or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iOS 6 beta for Apple TV allows customizable app icon layouts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 6 beta for Apple TV allows customizable app icon layouts

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Apple's latest beta of iOS 6 for the Apple TV allows users to customize and reorder the layout of application icons, just like on the iPhone and iPad.

Similar to the long press used to move icons on the iPhone and iPad, users simply hold down the select button on Apple's remote while an icon is selected. Once this is done, the selected will begin to wiggle, and it can be dragged to a custom location on the TV screen.

In current, public builds of the Apple TV operating system, holding down the select button will put the device to sleep. Icons on the screen are also displayed in a static grid and cannot be moved.

Only one icon can be moved at a time with the new feature found in the second beta of the Apple TV. The feature was demonstrated in a video created by MacMagazine.com.br (via MacRumors).

Apple issued the second beta of its next software update for the Apple TV set-top box to developers on Monday, alongside iOS 6 beta 2 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The software is scheduled to publicly launch this fall.



The redesigned Apple TV user interface debuted earlier this year with the launch of a new 1080p-capable model of the device. Apple executive Eddy Cue portrayed the update as a simplified design that makes it easier for users to access features on their Apple TV.

The grid-like layout with application icons brought the Apple TV interface even closer to its iOS-based iPhone and iPad counterparts. The forthcoming addition of a customizable icon grid could be seen as making the Apple TV one step closer to receiving its own App Store with downloadable third-party software designed for HDTVs.
post #2 of 31

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. I can't see any other reason why it would be handy to do this. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

…the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind.

How horrid…

Did they also fix the page jump? It should scroll down instead of JUMPING to all icons.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. 

 

How great!

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. I can't see any other reason why it would be handy to do this. 

The two reasons I think they're holding off on the App Store for AppleTV - no great way of controlling it (the little remote isn't good enough). And, they're probably waiting so they can push it as a major feature with their dedicated TV.

 

I wish they would just create a little gaming/remote controller for the AppleTV, and this thing could be absolutely huge - people need an easy/comfortable way to pick up and play with it. But I've got a feeling they'll try to make it totally controlled by iOS devices, which seems a bit of a misstep and not actually that practical. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to integrate both.

 

It will be amazing though, hundreds/thousands of little games, giving power back to independent developers in the 'console' space. I think it could easily bring us back to the nintendo/sega era of gaming, simplicity vs 60 dollar premium xbox titles.

post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. I can't see any other reason why it would be handy to do this. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

The two reasons I think they're holding off on the App Store for AppleTV - no great way of controlling it (the little remote isn't good enough). And, they're probably waiting so they can push it as a major feature with their dedicated TV.

I wish they would just create a little gaming/remote controller for the AppleTV, and this thing could be absolutely huge - people need an easy/comfortable way to pick up and play with it. But I've got a feeling they'll try to make it totally controlled by iOS devices, which seems a bit of a misstep and not actually that practical. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to integrate both.

I think it would have to be a separate set of apps for this reason, I don't know if Apple would develop a different controller for AppleTV. Another way would be to encourage app developers more strongly to offer Airplay compatible options, so you use your iOS device as the controller, main processing on the handheld and beam it to the screen.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/27/12 at 9:17am
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This being said, I would think the iOS apps store for AppleTV wouldn't be far behind. I can't see any other reason why it would be handy to do this. 

 

Seriously?  Can't see any other reason?  

 

How about the fact that out of the five icons that are immediately available on the main screen, most users (especially outside of the USA) only need to access one?  How about the fact that the other two or three icons you may want to access are all several rows down?  

 

Personally, I just use "Computers" (iTunes), "Netflix" and "Vimeo" so this will be a boon to me in that I can just put them on the top row and never have to worry about scrolling through all that other crap every time I wan't to watch something.  There is also the Apple adverts for stuff I don't want to use or see like iTunes Match and prominent links to the iTunes store even though only US customers can actually buy anything there.  

 

Better still (for all iOS devices instead of just AppleTV), would be to let us delete the ones we don't want to see.  There are at least four icons prominently displayed for American sporting activities for instance.  I don't want to see that crap.  

post #8 of 31

These are truly extraordinary technologies Apple is rolling into the next generation of Apple TV software. I cannot wait to get these updates loaded onto all my Apple TV devices.

post #9 of 31

I hope they change the AppleTV interface pronto.

 

To put it bluntly, the new one simply sucks. I'd like to be able to delete most of them or put them into a folder to hide them for good.

post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope they change the AppleTV interface pronto.

 

To put it bluntly, the new one simply sucks. I'd like to be able to delete most of them or put them into a folder to hide them for good.

 

Yes I was also sorta wondering if they'd let users create folders. I think that would be a nice way of hiding away the apps you don't use, to make room for the ones you do. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


I think it would have to be a separate set of apps for this reason, I don't know if Apple would develop a different controller for AppleTV. Another way would be to encourage app developers more strongly to offer Airplay compatible options, so you use your iOS device as the controller, main processing on the handheld and beam it to the screen.

 

Why not just make an app that works with your iOS device you already have? Apple could make a kick-ass remote like app for AppleTV by just using your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad. The only thing that would piss people off is if they don't own an iOS device. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #12 of 31
I don't like the way it jumps down either, it's jerky and unpleasant.
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

 

Why not just make an app that works with your iOS device you already have? Apple could make a kick-ass remote like app for AppleTV by just using your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad. The only thing that would piss people off is if they don't own an iOS device. 

Apple already makes a remote app, it's one of the first apps they made for iOS after it was released. It leaves a lot to be desired though.

 

Downloading it and trying to use it would give you the answer to your question.  It just doesn't work well enough to replace a conventional remote and likely never wil due to the limitations of iOS devices in general. 

post #14 of 31

What is really needed is a search function where you can connect a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of using the remote. Plus, of source, so many more content sources. 

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

These are truly extraordinary technologies Apple is rolling into the next generation of Apple TV software. I cannot wait to get these updates loaded onto all my Apple TV devices.

 

I agree.  These small developments are why I feel good that I sold my previous Apple TV 2s and bought the A5 powered ATV3s.  Not that it would make a huge difference, but for a net difference of $15 per ATV (sold my 3 ATV2s for $85/per), I have a feeling third party apps will show a significant boost in load time.

 

So for anyone holding onto your ATV2s- sell on craigslist and make the switch for cheap- or even more (ATV2s are selling pretty high right now because the ATV3s haven't been jailbroken yet)  :)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #16 of 31
What drives me crazy is that Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:

Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4) with 16 GB SSD
iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
Optional $50 ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
Apps, Apps, Apps

I believe the above is feasible for $200 and would sell faster than any consumer electronics device in history.

I am convinced Apple is saving this for a hat trick in 2013 or 2014. While Apple could add a few more hardware features to the iPhone and many more software features they are approaching a saturation point for features and functionality very rapidly.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/27/12 at 10:22am
post #17 of 31

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The grid-like layout with application icons brought the Apple TV interface even closer to its iOS-based iPhone and iPad counterparts. The forthcoming addition of a customizable icon grid could be seen as making the Apple TV one step closer to receiving its own App Store with downloadable third-party software designed for HDTVs.

 

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store. It'll be iTVs main selling point; "it can double as a games console and many other things!"

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What drives me crazy is that Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:
Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4)
iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
Optional $50 ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
Apps, Apps, Apps
I believe the above is feasible for $200 and would sell faster than any consumer electronics device in history.

Sold.  The crazy thing is- this could all be done under the ATV as it stands right now (with the exception of Siri unless they sold a remote individually which would be unlikely).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

 

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store.

 

That's also a good point.  Not sure where the Apps would be stored- unless they were more internet based "apps".  The other option would be local storage via computer- but that seems crappy.

 

Although- that'd be something they could always do- Store the apps on your iTV (with the HD), and you can still access it via your little black box in the other rooms.  Get the app store in every room..... as long as you have an iTV.  ;)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Sold.  The crazy thing is- this could all be done under the ATV as it stands right now (with the exception of Siri unless they sold a remote individually which would be unlikely).

I think they could possibly even sell such a device for $100.
AppleTV (4th generation) $100
AppleTV Motion Sensing Remote $50 each
AppleTV Hands-Free Motion Sensor $100

That's $300 for many, many millions of people or only $100 for a new AppleTV (4th generation) with remote or use your iPad or iPhone as a motion sensing remote. Perhaps Siri could be triggered via iPad or iPhone.

I am not sure how best to implement Siri ... Mic on the remote? Triggered by the Remote but mic on the AppleTV? The optional remote would be for those who want a more traditional game console paradigm. Would an optional motion sensing input device be possible as well? Apple sells a large number of accessories so such a remote is a possibility.

The only issue with AppleTV now is AirPlay. AirPlay demonstrates considerable lag when hosting multi-player gaming and streaming content to a AppleTV connected television for high-end games.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/27/12 at 10:46am
post #20 of 31
Anyone see this yet, Google Nexus Q streamer? The copier is out of control.

Interesting. No non-Google apps apparently. Triple the price of AppleTV. WTF. Those robots will buy anything!

Even Apple has Netflix on AppleTV.
post #21 of 31
OMG. The Google Nexus 7 promotional video looks like they swapped Google employees for Apple employees. Literally seems like they stole the concept and perhaps even the script from Apple.

I must admit that the USD $199 price seems very competitive and may force Apple to do something in response although this is more a Amazon Kindle Fire killer than Apple iPad killer. I think that is the first time I have thought a Google Android-based product looked competitive (although the HTC One series of smartphones is decent).
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/27/12 at 11:22am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

 

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store. It'll be iTVs main selling point; "it can double as a games console and many other things!"

 

There is 8gb of flash in the ATV, and you don't need anywhere near that amount for streaming. Video apps tend to be tiny, as an example, Netflix for iOS is a mere 18mb.

post #23 of 31
No argument from me but let's be honest; there are about 12 decent channels. Virtually all those channels are available for the iPad or iPhone although I would prefer native apps to AirPlay streaming.
The real killer app for Roku is Hulu.
AppleTV has Netflix just like Roku.
Amazon Prime on Roku isn't much different than iTunes on AppleTV.
We played Angry Birds a few times on Roku but my children like Minecraft, Roboblox and World of Warcraft on the big screen (Huzzah! OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) since that is what their friends play.
post #24 of 31
Does anyone know if you can do the rearranging via the iTunes app like you can with iDevice home screens?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #25 of 31

SAY NO TO ATV APPS!!!

 

Sorry but it's the wrong way to go. TV is meant to be simple/consistent and an app-for-every-network is the wrong way.  Keep the media delivery consistent and pack content through it or even create defined media channel types (for sports + stats vs movies + subtitles vs cooking + recipes etc.). 

 

Keep the intellience on the super-interative controller in your hand and dumb down the panel/stb.  AirPlay isn't the final solution but gives us a hint.  Get the remote to set up the media and let the ATV stream direct from the source.

 

Loads of work to do Apple but we don't need an Apple-branded Boxee.

 

McD

Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:
Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4) with 16 GB SSD
iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
Optional $50 ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
Apps, Apps, Apps
I believe the above is feasible for $200 and would sell faster than any consumer electronics device in history.

Agreed. Now that wii u is about to price/complicate itself out of the casual market a gap is about to open up in the gaming market for a low cost iPhone like tv gaming console that supports a decent physical controller, effortless purchases, updates and iOS pricing. Touch controls have progressed gaming, but software controls are not so good if they mean you have to look away from the TV screen.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, but, isn't that hard-drive in the current Apple TVs used to buffer video content and not store apps? If so, they cannot simply add an App Store to the Apple TV box. Besides, if they do and they ever release an actual TV it'll be one more reason not to get one. I figure that will be one of the differentiators between Apple TV and iTV - an App Store. It'll be iTVs main selling point; "it can double as a games console and many other things!"

AppleTV has 8GB of flash storage, yes, ostensibly for buffering. But that's a lot, and I don't see why there isn't enough room for apps. I think the sum of apps on my iOS devices run about 2GB total storage, and I think it's five apps that I don't need that make up the most of it.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed. Now that wii u is about to price/complicate itself out of the casual market a gap is about to open up in the gaming market for a low cost iPhone like tv gaming console that supports a decent physical controller, effortless purchases, updates and iOS pricing. Touch controls have progressed gaming, but software controls are not so good if they mean you have to look away from the TV screen.

The thing is that although AppleTV is considered a casual gaming platform, the graphics Apple iPad (PowerVR SGX543MP4) are rapidly approaching Sony Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 in quality.
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The only issue with AppleTV now is AirPlay. AirPlay demonstrates considerable lag when hosting multi-player gaming and streaming content to a AppleTV connected television for high-end games.

 

Are you experiencing problems here? With which games?

 

My experience is that it runs close to lag-free with for example Real Racing 2 HD. The major problem is that the frame rate seems to be slightly too low, possibly due to limitations of the current N WiFi standard. I'm using the TimeCapsule for WiFi.

 

However, in my book Apple needs AC WiFi before they release an actual TV. That is one of the enablers of a true AirPlay-driven wireless platform.

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Sjofors View Post

What is really needed is a search function where you can connect a wireless keyboard and mouse instead of using the remote. Plus, of source, so many more content sources. 

The remote app for the iPad provides a keyboard for searches.

post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


The thing is that although AppleTV is considered a casual gaming platform, the graphics Apple iPad (PowerVR SGX543MP4) are rapidly approaching Sony Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 in quality.

 

You don't realise how wrong you are with that statement. Even taking the most powerful iOS device as an example (iPad 3) it struggles to push more than 200,000 polys per frame with basic shaders (diff, lightmap, perhaps a few spec maps here and there) at 30fps, and over-draw, and particularly transparencies utterly destroy it's performance. 

 

Compare that to an Xbox 360 which can push 800,000 polys per frame with complex shaders (diff, spec, norm, incan, AO, lightmap) at 30fps, and still have fillrate to spare for post effects such as FXAA and colour correction, bloom, etc.

 

The difference is night and day. Just because Infinity Blade manages to render a couple of nice looking characters and has good, if low poly and simply shaded background art doesn't make iOS devices into consoles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iOS 6 beta for Apple TV allows customizable app icon layouts