or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins U.S. injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab

Apple wins U.S. injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab

post #1 of 103
A U.S. judge on Tuesday issued a preliminary injunction against all sales of Samsung's Galaxy Tab, giving Apple a home-court victory in its ongoing legal battle against its handset rival.

U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh granted Apple's request to block sales of the South Korean electronic giant's iPad competitor, Reuters reports. The decision comes one week after a Samsung petition to rehear the patent case was denied.

"Although Samsung has a right to compete, it does not have a right to compete unfairly, by flooding the market with infringing products," Koh said.

According to the report, the injunction will be effective once Apple has put up a $2.6 million bond set aside for Samsung if the sales ban is later found to have been in error.

Apple won an appeal from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit last month that reopened the company's bid for a sales ban against its rival. The court disagreed with Judge Koh's ruling that an Apple design patent was "obvious."

Following the successful appeal, Apple quickly re-filed its motion for an injunction against the Galaxy Tab. However, Apple was told earlier this month that it would have to wait until the formal ruling from the CAFC was handed down to the District Court.

Samsung had argued that its 4G tablet did not compete directly with the 3G-equipped iPad 2, but the line of reasoning proved to be ineffectual.

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Tuesday's injunction represents a significant win for Apple at home. The iPad maker had previously successfully argued for temporary injunctions in Australia and Germany. Samsung dodged the German injunction by releasing a slightly-redesigned Galaxy Tab 10.1N. Meanwhile, the Australian ban was overturned last November.

Apple's displeasure at Samsung's apparent copying of its designs and intellectual property dates back to 2010. The company's attorneys revealed in court last year that then CEO Steve Jobs contacted Samsung to "give them a chance to do the right thing." However, talks eventually broke down and Apple sued Samsung last April.

The legal dispute between the two companies has grown quickly over the past year, spreading across more than 10 countries. In fact, Judge Koh has chastised the competitors for lodging too many claims against each other. Unwilling to subject jurors to what she called "cruel and unusual punishment," Kuo limited Apple and Samsung to 125 exhibits and 25 hours of arguments in an upcoming trial that she will preside over.

In May, the CEOs from Apple and Samsung met for settlement talks appointed by Judge Koh, but they were unable to come to an agreement.
post #2 of 103
'bout time
post #3 of 103

Well, I'll be a son of a b*tch.

post #4 of 103

INCOMINGGGG....!!!!

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #5 of 103
Finally, justice is served in the United States. It happens so rarely that it's important to embrace this moment.
post #6 of 103

The tech blogs must be ablaze with Fandroid rants.

post #7 of 103
Just wait till nightfall when the trolls, iHaters, Fandroids, and other vermin infesting this site to spew their own bile on how Scamsung is the innocent party...

About time! Hopefully Samesung will figure out how to use their ill-gotten gains to create their own R&D department instead of using Apple's shop.

Next in the crosshairs, Scamsung's phones.
Edited by sflocal - 6/26/12 at 11:04pm
post #8 of 103

I'm working my way up to one massive "I told you so"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Finally, justice is served in the United States. It happens so rarely that it's important to embrace this moment.

not really. this is just a prelim. It's possible that the final call could still go against Apple's arguments and they might be forced to pay damages to Samsung over this injunction

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #10 of 103
Thing is, Samsung is just shameless in how they copy Apple. Not just the devices but packaging, peripherals like chargers, and graphic design. Then they had the gall to trot out their head of "design" to be interviewed about his "design philosophy". (We prefer xerox over fuji copiers is what he should have said.)
post #11 of 103
I'll wager if the ruling holds up they drop a white border on it and sales continue as scheduled, essentially what they did in Germany. A 5 cent sticker, easily removed by the end user, thwarts all Apple's legal effort. Now that's funny.
post #12 of 103
An injunction on what? Like 5 Galaxy Tabs collecting dust at Best Buy? Hardly anyone is buying that thing anyway..
post #13 of 103
  • My bf loves his Tab.
post #14 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I'll wager if the ruling holds up they drop a white border on it and sales continue as scheduled, essentially what they did in Germany. A 5 cent sticker, easily removed by the end user, thwarts all Apple's legal effort. Now that's funny.

Heh, this is like winning an injunction against iPad 1, as the 10.1 is almost 1 year old. Samsung is selling the new version with the same modifications they did in Germany to thwart that injunction.

post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

An injunction on what? Like 5 Galaxy Tabs collecting dust at Best Buy? Hardly anyone is buying that thing anyway..

It's the principle of the thing.

post #16 of 103
Tab 2 is already put so money wise this is not big but the president going forward is huge...
post #17 of 103
All the Samsung defenders please read this post before you defend their products.

google

9 to 5 mac /oh-samsung-you-are-making-this-too-easy/#jp-carousel-94406

oh-samsung-you-are-making-this-too-easy/#jp-carousel-94406
post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Just wait till nightfall when the trolls, iHaters, Fandroids, and other vermin infest this sight to spew their own bile on how Scamsung is the innocent party...
About time! Hopefully Samesung will figure out how to use their ill-gotten gains to create their own R&D department instead of using Apple's shop.

Which Samsung model phones would that be?

post #19 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The Glaxy Tab 10.1 has been replaced in the lineup by the Galaxy Tab 2, IIRC. 

Just checked - it is still listed online, but the GT2 is also for sale.  I wonder if both are included in the injuction, or only the older model?

post #20 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Just wait till nightfall when the trolls, iHaters, Fandroids, and other vermin infest this sight to spew their own bile on how Scamsung is the innocent party...

Yup. It'll be morning soon in the U.K. And they hate Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 103
An injection won't even affect Tab sales figures reported by Samsung. They just count the number of boxes shipped from the factory. If it's held up in customs, it still counts.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

• My bf loves his Tab.

Your boyfriend has some serious quality concern issues then, and I'm not just talking about the tablet... (>_<)
post #23 of 103
I wonder, if Apple releases a smaller iPad, assuming it will look like a mini iPad, will they then sue Samsung over the Tab 7 and or Tab 8.9????? These two tablets look exactly like the 10.1 which has been found to infringe. I honestly can see Apple doing this.

Even better, Samsung sues Apple. If the 10.1 copies the iPad and the 7 and 8.9 copy the 10.1, then a mini iPad that looks like the 10.1 will be copying the 7 and or 8.9. Now that would be irony at its finest.
Edited by Hellacool - 6/26/12 at 8:18pm
post #24 of 103
They can hate apple, but look up Phones and Tablets in May 2007 and see what was out there....CRAP....Competition is a good thing...Stealing NOT SO MUCH....
post #25 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not really. this is just a prelim. It's possible that the final call could still go against Apple's arguments and they might be forced to pay damages to Samsung over this injunction

That would be absolutely hilarious.  I hope Apple gets seriously burned over this.

Apple is winning the competition in the market, and they do have a better product, but antics like this just make me angry at Apple for not playing fair.

post #26 of 103
Apple has had a smaller Ipad in Samsung's factories for years. Samsung stole the 7 inch from apple too. Just because Apple doesn't sell it doesn't mean Apple hasn't made one. Remember the Ipad was designed before the Iphone but not released first.
post #27 of 103
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter25 View Post

Apple has had a smaller Ipad in Samsung's factories for years. Samsung stole the 7 inch from apple too. Just because Apple doesn't sell it doesn't mean Apple hasn't made one. Remember the Ipad was designed before the Iphone but not released first.

Yet somehow, after all these years no pictures leaked? Ooooooohkkkkkkk.
post #28 of 103
Apple as a publicly traded company HAS to protect it share holders at all costs. All trademarks have to be protected or they become public domain.
post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
I hope Apple gets seriously burned over this. Apple is winning the competition in the market, and they do have a better product, but antics like this just make me angry at Apple for not playing fair.

Samsung copied Apple's products and made counterfeits, but you blames Apple. lol.

post #30 of 103
NOBODY ever saw the antenna testing facility at Apple until they invited the press. HUGE facility nobody knew about....

Apple keeps the secrets it wants to. Nobody had ever seen a Macbook Pro retina design until two weeks ago either.
post #31 of 103

$2.6 million bond. That tells you all you need to know - the Galaxy has such dismal sales that if the decision gets overturned that's all Apple has to pay for damages.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #32 of 103
post #33 of 103
The Galaxy tab(original version) was a blatant copy and well deserve to be banned. The tab 2 actually does not look like iPad at all, it is so ugly and cheap plastic looking, I doubt they would sell many, ban or no ban.
Did you see that giant "Samsung" on the side of the tab 2, i am sure noe their lawyers would have no trouble to tell which is not iPad 1smile.gif, and looks like they are telling you not to hold it in portrait mode, Btw I think ICS on tablet is just incredibly cumbersome, that is the weakest point of Tab 2.
post #34 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

• My bf loves his Tab.

I am not sure that's terribly boast-worthy.
post #35 of 103

they got the big mac, i got the big mick.  their buns have sesame seeds, my buns have no seeds.

post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Being that Samsung have moved onto the Galaxy Tab 2, its a little bit of a pointless victory.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

$2.6 million bond. That tells you all you need to know - the Galaxy has such dismal sales that if the decision gets overturned that's all Apple has to pay for damages.

what the losses actually are, and what hte judge allows are not always the same thing.

Samsung will likely lose nothing.

post #38 of 103

Go suck it Fandroids. Go eat a Richard.

Apple pioneered the modern phone and the modern tablet as we know it. While everybody else was stuck in the previous century, making crap products, hideous looking devices, and not very user friendly phones, Apple was busy innovating and developing revolutionary multi touch screen devices which would eventually disrupt and change the entire industry. Apple spent years on research and development that went into these products.

As soon as these amazing and revolutionary new Apple devices came out, some other companies said, holy fucking shit, we're going to have to come out with our own versions of those, otherwise we're so doomed! And one after another, most of the other companies started to ape Apple's breakthrough devices, and it wasn't long until virtually all phones and tablets on the market were based on Apple's initial breakthrough design and technology. Those companies that foolishly ignored how significant Apple's innovations were are in deep shit today. Just ask Nokia or RIM about that, or even better, ask one of the many thousands who have gotten laid off.

When you come out with a new product or a new idea that is unlike anything that came before, you patent those ideas, so that all of the time, money and research that went into it is not lost. People should be rewarded for their hard work and their willingness to take bold risks and to go where no other tech company has gone before. And Apple has done just that.

So in conclusion, go suck it Fandroids. I wouldn't even buy an Android tablet for my dog, if I had a dog. 

post #39 of 103

Where are all the gloating Fandroids from the past couple of weeks who had it in for Apple, and how it had never won in court, and why it should give up defending its IP, and why Apple's lawyer Sewell should be fired, etc. etc?

This is merely getting started, folks. The third-rate copycats have it coming. One by one.

post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Being that Samsung have moved onto the Galaxy Tab 2, its a little bit of a pointless victory.

While you comfort yourself with that kind of pathetic rationalization, know that it's probably just getting started.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins U.S. injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab