or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google says 12 Android devices activated every second, 400M to date

Google says 12 Android devices activated every second, 400M to date - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No. Each device ID is counted only once. Rooting, resetting or selling your phone to another user doesn't get counted again. Devices that don't include Google services such as the Kindle Fire aren't counted either. Nor supposedly are Wi-Fi only tablets since there's no carrier "activation".

I'm not sure how they track that. Google Play doesn't access the IMEI number, AFAIK.

So let's say you activate a phone, then swap the SIM to move to a different network and activate it again. Probably counts as a separate activation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #42 of 66

Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are these devices?!!  All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions.  The same held true during the years I endured an Android phone (before my carrier started carrying the iPhone).

Also, if this is even remotely true, how are Google's mobile profits still being generated overwhelmingly on iOS devices?

post #43 of 66

Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are these devices?!!  All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions.  The same held true during the years I endured an Android phone (before my carrier started carrying the iPhone).

Also, if this is even remotely true, how are Google's mobile profits still being generated overwhelmingly on iOS devices?

post #44 of 66

"All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions."

That should be:

"All I see are iPhones and iPads except with rare exceptions." 

Not sure what happened or why I can't seem to edit my previous post.

post #45 of 66
What Apple net profit daily is even more than Google daily revenue . That is what I care !
post #46 of 66

Nah, they're just trying to explain to Android developers why they don't make as much money on Android apps as iOS apps.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 66

I stand corrected...In THIS thread we find out how insecure a lot of Apple users tend to be.

post #48 of 66

So... wait.

((60x60)x24)x12 = 1,036,800 devices a day.

1,036,800 x 365 = 339,960,000 devices a year.

Yeah, no... I hate it when they do "we sell this many a second" because its obviously a load of bollocks. Around 400 millions Personal Computers were shipped in 2011 - that I can believe; laptops, netbooks, PCs, Macs, ultrabooks, desknotes, workstations and so forth - it all adds up and a PC is a necessity of modern life where a Smart Phone is not. I cannot, however, believe that 339 million Android devices are going to be sold this year. Samsung takes up the vast majority of the Android market and they consider it a great quarter selling around the 30 million mark. Even if you add all the iOS devices together, who's market share dominates in the mobile world, it still only reached 156 million devices in 2011.

Android phone are popular, but the tablet sales are poor and there is no media player market for Android.

Screw 12 devices a second, Google. Its obviously not going to happen anytime soon.

/mini-rant

... at night.

... at night.

post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not sure how they track that. Google Play doesn't access the IMEI number, AFAIK.
So let's say you activate a phone, then swap the SIM to move to a different network and activate it again. Probably counts as a separate activation.

What would Google Play have to do with activation numbers? FWIW, I think the Play store probably does collect the device ID. What better way to identify compatible applications for a specific device configuration? It's not simply that a user has a certain OS version. There's even game versions optimized for specific processors, ie Tegra3. They gotta identify them somehow.

But that's not important anyway. Activating a phone is a carrier function, not something done thru the Play Store.

Edited by Gatorguy - 6/28/12 at 4:45am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

So... wait.

((60x60)x24)x12 = 1,036,800 devices a day.

1,036,800 x 365 = 339,960,000 devices a year.

Yeah, no... I hate it when they do "we sell this many a second" because its obviously a load of bollocks. Around 400 millions Personal Computers were shipped in 2011 - that I can believe; laptops, netbooks, PCs, Macs, ultrabooks, desknotes, workstations and so forth - it all adds up and a PC is a necessity of modern life where a Smart Phone is not. I cannot, however, believe that 339 million Android devices are going to be sold this year. Samsung takes up the vast majority of the Android market and they consider it a great quarter selling around the 30 million mark. Even if you add all the iOS devices together, who's market share dominates in the mobile world, it still only reached 156 million devices in 2011.

Android phone are popular, but the tablet sales are poor and there is no media player market for Android.

Screw 12 devices a second, Google. Its obviously not going to happen anytime soon.

/mini-rant

I don't think you realize what the smartphone sales numbers are.  This chart will probably help you understand  340M Android phones activated over the next 12 months is certainly believable.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/canaccordgenuity/files/2012/02/Smartphone-unit-sales-and-market-share-estimates-by-OEM-millions.png

Edited by Gatorguy - 6/28/12 at 4:10am
post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNTheBox View Post

The mix seems to be roughly 50:50 for me. But it's hard to judge anecdotally. The best way to validate one data set is to try to correlate it with another.

Quote:
Not sure what happened or why I can't seem to edit my previous post.

You should see a pencil icon near the lower left corner of your post. It should work for you, but if it doesn't, then I don't know what to do.
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Actually you'll find everything from Tabs, low end phone's like the Fit, Mini S & S2, mid range like the W, a whole constellation of "smart" phones and devices.

Too bad they don't break down their sales.

Why?

post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqro View Post

"12 smartphones or tablets"

Ummm... it's probably 11.99999999999 smartphones and .000000000001 tablets every second.

Haha, You beat me to that! LOL

post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I stand corrected...In THIS thread we find out how insecure a lot of Apple users tend to be.

Insecurity does not = asking people to actually look behind the numbers to see what's supporting them, as in, why they are what they are. 

Besides, why would Apple users feel insecure? They're Apple users. 

post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

There is a video standard that most people in the US have never heard of --VCD or Video CD. It's a low rez, lo-fi standard wherein a full-length movie is crammed into a CD. It's used only in the third world and its only advantage is that everything about it is cheap. Okay, low cost. The media, the hardware requirements, and probably the licensing too.
I've always maintained that when the dust settles, Android will turn out to be the mobile OS of choice for the third world. It's got the same characteristics as VCD; cheap hardware, cheap licensing,and passable performance considering the price.

Clearly, you've been living too long in a tundra. Cheap DVD players made in China or elsewhere only cost USD 20, and of course you can figure out how much the "non-original" DVD titles, which include recent flicks [some still being played even in the theater near you], will cost you? Yupe, less than a buck american money for the 480p DVD-5 quality. Not bad, huh..., a movie title's sold for an hour's worth of parking meter money. It's been a while since VCD was the name of the game in the "third world", perhaps just about a decade ago. You ought to get out more often, or you can "google" or "siri" it before you make your comment. 

BTW, Apple counts on the growth from the two third world countries[i.e. China + India, population total 2.7 billions] for their growth strategy. Without them, Apple will sink like a titanic. FYI, there are just two continents where Apple is king: North America and Australia, total population: 330 million. If you take Asia alone, with its 4.2 billions and counting only top 5% as the possible Apple's product purchasers, you will end up with just 210 million asians. So, Apple will target that many asians, while other devices [mainly android's] will target perhaps around 2 Billion asians. In other words, when it comes to this sort of number game, Apple won't win. Although, Apple and its share holders are always the big winners. The former wins in the profit category by gladly sucking the money away from the very people who "love" Apple's crazily overpriced products- thank's heaven for the subsidy made by the big telcos. The latter wins when Apple's profit got multiplied since the share price will also move upward in the process. Do you own Apple stocks? You should. Since Apple is burning a hole in your left pocket, you should counter it by keeping at least one Apple stock inside your right pocket. And that is the true "zero sum game".

post #56 of 66

Nice!

post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

BTW, Apple counts on the growth from the two third world countries[i.e. China + India, population total 2.7 billions] for their growth strategy.

China and India aren't… well, I suppose India is… China's not a third world country.
Quote:
Without them, Apple will sink like a titanic.

HA! No.
Quote:
FYI, there are just two continents where Apple is king: North America and Australia, total population: 330 million.

528,720,588 + 31,260,000 = 559,980,588.
Quote:
If you take Asia alone, with its 4.2 billions…

Quote:
… and counting only top 5% as the possible Apple's product purchasers

Yeah, and if you count lactose intolerant people as the only possible people to buy milk, you get a similar result.
Quote:
…gladly sucking the money away from the very people who "love" Apple's crazily overpriced products…

You don't know the definition of the word "overpriced", nor do you seem to understand how a free market economy works, so I'll ask that you not troll again until you do, because it's just sad how little you know.
Quote:
…thank's heaven for the subsidy made by the big telcos.

Oh, the ones that all Android phones are also given, you mean? lol.gif You people crack me up.
Quote:
And that is the true "zero sum game".

The true zero sum game is when idiot drive-by trolls like you post on forums for products you hate made by companies you hate, both of which because you're too stupid to look at truth or fact.

Again, you're all hilarious, but it's starting to get a little old. Like how you can't eat nothing but ham salad for three months in a row.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

North America is USA, Canada and Mexico.

Response 1: Continue pretending to believe that if you wish. The legal definition of North America actually encompasses the entirety of North America.
Quote:
And, no, you can't add population in Central America because it is called CENTRAL and not NORTH.

Response 2: Central America is not a continent.
Quote:
Hm..., where did you get that figures? From SIRI [Steve Is Really Inside] I betcha.

Response 3: Wikipedia. Your derogatory comments only serve to hasten your demise.
Quote:
That's probably asia population in 2008.

Response 4: 400,000,000 people cannot be born in four years. That's nonsense.
Quote:
See. if you need to correct figures please be intelligent enough to at least check your data and from what year. But, then again, I am speaking to an Isheep. I shouldn't expect too much.

Response 5: See response 3. This is the only reason I went to a numbered system, which I am ending now.
Quote:
Under which definition? Their minimum monthly wage in Shanghai [the municipality with the highest wage level] is about 200 bucks a month, or about USD 2400 per year. 

All right, if you want to use wages as a definition, so be it.
Quote:
I guess you at least know one of the reasons why Apple racks up that much profit right? Apple uses third world's labor but charges other-wordly prices for their products.

Your implication–that others do not–is laughable.
Quote:
It helps to explain the "death grip" issue…

Yes, the one that didn't exist; I understand.
Quote:
Since the subsidy level for Iphone is the same as android and other devices, that is why the telcos are now looking for other more viable alternatives from other suppliers.

Yes, the telecoms, of whose smartphone sales 70% are iPhones, are certainly looking to other sources of revenue (ones that don't also bring in data fees, apparently), because the iPhone is…

Look, I don't even need to finish that sentence. lol.gif
Quote:
You saw how telcos profit got a big hit due to  the subsidy given to iPhone.

No, I never saw that. You'll have to provide some sort of evidence for it because, as I have said, high-end Android phones cost the same as–or more than–the iPhone, and consequently they receive the same–or a greater–subsidy to keep the prices level.
Quote:
You love having your beloved products;s share price going up due to profit, yet In other words, the way this level of subsidy barely works is by somewhat cross-subsidizing. So, other less prominent phone users, like Samsung's, HTC's or Nokia's, help subsidizing Iphone's users when they pay the same amount per month for the same data+voice plan. You don't realize it, and of course you don't care.

Only because you don't seem to know what you're on about.

post #59 of 66

Have you heard of universal [UAA] MAC address? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Too bad they don't break down their sales.

What mobile company does?
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think you realize what the smartphone sales numbers are.  This chart will probably help you understand  340M Android phones activated over the next 12 months is certainly believable.
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/canaccordgenuity/files/2012/02/Smartphone-unit-sales-and-market-share-estimates-by-OEM-millions.png

According to that chart from Forbes, there will be just under 1 billion smartphones sold next year. That's almost one smartphone for every person ON THE PLANET. That's just insane!
post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlhed View Post

According to that chart from Forbes, there will be just under 1 billion smartphones sold next year. That's almost one smartphone for every person ON THE PLANET. That's just insane!

The planet has 7 billion people, so I'm not seeing how you arrive at that statement.
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

And how many Android devices are returned, broken, thrown out window, etc...

the same can be said for everything, including iOS devices. Companies never talk about returns because they will never speak negatively about themselves. Just the nature of the game. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Is this GoogleInsider? I'm confused.

If it can be linked in anyway totally remote way to Apple and will get hits, they will post about it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

250 million

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/27/after_5_years_apples_iphone_has_generated_150b_in_revenue.html

Given that Apple has apparently made $150 Billion in revenue I wonder how long before Google starts charging for Android.

That's apparently just on the iPhone. When you add the iPad, to offset that some to those Android devices are tablets, the numbers go up for both units and profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aybara View Post

What about a phone that is wiped and completely reinstalled?

If you look at the original blog it says NEW devices. So presumably such wipes are't counted a second, third etc time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNTheBox View Post

Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are these devices?!!  All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions.

Android users are embarrassed to show themselves in public where you are?????

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The planet has 7 billion people, so I'm not seeing how you arrive at that statement.

Probably the same way Google arrives at its activation numbers.

Exactly five years from right… NOW, assuming their numbers remain constant, there will be 1,892,160,000 additional Android phones on the market somewhere.

That's just not possible. There aren't that many people who will be buying these phones. Existing users would have to get a new phone just about every single year for this to be in any way sustainable. So the devices would have to all be flawed in some way that renders them useless after a few months, making dropping another $200 to update desirable in the first place. Like if new software didn't work on old… phones…

… Oh, I… guess the numbers do work out after all. *shrug* That's one way to run a business: disposable products. Not sure I think treating my phone the same way I'd treat paper towels is the right way to go, but…

post #65 of 66
So how many actual ACTIVE accounts are there.

I already know that many of these devices aren't STILL active since many Android buyers are always turning around and buying the latest model and then shutting off the former unit.

Apple, as of the end of last quarter had about 400 Million iPads and iPhones sold (not including the number of iPod Touches sold).
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

And how many Android devices are returned, broken, thrown out window, etc...

Oh, you want to know how many DEACTIVATIONS?  They don't want you to know that amount.  Probably at least 30%.

What's even funnier, is that a lot of these phones/devices are going to a lessor actual number of people since the kids that buy Android devices collect them like baseball cards.

And out of all of the hardware mfg, how many have gone out of the Android device market and rendered the devices they've made into a brick?

Cisco stopped production on their Cius product line.  According to a recent Forbes articles, Cisco not only stopped making the Cius Android tablet, but they are buying iPads for their own employees and have well over 10,000 iPads.  I wonder what Cisco knows about the Android OS that WE DON'T know and WHY did they not only decide to stop production of the Cius products, but to go out and PAY MONEY for iPads?

Even Korean Telecom, has over 35,000 iPads, and it doesn't seem like they buy Samsung Tablets.  I wonder why.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google says 12 Android devices activated every second, 400M to date