or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

post #1 of 226
Asus and Google have partnered to build the new "Nexus 7," a 7-inch tablet running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean that will start at $199 when it launches in July.

The Nexus 7 features a 1,280-by-800-pixel display powered by the Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset, featuring a quad-core CPU and 12-core graphics processor. The device, built by Asus, also has a front-facing camera, and built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and near-field communications.

The 8-gigabyte model will cost $199, while a higher-capacity 16-gigabyte model will cost $249. Each will come with a $25 credit to Google Play and comes bundled with free content, including a "Transformers" film.

Google unveiled the device at its annual I/O developer conference on Wednesday, and boasted about the lightweight design of the device at 340 grams, or about the same weight as a paperback book. It also was said to get up to 9 hours of battery life when watching HD video, and 300 hours of standby time.

Reading was a major focus for Google at Wednesday's unveiling, as they showed magazines that can be viewed on the 7-inch device. In one example, interactive elements were shown in the latest issue of Shape magazine.

The Nexus 7 also offers other content from the Google Play storefront, like movies and TV shows. Google also showed off a new recommendation engine that uses widgets on the home screen to show off applications, movies, books and other content that users may be interested in purchasing.

Google also highlighted game playing on the device, which features built-in gyroscopes and accelerometers for motion control.

While the Google Nexus 7 will compete with Apple's existing 9.7-inch iPad, reports have also indicated that Apple has experimented with a smaller iPad model with a 7.85-inch display. Reports have claimed that such a device could be launched later this year with a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels.
post #2 of 226
Consumers Don't Want Tablets, They Want iPads.
post #3 of 226

Wow. Bad day at the office Samsung. First the injunction against the Galaxy thanks to Apple, and now totally diss'ed as an OEM by Google. Curious to hear what this thing is like ... could spell trouble for the Kindle.

post #4 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Then let the consumers decide...

I think it's a pretty sweet tablet for an excellent price. Together with all the content streaming services which were shown, the Nexus Q integration and the hardware itself, I consider myself a potential customer.

post #5 of 226

7" is nice for portability however without a cellular option seems crippled in terms of mobile functionality. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 226

Seems like Ice Cream Sandwich just came out and now we have Jelly Bean. I wonder if the upgrade rate will be any higher.

Will be interesting to see how this latest offering does. Looks like no cellular connections available?

post #7 of 226

IMHO, Apple's entry into this arena won't be an iPad but an iPod, and it'll be called the SuperTouch or some such name. It'll have retina display that will permit it to run all the non-retina iPad apps at 1x and all the iPod Touch and iPhone retina display apps at 2x. In other words, it will run hundreds of thousands of programs out of the box.

Apple is going for the jugular.

post #8 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Seems like Ice Cream Sandwich just came out and now we have Jelly Bean. 

'Jelly Bean' ugh! What an awful name. It does have a lot of sophisticated features but the UI is horrible.

post #9 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Past performance does not equal future results.

Nobody knows what will happen in the tablet market.

post #10 of 226

Honestly that's a lot of value for $199. Great CPU/GPU, decent screen resolution (although I'd be worried about the quality of the screen at that price). Especially if this "Project Butter" stuff has really dealt with the dreaded Android lag.

post #11 of 226
Quote:
Google also showed off a new crapware engine that uses crapware widgets on the home screen to show off applications, movies, books and other content that users may be interested in purchasing.

There AI, I fixed it for you. At least that's what we would all call it if it were shipped with your Windows PC, so no sense calling it something else in this context.

post #12 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
...  The 8-gigabyte model will cost $199, while a higher-capacity 16-gigabyte model will cost $249. Each will come with a $25 credit to Google Play and comes bundled with free content, including a "Transformers" film....

I would pay a few dollars extra NOT to have this film included.  :-)

It really shows what kind of company Google is, and particularly what kind of audience Android is aimed at to include this poorly-written, poorly-acted, misogynist, over-the-top crap film on their device actually.  

I can't think of a more fitting choice of film to include for free. 

post #13 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

'Jelly Bean' ugh! What an awful name. It does have a lot of sophisticated features but the UI is horrible.

Mountain lion, leopard, and cheetah are great names on the other hand.

post #14 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There AI, I fixed it for you. At least that's what we would all call it if it were shipped with your Windows PC, so no sense calling it something else in this context.

You could remove it and it part of the playstore app. Its similar to someone complaining about the stocks application on an iphone

post #15 of 226
Google's been very busy this year.
post #16 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would pay a few dollars extra NOT to have this film included.  :-)

It really shows what kind of company Google is, and particularly what kind of audience Android is aimed at to include this poorly-written, poorly-acted, misogynist, over-the-top crap film on their device actually.  

I can't think of a more fitting choice of film to include for free. 

Oh come on, the first film wasn't that bad, and had some fun moments.  Now, if it's one of the next two ... eeeww!

Anyhow, I wonder how Google is managing to sell this at the same price as the Fire, with (I'm guessing here, obviously) more expensive hardware.  Amazon already loses, what, $10-$15 per unit?

post #17 of 226

12 core graphics? Are those specs correct?  Regardless, again it has too little storage and NFC instead of 3g is bad comedy.

post #18 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Mountain lion, leopard, and cheetah are great names on the other hand.

I'm pretty consistent on that issue as I have always complained about those names as well, especially ML which is the same cat as a Puma 10.1

post #19 of 226

Well at least it looks like Google just killed at least the Kindle Fire and BB Playbook. It has great hardware specs, but have to see about the experience after some reviews.

post #20 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Then let the consumers decide...

I think it's a pretty sweet tablet for an excellent price. Together with all the content streaming services which were shown, the Nexus Q integration and the hardware itself, I consider myself a potential customer.

how can you not get one for that price? ordered mine.

post #21 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

12 core graphics? Are those specs correct?  Regardless, again it has too little storage and NFC instead of 3g is bad comedy.

Yes, that is correct, it's the same (line?) of processor as the ASUS Transformer Prime. Again, don't play the hardware game, as the 2012 iPad was able to keep up to the transformer on many benchmarks (even surpass on a few)

post #22 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh come on, the first film wasn't that bad, and had some fun moments.  Now, if it's one of the next two ... eeeww!

Anyhow, I wonder how Google is managing to sell this at the same price as the Fire, with (I'm guessing here, obviously) more expensive hardware.  Amazon already loses, what, $10-$15 per unit?

One source estimated that Amazon was selling at a loss. There was another published about the same time that showed the BOM at about $150, giving Amazon a small profit on each Fire purchased. That was also several months ago, so component costs should have fallen more by now.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #23 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asus and Google have partnered to build the new "Nexus 7," a 7-inch tablet running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean that will start at $199 when it launches in July.

and over my next couple of years of ownership i'll be able to upgrade that to, what, android 4.1 jelly bean?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #24 of 226
Quote:

I'm pretty consistent on that issue as I have always complained about those names as well, especially ML which is the same cat as a Puma 10.1

Puma = Genus 

Cougar (Mountain Lion) = Species

Panther is the strange one.

post #25 of 226

I bought mine immediately and i must say i'm quite impressed with the specs (only got the 8GB). It seems to me that this thing is running a full version of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which means this device can be used for more than media purposes, something i think Google is quite aware of as they kept pushing the whole "media aspect" so as to not piss off their tablet vendors. 199 for a full tablet is nothing to scoff at and if this ends up quite popular not only is Amazon/B&N screwed but Apple is going to have to deal with a competitor in the most unlikely of places. 

Only thing i am disappointed by is that Google missed a perfect opportunity to turn the Nexus Q into a psuedo Google TV and mimic iOS Airplay. As it stands its a way overpriced add-on with limited features until it gets hacked on. We have the new iPad and an Apple TV and i must say it is truly the one feature i really REALLY like 

post #26 of 226
So you get the 7" tablet with the inherently easier portability yet no cellular option yet there's GPS. Huh, no thanks
post #27 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

how can you not get one for that price? ordered mine.

*cough cough* build quality *cough*

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #28 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

and over my next couple of years of ownership i'll be able to upgrade that to, what, android 4.1 jelly bean?

You don't know anything about nexus devices do you? They always get updated.

post #29 of 226
Quote:

You prefer Apple's UI designs? You know, the ones with the stitching, torn paper, green felt, and reel to reel tapes?

At least Google actually know they're designing for a digital device.

post #30 of 226

This looks pretty good actually.  Even if you are a die-hard apple person these specs at these prices with tighter software integration can only be a good thing for everyone (consumers).  Only $50 to double the capacity!?  I hope your listening Apple.  Not that apple hasn't done an amazing job with the iPad but it is nice to see the competition step it up.  If nothing else maybe this will make Apple rethink it's outrageous price jumps for the higher capacity models. AND if apple is planning to release a 7" this price point may definitely make them rethink their price points.  I mean a 3.5" 8gb iPod touch is the same price as this tablet.  Which would you choose?

post #31 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Yes, that is correct, it's the same (line?) of processor as the ASUS Transformer Prime. Again, don't play the hardware game, as the 2012 iPad was able to keep up to the transformer on many benchmarks (even surpass on a few)

Well It depends on what version of Tegra 3 is in this (i read its not the highest clocked version going in the N7). Regardless the new iPad does indeed outperform the Tegra 3 hand over fist when it comes to maximum gaming capabilities.

post #32 of 226
Quote:

They're code names. It's Android 4.1.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #33 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

*cough cough* build quality *cough*

Google-branded hardware has had excellent build quality so far, according to many reviews.  Why would you expect anything different this time around?  

Have you seen any reviews indicating that this tablet has substandard build quality?

post #34 of 226

Redux of AMZN's Kindle Fire.  Lose on the hardware and hope to make up on content sales.  I predict same outcome ... initial sales enthusiasm followed by deadly silence.

post #35 of 226

once consumers only wanted an iPhone, look at us now... times change - one of the many great things about the tech world.

I for one just use my iPad at the office for testing at this point - my Galaxy Tab 7 from Verizon is a much nicer size for my subway ride, this could be a nice update (have not use much of my data service so do not thing I'll renew my plan)

post #36 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Dashcode? Ahemf.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #37 of 226

This is gunning at the Kindle Fire more than the iPad. They will release a 10" version if they want to take on Apple directly. Perhaps Google sees Android's place in the tablet market at the entry level, with 7" devices selling for $200. Maybe they plan to let Microsoft and Apple fight it out at the high end with the Surface and the iPad. After all, Samsung has been competing directly with Apple now for 2 years, and while they have had a lot of success with Android phones (outselling Apple), they have had almost no luck with their tablets.

post #38 of 226

Hopefully, Google takes their multimedia books/papers business more seriously than Apple does its "iBooks"... :D

post #39 of 226

My first reaction:  How good is this CPU/GPU combination -- seems I 've read it's a poor performer?

My second reaction:  How is it to type on:

1)  Landscape -- small kb and very little room above kb for content

2)  Portrait -- thumb kb

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #40 of 226

Without matching the iPad’s great selection and fantastic quality of apps, it’s not very tempting. I’d prefer a pocketable iPod Touch in that case. But they’ve got to start (again?) somewhere.

I must say, though, Asus is really blatant about aping Samsung’s tablet styling!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199