PC vs Mac debates. Or GUI vs. Command Line for that matter. Yes, you can program many common old thermostats, but they are not dynamic, and have to be re-programmed as conditions change. Nest learns and adapts--reprogramming itself on the fly. Kinda spooky sometimes, but I'm liking it.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #209 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


Sounds a little like the old PC vs Mac debates. Or GUI vs. Command Line for that matter. Yes, you can program many common old thermostats, but they are not dynamic, and have to be re-programmed as conditions change. Nest learns and adapts--reprogramming itself on the fly. Kinda spooky sometimes, but I'm liking it.

I think wrt to Thermostats that "learning" if overdone.  

 

Indoor location (WifiSlam, iBeacon etc) is going to trump software only solutions.  I don't want my thermostat guessing whether i'm home or away I want it to precisely know.  I also want smarter routing of the heat in my home with smart vents.  

 

I'd love to have a Net Zero home. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #210 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I'm very concerned this may be the result of draconian Apple store policies.

Yes, you seem genuinely concerned. /s

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #211 of 226

The "perfect" thermostat with people with way too much money to spend and not enough intelligence to spend it wisely.

post #212 of 226
Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post
The "perfect" thermostat with people with way too much money to spend and not enough intelligence to spend it wisely.

 

I’m confident you know nothing about what the device is or does.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #213 of 226
I guess everyone knows by now that Google now owns Nest.
post #214 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post
 

The "perfect" thermostat with people with way too much money to spend and not enough intelligence to spend it wisely.

Well said. What kind of idiot would install a device that needlessly and pointlessly radiates their living space:  I don't agree these people have too much money to spend. If they had any money or sense, they would get in an electrician, and wire it up.  Wireless crap is for people who don't care about their health, and can't afford to put in ethernet.

post #215 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Well said. What kind of idiot would install a device that needlessly and pointlessly radiates their living space:  I don't agree these people have too much money to spend. If they had any money or sense, they would get in an electrician, and wire it up.  Wireless crap is for people who don't care about their health, and can't afford to put in ethernet.

There isn't any credible evidence that low power WiFi or other non-ionizing radiation harms people any more than green light harms people.
Edited by JeffDM - 1/31/14 at 7:01am
post #216 of 226

Lol - sure there is ... just google "wi-fi radiation destroys DNA"

 

There is a nice link there-in with no less than 34 published papers showing how mobile phone or wi-fi radiation destroys or damages DNA.

 

[ Alwaaaays better to do some research before posting hopeful and wishful but uninformed responses in forums. ]

post #217 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Lol - sure there is ... just google "wi-fi radiation destroys DNA"

There is a nice link there-in with no less than 34 published papers showing how mobile phone or wi-fi radiation destroys or damages DNA.

[ Alwaaaays better to do some research before posting hopeful and wishful but uninformed responses in forums. ]

Key word being "credible". The existence of a few papers in itself don't make it true. I think there's more papers on Bigfoot, yet there really isn't any reason to believe those exist either.
Edited by JeffDM - 1/31/14 at 7:38am
post #218 of 226
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post
Lol - sure there is ... just google "wi-fi radiation destroys DNA"

 

You’re insane. Get help.

 
 [ Alwaaaays better to do some research before posting hopeful and wishful but uninformed responses in forums. ]

 

Take your own advice.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #219 of 226

Great to hear Apple has pulled this ... last thing we need is more wireless radiation nuking children's heads, causing ADHD, or wiping your sperm. Just run it over ethernet, and you don't have to worry. 

post #220 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Great to hear Apple has pulled this ... last thing we need is more wireless radiation nuking children's heads, causing ADHD, or wiping your sperm. Just run it over ethernet, and you don't have to worry. 

You're back again? In the same thread? Do you go around trolling every Nest story you find on the internet, and double back to make sure?

And no tripe about every other device that Apple sells in the same store? Most electronic devices they sell are WiFi enabled, all computers, the TV box, phones, tablets and even a lot of the iPods sold now.

Really, to be consistent, you can't use a cellular phone, connect a tablet (few tablets have an Eth jack, none of the Apples do), use a laptop on the internet unteathered, have a microwave oven, and you need to turn your house into a faraday cage because of the TV, radio & satellite transmissions...
Edited by JeffDM - 3/12/14 at 6:48am
post #221 of 226
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post
Great to hear Apple has pulled this ... last thing we need is more wireless radiation nuking children's heads, causing ADHD, or wiping your sperm. Just run it over ethernet, and you don't have to worry. 

 

You’re completely insane.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #222 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

You’re completely insane.

 

Says the person with 31652 posting to his name. lol

post #223 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

And no tripe about every other device that Apple sells in the same store? Most electronic devices they sell are WiFi enabled, all computers ....

 

It is not a question of being wi-fi enabled per se. It is a question of whether the same service could be provided without recourse to wi-fi. And there is no need to have things permanently stuck to your wall in your bathroom, needlessly radiating people walking past or washing their teeth, when there is no need to do so.   

 

In my new R2-D2 Mac Pro, Apple neatly places the wi-fi and bluetooth goodies on a removable card under the black hat at the top ... so you can simply remove the entire wi-fi/bluetooth card and your shiny new Mac Pro is then wi-fi free (which I did). It comes with 2 beautiful gigabit ethernet ports and stacks of USB3 and thunderbolt ... so again, no need for radiating your body if you don't need to.

post #224 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Really, to be consistent, you can't use a cellular phone, connect a tablet (few tablets have an Eth jack, none of the Apples do), use a laptop on the internet unteathered, have a microwave oven, and you need to turn your house into a faraday cage because of the TV, radio & satellite transmissions...

 

Radio and satellite transmissions?? LOL = Oh please ... By the inverse square law, for low power emission devices, you only need to worry about emissions about 1 or 2m from your body. And for high power emission devices (like huge radio masts), 1km should be plenty  (note though the cancer clusters occurring to residents living adjacent to the Vatican's worldwide radio transmitters).  

 

Mobile phones do give me headaches / head buzzes, so I do try not to use them. If you can keep it 1 or 2m away from your body, you are unlikely to have any problems ... so if I do need to use say Skype  with a MacBook in a hotel that only has wireless, I just use a Moshi headset connected to the Mac via USB, ... stand a metre or more away from the Macbook... and 90% of the problem is gone. Tablets also give me head buzzes, so I mostly use my iPad in Airplane mode ... and if I do need any web services, just try to hold it away from your body ... and avoid using from inside a car (especially a moving car), as the signal strength required by the device to maintain a connection (plus internal reflection) is far greater than outside the vehicle.

post #225 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Mobile phones do give me headaches / head buzzes, so I do try not to use them. If you can keep it 1 or 2m away from your body, you are unlikely to have any problems ... so if I do need to use say Skype  with a MacBook in a hotel that only has wireless, I just use a Moshi headset connected to the Mac via USB, ... stand a metre or more away from the Macbook... and 90% of the problem is gone. Tablets also give me head buzzes, so I mostly use my iPad in Airplane mode ... and if I do need any web services, just try to hold it away from your body ... and avoid using from inside a car (especially a moving car), as the signal strength required by the device to maintain a connection (plus internal reflection) is far greater than outside the vehicle.

Then what's your problem with a thermostat, where most people are almost never within a meter of it, and it's almost never transmitting?

Yeah, personal electronic devices are very useful when they're kept out of reach.
post #226 of 226
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Says the person with 31652 posting to his name. lol

 

WOW that sure proves me wrong about non-ionizing radiation, huh. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest Learning Thermostat reportedly taken off Apple Store shelves