or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google Nexus 7 seen as threat to Microsoft Surface, not Apple's iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Nexus 7 seen as threat to Microsoft Surface, not Apple's iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

 

Great point....Apple sells a product.... For Google and Facebook the product they sell is "you." And they do this by "harvesting" your personal information.

 

I deliberately use the word "harvesting" because it sounds so "evil!"

 

Ha!  Google should name their tablet the "Morlock"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: Upon release, the MS Surface RT WILL compete in the exact same market as Apple's iPad.
FACT: Apple (currently) has absolutely nothing remotely in the same category as either the MS Surface Pro nor the Google Nexus 7.

Fact: Osborne Computer died a miserable death after announcing it's new computer products with multiple month lead time.

 

Fact: Apple releases new iPads typically in the Jan-March timeframe... Same release cycle as the Surface Pro.  Apple has always skated to where the Puck is going to be.  

 

Fact:  

 

Fact: The category defined by the Pro (part laptop (os), part tablet (HW)), has existed for 15 years.  It's a crossover category that never succeeded...  I've been using/seeing/complaining about Windows Tablets since 1995  (Electronic Medical Records).

 

Fact:  As advertised, Surface Pro is about marrying an SW Franchise (Win8+Office) to under $1000 hardware that works well as both a Laptop and mobile tablet... And the only way to do that and make a profit is to eliminate the OEM from the financial equation.

 

Fact: The only Microsoft HW successes occur when the division making the hardware makes the software (Xbox).   And that took 5 years of pouring money at the problem for that division to become profitable. 

 

Fact: I hold stock in Apple.  I own mutual funds that own Microsoft.   I tend to look at the business reasons of a product launch.

 

Time will tell if Microsoft succeeds... but those are the facts in front of this court of reason.   I'm not buying based on these.

post #83 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And worse in many others.

Frankly the only ways Windows RT is marginally 'better' are in ways that I no longer care about... i.e. munging spreadsheets, building databases from scratch and coding.

The ways that the iPad is better are ways that I really use. Location, portability, touch, photo, orientation, instant access, convenience, etc.

 

I bow to no one in my identification as a 'power user', and frankly have left desktops and laptops behind for 99% of my use.

And I create LOTS of content.

 

Exactly... No consumer buys a computer to 'run Excel' or build word macros... they want a computer to 'do budgets,' or 'create documents'   And between a powerful iPad, some practically free applications, and the cloud, that niche is filled.

 

Gamers, 'Computer Professionals', people who 'upgrade computers' (low level modders), are forgetting that 'computers' have moved from 'build your own' (hot rods), 'consumable' ("100K maintenance free" -). 

 

Hence it's key, anyone who says 'more powerful'  'more upgradable' and doesn't focus on 'a more pleasing experience','more intuitive','more complementary to my life,'   isn't the market voice of the Billions of buyers who want/need a bookreader/notetaking/vidplaying phone/pad.

post #84 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

 

I disagree.  I think the ARM version (Microsoft Surface for Windows RT) is the iPad competitor.    The Intel version (Microsoft Surface for Windows 8) is being pushed as a competitor to UltraBooks - which are supposed to be priced somewhere between the iPad and Air.    Personally, I see the Intel version as strictly oriented towards businesses.   Its sole claim to fame is its ability to be managed with the same tools already in place for managing desktops (System Center, etc.).   It's quite a bit larger, heavier and produces more heat.   I can't imagine anybody buying the Intel version for personal use.   Are you really going to buy an Intel version of a tablet, just so that you can still run all your legacy Windows apps?   I can't imagine so.  If you're buying a tablet, you're really buying into Metro.  Otherwise, just get a laptop.

 

I see your point. I really don't see the Intel version doing well at all against ultrabooks, though. It's far too costly for something that doesn't offer much more portability while compromising on keyboard input.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #85 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

right. Apple never calls the Touch a tablet because it wanted to capitalize on - and extend - the iPod's success.

 

but you didn't answer my crucial question: which will your kid want for Xmas? that's where the markets collide.

 

and Apple can't permanently give away every kind of market there is for any kind of tablet-like device between 3.5" and 10".

 

I don't think Apple is "giving away" anything. Apple will not compete in a market where it cannot make money. If the iPad is doing well then there is no need to compete in a smaller form factor.

 

If, on the other hand, Apple decides that it can compete in that market and still receive the same, or close to the same, margins as its other products, then Apple will compete in that space. (I can almost guarantee you, though, that the product would not be called an iPod)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #86 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post


...which is precisely why they don't really want to make a lot of them, or invest particularly heavily in them. If MS uses them to kick-start the market and OEMs, they sell more licenses. If Google kick-starts the Android Tablet market, they aren't completely stuck with competitors that squeeze out their margins-- Amazon with ~everything, and Apple potentially with iAd.
I never thought I would say this... but Microsoft's strategy makes more sense than Google's!

 

I think that you are assuming that MS' strategy is to release the Surface as a reference design(s).  I do not agree with this assumption.  I think that MS has made a fatal mistake and alienated its OEM Partners.  I do not believe that MS can price either Surface tablet low enough to be competitive -- or high enough to provide an umbrella for its OEM Partners.

 

Either way, MS has screwed both its partners and itself!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


I agree conceptually but Google's approach is actually "Ads Everywhere."

How exactly do you see any more ads in Android than in iOS?

post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Who gives a rat's ass about his statement. I was just pointing out another fact... or do you know otherwise.

 

A dig at DaHarder? Do you see his name in my statement? Defending DaHarder... how cute.

 

Cute?   

post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Who gives a rat's ass about his statement. I was just pointing out another fact... or do you know otherwise.

 

A dig at DaHarder? Do you see his name in my statement? Defending DaHarder... how cute.

 

You quoted his statement.   Apparently you care about it.   The only reason to do so is if you have something to either support or contradict his statement.   You don't quote somebody and then say later that your statement had nothing to do with his statement.   Your own statement was snark.   You can't say otherwise.

post #90 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

 

You quoted his statement.   Apparently you care about it.   The only reason to do so is if you have something to either support or contradict his statement.   You don't quote somebody and then say later that your statement had nothing to do with his statement.   Your own statement was snark.   You can't say otherwise.

 

What are you, the f*cking forum police.

 

There, I changed my original statement. Satisfied!

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #91 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Do people realize that the Nexus 7 could be a real threat to the iPod touch?

 

Of course.  Then again there are a few around here the vehemently argue that they aren't in the same class which is pretty narrow minded.

 

If I want to get my kid an electronic pacifier for around $200 the options are Kindle Fire, iPod Touch, 3DS, PSP and now the new Nexus 7.

post #92 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

I don't think Apple is "giving away" anything. Apple will not compete in a market where it cannot make money. If the iPad is doing well then there is no need to compete in a smaller form factor.

 

If, on the other hand, Apple decides that it can compete in that market and still receive the same, or close to the same, margins as its other products, then Apple will compete in that space. (I can almost guarantee you, though, that the product would not be called an iPod)

 

If kids are getting the Nexus 7 for Christmas and buying into the Android ecosystem that's not a win for Apple.

 

A 5-7" tablet is better off running the iPhone UI layout than the iPad one.  It's better off being called an iPod than an iPad given actual ipad apps will run poorly on the smaller size.

post #93 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

Of course.  Then again there are a few around here the vehemently argue that they aren't in the same class which is pretty narrow minded.

 

If I want to get my kid an electronic pacifier for around $200 the options are Kindle Fire, iPod Touch, 3DS, PSP and now the new Nexus 7.

 

Don't forget the Blackberry Playbook.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #94 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

If kids are getting the Nexus 7 for Christmas and buying into the Android ecosystem that's not a win for Apple.

 

A 5-7" tablet is better off running the iPhone UI layout than the iPad one.  It's better off being called an iPod than an iPad given actual ipad apps will run poorly on the smaller size.

 

It's not a loss for Apple either if iPad sales still rise.

 

Millions of people are apparently buying into the Android ecosystem ever year but so far it hasn't hurt Apple's sales.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #95 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

It's not a loss for Apple either if iPad sales still rise.

 

Millions of people are apparently buying into the Android ecosystem ever year but so far it hasn't hurt Apple's sales.

Exactly, there are plenty of people around for both companies.

post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

I don't think Apple is "giving away" anything. Apple will not compete in a market where it cannot make money. If the iPad is doing well then there is no need to compete in a smaller form factor.

 

If, on the other hand, Apple decides that it can compete in that market and still receive the same, or close to the same, margins as its other products, then Apple will compete in that space. (I can almost guarantee you, though, that the product would not be called an iPod)

well we don't agree. first i assume the Touch makes a profit for Apple, and a scaled up version would cost very little more to manufacture. i was guessing $50. second, it could sell in even larger numbers too - 5"-5.5" might prove to be a market "sweet spot" (7" really hasn't), if the apparent success of some big screen Android phones means anything. third, it could finally replace the iPod Classic, the oldest product in Apple's entire inventory, because SSD prices keep falling and it would have room enough for a big one. finally, abdicating a significant market segment is always a risk, because it opens the door to others to get a foothold, build momentum, and then come after yours.

 

so ... we'll see what Apple actually does this Fall. one thing we do know is they have hinted a lot about new products this year that we haven't seen yet.

post #97 of 127

Let's see.  It can't threaten the Kindle Fire b/c it's already burned itself out.  4.7M between November and December and then dropped all the way to 700k units in 1Q2012.  Sad.  The Surface will NOT be in the same price range.  Just not happening.  Pricing and battery life are the 2 things MS needs to spill most about the Surface, but I'm anticipating when I ehar them I will be falling from my chair in laughter.  The iPod Touch will be getting a refresh this fall (or some people think replaced by a 7" iPad) and I'm confident the new chips in it will give the Nexus a run for the money.  Didn't the new iPad stomp all over Tegra 3 in most tests?

post #98 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

well we don't agree. first i assume the Touch makes a profit for Apple, and a scaled up version would cost very little more to manufacture. i was guessing $50. second, it could sell in even larger numbers too - 5"-5.5" might prove to be a market "sweet spot" (7" really hasn't), if the apparent success of some big screen Android phones means anything. third, it could finally replace the iPod Classic, the oldest product in Apple's entire inventory, because SSD prices keep falling and it would have room enough for a big one. finally, abdicating a significant market segment is always a risk, because it opens the door to others to get a foothold, build momentum, and then come after yours.

 

so ... we'll see what Apple actually does this Fall. one thing we do know is they have hinted a lot about new products this year that we haven't seen yet.

 

Apple is not abdicating anything. As mentioned, Apple will not go after a market unless they think there is money to be made. Apple will not join in the game called "Race To The Bottom".

 

I think Steve J. saw that the best way to grow the brand is to develop new products that utilize the ecosystem. Maybe Apple will repurpose the iPod brand but, imo, Apple will introduce a new product that hopefully will enjoy the same success it has seen with the iPhone and iPad. (I'm talking about the iTV (for lack of a better name).


Edited by island hermit - 6/28/12 at 2:20pm
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #99 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post


No, that's his 'my Surface crashed during the demo and I looked like a clown trying to hide it' look.


I actually thought he did an amazing job of plowing forward despite the device failure.  As a presenter, I think Steven Sinofsky was really impressive, and if he was as good at managing development as he is at keeping calm and carrying on, the tablet probably wouldn't have frozen in the first place.

post #100 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

How exactly do you see any more ads in Android than in iOS?

 

Siri surfing bypasses Google wherever possible!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #101 of 127

I'm still thinking about getting the 16gb version of the Nexus 7.

 

Nothing beats the portability of a 7" tablet. It's the perfect e-reader size.

 

It has pogo pins so we'll probably see some cool docking stations with built in audio out + charging.

 

And Jelly Bean is amazing. Running it on my phone right now and couldn't be more happy.

 

When the development community gets a hold of it, it will be even better.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #102 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Apple is not abdicating anything. As mentioned, Apple will not go after a market unless they think there is money to be made. Apple will not join in the game call "Race To The Bottom".

 

I think Steve J. saw that the best way to grow the brand is to develop new products that utilize the ecosystem. Maybe Apple will repurpose the iPod brand but, imo, Apple will introduce a new product that hopefully will enjoy the same success it has seen with the iPhone and iPad. (I'm talking about the iTV (for lack of a better name).

 

I want:

 

1) a bigger iPad with more RAM and SSD

 

2) a UI addition that contains a loupe and offset to approximate a mouse UI with  touch

 

3) OS level interface between Macs and iPads so that an iPad can be able to control and mirror the Mac desktop -- ala screen sharing and Back To My Mac

 

4) support for 2) and 3) on all iPads capable of doing this (iPad 2 and later)

 

 

Just like AirPlay is able to exploit AppleTV, this new capability would allow the iPad to exploit the Mac.

 

I use the iPad in bed, on the couch, on the throne... Wherever.  I would like to be able to use my Macs without needing to get up, go [downstairs] and sit down in front of the Mac.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificialintel View Post


I actually thought he did an amazing job of plowing forward despite the device failure.  As a presenter, I think Steven Sinofsky was really impressive, and if he was as good at managing development as he is at keeping calm and carrying on, the tablet probably wouldn't have frozen in the first place.

 

Truth be told, there was more than one failure. They were not able to run Netflix, or any apps.  They kept touching things expecting something to happen… And nothing happened.

 

it was all "tell" and no "show".

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #104 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


Free app you means? Because Google Play is just a second rate app store and a third rate media store at best. if people want tablet for media, Kindle Fire is still better than this Nexus.

Better than what's being offered in the Amazon App store.  Don't be a douche.

post #105 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


Kindle Fire is still better than this Nexus.

lol what an ignorant comment.

 

The Nexus beats it in every department.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #106 of 127

Surface?

 

What are these analysts smoking?  The Nexus 7 is a threat to the Kindle Fire.  That's it.  That's all.

post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

The rumored 7" iPad would doom them both.

 

I disagree.  If Apple made one, aside from having Steve Jobs spinning like a top in his grave, and aside from having to include the proverbial sandpaper in the box, it would never carry a price tag close to this.  Apple just can't compete in the shallow end of the pool.  And in this end of the pool, it's the continental shelf when going from $199 to $299.

post #108 of 127

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

 

The benchmarks are pretty decent.  I think it's good value when you consider the price.

 

I ordered one for a simple reason: I find the iPad too cumbersome to read with in bed.

 

It will put off my iPad purchase for a bit....till the next iPad likely.  One reason I held off this year was my disappointment in the front-facing VGA camera.  Retina display.....and then gimped it with a VGA cam for video-conferencing.  I also expect we'll see some substantial hardware changes next year or a slightly different look.

post #109 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


Free app you means? Because Google Play is just a second rate app store and a third rate media store at best. if people want tablet for media, Kindle Fire is still better than this Nexus.

 

You can't be serious.

 

The Kindle Fire isn't even close:

 

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4524&idPhone2=4850

 

It's thinner, lighter, faster.  Has over 20% higher pixel density (almost on par with the rMBP).  Has a GPS, gyro, compass, Front Facing Camera, Bluetooth and NFC (Kindle Fire has none of these).  Oh and let's not forget build quality and Gorilla glass.  Same price.  There is one thing Kindle Fire does have: an FM radio.  

 

It gets even better on content.  Get the Kindle Fire and you're locked into Amazon.  Get the Nexus 7 and you don't have to buy a thing from Google (though you might want to use that $25 Google Play credit they give you for something).  You can install the Amazon App Store and still get your content from Amazon....or anywhere else.  On the other hand, you won't be getting GMail, Google Maps, Google Earth, Sky Maps, or a Google Search app from the Amazon App Store.  Heck, I buy my music from iTunes and I stream on my Galaxy Nexus through Google Music.  And no effort to upload at all.  Downloaded the Google Music utility for Mac.  Set the iTunes folder as my default music folder.  Keeps that and my Google Music locker in sync...for free.

 

Oh...and the best part about the Nexus 7?  Android Jelly Bean.  Straight from Google.  No OEM skin or bloatware.  

 

With all that in mind, why would anybody buy the Kindle Fire, unless they just don't know about the Nexus 7?


Edited by Jetz - 6/28/12 at 8:50pm
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Here's the thing. Obviously at least the Intel version of the Microsoft Surface is aimed at the iPad market, with creation-type software and peripherals. However, if it's priced at >$899 then it'll likely lose out.

 

The RT version, however, will only run Metro apps (+Office) and so will likely turn out to be used a lot more for consumption (at least initially). Even if it's priced at $399 (and I think $499-599 is much more likely), I don't see it as competing well vs. the Fire and Nexus 7 due to their rock-bottom pricing.

 

I honestly don't see much of a win anywhere here for Microsoft since $999 for the "good" surface is the price of a MacBook Air or other Ultrabooks which seem much better suited for most business professional's needs.

 

I don't see the Google Nexus 7 competing at all with the Surface, really.


I'd say Intel Surface will be aimed at people wanting to merge Ultrabook/Air and tablet into one device, while RT Surface will try to compete with iPad/Android tablets (with a bit more productivity, courtesy of MS Office (if that Office turns out to be close enough to desktop Office, feature wise).

post #111 of 127

Sadly, right now the only "threat" Google and Microsoft pose is that to common sense. Just tragic. I'll repeat it, go back and watch the Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates AllThingsD full interview. Do you realise that Bill is just spouting absolute nonsense? Really, it was total rubbish.

 

There's one part where Bill randomly says, "The answer is 3D". I was like, ???

 

And that hasn't changed for 5 years. Explains everything about Microsoft. Really sad.

post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


I'd say Intel Surface will be aimed at people wanting to merge Ultrabook/Air and tablet into one device, while RT Surface will try to compete with iPad/Android tablets (with a bit more productivity, courtesy of MS Office (if that Office turns out to be close enough to desktop Office, feature wise).

 

 

As I posted before, already done in the Apple universe ! (see http://www.modbook.com/)

 

Interesting device ... but with limited market potential (and absolutely no interest from this forum ...)

post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post


As I posted before, already done in the Apple universe ! (see http://www.modbook.com/)

Interesting device ... but with limited market potential (and absolutely no interest from this forum ...)

I actually considered buying one before the iPad came out. The intended use would have been showing PowerPoint shows, pdfs, etc at trade shows. The iPad now does that just as well, in a smaller, cheaper package (with Keynote instead of PowerPoint, of course).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


I'd say Intel Surface will be aimed at people wanting to merge Ultrabook/Air and tablet into one device, while RT Surface will try to compete with iPad/Android tablets (with a bit more productivity, courtesy of MS Office (if that Office turns out to be close enough to desktop Office, feature wise).

Exactly. They're different products with different target audiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I want:

1) a bigger iPad with more RAM and SSD

2) a UI addition that contains a loupe and offset to approximate a mouse UI with  touch

3) OS level interface between Macs and iPads so that an iPad can be able to control and mirror the Mac desktop -- ala screen sharing and Back To My Mac

4) support for 2) and 3) on all iPads capable of doing this (iPad 2 and later)


Just like AirPlay is able to exploit AppleTV, this new capability would allow the iPad to exploit the Mac.

I use the iPad in bed, on the couch, on the throne... Wherever.  I would like to be able to use my Macs without needing to get up, go [downstairs] and sit down in front of the Mac.

Try Logmein.com. It's free for non-commercial use. Not OS level, yet, but still very effective. The problem is that it's a bit slow in the old version. I don't know if the newer version is much better since I haven't been traveling much for a while.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I'm still thinking about getting the 16gb version of the Nexus 7.

 

Nothing beats the portability of a 7" tablet. It's the perfect e-reader size.

 

It has pogo pins so we'll probably see some cool docking stations with built in audio out + charging.

 

And Jelly Bean is amazing. Running it on my phone right now and couldn't be more happy.

 

When the development community gets a hold of it, it will be even better.

 

i wouldn't get the 8gig if you are a gamer or like lots of apps. it has pogo pins? yay! i have the pogo dock for the galaxy nexus and would love the same for the 7
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Exactly... No consumer buys a computer to 'run Excel' or build word macros... they want a computer to 'do budgets,' or 'create documents'   And between a powerful iPad, some practically free applications, and the cloud, that niche is filled.

Gamers, 'Computer Professionals', people who 'upgrade computers' (low level modders), are forgetting that 'computers' have moved from 'build your own' (hot rods), 'consumable' ("100K maintenance free" -). 

Hence it's key, anyone who says 'more powerful'  'more upgradable' and doesn't focus on 'a more pleasing experience','more intuitive','more complementary to my life,'   isn't the market voice of the Billions of buyers who want/need a bookreader/notetaking/vidplaying phone/pad.

Actually, building and upgrading your computer is pretty fun. I put an SSD and 8GB of RAM into my 2010 MBP 13" and it was a new lease of life. Then of course the Retina MBP came out and let's just say thank goodness my parents don't micromanage my finances. (I'm working hard though, not just the prodigal son! (except when it comes to Apple))

With my PC rig, it was exhilarating getting a new graphic card, or putting a sweet Zalman copper fan on the CPU, getting "overclocked" RAM, etc. Then you boot up the computer, and it's... Windows. Then, to rub salt into the wound, you run your latest game and it's laggy, needs driver updates, etc. Like NFS: Shift. Latest rig, ATI card, unexplained lagginess for months with no recourse. In the end in fact, even though so many PC games never needed that level of power, if you had a perfectly-decent AMD dual core, the experience was usually worse compared to an Intel Quad.

I like fiddling with PC hardware and playing games. I do not like Windows nor spending more time on troubleshooting forums than on games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

How exactly do you see any more ads in Android than in iOS?

Paid apps in iOS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Siri surfing bypasses Google wherever possible!

Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I want:

1) a bigger iPad with more RAM and SSD
YES.

2) a UI addition that contains a loupe and offset to approximate a mouse UI with  touch
GOOD IDEA.

3) OS level interface between Macs and iPads so that an iPad can be able to control and mirror the Mac desktop -- ala screen sharing and Back To My Mac
YOU CAN DO THIS (VNC)... but not natively as such.

4) support for 2) and 3) on all iPads capable of doing this (iPad 2 and later)

Just like AirPlay is able to exploit AppleTV, this new capability would allow the iPad to exploit the Mac.

I use the iPad in bed, on the couch, on the throne... Wherever.  I would like to be able to use my Macs without needing to get up, go [downstairs] and sit down in front of the Mac.

YES. Also though, I would like to run iPad apps on my Mac. Think about it. I want fullscreen Twitter app, fullscreen other apps on my Mac. Because native iPad apps are of really such amazing, high-resolution quality, why can't I just have it on my Mac? I don't want to trawl through the garbage that is, for example, the Facebook website just to pose a picture of myself with my shirt off in the mirror. Yeah, there's Tweetdeck, but iPad apps are far more prolific than native Mac apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Surface?
What are these analysts smoking?

Our tax dollars.
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

what everyone is missing so far is how the Nexus 7 competes, not with the iPad, but with the iPod Touch (Apple's true "mini-tablet"). the $200 price for the 8G model of each is exactly the same. and crucially, both are fully integrated into their respective ecosystems. 

 

what the Nexus 7 offers of course is a bigger screen, while the much smaller iPod Touch has a retina display. one fits in your pocket, the other doesn't. but otherwise, the most notably difference is the iPod touch has a decent camera for casual photo/video use, while the Nexus 7 has no such camera, just a basic video chat camera, which both have.

 

which would your kid want for Xmas? i think the camera would be the deciding factor.

 

IMO, Apple's smart move would be to add a new 5.5" model of the iPod touch this Fall for $250. with the same resolution on a bigger screen, it would no longer be retina quality, but iPhone apps would still look good and work well, even as a camera. and it would still be pocket size. just right size for games too. kids would love it. (it would also kill the Sony Vita and Nintendo 3DS, btw).

 

OTOH, i think it would be a bad mistake for Apple to come out with a smaller 8" "me too" smaller iPad, as rumored often. iPad apps would not look good nor work well on it.

The iPod touch is not a tablet. It uses the iPhone apps, not the iPad apps. The os is similar, but the apps are quite different between the two. If an 8" iPad mini came out, it would use the iPad apps and this would be a big difference between the touch.

post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: Upon release, the MS Surface RT WILL compete in the exact same market as Apple's iPad.
FACT: Apple (currently) has absolutely nothing remotely in the same category as either the MS Surface Pro nor the Google Nexus 7.

 

You can't call the first statement a fact because you have no idea what the pricing will be. The Surface RT could be priced at $799 and that would not really be the "exact" same market. Also, since the Surface does not have LTE available, once again it isn't the exact same market. Unless they also buy an iPad and use it's hot spot feature to give the Surface WiFi access.

 

If anything the Surface RT would be in a similar market as the iPad.

post #118 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

What are you, the f*cking forum police.

 

There, I changed my original statement. Satisfied!

 

Grow up boy.

post #119 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

lol what an ignorant comment.

 

The Nexus beats it in every department.

 

Not sure I agree that a statement declaring the Fire to be better than the Nexus is worth a laughing-out-loud response.  I don't automatically assume it's "ignorant".    Both of these tablets are about consumption of services (books, music, movies, tv shows, etc.).   If one considers Amazon's store to be better than Google's, then you might go ahead and consider the Fire to be the better tablet.

post #120 of 127
What Android users should love most about the Nexus 7 is the USB file storage, Adobe Flash, and user-removable battery¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google Nexus 7 seen as threat to Microsoft Surface, not Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google Nexus 7 seen as threat to Microsoft Surface, not Apple's iPad