or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Google admits Chrome bug responsible for crashing MacBook Airs

Google admits Chrome bug responsible for crashing MacBook Airs

post #1 of 102
Google has accepted responsibility for a kernel panic issue on Apple's new MacBook Airs that was apparently being caused by a graphics resource leak in its Chrome browser.

Shortly after Apple released updated MacBook Airs earlier this month, a number of users began reporting that the machines were frequently crashing. Gizmodo noted this week that it was experiencing the issue with its own MacBook Airs and subsequently deduced that the issue was caused by the Chrome browser.

According to one poster on Apple's Support Communities, a Genius technician said that the problem was "the specific combination of Intel HD 4000 chip + flash + Chrome." Apple was reportedly aware of the issue and planning to release a patch soon.

Google issued a statement on Thursday acknowledging that it had found a "leak of graphics resources in the Chrome browser" that has been causing a kernel panic on the new MacBook Airs. The company is working to "find and fix" the cause of the leak, but in the meantime it has issued an auto-update release that will temporarily disable GPU acceleration features in Chrome.

The announcement comes on the same day that Google launched its Chrome browser on iOS. However, the iPhone version of Chrome is mostly a UI wrapper around Apple's own Webkit platform, as Apple does not allow third-party browsers available in the App Store to have their own rendering or JavaScript engines.

MacBook Air

Google's entire statement as provided to Gizmodo:

"We have identified a leak of graphics resources in the Chrome browser related to the drawing of plugins on Mac OS X. Work is proceeding to find and fix the root cause of the leak.

The resource leak is causing a kernel panic on Mac hardware containing the Intel HD 4000 graphics chip (e.g. the new Macbook Airs). Radar bug number 11762608 has been filed with Apple regarding the kernel panics, since it should not be possible for an application to trigger such behavior.

While the root cause of the leak is being fixed, we are temporarily disabling some of Chrome's GPU acceleration features on the affected hardware via an auto-updated release that went out this afternoon (Thursday June 28). We anticipate further fixes in the coming days which will re-enable many or all of these features on this hardware."

post #2 of 102
I'll bet the fix is also worthy of a new version number.
post #3 of 102
Listen all y'all, it's sabotage!!
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #4 of 102

The kernel panic is caused by a MBA feeling violated when all its private data was being molested.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #5 of 102

Stop using Chrome. Problem solved.

post #6 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkingman View Post

Stop using Chrome. Problem solved.

Lot of people like obviously, it's currently the most used browser.

post #7 of 102
All joking and google bashing aside, it's shocking how this can happen to os x in 2012, a gfx driver crash hasn't brought down windows since vista in what 2007? The graphics stack should simply restart without bringing down the whole os. There 's a problem here that needs to be fixed in the graphics driver, but the underlying problem which I can assume wont be fixed in ml, of the os allowing this to happen is what's really troubling here.
post #8 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

All joking and google bashing aside, it's shocking how this can happen to os x in 2012, a gfx driver crash hasn't brought down windows since vista in what 2007? The graphics stack should simply restart without bringing down the whole os. There 's a problem here that needs to be fixed in the graphics driver, but the underlying problem which I can assume wont be fixed in ml, of the os allowing this to happen is what's really troubling here.

"the specific combination of Intel HD 4000 chip + flash + Chrome."

Crash, Infection, Java, Flash, Plugin.

Always the same word combinations...

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #9 of 102
Quote:

All joking and google bashing aside, it's shocking how this can happen to os x in 2012, a gfx driver crash hasn't brought down windows since vista in what 2007? The graphics stack should simply restart without bringing down the whole os. There 's a problem here that needs to be fixed in the graphics driver, but the underlying problem which I can assume won't be fixed in ml, of the os allowing this to happen is what's really troubling here.

Living on borrowed time…
post #10 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Living on borrowed time…

Yeah dude whatever.
post #11 of 102

So  even in an article where Google admits responsibility, myapplehate manages to somehow bash Apple for the problem? :)

post #12 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"the specific combination of Intel HD 4000 chip + flash + Chrome."

Crash, Infection, Java, Flash, Plugin.

Always the same word combinations...

Sure, the problem is though that the os shouldn't kerrnel panic because of that and crash, that's the whole pint of making a robust os in 2012. It should safeguard itself even from the most malicious code. What's also conveniently ommited here is that it's not the intel chip, it's the drivers for the intel chip, there's no problem on the hardware level with the intel chip. This case is revealing a much deeper vulnerability of os x.
post #13 of 102
Quote:

Yeah dude whatever.

The bell tolls. What will happen when its fine chime has fallen to silence?
post #14 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/150994/google-admits-chrome-bug-responsible-for-crashing-macbook-airs#post_2136753"]So  even in an article where Google admits responsibility, myapplehate manages to somehow bash Apple for the problem? 1smile.gif
Quote:
Radar bug number 11762608 has been filed with Apple regarding the kernel panics, since it should not be possible for an application to trigger such behavior.
post #15 of 102
Quote:

The bell tolls. What will happen when its fine chime has fallen to silence?

I dig your hermetic poetry man.
post #16 of 102

Slow news day?

post #17 of 102
Quote:

The bell tolls.

At first I thought you wrote "The bellend trolls."

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #18 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So  even in an article where Google admits responsibility, myapplehate manages to somehow bash Apple for the problem? :)

I tend to agree.   I tend to see a user-mode program making call down the OS X API stack causing a kernel panic as something... 'odd.'

Even Apple agrees:  "Radar bug number 11762608 has been filed with Apple regarding the kernel panics, since it should not be possible for an application to trigger such behavior."

This is an Apple bug that was exercised Chrome.... not maybe they sent crap down through the call... but I would hope that OS X would have done some level of checking before pushing the crap to the graphics chip, and having it spit up a kernel vomit.   Heck, I'm surprised they didn't grey list the flash code in some profiler prior to the critical call and quarantine it;-).

post #19 of 102
Finally a sensible technical post, this thread had started to read like a cross between Hemingway and Orwell.
post #20 of 102
Quote:

Finally a sensible technical post, this thread had started to read like a cross between Hemingway and Orwell.

Dude, the reason you come to AppleInsider:

It's not your fault.

its-not-your-fault.jpg

post #21 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

By this logic we should all use windows!? :)

post #22 of 102
I found the solution for this problem. Go into the Applications folder and drag the Chrome icon into the trash and select empty trash. Fixed.
post #23 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

I found the solution for this problem. Go into the Applications folder and drag the Chrome icon into the trash and select empty trash. Fixed.

And the Library/Application Support/Google and ~/Library/Application Support/Google folders, too.
post #24 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Tried it once, that was enough, kept crashing due to sneaking in Adobe Flash crap.

Safari works fine, so does Firefox.

My MacBook remains Chrome free, don't need it, don't want it, don't care how popular it is.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #25 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My MacBook remains Chrome free, don't need it, don't want it, don't care how popular it is.

I question its popularity, as well. IE is still the standard in most of the world, even though 6 has thankfully now bitten the dust.
post #26 of 102

Regardless, I've made some strides in stopping to use anything Google. And I feel good about it. Reason enough for me.

post #27 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Tried it once, that was enough, kept crashing due to sneaking in Adobe Flash crap.

Safari works fine, so does Firefox.

I'm using AdBlock and removed almost all plugins in all my browsers on my new Retina MacBook Pro. Web pages, let alone plugins, sully the Retina Experience™. Think about it. Native Apps vs Web Pages in your Retina device. Which would you choose? Endless scrolling through tons of words and much more ads?

The Retina Generation™ is here.

post #28 of 102
Quote:

LOL if you think graphics issues don't case problems in Windows XP/Vista/7... :lol: Windows Vista trying to do the Retina upscale and downscale in an almost resolution-independent fashion... Good Luck to Windows. 

I can't even run 3DMark on a new PC without downloading five million things first and going through pages and pages of troubleshooting forums.

Well, I guess my time is mine to use as I see fit, but tell you what, since ditching my PC and going Xbox360/iOS/Mac for games, I have more of it.

post #29 of 102
OS X shouldn't allow a buggy app to crash it. Apple needs to fix that too.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #30 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Lantukh View Post

By this logic we should all use windows!? :)

Nay, this problem occurs on Windows 7 too. A couple of weeks ago Chrome updated, and has locked up dozens of times a day since. I believe it corresponds to flash, but I disable the the flash plugin. Only one other software does this (Winamp,) and it only does it while chrome is running, in which they both lockup at the same time. So something that Chrome is doing, as Winamp won't crash without Chrome being loaded. I can't duplicate the problem on a mac since I don't know of any software that triggers it. 

Just pointing out that Google Chrome's problems aren't specific to MacOS X.

post #31 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Nay, this problem occurs on Windows 7 too. A couple of weeks ago Chrome updated, and has locked up dozens of times a day since. I believe it corresponds to flash, but I disable the the flash plugin. Only one other software does this (Winamp,) and it only does it while chrome is running, in which they both lockup at the same time. So something that Chrome is doing, as Winamp won't crash without Chrome being loaded. I can't duplicate the problem on a mac since I don't know of any software that triggers it. 

Just pointing out that Google Chrome's problems aren't specific to MacOS X.

But windows 7 did not crash at the kernel level.

If a program crashes, only the program should crash. If a program crashes a driver, only the driver should crash (and restart). If you can lockup the kernel using a driver this will lead to potential hacks which can run at kernel level.

post #32 of 102
LOL maybe this guy wrote the graphics drivers... 282
post #33 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

But windows 7 did not crash at the kernel level.

If a program crashes, only the program should crash. If a program crashes a driver, only the driver should crash (and restart). If you can lockup the kernel using a driver this will lead to potential hacks which can run at kernel level.

Yes indeed. While it's ridiculous to read that Google would be responsible for the crash (Apple is responsible for letting bad code crash the Mac...), the real issue is with security.

That said, I've seen quite a few bluescreens recently when playing games on Windows, so I wouldn't go as far as saying that Apple's worse than Microsoft nowadays. There are reasons why I own Macs and not Dells :D

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #34 of 102

Never had a problem with Chrome personally, though this does sound worrying. I see that Safari is bringing on-board a lot of Chrome's features, such as the omnibox so obviously Apple are fans of Chrome as well.

Glad to hear Google admit that there's a problem rather than ignoring it.

post #35 of 102
Quote:

War is not peace. Freedom is not slavery. Ignorance is not strength.
But you are a troll.

So he's a troll just because he has a different viewpoint ?

Also, He has backed up his statement with a quote from the apple site.

What basis have you to call him a troll,expect your closed,bigoted mind?

Ad hominem attacks are banned according to the rules and regulations.

And here you are,a moderator,calling another person a troll simply because he does not agree with you.

Welcome to BigotedInsider people where the moderators want a forum of yes men to massage their egos.

post #36 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

The Retina Generation™ is here.

Apple Users: Living in the post-pixel world.

post #37 of 102
I agree with Google, a user space app should not be able to cause a kernel panic. If an app is constantly allocating kernel resources (e.g. memory in the video driver) and not freeing them, the kernel should detect it and kill the process.
post #38 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Apple Users: Living in the post-pixel world.

You mean: Living in the invisible pixel world.

post #39 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by libdem View Post

So he's a troll just because he has a different viewpoint ?

Nope.
Quote:
What basis have you to call him a troll,expect your closed,bigoted mind?

1,507 posts of an anti-Apple nature on an Apple forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1pTr0p View Post

Let me see if I get this straight. A single, little, teeny, tiny bug in the program caused the whole flipping operating system to crash? That is beyond flipping pathetic! Fix your shit, Apple!

Case in point.
post #40 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Never had a problem with Chrome personally, though this does sound worrying. I see that Safari is bringing on-board a lot of Chrome's features, such as the omnibox so obviously Apple are fans of Chrome as well.

Glad to hear Google admit that there's a problem rather than ignoring it.

Actually Google are fans of Safari seeing as how that's what Chrome is based on as can be seen in the open source license agreements of Chrome and Android.

Try putting things the right way around the next time.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Google admits Chrome bug responsible for crashing MacBook Airs