or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

post #1 of 103
Google on Wednesday unveiled a new $299 hardware device called the "Nexus Q" that allows users to stream music, movies and music from the Google Play storefront.

Like the $99 Apple TV, Google's Nexus Q will allow users to connect their mobile devices to an HDTV or entertainment center. Content available on an Android phone or tablet, including YouTube, can be streamed to the Nexus Q.

The sphere-shaped Nexus Q can be connected to an HDTV, a sound system, or even just a set of speakers. Google has dubbed the device as the "first social streaming media player," as it allows users to create collaborative music queues with friends adding their own songs to a playlist.

The Nexus Q runs on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and is powered by a dual-core OMAP 4460 processor. It features 16 gigabytes of built-in storage and will be available in mid-July for $299.

In addition to connecting to external devices, it also features a built-in 25-watt amp that allows the Nexus Q to power speakers without a separate A/V receiver. It also has an optical audio port and Ethernet jack; Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC support; and HDMI output along with an included HDMI cable.

The Nexus Q will support content from Google-centric applications including Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, Google Play TV, and YouTube.

The media streaming device is different from the Android-based Google TV platform that the search giant launched as an Apple TV competitor in 2010. But Google TV, which has been found on hardware built by third-party developers, offers features like Web browsing and installable applications, while the Nexus Q is portrayed as a device that integrates tightly with Google Play content and nearby Android mobile devices.
post #2 of 103
Apple TV's a square, Nexus Q's a circle.

"HEY, WHAT'S A QUICK WAY TO SHOW WE'RE NOT COPYING?!"

Social crap out the wazoo… *sigh* Hopefully Google's continued pushing in this department will only mean Apple releases a non-hobby solution (NOT A FREAKING PANEL) that much sooner!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 103

Apple TV $99. Roku $49-69. This thing $299. Hmmm. 

post #4 of 103

Apple TV says TV. Nexus Q is meaningless.

Actually, it sounds like a hair replacement system.

post #5 of 103

It must be a joke.

post #6 of 103

It's kind of like an Apple TV, but for only 3 times the cost.

Brilliant.

post #7 of 103

I remember adding songs to a Playlist queue in iTunes on parties using iPhone's, multiple persons could do it. 

post #8 of 103

Yeah, I'm going to pay $299 to watch a Google brainiac peel a banana and let friends and family mess with my playlists.

002.jpg

Edited by Cpsro - 6/27/12 at 12:57pm
post #9 of 103

Moronic.

Fail.

post #10 of 103

This is as expensive as there first attempt with Logitech for $699!!

No thank you.

post #11 of 103

A little flummoxed on this one. $299 for a device tied to the Google ecosystem competing with the likes of the much cheaper Apple TV (offers streaming services to Apple's ecosystem with some third-party support) and devices like the Roku (no great streaming, but excellent support for third-party services)? And I didn't see mention of services like Netflix and Hulu Plus. For it to be worth $299 in my mind it would have to have some strong differentiating features such as support for competing services (it being a given that it won't support Apple's ecosystem), the ability to store data locally (or some really fantastic and easy-to-use network capable storage whether to a networked hard drive or computer), or integrated hardware capabilities such as a Blu-Ray player. Otherwise it just feels like a $299 answer to the $99 Apple TV.

Looking forward to finding out more about it though.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #12 of 103

Based on the logo, I'd say Q stands for Quicktime lol

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #13 of 103

It's not really an Apple TV though is it? For one thing, it doesn't need to be plugged into a TV, and it's got an amp built in. It seems to be Google's attack on Airplay more than Apple TV (as far as I can see this thing doesn't have any actual user interface, that's all controlled by the phone/tablet). Certainly an odd device, for $299 it's hard to see what market they're going for. Weird.

post #14 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yeah, I'm going to pay $299 to watch a Google brainiac peel a banana and let friends and family mess with my playlists.

That's one of my niggles, too. I don't want anyone touching my stuff, I don't want anyone messing with my stuff, if they want to bring their iPad over and show me a movie or a link or something, fine, but that shouldn't affect my hardware and my settings in any way.

post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy View Post

I remember adding songs to a Playlist queue in iTunes on parties using iPhone's, multiple persons could do it. 

Yep - though there were a couple of differences:

1. You need to have iTunes running on a Mac/PC somewhere. With this, you don't. Not really a big deal, as who doesn't have a Mac or PC that will have a Nexus Q?

2. You could only request and vote on songs in the library belonging to that Mac/PC, not from your own library. The Q allows you to add songs from your phone.

A slight advantage, but not worth $200 extra dollars for the Q. For $200 the party host with the AppleTV can buy any requested song and add it to his library on the spot.

post #16 of 103

This is NOT the normal price the device will cost. Everyone in the tech press is getting it wrong it seems. It’s not the normal shape/size either.

$299 is specifically for this Big Lebowski Special Edition version.

post #17 of 103
I'll stick with my Apple TV or any device for that matter whose sole purpose isn't gathering my personal information so they can turn around and sell it.

Facebook and Google really creep me out. Their whole revenue model is base on collecting users personal info and selling it, while bombarding you with ads geared specifically to you.

I don't take much of an issue with targeted advertising as such unless it gets out of control. I do have a problem with companies whose revenue model is centered around tracking my every movement online so they can sell it.

Apple isn't perfect, but at least their business plan revolves around making and selling actual stuff, not harvesting my info for resale.
post #18 of 103

Sweet... A bowling ball with wifi.

post #19 of 103

I don't get it.  It costs more than the Apple TV.  It allows my dorky friends with bad taste in music to change my playlist.  Why would I want anyone to change my playlist and to top it off to pay more than an AppleTV for that crapability?  

Does everything HAVE to be socially connected.  Can't we just do things on our own anymore without consulting a friend for a confidence check?  

The Borg on Star Trek was something to avoid and yet in real-life more people purposely put their lives into a collective - between Facebook, Google, and fill in any other social interface.  

post #20 of 103
Interesting.

Google Nexus Q seems like a competitor to iTunes DJ but iTunes DJ is built right into iTunes and you can stream content to AppleTV for the same experience.

No non-Google apps apparently. Triple the price of AppleTV. WTF. Those robots will buy anything!

Even Apple has Netflix on AppleTV.

What drives me crazy is that Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:

Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4) with 16 GB SSD
iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
Apps, Apps, Apps
Optional $50 AppleTV Motion Sensing Remote ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
Optional $100 AppleTV Hands-Free Motion Sensor

I think they could possibly even sell such a device for $100 with optional accessories:
AppleTV (4th generation) $100
AppleTV Motion Sensing Remote $50 each
AppleTV Hands-Free Motion Sensor $100

That's $300 for many, many millions of people or only $100 for a new AppleTV (4th generation) with remote or use your iPad or iPhone as a motion sensing remote. Perhaps Siri could be triggered via iPad or iPhone.

I am not sure how best to implement Siri ... Mic on the remote? Triggered by the Remote but mic on the AppleTV? Volume reduction or mute on the television? The optional remote would be for those who want a more traditional game console paradigm. Would an optional motion sensing input device be possible as well? Apple sells a large number of accessories so such a remote is a possibility.

The only issue with AppleTV now is AirPlay. AirPlay demonstrates considerable lag when hosting multi-player gaming and streaming content to a AppleTV connected television for high-end games.

I am convinced Apple is saving this for a hat trick in 2013 or 2014. While Apple could add a few more hardware features and many more software features to the iPad and iPhone they are approaching a saturation point for features and functionality very rapidly.
post #21 of 103

How is this thing more expensive than the Nexus 7? It has a crappier processor, no screen, but lots of ports... but $100 difference?

post #22 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yep - though there were a couple of differences:

1. You need to have iTunes running on a Mac/PC somewhere. With this, you don't. Not really a big deal, as who doesn't have a Mac or PC that will have a Nexus Q?

2. You could only request and vote on songs in the library belonging to that Mac/PC, not from your own library. The Q allows you to add songs from your phone.

A slight advantage, but not worth $200 extra dollars for the Q. For $200 the party host with the AppleTV can buy any requested song and add it to his library on the spot.

And enough to buy an iPod Touch, too, for guests to make requests and vote upcoming songs up/down in Party Mode (or whatever Apple calls it).

Also, Apple TV will stream songs from an iPhone or iPad (maybe not vote on them), as well as direct from ITunes Match I believe; so a Mac or PC is not technically needed.

And I wonder which will end up with the most quality apps? (Academic for now, but...)

post #23 of 103

I know this is almost irrelevant to the topic at hand but does anyone else find it strange that a company as big as Google always uses such generic, corporate presentation-sounding music in the background of their marketing videos (as is the case with the one posted above)? I mean, c'mon guys. Spend some of that money you're sitting on. License some decent music for this stuff. 

lol.gif

post #24 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

This is NOT the normal price the device will cost. Everyone in the tech press is getting it wrong it seems. It’s not the normal shape/size either.

$299 is specifically for this Big Lebowski Special Edition version.

...More like the Big Lewinski...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #25 of 103

$300??? LULZ

FAIL!

post #26 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

How is this thing more expensive than the Nexus 7? It has a crappier processor, no screen, but lots of ports... but $100 difference?

Exactly.  This thing should have been $199 at MOST.  I also think the Apple TV is underpriced- but I'm not complaining.  Roku is still the best box out there if you aren't invested in the Apple Ecosystem.... so $89 for more- or THREE HUNDRED for less?  They're out of their minds.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #27 of 103
Really $299? Wow let me see get three apple TV's, even more Roku's or one of these... let me think... no wait it's hard to decide...
post #28 of 103

Oh, I get the $299 now. With NFC support, you'll be able to check in at the airport or pay at $tarbuks with your Nexus Q, merely after finding a spare power outlet. And Googs will get to catalog all of the NFC-enabled devices that come and go in your house, for an added sense of privacy that only Googs can provide.

post #29 of 103

$300 worth of fail.

post #30 of 103
$299?! Have it at suckers.
post #31 of 103

Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

post #32 of 103

Apparently, Google wants to get into the hardware business -- because it is so easy and you make lots of money... that is, if you know what to do and can execute!

The Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus Q (whatever it is) are not reference designs for Google's OEM Partners -- unlike the GoogleTV before them -- these are Google products (with outsourced manufacturing).

What does this mean for sales, service and support?  

I guess you'll be able to buy these (tablets and "Q') at BestBuy et al.  (Maybe they got "Q" from the James Bond movies).

If it breaks:

-- where do you take/send it for repair/replacement?

-- who do you call for support/service?

-- how do you backup and recover your data?

There is a lot more to a successful social/personal-data "product" than just hardware and software.

Based on what I've read, Google has no (or a very poor) track record in the marketing, distribution, repair and support areas -- and, AFAIK, lacks the infrastructure to perform these necessary services for consumer hard goods.

A simple "replacement" policy is off-putting to the consumer if he has invested time and data in setting up the device -- then has to start from scratch on a replacement device?

$200 is not a lot of money, but it is not something to throw away either.

If I cannot backup and restore my data, contacts, etc. the device is of little value -- and I certainly would not entrust these to Google!

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 6/27/12 at 12:46pm

post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Implying what, exactly? That Google can't even manage to copy that correctly? lol.gif

post #34 of 103

For $300.... I put the Nexus Q right there with the Dyson Air Multiplier Fan.  Both overly priced for what they do. 

Feels like deja vu with the Logitech Revue Google TV and it's now at $99

post #35 of 103

i have to say, this product at that price is simply absurd. what in the world is Google thinking??

hint to Google: if you're looking for a pitiful 25W wired speaker set - which no one does anymore except for desktop computer setups - you don't need a separate amp. most are self-powered units now, available at all price levels and qualities.

another hint: the future of home setups is all wireless. bluetooth at least. AirPlay at best.

this would have been a really cool product - in 1998.

post #36 of 103
Quote:

Yeah, and we'll see how many of the big mouthed liars who claim that they will pay more for USA made products will actually buy this.

post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnoble View Post

It's kind of like an Apple TV, but for only 3 times the cost.

Brilliant.

Don't forget, you also need to buy the tablet as the remote control.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #38 of 103
Quote:

I saw a "Made in USA" on the circuit board but did they actually say the whole thing is made in USA?

post #39 of 103

Here a model poses with the Gantz..sorry...the "Nexus Q':

gantz_live_action_scan_01.jpg

There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I saw a "Made in USA" on the circuit board but did they actually say the whole thing is made in USA?

Yeah, I wonder where the chips, SSDs, RAM, capacitors, etc. are made!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'