or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199 - Page 4

post #121 of 226

1340831324198.jpg

 

Looks nice isn't it? Unfair to a beta? Then stop comparing the future apple maps to the current much better google maps. 

This is fully loaded btw

post #122 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


No. Just more dishonesty.

You have never used Google Maps on an Android device then.

 

It has all of those features and has had those features for years.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #123 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


No. Just more dishonesty.

Troll

post #124 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

 

I don't get the Ecosystem argument these days.  Google has an amazing ecosystem with Google products that people use everyday.  Search, Mail, Maps, Calendar, etc.  How come nobody counts that in the ecosystem?   On this front, Apple's "ecosystem" only works if you never ever stray outside the Apple Store for electronics.  Easy for the AI faithful.  Most real world humans aren't like that.  They might be somebody like me (iMac, Apple TV, Android phone) or more than likely Windows/iPhone/iPod.  Etc.

 

As for media.  Google Music.  I've uploaded my whole iTunes library.  Books.  Google's got a decent collection of eBooks last I checked.  Movies.  I'll concede this one.  Google seems to be behind on licensing content. 

 

On the whole, the ecosystem argument is really starting to wear thin on us regular folk.  Not all of us are Apple all the time.  And for us the Apple ecosystem is not as fluid as some would make it out to be. 

 

Agree on the NFC argument too.  Every iFan will call it a gimmick till the new iPhone launches with an NFC chip and Passbook supports mobile payments.  Will it be a gimmick then?  Google deserves criticism for not doing much with NFC or for the flop that is Google Wallet.  But the tech itself?  Calling it a gimmick?  Really?

Great post! Get ready to be called a Apple hater though.

 

Yes I don't understand the ecosystem argument anymore either. Google Play is fantastic, you can now install, update and uninstall apps directly from a web browser without touching your phone.

post #125 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Agree on the NFC argument too.  Every iFan will call it a gimmick till the new iPhone launches with an NFC chip and Passbook supports mobile payments.  Will it be a gimmick then?  Google deserves criticism for not doing much with NFC or for the flop that is Google Wallet.  But the tech itself?  Calling it a gimmick?  Really?

 

For NFC- I'm really glad that Google has brought it to markets outside of Japan.

 

What's limiting NFC in the US:

-lack of OEM adoption

-Isis competing with Google Wallet

-US carriers being stupid US carriers

-limited (but growing) number of NFC payment stations.

 

I pay for almost all of my public transit tickets with Google Wallet and I pay for things like food / drinks with it too. It's second nature to me at this point, but I think it would be cool if more people could experience it too.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #126 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Then let the consumers decide...

I think it's a pretty sweet tablet for an excellent price. Together with all the content streaming services which were shown, the Nexus Q integration and the hardware itself, I consider myself a potential customer.

Why buy it at that price when you can get a refurb iPad 2 16GB from Apple for an extra 60 quid?
post #127 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

So... what you are buying is "price"!

 

How about price and portability?

 

I used my cousin's iPad 2 for a few weeks.  I found it cumbersome to read in bed.  I'd prefer something smaller.  That's the first problem with the iPad.  Next, the iPad is overkill for most people.  $600-$700 to read books, browse and watch movies?  And that's really what most people do on it.  I'm planning on getting an iPad eventually anyway to use iWorks/iLife apps on the go.  But for lying around reading?  This thing is it.

 

And the reason I'd prefer this over the Kindle Fire is because of the devices capabilities and the fact that I don't really shop at Amazon all that often.  Really, if you've ever used an Android phone, this thing will beat the pants off the Kindle Fire simply because you'll have much better app selection on a device that has Jelly Bean than on the Kindle Fire, stuck on Gingerbread.

post #128 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Great post! Get ready to be called a Apple hater though.

 

Yes I don't understand the ecosystem argument anymore either. Google Play is fantastic, you can now install, update and uninstall apps directly from a web browser without touching your phone.

its true and why i went with galaxy nexus and now the nexus 7. apple can't touch google for web based apps, mail, etc and combined with amazon cloud for my music and books i can access damn near everything from any machine.

apple is for old people and the ignorant who wish to part with a lot of hard earned money so they can feel like 'rebels'. old hippy rebels and young 'rebels' too dumb to see how dead that is.

post #129 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

X86, so it would install desktop Flash. The RT version wouldn't support it, I don't believe.

RT supports flash video only.
post #130 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ha Ha! I wouldn't buy a vehicle without in-dash GPS because any auto trim package I would consider automatically comes with it along with all the other screen based features for backup video, music, phone integration, systems status, voice activated search etc. plus it is a nice big screen. I suppose you would recommend some third party iPad dash mount kit that obstructs your windshield instead?

 

I'd recommend turn-by-turn directions on your phone and that you keep your eyes on the road.

post #131 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its true and why i went with galaxy nexus and now the nexus 7. apple can't touch google for web based apps, mail, etc and combined with amazon cloud for my music and books i can access damn near everything from any machine.

apple is for old people and the ignorant who wish to part with a lot of hard earned money so they can feel like 'rebels'. old hippy rebels and young 'rebels' too dumb to see how dead that is.

I wouldn't go that far, I still use a iPad but have tried a Motorola Xoom. Android still has a way to go to be great on a tablet but I am very happy with my HTC One X.

 

Airdroid is a great app too! http://airdroid.com/

post #132 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

 

I'd recommend turn-by-turn directions on your phone and that you keep your eyes on the road.

The only problem with this is when you are making calls. I found it equally as bad on iOS and Android.

 

On long trips I use my One X as a phone and my 4S as a dedicated GPS running tomtom

post #133 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

7" is nice for portability however without a cellular option seems crippled in terms of mobile functionality. 

 

Seems like the Nexus 7 was using T-Mobile for connectivity.

post #134 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

RT supports flash video only.

I guess that's through Flash embedded in IE, right?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #135 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I wouldn't go that far, I still use a iPad but have tried a Motorola Xoom. Android still has a way to go to be great on a tablet but I am very happy with my HTC One X.

 

Airdroid is a great app too! http://airdroid.com/

I should have kept my One X... But I'm REALLY happy with my Galaxy Nexus. Have a 2000mah battery in it and it doesn't die. Only complaint is the average camera, but I have a compact DSLR anyway, haha

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #136 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


Why buy it at that price when you can get a refurb iPad 2 16GB from Apple for an extra 60 quid?

 

Other than the size (which comes with its own disadvantage: weight), I fail to see how an iPad 2 is more capable than this.  The internals are better.  And it's 63% more ppi.  That's near retina display quality.

 

And at the end of the day, if I don't need the iPad's size, or Apple's ecosystem, that's 60 bucks that I can use elsewhere. 

post #137 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I guess that's through Flash embedded in IE, right?

Correct.

 

To my knowledge, you can't change the browser in RT. You're stuck with internet exploder.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #138 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

The only problem with this is when you are making calls. I found it equally as bad on iOS and Android.

 

On long trips I use my One X as a phone and my 4S as a dedicated GPS running tomtom

 

Why is it a problem when making calls?  Isn't that what Voice Actions (Android) and Siri (iOS) are for?

post #139 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

You could remove it and it part of the playstore app. Its similar to someone complaining about the stocks application on an iphone

 

Well, you can remove the Windows crapware, too. But, no, it's not similar to the Stocks app on the iPhone, since the purpose of that is not to sell you something.

 

Some of the built-in apps on the iPhone, like Stocks, probably shouldn't be part of the OS (but are for legacy reasons), but some, like (Apple) Maps, shouldn't be removable because developers should be able to expect them to be there. But, none of these represent the same thing as what we are talking about here.

 

You could argue it's like the iTunes app, but that doesn't display ads on your lock screen.

post #140 of 226

All you android morons listen up. no matter how much you praise Google, numbers tell the whole story. As of now, Apple NET Profit > Google Revenue. That's how pathetic Google is. They just don't know how to make money doing whatever they do. As seen in Apple's case, BIG MONEY is in hardware. Contents are just bait to draw people to buy hardware.

Google is a company made up of Bookworms and Geeks. Just look at those presenters who came on stage at the Google I/O today. All Geeks.

Google is a company that has lost focus in a hurry, becoming more and more like their best friend Sam-Suck. Look at the idiotic thing Google created, called Google Glass. Those Google geeks actually think people will carry a smartphone AND a Google glass at the same time? give me a damn break. Total joke.

Google wishes they can collect licensing fees from OEMs for android, just like MS does for windows. However, they are bound to the agreement with whole bunch of OEMs from day 1 of android and because of this they have to keep distributing android for free.

post #141 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

 

I'd recommend turn-by-turn directions on your phone and that you keep your eyes on the road.

Are you thinking my $80,000 computer on wheels doesn't have turn by turn voice? It has every bell and whistle imaginable. I suppose you are driving some low end Kia to go along with your Samsung phone. Not that those products aren't practical but you would notice the difference if you had the opportunity.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #142 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

 

Why is it a problem when making calls?  Isn't that what Voice Actions (Android) and Siri (iOS) are for?

It takes you out of the navigation while you are on the call.

post #143 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


Ecosystem. The ability to safely purchase Apps, Books, Movies, Music, Podcasts and TV Shows on your device and know that they are optimized for your device and are permanently stored in the cloud for you to use on demand is extremely powerful. Now that Apple has extended iTunes to more than 155 countries we will begin seeing the demise of Google Android. We understand that you, as an Android pundit, might not understand these concepts. Smartphones do far more than make telephone calls.
Software Updates. Frankly, this is one of the dozen major issues with Google Android. Google just doesn't care about consumers they care about their customers, the advertisers. Buying an Android-based smartphone today virtually guarantees you won't have Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for another twelve months, but most likely never.
NFC Support. Millions of people aren't walking into restaurants and paying for their meal with their Android-based smartphone. NFC Support is a gimmick.
Offline Dictation. I guess you need offline dictation when Google sells you a mobile device that isn't really mobile.
Great Maps and Navigation. 2D and 3D views with Flyover and voice-activated, voice-guided turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation and Yelp! integration that displays appropriate detail based on the zoom level in one Map! When will Google catch up?
Notification Center. Are you saying Google's notifications aren't very good?
Voice Search. Siri is absolutely amazing! Too bad that third-class wannabe from Google sucks so hard.

 

Oh come off it, Apple's maps are embarrassingly bad. The only new thing is a gimmicky 3D flyover for a couple of cities. There's no street view, no transit information, no walking routes, local search through Yelp isn't a patch on Google's data, and the maps themselves are so unbelievably sparse and crude looking they're a total joke. Apple ditched Google Maps for purely political reasons, nothing more. If you actually looked at comparison screen shots of the two you'd see how spectacularly wrong you are.

post #144 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

…numbers tell the whole story.

But… 1,000,000 activations per day! Shipped vs. sold!
Quote:
As of now, Apple NET Profit > Google Revenue. They just don't know how to make money doing whatever they do.

Which is a crying shame, because they DO do some things quite well. They're simply squandering that talent.
Quote:
Google wishes they can collect licensing fees from OEMs for android, just like MS does for windows.

Maybe they also shouldn't make their own hardware, then. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #145 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

how can you not get one for that price? ordered mine.

 

Which one did you order?   8 gigs for $199 or 16 for $249?   Just curious which one you think is the best value for that price.

post #146 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Great post! Get ready to be called a Apple hater though.

 

Yes I don't understand the ecosystem argument anymore either. Google Play is fantastic, you can now install, update and uninstall apps directly from a web browser without touching your phone.

 

It's too be expected on AI.  It's like a moderate going on to a Jihadi or fundamentalist Christian website.  Your moderate views are as much a threat as opposing views.  Really, most of the AI regulars here are tech versions of Tea Party (or OWS...whatever your cup of tea) activists.  Just look at the views in this thread.  Not a single one of them has ever used this tablet, or ever will use this tablet.  But apparently, it's already a fail.  Just because it's made by Google.  LOL.  And they've conveniently forgotten that time, long, long ago, when Google Maps and Google Search made the iPhone stand out from the competition.  

 

I have people like this in real life.  I have a cousin who suddenly seems to have discovered his inner iFanboy.  Plays with my Galaxy Nexus.  Says he likes it.  Then complains about Google and privacy and then drones on about how amazing Apple products are.  I don't disagree with the latter, since I own some myself.  But he's got lots of Apple gear.  MBP, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch.  The guy is 25, has a degree in engineering and still lives at home, sharing a room with his teenage sister I might add.  I'm starting to wonder about his spending priorities and whether Google's privacy policies should really be at the top of his agenda....

 

Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have mom/dad/boss's credit card to go nuts at the Apple Store on the latest and greatest.  We have to buy according to our needs and see where Apple's products will provided real bang for the buck. I'll fully admit that I'd love to have all the latest and greatest Apple gear.  Unfortunately, even with my very near six-figure salary, I value money too much to make it an annual tradition of tossing it into disposable and rapidly depreciating electronics.  My rule for electronics is simple.  No purchase (Apple or otherwise) unless there's a clear usage case for it.  And it has to show real long term (as long term as disposable electronics are...) value (this is where Apple really does win a lot).

 

A simple and clear cut example from my life...I could either get an iPhone with a major carrier (Rogers, Bell, Telus) and pay $60-$80 per month as a base cellular bill with very limited voice and data buckets.  Or go with a new carrier (Wind) that offers unlimited voice, data, global sms, continental MMS, continental long distance, voicemail and Caller ID for $40 per month...flat.  The carrier uses the AWS band....so no iPhone.  I'm enjoying a Galaxy Nexus.  My entire extended family switched.  Except one individual.  Guess who?  He says it's price of the iPhone experience...to pay an extra $20 per month.  But he's scared to ever do anything on his phone, lest he go over his data limit.  Apparently, carefree usage of services is not part of the iPhone's user experience....that's where inflexible ideology gets you.

post #147 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

 

Oh come off it, Apple's maps are embarrassingly bad. The only new thing is a gimmicky 3D flyover for a couple of cities. There's no street view, no transit information, no walking routes, local search through Yelp isn't a patch on Google's data, and the maps themselves are so unbelievably sparse and crude looking they're a total joke. Apple ditched Google Maps for purely political reasons, nothing more. If you actually looked at comparison screen shots of the two you'd see how spectacularly wrong you are.

 

Not political reasons, but monetary reasons.   You have to pay to use the API.   Apple has been paying Google quite a few bucks over the years.   They'd just like to keep that money in house from now on.

post #148 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

 

It's too be expected on AI.  It's like a moderate going on to a Jihadi or fundamentalist Christian website.  Your moderate views are as much a threat as opposing views.  Really, most of the AI regulars here are tech versions of Tea Party (or OWS...whatever your cup of tea) activists.  Just look at the views in this thread.  Not a single one of them has ever used this tablet, or ever will use this tablet.  But apparently, it's already a fail.  Just because it's made by Google.  LOL.  And they've conveniently forgotten that time, long, long ago, when Google Maps and Google Search made the iPhone stand out from the competition.  

 

 

 

I agree completely - well, except for the Tea Party reference.   You're just dead wrong on that.   Especially the comparison to that Occupy nonsense.   But perhaps I'm just a Jihadi raining on your parade.

post #149 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

All you android morons listen up. no matter how much you praise Google, numbers tell the whole story. As of now, Apple NET Profit > Google Revenue. That's how pathetic Google is. They just don't know how to make money doing whatever they do. As seen in Apple's case, BIG MONEY is in hardware. Contents are just bait to draw people to buy hardware.

Google is a company made up of Bookworms and Geeks. Just look at those presenters who came on stage at the Google I/O today. All Geeks.

Google is a company that has lost focus in a hurry, becoming more and more like their best friend Sam-Suck. Look at the idiotic thing Google created, called Google Glass. Those Google geeks actually think people will carry a smartphone AND a Google glass at the same time? give me a damn break. Total joke.

Google wishes they can collect licensing fees from OEMs for android, just like MS does for windows. However, they are bound to the agreement with whole bunch of OEMs from day 1 of android and because of this they have to keep distributing android for free.

 

Morons?  Bookworms?  Geeks?  Sam-Suck?   Idiotic?   Total joke?

 

Do you really think you'll convince anybody of your argument when you use terms like this?   Present a reasoned argument instead, rather than an emotional one.

post #150 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Are you thinking my $80,000 computer on wheels doesn't have turn by turn voice? It has every bell and whistle imaginable. I suppose you are driving some low end Kia to go along with your Samsung phone. Not that those products aren't practical but you would notice the difference if you had the opportunity.

 

Lexus IS actually.

 

And my belief comes from days flying jet trainers.  Eyes outside the cockpit.

post #151 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

 

Which one did you order?   8 gigs for $199 or 16 for $249?   Just curious which one you think is the best value for that price.

I'd rather get the 8gb for 199. I could use a host adapter / extended storage by plugging in a portable hard drive or small flash drive right into the tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

 

Not political reasons, but monetary reasons.   You have to pay to use the API.   Apple has been paying Google quite a few bucks over the years.   They'd just like to keep that money in house from now on.

Their mistake then. Google just reduced the price of the API significantly. No transit navigation, walking navigation, street view, and it's also not as accurate as Google Maps from what people are reporting.

 

I hope Google releases a Google Maps app for iOS. But knowing Apple, it will most likely be blocked.

 

I for one, use street view and transit navigation a lot. Transit navigation is incredible when you're traveling in a new city.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #152 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

And every Android manufacturer just said "oh shit"

 

Between Amazon and Google, with their subsidized tablets, there is no money left to be made selling hardware with Android. Amazon and Google can expect to make up the money on the backend through media, search and apps. The hardware makers don't have that luxury or infrastructure. This is exactly why Samsung is trying their own cloud initiatives, but it is too little, too late. There are maybe 4 or 5 companies that have the scale, infrastructure and money to sell millions of tablets at a loss and expect to make the money on the backend. Amazon and Google are two and are trying it now. Apple is another, but doesn't need to take a bath on the hardware. MS is another but it seems like they will try instead to make a moderate margin on the hardware; we'll have to wait and see how that works out for them. The only other company I can think of might be Sony and they are too broken and schizophrenic to do it successfully.

 

In the Android community, basically, it is going to come down to whether you are given the Nexus brand for a season or not. If you are, you win for that year, with modest income from google to manufacture the hardware. If not, then you have to seriously consider how long you are willing to burn cash.

 

Actually Apple iDevices subsidize the iTunes store and the app store. Apple could do a 7" devices to replace the iPod Touch and use it to hold onto the iTunes customers during the present sub-9 inch tablet shoot-out. Or, Apple could just ignore the cat fight and make the big money.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #153 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

 

It's too be expected on AI.  It's like a moderate going on to a Jihadi or fundamentalist Christian website.  Your moderate views are as much a threat as opposing views.  Really, most of the AI regulars here are tech versions of Tea Party (or OWS...whatever your cup of tea) activists.  Just look at the views in this thread.  Not a single one of them has ever used this tablet, or ever will use this tablet.  But apparently, it's already a fail.  Just because it's made by Google.  LOL.  And they've conveniently forgotten that time, long, long ago, when Google Maps and Google Search made the iPhone stand out from the competition.  

 

I have people like this in real life.  I have a cousin who suddenly seems to have discovered his inner iFanboy.  Plays with my Galaxy Nexus.  Says he likes it.  Then complains about Google and privacy and then drones on about how amazing Apple products are.  I don't disagree with the latter, since I own some myself.  But he's got lots of Apple gear.  MBP, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch.  The guy is 25, has a degree in engineering and still lives at home, sharing a room with his teenage sister I might add.  I'm starting to wonder about his spending priorities and whether Google's privacy policies should really be at the top of his agenda....

 

Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have mom/dad/boss's credit card to go nuts at the Apple Store on the latest and greatest.  We have to buy according to our needs and see where Apple's products will provided real bang for the buck. I'll fully admit that I'd love to have all the latest and greatest Apple gear.  Unfortunately, even with my very near six-figure salary, I value money too much to make it an annual tradition of tossing it into disposable and rapidly depreciating electronics.  My rule for electronics is simple.  No purchase (Apple or otherwise) unless there's a clear usage case for it.  And it has to show real long term (as long term as disposable electronics are...) value (this is where Apple really does win a lot).

 

A simple and clear cut example from my life...I could either get an iPhone with a major carrier (Rogers, Bell, Telus) and pay $60-$80 per month as a base cellular bill with very limited voice and data buckets.  Or go with a new carrier (Wind) that offers unlimited voice, data, global sms, continental MMS, continental long distance, voicemail and Caller ID for $40 per month...flat.  The carrier uses the AWS band....so no iPhone.  I'm enjoying a Galaxy Nexus.  My entire extended family switched.  Except one individual.  Guess who?  He says it's price of the iPhone experience...to pay an extra $20 per month.  But he's scared to ever do anything on his phone, lest he go over his data limit.  Apparently, carefree usage of services is not part of the iPhone's user experience....that's where inflexible ideology gets you.

I'm in a similar boat except I probably own a lot more Apple gear i.e. Macbook Air, iMac, Mac Mini and iPad.  I liked my iPhone 4 while I was using it but when the bigger screen Android phones came out I decided to have another look and switched back

 

I don't see anything in iOS6 that would make me go back to iOS for now but who knows maybe I will change my mind. I have a 4S work phone and I use every once in a while and its ok but the One X has some features I prefer enough to make it my primary phone. I'm a bit of a gadget freak so probably spend way too much on toys :)

post #154 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have mom/dad/boss's credit card to go nuts at the Apple Store on the latest and greatest.  We have to buy according to our needs and see where Apple's products will provided real bang for the buck. I'll fully admit that I'd love to have all the latest and greatest Apple gear.  Unfortunately, even with my very near six-figure salary, I value money too much to make it an annual tradition of tossing it into disposable and rapidly depreciating electronics.  My rule for electronics is simple.  

You know, there are two ways to look at the rational of purchasing Apple gear. 1) If you want to always have the latest model just resell your old one right before the new ones come out. Since Apple gear keeps its value much better than any other brand you are not out of pocket too much. 2) Buy the top of the line Apple gear and keep it for 5-6 years. Because of the quality and dependability your overall cost of ownership is below that of replacing other brand products more often.

 

Either way you get the satisfaction of using Apple products instead of brand X.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #155 of 226

Google have to loose money on this project. If Tegra 3 is manufactured at 40nm, the SoC cost about 40-50 dollar. 

 

I understand Google. They make money on advertising, not on the hardware. The funny thing is that iOS have generated more advertising money for Google then Android.

post #156 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

 

Not political reasons, but monetary reasons.   You have to pay to use the API.   Apple has been paying Google quite a few bucks over the years.   They'd just like to keep that money in house from now on.

 

What happened to, "It's all about the user experience."?

 

Somehow I doubt Apple was paying the going rate for using Maps.  Also, Google just cut the cost of the Maps API by 87%.  I'm inclined to think that this is probably what Apple was paying in the first place.  So this was a political move. 

 

I'm not convinced that Google charged so much that it was worthwhile for Apple to pay someone to map the world with a fleet of private airplanes.  If Apple didn't have a hundred billion in the bank, would they be doing this?

 

As a consumer, I like the competition.  And hopefully, Apple Maps will emerge as a solid competitor to Google Maps.  But let's not beat around the bush.  It's purely a spite move against Google.  It's not about the benjamins.

post #157 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You keep using that same iPod Touch argument in iPhone and iPad threads, why?  The point is broken when you talk about anything other than the Touch itself.  

 

How often is iOS updated? Oh, about the same once a year?  Wow, did you even think about that before you posted?

 

You prove my point more than you realize. iOS5 came out last October. It was 16 months after iOS4 and followed Apple's "new" (we hope) cycle for iPhone releases. Ice Cream Sandwich was actually released at the same time. Google has been moving at faster than a one year cycle. Jelly Bean is available pretty soon here and that will be far less than a year. Google is moving so fast that you are starting to actually complain that other entities not moving as fast or basically moving on Apple time are some how at fault. iOS is not being updated as well or as quickly. It feels like it is standing still in comparison. We are going to hope we luck out and only have to wait 12 months this time instead of 15-16 like last time. It isn't just the Touch that hasnt been updated. It is the entire iPod line that has not been updated in almost two years. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Well ... We can safely ignore your posts.

Several months isn't "a decade" in "semiconductor time." Several months is significant but not a decade.

The 1 GHz TI OMAP 4 4430 (dual core) is not impressive at all with (essentially) Android OS 2.3.

Apple just released an updated version of iLiife 19 months ago and has added cloud integration for free in the mean time. Apple released an updated version of iWork just 10 months ago. Apple just previewed and released a beta version of iOS 6 a few days ago.

 

Quad core $200 devices being used to shoot down dual core devices that are $200 a that have been released a whole eight months on the Android side yet you excuse Apple for having a 20 month old iPod touch. Talk about a double standard. The last proper update to iWork came out in 2009 on Mac OS. You talk about iLife being updated 19 months ago when it used to be updated yearly. The last two updates have been 19 months each and the second 19 months would end today if something were released but nothing has been released and we don't know if or when something will be released. Well over half the updates 19 months ago were very minor going from 3.0 to 3.0.2 on iWeb. That is ridiculous. Apple's own apps aren't even showing up correctly on rMBP because they are so out of date. When did Apple become the company where the left hand didn't know what the right was doing and their own software looks like crap on their own hardware. In the past the update to iWorks and iLife would have been used to SHOW OFF the rMBP. This is unjustifiable nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I don't get the Ecosystem argument these days.  Google has an amazing ecosystem with Google products that people use everyday.  Search, Mail, Maps, Calendar, etc.  How come nobody counts that in the ecosystem?   On this front, Apple's "ecosystem" only works if you never ever stray outside the Apple Store for electronics.  Easy for the AI faithful.  Most real world humans aren't like that.  They might be somebody like me (iMac, Apple TV, Android phone) or more than likely Windows/iPhone/iPod.  Etc.

 

As for media.  Google Music.  I've uploaded my whole iTunes library.  Books.  Google's got a decent collection of eBooks last I checked.  Movies.  I'll concede this one.  Google seems to be behind on licensing content. 

 

On the whole, the ecosystem argument is really starting to wear thin on us regular folk.  Not all of us are Apple all the time.  And for us the Apple ecosystem is not as fluid as some would make it out to be. 

 

Agree on the NFC argument too.  Every iFan will call it a gimmick till the new iPhone launches with an NFC chip and Passbook supports mobile payments.  Will it be a gimmick then?  Google deserves criticism for not doing much with NFC or for the flop that is Google Wallet.  But the tech itself?  Calling it a gimmick?  Really?

The other point to note is that when Apple felt like they were the underdog, they brought their advantages and solutions to other platforms and then those people ended up going to Apple solutions because they liked the solutions and wanted even better ways to use them. Apple made sure iPod's and iTunes worked on Windows and also brought over Quicktime. Now Apple is trying to use the cloud as a strength but everything you want to use in the cloud only works on a Mac. Google will bring over a gmail app. I have no doubt they will over another Map app and they have Google Voice as well. They are doing what Apple used to do. You can use our stuff anywhere but when you decide you want to use it the best way, come see us about a complete solution.

 

People in this thread are now justifying 19 month development cycles against 12 months and prolonged hardware cycles as well. We hope Apple is going to address the problems and sometimes they do to a degree (rMPB) but other updates have been very incremental or downright insulting (MBP, Mac Pro.)

 

That said, Apple doesn't have to be doing wrong and someone else can be doing right and Google is doing that here. This is some very nice sounding hardware along with a software update and a good price. Google is improving things and stepping it up quickly. That doesn't mean I've thrown away my MacBook Pro or my iPhone 4s. It just means Apple needs to step it up.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #158 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Google have to loose money on this project. If Tegra 3 is manufactured at 40nm, the SoC cost about 40-50 dollar. 

 

I understand Google. They make money on advertising, not on the hardware. The funny thing is that iOS have generated more advertising money for Google then Android.

Even if Google is subsidizing the price of this device. I'm sure they can still make that money back on content sales.

 

Same business model as the Fire / Nook.

 

Can't wait for the amazing devs on XDA to get their hands on this device

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #159 of 226

I want the tech press to start to educate users why Google/Facebook have "free" services. www.google.com/dashboard. 

It's ok to data mine as long as the customers understand that THEY  are the commodity for Google and Facebook. 

 

I like Google. But I don't want to be data mined. Why not have a google payed service where there is no data mining? 

 

I have to say that Googles table looks like a quality product. I don't like the design. But this is more the IKEA of computing against Apples silicon art. 

post #160 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

And my belief comes from days flying jet trainers.  Eyes outside the cockpit.

I just don't know why you suggested that I use my phone instead of the built in navigation.

 

I have never flown an airplane but when I was learning to drive they told us to keep your eyes moving, front, rear view, side mirrors, and instrument cluster. Also when you start the vehicle it reminds you to only use the navigation display when traffic conditions permit.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199