or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Potential iMac release date.

Potential iMac release date.

post #1 of 38

With the imposed vacation blackout days being 22 July - 29 July..  That is exactly one week.  Is it possible that the iMac will be released roughly a week before this date?  

If they upgrade the item, the week before, and it "ships today" on the day of the upgrade then no one will receive the iMac until between those blackout dates, depending on the configuration.  I noticed base models usually ship same day, and configured models usually ship between 2-4 days.  Also, as observed by many members the new rMBP was arriving at peoples houses before some were showing up in stores, or even advertised in stores.  

This would be a very efficient way for them to ship new iMacs with Mountain Lion and have them arrive on the same day as Mountain Lion is released.  Or they could ship with Lion, and the first ones arrive on or just before Mountain Lion is released and the all hands on deck will be to assist new 2012 iMac purchasers and Mountain Lion assistance. 

Just some thoughts.  Feel free to comment either way.

post #2 of 38
They'll probably be shipping with Lion, but I suppose it doesn't matter if they don't, since 10.8 is a free upgrade.

I sort of don't want that to be the release date if it means a later one would equal a redesign. Not for its own sake, but for the betterment of the platform.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 38

So what you are saying is that if it release around Mountain Lion you  do NOT believe it will be a redesigned iMac, as opposed to holding off a few more months? 

post #4 of 38
At this point what does it matter? I mean really Mountain Lion is only a couple of weeks or so away, so we will know shortly one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucsstamticc View Post

With the imposed vacation blackout days being 22 July - 29 July..  That is exactly one week.  Is it possible that the iMac will be released roughly a week before this date?  
Why one week before?
Quote:
If they upgrade the item, the week before, and it "ships today" on the day of the upgrade then no one will receive the iMac until between those blackout dates, depending on the configuration.  I noticed base models usually ship same day, and configured models usually ship between 2-4 days.  Also, as observed by many members the new rMBP was arriving at peoples houses before some were showing up in stores, or even advertised in stores.  
if iMac comes in July it will likely be released with Mountain Lion. This mostly to leverage marketing.
Quote:
This would be a very efficient way for them to ship new iMacs with Mountain Lion and have them arrive on the same day as Mountain Lion is released.  Or they could ship with Lion, and the first ones arrive on or just before Mountain Lion is released and the all hands on deck will be to assist new 2012 iMac purchasers and Mountain Lion assistance. 

Just some thoughts.  Feel free to comment either way.

Frankly, unless the iMac is totally overhauled I will still consider it to be apiece of junk not worth my investment. I'm not so foolish as to get excited over something that has yet to debut, especially if it is just a bump.

My interest right now is in what happens to the Mini. Will it stay around, be redesigned or just get a bump? I'm really hoping that it gets a redesign so that the upper end model will have MBP like performance. Well maybe not exactly, but at least not as bad as the current Minis are relative to the MBPs. Basically I'm saying a quad core with a decent descrete GPU.

In a nut shell I'm bummed out with respect to Apples desktop hardware. Nothing they sell right now is respectable as far as design or market position goes. Apple really needs to get its act together on the desktop.
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

At this point what does it matter?

I never want to see you speculate on a future product again, then. lol.gif
Quote:
Frankly, unless the iMac is totally overhauled I will still consider it to be apiece of junk not worth my investment.

Yeah, you couldn't care less about the computer that everyone else wants. We get it.
Quote:
My interest right now is in what happens to the Mini. Will it stay around, be redesigned or just get a bump?

As it JUST got a redesign, no, you're not getting an xMac.

post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

At this point what does it matter?
I never want to see you speculate on a future product again, then. lol.gif
Maybe I need to take a happy pill today.

I'm really bummed out over how Apple has basically screwed the desktop users 20 ways to hell. I just have this doubt in my mind that the iMac will see much more than a serviceable upgrade. I still see Apple giving all of its creative skills to the laptop line and crapping out half assed desktop upgrades.

Now I'd be the first to admit that sales of Laptops are strong, everyone knows that. But that doesn't justify letting your desktops languish for years.
Quote:
Quote:
Frankly, unless the iMac is totally overhauled I will still consider it to be apiece of junk not worth my investment.
Yeah, you couldn't care less about the computer that everyone else wants. We get it.
Your assertion here that everybody wants an iMac is just wrong as sales are flat. What everybody wants are the new AIRs and 13" laptops with the 15" MBPs a very strong second.
Quote:
Quote:
My interest right now is in what happens to the Mini. Will it stay around, be redesigned or just get a bump?
As it JUST got a redesign, no, you're not getting an xMac.

We could debate for hours about what good that redesign did for the Mini. It basically moved the power supply to inside the box. It is highly debatable that that was the right thing to do. The Mini is still apparently a power limited machine that can't even leverage MBP class processors.

The thing here is that I might actually be happy with the Mini if Apple would just configure it so it wasn't such a bad deal.
post #7 of 38
Quote:

I'm really bummed out over how Apple has basically screwed the desktop users 20 ways to hell.

Hey. So am I. But not in the "we want a smaller tower" sense. In the "how's about some desktop power in an intelligent form factor that screams "Apple"?" sense.

post #8 of 38

But we do want a smaller tower. The mini is too restrictive and the pro is too expensive. The imac is nice but if I wanted a laptop CPU/GPU I would by a laptop.

I want to be able to choose a proper graphics card or two even. I also want to be able to swap the hard drive.if I need to.

Couldn't Apple do a headless macmidi or something that was between the min and the pro. bottom end of the pro CPU, 2 drives max (but with option of dvd if needed) and perhaps a slot for scsi/e-sata. I'm sure audio studios would like something in between as well.

post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post

But we do want a smaller tower.

Who's 'we', and why do you think the market wants a tower?
Quote:
…I wanted a laptop CPU/GPU I would by a laptop.

Guess you've not seen the iMac for over four years, then. Desktop processors for ages.
Quote:
Couldn't Apple do a headless macmidi or something that was between the min and the pro.

Of course they 'could'. But they won't because they couldn't care less about that market. I'm dumbfounded that people haven't gotten that yet.

post #10 of 38
Quote:

Your assertion here that everybody wants an iMac is just wrong as sales are flat. 

Dave, you'll have to learn that Apple's desktop sales are not flat. For the last 4 quarters (I have other things to do), desktop sales have increased YoY, 15%, 3%, 21% and 19%. For 2 of those quarters the increase YoY was higher for desktops than notebooks. While the absolute numbers are not huge (avg 1.2M/qtr), desktop sales are anything but flat: +14% this year (5,1M last 4 quarters) vs the year before (4.5M), and the ASP is still strong ($1325 vs $1371), and slightly higher than notebooks. Apple's desktop sales are in good shape given the current market.

post #11 of 38
Quote:

Guess you've not seen the iMac for over four years, then. Desktop processors for ages.

Loving my iMac 2011 (SSD, 27").  It flies through work. 

And it replaced a MacPro.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Dave, you'll have to learn that Apple's desktop sales are not flat. For the last 4 quarters (I have other things to do), desktop sales have increased YoY, 15%, 3%, 21% and 19%. For 2 of those quarters the increase YoY was higher for desktops than notebooks. While the absolute numbers are not huge (avg 1.2M/qtr), desktop sales are anything but flat: +14% this year (5,1M last 4 quarters) vs the year before (4.5M), and the ASP is still strong ($1325 vs $1371), and slightly higher than notebooks. Apple's desktop sales are in good shape given the current market.

And those sales were mainly iMacs and minis.

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

And those sales were mainly iMacs and minis.

Totally unfounded statement. We can obtain the same numbers with many different mixes of products. There is no way to find the real one from the numbers (and an ASP unchanged for many quarters). Only Apple knows.

post #14 of 38

maybe I should have said "probably"

post #15 of 38

I for one am kind of excited.  It will be my first Apple Desktop.  The Mac Pro is to much for me, and as I've stated elsewhere I need kind of an, "HQ" if you will for all of my data.  So a fully spec'd iMac, coupled with a 3TB Time Capsule(for back up and local storage).

So... The reason why I care is because even if it is just a spec bump it will be good for me seeing as how I do not already have an iMac.  

Also, Apple's website has altered its catch phrase for Mountain Lion... it now reads

Quote:
         OS X Mountain Lion
          This July, the MAC
        makes its next big leap.

It is referencing the computer and not the OS.  Also, I do NOT see how the new features for OS X are a BIG LEAP for MAC.  It would be a big leap for the OS, unless the MAC is changing as well. 

post #16 of 38
Quote:

It is referencing the computer and not the OS.

But is talking specifically about the software.
Quote:
Also, I do NOT see how the new features for OS X are a BIG LEAP for MAC.

Mac. Gotta catch it early.

And why don't you? Just curious.
Quote:
It would be a big leap for the OS, unless the MAC is changing as well. 

In what way would it change? I'm all for an iMac redesign. I'd like to see some ideas thrown around.

post #17 of 38

Well usually when Apple references upgrades in its software they say things like "the worlds most advanced operating system gets even better".  I believe they software could be great on its own with current Macs... and it probably will run great.  The absolute need to upgrade the hardware is not there.  Its everyone that wants to stay on the forefront of technology that is pushing the hardware.  Its the want of the consumer not the absolute need, as is the case for the Mac Pro, from what I understand.    

I hope people don't misconstrue that statement.  From everything that I have read on this and other forums, the current iMac runs like a dream.  Also based off of the leaked geekbench tests the numbers only indicate a slight boost performance, not nearly as drastic as the MBP from what I have read.  This could be for a few reasons, in my book.  Either the upgrade is only a minor spec bump to appease the masses( which would be un-Apple of them, as they do what they want anyway) or it could be a major overhaul including a retina display, and the display drawing on the upgraded components to allow only a slight bump in scores..  thus giving the image of a slightly spec bumped iMac.  I'm fairly new to the technical side of the Apple world but from what I understand.. a Retina display will draw a significant amount of computing power from the computer taking away from other tasks.. so maybe they figured out how to do it(retina) and also offer a slightly faster edge.  Would you buy a new iMac that was only slightly faster than previous version but had a retina display?  

The last time I looked at the iMacs in my local store I thought the picture quality was absolutely amazing.  So retina or not, I will be happy.. if there is than good it will be a nice bonus.  Personally I would just like to see some USB3.0 integrated, and HDMI (as in the newly released rMBP) also the upgraded Ivy Bridge, GPU's, and standard SSD. If they do a complete overhaul I would like to see them keep the superdrive(others have stated they would like it gone).

Personally I like the current overall appeal, and looks of the iMac, I just want the latest internals really.  But then again, I have not been staring at a 2011 iMac since it was first released ready for change so my opinion on that is biased based on I haven't had the luxury of having one. 

post #18 of 38

I remember when this board would be in a frenzy with even the tiniest Mac speed bump...

Now it's "yawn...iMac?  Whatever".

post #19 of 38
Quote:

At this point what does it matter? I mean really Mountain Lion is only a couple of weeks or so away, so we will know shortly one way or the other.
Frankly, unless the iMac is totally overhauled I will still consider it to be apiece of junk not worth my investment. I'm not so foolish as to get excited over something that has yet to debut, especially if it is just a bump.
My interest right now is in what happens to the Mini. Will it stay around, be redesigned or just get a bump? I'm really hoping that it gets a redesign so that the upper end model will have MBP like performance. Well maybe not exactly, but at least not as bad as the current Minis are relative to the MBPs. Basically I'm saying a quad core with a decent descrete GPU.
In a nut shell I'm bummed out with respect to Apples desktop hardware. Nothing they sell right now is respectable as far as design or market position goes. Apple really needs to get its act together on the desktop.

The Mini will never have the performance you need.  It isn't designed to be a computing solution for anyone, it's basically an OS X demo unit designed to be thrown out and replaced with an iMac or Mac Pro at the earliest convenience.  

Seriously, laptop components in a desktop computer?  Faster desktop components would make a cheaper, slightly larger computer that 90% of users would find more desireable, but then people would just buy Minis to use with their current LCD displays and forget about the iMac.  If that happened, Apple HQ would go to defcon 5 and initiate a major corporate restructuring, the first step of which would be to ax the entire Mac desktop lineup.  Apple are more likely to start selling rubber iDogsh!t than to offer a decent desktop Mac for under $2000.

post #20 of 38
Quote:

Well usually when Apple references upgrades in its software they say things like "the worlds most advanced operating system gets even better".  I believe they software could be great on its own with current Macs... and it probably will run great.  The absolute need to upgrade the hardware is not there.  Its everyone that wants to stay on the forefront of technology that is pushing the hardware.  Its the want of the consumer not the absolute need, as is the case for the Mac Pro, from what I understand.    

Not true.  The low end Mini is configured with 2 GB of RAM, and all the iMacs come with 4GB RAM standard, even the $2000 model.  All the MacBook Airs come with 4GB RAM standard.  Even the standard MacBook Pro models only come with 4GB RAM standard. 

I used a Mini with 2GB RAM for a few years, and I can say from experience that running OS X on 2GB of memory is TORTURE.  Open Lightroom, Word, Safari (with 10-20 tabs), Mail, iTunes, and Coda.  Try to switch between applications or between tabs in Safari and you will stare at the spinning beach ball.  4GB is the true bare minimum, but even that is not enough for running all the programs I listed above concurrently.

SSDs certainly improve RAM-limited performance to a degree, but optimally Apple needs to install a minimum of 4GB on all computers, and 8GB on any computer intended for use by anyone other than grandma.  So 2 GB for the Mini, maybe 4GB for the MacBook Air, and 8 GB for all other lines.  As long as Apple is selling Minis with 2GB RAM, they may as well go back to using Core 2 Duo CPUs in them, since it's better to shout than mumble "fu[k you" at customers.

Edited by Junkyard Dawg - 6/28/12 at 1:46pm
post #21 of 38

junkyard dawg, i guess i should have stated i was talking about differences in fully spec'd iMacs now to the one we saw in the leaked geekbench test.  I wont buy a computer that is not fully spec'd, just seems like a waste of money 

post #22 of 38
Quote:

junkyard dawg, i guess i should have stated i was talking about differences in fully spec'd iMacs now to the one we saw in the leaked geekbench test.  I wont buy a computer that is not fully spec'd, just seems like a waste of money 

You're better off buying the base version and upgrading it yourself.  Buying a fully spec'd Mac is a huge waste of money!

post #23 of 38

I would be worried about losing any warranty I may have and messing it up.  I am not to savvy when it comes to installing my own hardware(internally, i know how to plug into the ports and what not lol)

I would not want to mess up my AppleCare

post #24 of 38
Quote:

This is just too silly for words. On any computer you buy, upgrades typically carry the highest markup of anything, yet most of the time they do not future proof the computer as many people would like to think. CPU upgrades are one of the worst these days unless you're taking a leap in core count and can make use of it. The bar graphs and geekbench scores might look pretty, but future computer generations can outpace that difference considerably at times. You should just buy what makes sense relative to your computing needs without leaving anything barely within spec relative to your needs. The idea that buying an upgrade will grant you an extra year out of the machine isn't really true unless it offers something truly significant.

post #25 of 38

well... thats kinda what a lot of people are waiting on right...?   waiting to see if there is something "truly significant" ...  I agree about small spec bumps.. but such is the problem with Apple, you don't really know.. but with the last upgrade being a year ago, and a new desktop OS release, and signs pointing to a newer, up to date configuration then why not go with the newer one.. 

post #26 of 38
Quote:

then why not go with the newer one.. 

I never said not to go for the newer one. I was saying that worrying about the maximum upgrades  (as in cto options) isn't a good strategy. It seems like I just misinterpreted your wording. I wasn't saying it's a bad idea to wait for ivy bridge. I was just saying you should assess what model makes sense for you when that does arrive. I'm thinking they'll arrive with mountain lion.

post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I remember when this board would be in a frenzy with even the tiniest Mac speed bump...

Now it's "yawn...iMac?  Whatever".

Of course, nowadays people are very busy with the Apple-made iDevices in their hands. No time/interest for real computers anymore.

post #28 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post

But we do want a smaller tower.
Who's 'we', and why do you think the market wants a tower?
I don't think it is a tower as much as it is something better than a Mini. Let's face it the Mini could be a lot better simply by employing better than bargain basement mobile processors. If the machine offered up near MBP performance it wouldn't be too bad. Also one shouldn't have to be a surgeon to add a diskdrive to the machine.
Quote:
Quote:
…I wanted a laptop CPU/GPU I would by a laptop.
People do seem to mis that! However better GPUs would be welcomed.
Quote:
Quote:
Couldn't Apple do a headless macmidi or something that was between the min and the pro.
Of course they 'could'. But they won't because they couldn't care less about that market. I'm dumbfounded that people haven't gotten that yet.

Considering the state of desktop sales I'm surprised that Apple has gotten it yet. The whole lineup has been neglected and is kinda ho hum in its ability to spur sales. Forcing customer to choose between an iMac and nothing just isn't good business sense. Often customers choose laptops simply because it is the best option available from Apple.
post #29 of 38
Quote:

Dave, you'll have to learn that Apple's desktop sales are not flat.
They have been flat in the USA which is the only thing that counts. .
Quote:
For the last 4 quarters (I have other things to do), desktop sales have increased YoY, 15%, 3%, 21% and 19%. For 2 of those quarters the increase YoY was higher for desktops than notebooks.
Most of those sales are into new markets where it is easy to boost sales every quarter.
Quote:
While the absolute numbers are not huge (avg 1.2M/qtr), desktop sales are anything but flat: +14% this year (5,1M last 4 quarters) vs the year before (4.5M), and the ASP is still strong ($1325 vs $1371), and slightly higher than notebooks. Apple's desktop sales are in good shape given the current market.

Well Apple could keep improving those numbers by simply expanding sales to China for year to come. It means nothing though when one looks at what is happening in the USA. Sales have basically flattened right out with both the Mini and the Mac Pro seeing significant declines. The numbers aren't debatable here and reflect what Apple says is happening.

Look it is always easy to post nice numbers if you are effectively selling in new markets. The problem is with what is happening in mature markets, it is here that Apples desktop line is having significant problems. Weak sales in the USA are a strong indicator of problems with the product line. It isn't a question of the economy either, people are feed up with the ho hum nature and Apples general lack of interest.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

The Mini will never have the performance you need.  It isn't designed to be a computing solution for anyone, it's basically an OS X demo unit designed to be thrown out and replaced with an iMac or Mac Pro at the earliest convenience.  
Wow talk about a load of crap! You do realize that people buy Minis and actually use them?
Quote:
Seriously, laptop components in a desktop computer?  Faster desktop components would make a cheaper, slightly larger computer that 90% of users would find more desireable, but then people would just buy Minis to use with their current LCD displays and forget about the iMac.  
Actually faster laptop chips would go a long way to improving the Mini. At least in one model, I don't discount the need for an entry level machine, just that people need a significantly faster model too.
Quote:
If that happened, Apple HQ would go to defcon 5 and initiate a major corporate restructuring,
I hear this arguement all the time and again it is bull crap. Many people won't even consider an iMac and this are forced to choose between a Mini and a laptop. Apple isn't loosing iMac sales to any other product because those sales are going to people that would never buy the current iMacs.
Quote:
the first step of which would be to ax the entire Mac desktop lineup.  Apple are more likely to start selling rubber iDogsh!t than to offer a decent desktop Mac for under $2000.

Even an old dog can learn something new given patient teaching. In this regard I think Apple could learn to produce something new, they just need to be taught what customers want.
post #31 of 38
Quote:

They have been flat in the USA which is the only thing that counts. .

Most of those sales are into new markets where it is easy to boost sales every quarter.

Well Apple could keep improving those numbers by simply expanding sales to China for year to come. It means nothing though when one looks at what is happening in the USA. Sales have basically flattened right out with both the Mini and the Mac Pro seeing significant declines. The numbers aren't debatable here and reflect what Apple says is happening.

Look it is always easy to post nice numbers if you are effectively selling in new markets. The problem is with what is happening in mature markets, it is here that Apples desktop line is having significant problems. Weak sales in the USA are a strong indicator of problems with the product line. It isn't a question of the economy either, people are feed up with the ho hum nature and Apples general lack of interest.

LOL, the USA are a marginal market now. Just like Luxembourg or Guinea-Bissau.

What happens in the USA alone doesn't even matter. Since when are we talking about Apple as regional outlet? In any case, Apple doesn't disclose the mix in each region, let alone in each country, so: FU. You don't have any numbers so, yes, there's nothing to debate here. You're just making assumptions all the way about the US market. Nowhere have I heard or read that Apple's desktop sales have been flat in the US and that it was because of a significant decline of MM and MP sales. Maybe it's the case in your neighborhood, or local Best Buy shop, but that means nothing.

Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but you have become irrelevant.

post #32 of 38
Start by reading this:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/25/lesser-known-facts-from-apples-earnings-statement/

If you do even a modicum of research you can find more information about what is going on with Apple sales in the USA. It is a silly mistake to think I'm pulling this information out of my butt.

As to how much that matters we could debate that for years. However I believe it is a trend where consummers tend to reject desktops from Apple in favor of more advanced technology in the laptops.
Quote:

LOL, the USA are a marginal market now. Just like Luxembourg or Guinea-Bissau.

What happens in the USA alone doesn't even matter. Since when are we talking about Apple as regional outlet? In any case, Apple doesn't disclose the mix in each region, let alone in each country, so: FU. You don't have any numbers so, yes, there's nothing to debate here. You're just making assumptions all the way about the US market. Nowhere have I heard or read that Apple's desktop sales have been flat in the US and that it was because of a significant decline of MM and MP sales. Maybe it's the case in your neighborhood, or local Best Buy shop, but that means nothing.

Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but you have become irrelevant.
post #33 of 38
Quote:

Start by reading this:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/25/lesser-known-facts-from-apples-earnings-statement/
If you do even a modicum of research you can find more information about what is going on with Apple sales in the USA. It is a silly mistake to think I'm pulling this information out of my butt.
As to how much that matters we could debate that for years. However I believe it is a trend where consummers tend to reject desktops from Apple in favor of more advanced technology in the laptops.

Oh yes, you're pulling this out of your butt.

I'm very familiar with tuaw's article (well,... blog), and nowhere in there, they are saying that Apple's desktop sales have been flat in the US and that it was because of a significant decline of MM and MP sales. And they have very little insider information in there, it's a regular analysis as many others have done + some speculation, because Apple doesn't disclose more detailled info.

In any case, the only little bit of info that could be twisted in your favor is about North America, and North America is not the US neither (no matter what you yankees think). And, of course, the reason given is an economical one, unlike you stated in your previous post. Nonetheless, you cannot draw conclusions from a single quarter numbers only, because that doesn't take much into account (seasonality, saturation, launch of new products, etc...). A single quarter results doesn't make a trend. What you believe is unfortunatly nothing more than speculation, not an once of fact in there.

post #34 of 38
Quote:

Oh yes, you're pulling this out of your butt.
Nope pulling it off the web. The same web that you can find similar posting about Apples desktop sales.
Quote:
I'm very familiar with tuaw's article (well,... blog), and nowhere in there, they are saying that Apple's desktop sales have been flat in the US and that it was because of a significant decline of MM and MP sales. And they have very little insider information in there, it's a regular analysis as many others have done + some speculation, because Apple doesn't disclose more detailled info.
Then read Apples reports.
Quote:
In any case, the only little bit of info that could be twisted in your favor is about North America, and North America is not the US neither (no matter what you yankees think). And, of course, the reason given is an economical one, unlike you stated in your previous post. Nonetheless, you cannot draw conclusions from a single quarter numbers only, because that doesn't take much into account (seasonality, saturation, launch of new products, etc...). A single quarter results doesn't make a trend. What you believe is unfortunatly nothing more than speculation, not an once of fact in there.

Is it really speculation to say Apple has declining desktop sales due to neglect? The Mac Pro is a glaring example here, the architecture of this machine is old and now adays slow. If you don't think that forces users to look elsewhere then I'm not sure this conversation is worthwhile.
post #35 of 38
Quote:

Is it really speculation to say Apple has declining desktop sales due to neglect? The Mac Pro is a glaring example here, the architecture of this machine is old and now adays slow.

Now. You can't say that about the product before the launch of the Sandy Bridge Xeons.

post #36 of 38
Quote:

Now. You can't say that about the product before the launch of the Sandy Bridge Xeons.

I did say "now adays". I dont want to discount Intels part in this sad story, but Apple blew it big time by skipping Sandy Bridge E and phoning in this micro update. I really don't care if they have a new machine due to launch next year, 8-10 months is a long time to watch technology pass you by.

By the way, they probably did phone in this update to the Mac Pro. It amounted to nothing more than canceling existing orders and substituting the new processors from Intel. The total lack of effort here seems to be what is pissing people off in regards to Apples desktop line up. In this regard I suspect an uproar if the iMac doesn't update around the time of Mountain Lions release.

The fact of the matter is that people will see this as a screw up on Apples part no matter what sort of update the iMac gets, if it lags the Ivy Bridge release by more than 3-4 months.
post #37 of 38
Quote:

I don't want to discount Intels part in this sad story, but Apple blew it big time by skipping Sandy Bridge E and phoning in this micro update.

I'll wait to agree with you until after I see what they're doing with it next.
Quote:
By the way, they probably did phone in this update to the Mac Pro.

I will agree with that right now, however.
Quote:
In this regard I suspect an uproar if the iMac doesn't update around the time of Mountain Lions release.

Maybe. I tend to agree, but perhaps not.

post #38 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

I don't want to discount Intels part in this sad story, but Apple blew it big time by skipping Sandy Bridge E and phoning in this micro update.
I'll wait to agree with you until after I see what they're doing with it next.
There are two ways to look at this, one as a customer and one as the management team at Apple.

From the perspective of a customer, especially one that needs to purchase a high performance computer this year, the "update" to the Mac Pro this year is a terrible thing to have to deal with.
Quote:
Quote:
By the way, they probably did phone in this update to the Mac Pro.
I will agree with that right now, however.
It is pretty disgusting when you think about it. They didn't even take the time to plant a new video card in the machine. Considering that video cards are very important to certain classes of Mac Pro users, the update look damn foolish.
Quote:
Quote:
In this regard I suspect an uproar if the iMac doesn't update around the time of Mountain Lions release.
Maybe. I tend to agree, but perhaps not.
Most people that follow what I say here realize I have no love for the current iMac. That could change in the future if Apple addressed a few issues with it. However the iMac is well loved by a huge number of users, many are waiting on an update. They have good reason to wait too, as Ivy Bridge brings much to the machine. So I wouldn't be surprised if the gang starts to get restless.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Potential iMac release date.