or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q' - Page 3

post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

I doubt it was all made in the USA. Probably just assembled in the USA.

edit: Yep! Says designed and manufactured in the USA on the bottom.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #82 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I doubt it was made in the USA. Probably just assembled in the USA.

Soli, Wired has a very in-depth look at the Q, along with a lot of opinion on whether it's got any possibilty for success. You should read it. Personally I don't have much hope for it, at least as it's done now. if Google is truly committed to improvements and feature additions on future iterations? Perhaps...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/google-nexus-q-revealed/all/

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Soli, Wired has a very in-depth look at the Q, along with a lot of opinion on whether it's got any possibilty for success. You should read it. Personally I don't have much hope for it, at least as it's done now. if Google is truly committed to improvements and feature additions on future iterations? Perhaps...
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/google-nexus-q-revealed/all/

I was just reading that this teardown article.

Interesting that the Nexus 7 is assembled in China. That US assembly is costing them dearly but without economy of scale I wonder how much of a hit to cost it really is.

post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1970 View Post

Except for Facebook, the incorporation of social in media devices is TOTALLY overblown and simply will not fly. I don't wanna interact with friends and move playlists around etc. It's yet another learning curve, and it depends on those said friends to also be knowledgable and WANT to interact. They usually don't.

You "don't wanna to interact with friends" -- that is just sad.

post #85 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

You "don't wanna to interact with friends" -- that is just sad.

So you're fine with your friends telling you how to decorate your house, landscape your lawn, and what appliances to buy?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yep - though there were a couple of differences:
1. You need to have iTunes running on a Mac/PC somewhere. With this, you don't. Not really a big deal, as who doesn't have a Mac or PC that will have a Nexus Q?
The Apple TV doesn't need iTunes or a PC/Mac. That's only necessary if you want to stream content from a library hosted on a machine. You can stream directly from the Internet (including your music library if you have iTunes Match), an iPad, or iPhone. Netflix and iTMS are two such content streaming providers but here are more.
post #87 of 103
For those that think this is an attempt to compete with the AppleTV, get out of the house a little! It is more like a Sonos ConnectAmp that also adds in video support for half the price. I doubt the software side is as elegant as Sonos (which could be a lot better), but if it wasn't a magic eit ball it might gain some traction.
post #88 of 103
NFC? I am with the Patriots so AFC for me only , thank you very much! Oh, I'm a tad compulsive so this sphere thing won't fit into my squared/rectangular decor.... ;-) I wonder which go first in the design conception stage... the 'Q' in Nexus Q or the sphere shape... Sometime people tried too hard thinking inside the box.
post #89 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its a neat device. apple is for the geriatrics at heart and the just plain old people.

i assume you're just baiting us. because otherwise this remark is unbelievably stupid.

post #90 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're fine with your friends telling you how to decorate your house, landscape your lawn, and what appliances to buy?

That is a bad example, but yes I would ask friends for advice before doing something like that. If you cannot ask friends about something as unimportant as decorating, how do you ask them the really important things in life?

But sticking to the point, when I'm hanging out with my friends then everyone is allowed to make music requests.

post #91 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

That is a bad example, but yes I would ask friends for advice before doing something like that.

See, you don't get the choice here. They can just go ahead and make the changes… It's not "asking for advice", it's "being given advice".

post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I always love demos of an inexpensive box @$100 connected to a $1000+ video output source.

Ya.. they should use a 13" CRT to demo it. lol.gif

I can't reiterate enough how much this thing SUCKS for the price.  Roku dominates the ATV in every facet if you aren't tied to the Apple Ecosystem.  ATV dominates this joke by a mile.  I'll be keeping my ATVs thanks..... or, maybe I'll sell all 3 and buy these for $900!!!!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #93 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

For those that think this is an attempt to compete with the AppleTV, get out of the house a little! It is more like a Sonos ConnectAmp that also adds in video support for half the price. I doubt the software side is as elegant as Sonos (which could be a lot better), but if it wasn't a magic eit ball it might gain some traction.

I mentioned the Sonos but if that was the target it's a huge "Who cares?"

post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Made in the U.S.A. Contrary to Apple: Made in China

Final assembly in the U.S.A. from foreign-sourced parts.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #95 of 103

Apple TV 3 features at Apple TV 1 prices! 

post #96 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Because, hey man, it really ties the room together.

You took a stretch of a joke and made a huge save with that line. Thank you.
post #97 of 103

Nice. Google is the new Microsoft. Hope it works out well for them, like Windows Vista/8/Surface. I guess "do no evil" = slavish copying. Bye Google, was nice to know ya...

post #98 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

you would have to be the original user of that since you have no clue whatsoever!

i'll fix the wording for you for a more general purpose... Android sucks, and it users suck more!!  Android sucks, and it users suck more!!  Android sucks, and it users suck more!!  

i am guessing you thought 'Spinal Tap' was a real rock band...
post #99 of 103
Is it me or is Google reinventing the wheel again. There are so many "Google" services I can't keep up. Why did't they commit themselves to building upon somethin already in existence than having another, excuse my french, but bastard child. I constantly hear of this or that but never development on past offerings, where's the support for people who bought into the last bright idea? Google has missed the point here I think, the device is suppose to support and augment sales, not be the sale. Let's not forget this is Google and it will be another engine to mill advertising information, at a cost to you.
post #100 of 103
What are the special added features, the amps? I don't see that being a popular feature unless it also gets HDMI inputs to source switch. The market didn't get swept with GoogleTV, so I doubt anyone is going to get rid of their receiver or buy speakers just for the Q. If it did have an HDMI switch, then I might even consider it. Most receivers are quite large and I don't actually need that much power, nor do I need a radio tuner. A few watts per channel are all that are really needed.

Assembled in Silicon Valley can't be cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post

The currently shipping version of Apple TV doesn't require a computer at all. It is totally self-running. Hopefully a future OS or hardware update will allow users to download apps like other iOS devices.

Correct. And you can use AirPlay to stream media from your iOS device to an AppleTV. Best I can tell, this adds "social", a convenient buzzword that might cause more trouble than it's worth. Letting anyone add to the playlist might be OK, but letting just anyone reorder the playlist might be asking for trouble. Possible social snafus aside, te playlist management idea does look interesting.
post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by deFrancisco View Post

Is it me or is Google reinventing the wheel again. There are so many "Google" services I can't keep up. Why did't they commit themselves to building upon somethin already in existence than having another, excuse my french, but bastard child. I constantly hear of this or that but never development on past offerings, where's the support for people who bought into the last bright idea? Google has missed the point here I think, the device is suppose to support and augment sales, not be the sale. Let's not forget this is Google and it will be another engine to mill advertising information, at a cost to you.

Nexus, Android, Google TV, Nexus Q, ChromeOS, Google Play... Google is starting to be like Microsoft. Copy what's successful (aka Apple) and hope for the best. Innovation appears to be drastically slowing down at Google. Quite sad, actually. Well, the chickens have come home to roost for Google. "Domination" at any cost, like Microsoft. And so...
post #102 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yeah, I'm going to pay $299 to watch a Google brainiac peel a banana and let friends and family mess with my playlists.

What I don't understand is why I need a $300 device to access my cloud for this. why can't I just use my computer or my device directly and wifi stream it via some app. you know sort of like Airplay

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What I don't understand is why I need a $300 device to access my cloud for this. why can't I just use my computer or my device directly and wifi stream it via some app. you know sort of like Airplay

Shhh don't tell Google. But we need 1080p mirroring to AppleTV soon, hopefully. Then things on the Apple side at least will make more sense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'