or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199 - Page 6

post #201 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

The last time I saw him, he had to buy a new phone because his HTC Desire HD couldn't be upgraded to ICS (even though it was only released January last year), 

Really? http://blog.htc.com/2012/03/ics/

post #202 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Really? http://blog.htc.com/2012/03/ics/

I'll email him and ask why got rid of it then. Back in 5 mins.

... at night.

... at night.

post #203 of 226
Quote:

I'll email him and ask why got rid of it then. Back in 5 mins.

Good idea, sounds like you need some more time to make some better stories...

post #204 of 226
Quote:

Good idea, sounds like you need some more time to make some better stories...

(I just sent him a text instead, much faster)

He got rid of it because it ran like crap with ICS, not because he couldn't upgrade (at least unofficially). He hasn't gotten the official ICS from HTC because it hasn't been released yet.

My mistake, I put my hands up to that one. :)

So ICS was released in October 2011. His HTC is not going to receive it until July-August, some apps he uses (I think Sky Player is one of them) do not run on rooted Android devices and a hacked ICS for his phone runs like crap. Yup! Such a smooth upgrade path!

... at night.

... at night.

post #205 of 226
Quote:

(I just sent him a text instead, much faster)

He got rid of it because it ran like crap with ICS, not because he couldn't upgrade (at least unofficially). He hasn't gotten the official ICS from HTC because it hasn't been released yet.

My mistake, I put my hands up to that one. :)

So ICS was released in October 2011. His HTC is not going to receive it until July-August, some apps he uses (I think Sky Player is one of them) do not run on rooted Android devices and a hacked ICS for his phone runs like crap. Yup! Such a smooth upgrade path!

So really not much to say then...

post #206 of 226

So they've decided to go the 'no profit' route of Amazon? Yeah, smart move....

post #207 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't you think Google and MS employees have Apple developer accounts?

Further, any ideolog or paid shill can gain access to iOS prereleases for $99 per year.

Most people with access to the Maps are devs, not shills. It gets a bit odd, we seem like a cult, when we talk about paid shills. The Maps are materially worse in the Beta, and they won't be as good as Google at release by my reckoning. Nevertheless they are not that bad if they get more data and better road contrast - at the moment its hard to even see the roads. A lot depends on what you think about street view, my guess is Apple assumes that is a nice to have for most people. the 3D is ok where it works, but adds little value.

Quote:

So really not much to say then...

So, no need to post then.

Anyways, back to Apple. If Apple want to keep market share high all they need is a better looking seven inch iPad in the range of 100 dollars more than the competition. It might be a good idea to sell with iTunes Vouchers, as well, use content to sell hardware, rather than the reverse, which is what the opposition is doing. If the have a 3G version, they will have already won that market. The ecosystem, will sell it. 

In any case, Margins will have to decline, and Wall Street have priced that in.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #208 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

You better get down of your high horses right now because you are acting exactly like the typical stereotypical pretentious Apple fanboy. You aren't any better than anyone else just because you are using Apple products. For your info, I was a happy owner of a 3G and 3GS, I own an iMac and a MacBook Pro as well as an iPad. Am I sufficently qualified to express my opinion, sir? Do I have your permission?

Ecosystem : you are defining iTunes, but all that applies to Google Play as well. 

Updates : I'm buying Google Phones, my Nexus S is still supported after 2 years. 

NFC : it's a gimmick until Apple puts it in their next phone

Dictation : gratuitous statement

Maps : people always say here that you shouldn't compare that isn't even out with something that has been out for years. You obviously didn't try the beta... Again, your trolling is a total fail, everything you are talking about already exists on Google Maps (plus street view (yeah you don't use it I know)), 3D is soon coming, and, what? Yelp?? Lol that only works in the US, it's not as complete as Google adresses. 

Notifications : on ICS they are already better tham on iOS (single tap all-erase, better sorting). They are even better on JB (direct mail, messages, g+ fast answers in the notification tray.

Siri : it's so great that it's still called a beta, it often fails, it's uncapable of answering a simple question, it's uncapable to understand "itinerary to Wall Street" from outside the maps app.

I love Apple and only really buy Apple products if they are comparable because I prefer them for numerous reasons.  That said- this post is great and dead on.  Updates are the only thing I would argue with you on- most OEMs offer no updates at all.  So while you can find the exception, it definitely isn't the rule.

But you are dead on about NFC.  I actually would love it- a large number of stores in my city have them- almost all.  I'm also in a very wealthy area and newly constructed area of Texas (Collin County), so while it might not be widespread everywhere- it is here- and I want it.  I don't think its a gimmick at all.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #209 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

No need for cellular if you have an Android phone with mobile Wifi hotspot. As for MS, they claim their screen technology makes pixels indistinguishable. How good it'll look? Who knows, lets wait and see.

As Blunty explained above, why would I regularly want to drain two devices batteries to use one device?  He makes the case that it can occasionally be useful, but is dumb to consider as the default way to do things.

post #210 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Not political reasons, but monetary reasons.   You have to pay to use the API.   Apple has been paying Google quite a few bucks over the years.   They'd just like to keep that money in house from now on.

If that were true, and I personally don't believe it is, then it would be idiotic for Apple to massively degrade iOS maps when they have virtually unlimited cash in the bank. If the iOS 6 maps aren't Google level at launch, and it's hard to imagine they possibly could be, then it could be the final straw which forces me to switch.  As it is I'm close, - a deadly combination of iOS5 running like half dead sloth on my iPhone 4, horrible skeumorphic designs infesting the UI, and the microscopic screen size are not making me a happy customer.

post #211 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

If that were true, and I personally don't believe it is, then it would be idiotic for Apple to massively degrade iOS maps when they have virtually unlimited cash in the bank. If the iOS 6 maps aren't Google level at launch, and it's hard to imagine they possibly could be, then it could be the final straw which forces me to switch.  As it is I'm close, - a deadly combination of iOS5 running like half dead sloth on my iPhone 4, horrible skeumorphic designs infesting the UI, and the microscopic screen size are not making me a happy customer.

Bye.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #212 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bye.

Surely you can come up with something better than that?

post #213 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

As Blunty explained above, why would I regularly want to drain two devices batteries to use one device?  He makes the case that it can occasionally be useful, but is dumb to consider as the default way to do things.

This is exactly why I bought the cellular iPad.

post #214 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So, no need to post then.

I was referring to the poster I was replying to..obviously.

post #215 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Past performance does not equal future results.

Nobody knows what will happen in the tablet market.

Of course we do, regardless of what trollers say. iPad continues to dominate and that is not about to change. The Apple ecosystem is still far superior to G's. Fragmentation is still a huge issue for G that is going to continue to haunt them, as well as the fact that iOS is continuing to grow while Android is stagnating at the high end.
post #216 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Of course we do, regardless of what trollers say. iPad continues to dominate and that is not about to change. The Apple ecosystem is still far superior to G's. Fragmentation is still a huge issue for G that is going to continue to haunt them, as well as the fact that iOS is continuing to grow while Android is stagnating at the high end.

What exactly is better with the Apple ecosystem vs Google's?

post #217 of 226
Quote:

Surely you can come up with something better than that?

GOODbye.

How's that?

post #218 of 226
Quote:

GOODbye.
How's that?

No keep going, I've seen why better from you. Don't tell us you're losing your touch!

post #219 of 226
Quote:

No keep going, I've seen why better from you. Don't tell us you're losing your touch!

Oh, I've touch. I've touch left for a great many.

The older trolls, however, rarely warrant it. Nor do exceedingly common sense statements.

post #220 of 226
Quote:

Oh, I've touch. I've touch left for a great many.
The older trolls, however, rarely warrant it. Nor do exceedingly common sense statements.

i bet you 'have touch' for a great many...lol sorry, too funny to pass up.
post #221 of 226

looks pretty darn nice... 7 inch seems like the ideal size for portability, while not compromising the comfort of viewing... the iPad Mini is no longer just a rumor in the Taiwanese tech community... just today, insiders are saying case maker, Catcher Technology Co. Ltd., has received Apple's iPad Mini orders... this news is out prior to Digitimes.

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

post #222 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok Toss View Post

the iPad Mini is no longer just a rumor in the Taiwanese tech community... just today, insiders are saying case maker, Catcher Technology Co. Ltd., has received Apple's iPad Mini orders... this news is out prior to Digitimes.

And it's an even bigger lie than what DigiTimes says, which is surprising.

post #223 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok Toss View Post

looks pretty darn nice... 7 inch seems like the ideal size for portability, while not compromising the comfort of viewing...

But, but...  A 7 inch screen is not large enough to properly express tablet apps!

post #224 of 226
I ordered my Nexus 7 tonight. WOOHOO! Love the specs, especially the light weight.
post #225 of 226

Now overall, I won't say it's a bad tablet, I tested it out in the store before but the one thing that bothers me, is every time Google makes a new operating system, there is a high chance that it doesn't work with the previous device the last mobile OS that came out. Therefore you always have to buy a new device in order to use the new OS.

post #226 of 226

Interesting video on using the xbox360 wired controller with the Nexus7. Graphics look pretty nice BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KGFycGbmDmU

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199