or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Adobe to end new Android Flash installs on August 15
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe to end new Android Flash installs on August 15

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
Adobe's mobile Flash days are now numbered, as the company has announced that it will no longer accept new Flash Player installations through the Google Play application store after August 15 and will not support the upcoming 4.1 Jelly Bean version of Android.

Following up on the announcement last November that it was discontinuing development of Flash for mobile browsers, Adobe published (via The Verge) a blog post on Thursday detailing deprecated support for the player on Android.

"Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed," the post read.

Adobe also said that there will not be any Flash-certified Android 4.1 devices. Though in the past unsupported devices were sometimes able to get Flash Player working, the company said that this is "no longer going to be the case" because it has not developed or tested the player for the upcoming version of Android and its browsers.

Adobe Flash on Android
Adobe Flash Android screenshot. Source: Google Play


Android users who want to keep running Flash as legacy software will need to download and install Flash before the August 15th deadline. Adobe also recommends that they stay on Android 4.0, as Flash Player on 4.1 Jelly Bean could exhibit "unpredictable behavior."

"We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1," the company wrote.

Last year, an Adobe manager put part of the blame on Apple for the demise of mobile Flash. Mike Chambers acknowledged that the software would never reach "anywhere near the ubiquity" of its install base on desktops because Apple would not allow Flash Player in the iOS browser.

"No matter what we did, the Flash Player was not going to be available on Apple?s iOS anytime in the foreseeable future," he said.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs set off an intense debate about the merits of Flash in 2010 with his open letter criticizing the format as outdated and needlessly proprietary.

Android makers decided early on to advertise Flash as a differentiating feature of their devices as compared to Apple's own. The move ultimately backfired on companies like Motorola, as Flash support ended up being postponed due to technical issues.

Xoom
post #2 of 78
"But… But how will we have the REAL web without Flash?!

How… how will we feel superior to everyone else?!"

And on another note, how much longer does everyone think we'll even have Flash for desktops? 2015?
post #3 of 78
So Adobe is blaming Apple for removing Flash from Android devices? Didn't Google just get through telling us there's 1 million daily activations? Now Adobe, even if Apple doesn't want your flash mess, why would you decline the opportunity to include Flash on hundreds of millions of Android devices? I'll tell you why - it performs like crap regardless of the mobile platform, and you finally raised the white flag of surrender.
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But… But how will we have the REAL web without Flash?!
How… how will we feel superior to everyone else?!"
And on another note, how much longer does everyone think we'll even have Flash for desktops? 2015?

 

Bloody amazing. Just watching the recently released All Things D full Steve Jobs interviews. 110% Vindication for Steve.

 

So sad he wasn't around to see it. Ah well, I guess Buddha and Moses are enjoying their iPads. 

 

Steve:

 

"The problem with humans was that you didn't make them user-friendly enough"

"So, let's create an entire sentient race that's insanely great..."
post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So Adobe is blaming Apple for removing Flash from Android devices? Didn't Google just get through telling us there's 1 million daily activations? Now Adobe, even if Apple doesn't want your flash mess, why would you decline the opportunity to include Flash on hundreds of millions of Android devices? I'll tell you why - it performs like crap regardless of the mobile platform, and you finally raised the white flag of surrender.

 

It's hilarious isn't it. Android is arguably the most popular mobile platform ~of all time~ and Flash on Android had, oh, I don't know, about five years? (Not including Apple asking them to come back with something decent for iOS).

 

And Flash on Android... Why doesn't it work? Or does it? Or does anyone care? Why are most people still on Android 2 and not ICS? Why is this such a cluster****?

post #6 of 78

And so it comes to pass.

post #7 of 78
Excellent

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #8 of 78

All I can say… "well whaddaya know. neeever saw this one coming".

post #9 of 78
And justice prevaile's again.
post #10 of 78
Well, the Flash jockeys infesting AI are nowhere to be found. Guess they're stuffing their faces full of crow.

They're going to hate hearing this, but STEVE JOBS WAS RIGHT YOU JACKA$$E$!!
post #11 of 78

Flash is obnoxious. Get rid of it!

post #12 of 78
It's almost worth crawling back through all the hundreds of forum posts I made in response to moron fandroids whose number one knock on the iPhone was its lack of flash. The last one was l less than a week ago.
post #13 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

It's almost worth crawling back through all the hundreds of forum posts I made in response to moron fandroids whose number one knock on the iPhone was its lack of flash. The last one was l less than a week ago.

Good god, really. You all sound like a bunch of little girls. Everyone knows Adobe was a resource hog and Adobe could never get it to run insanely great on mobile devices. Why does this even bother you guys? Do you really need to post on here saying, "ha ha ha. We were right and you were wrong!"?

By the way, I just picked up a Samsung S3 and it appears to run flash 11 just fine. Doesn't give me any problems. Doesn't mean I want Flash to stay or that Adobe made a good product, but Samsung was somehow able to get Touchwiz and Android to play nice with it.

Mobile Flash is dead... Long live what-ever-the-hell-replaces-it.
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post


Good god, really. You all sound like a bunch of little girls. Everyone knows Adobe was a resource hog and Adobe could never get it to run insanely great on mobile devices. Why does this even bother you guys? Do you really need to post on here saying, "ha ha ha. We were right and you were wrong!"?
By the way, I just picked up a Samsung S3 and it appears to run flash 11 just fine. Doesn't give me any problems. Doesn't mean I want Flash to stay or that Adobe made a good product, but Samsung was somehow able to get Touchwiz and Android to play nice with it.
Mobile Flash is dead... Long live what-ever-the-hell-replaces-it.

Was?! The entire new CS6 Suite is a pig-stye to behold!

Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #15 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well, the Flash jockeys infesting AI are nowhere to be found. Guess they're stuffing their faces full of crow.
They're going to hate hearing this, but STEVE JOBS WAS RIGHT YOU JACKA$$E$!!

 

Steve Jobs was right on so many things, on so many levels. Vindication, is a dish best served with spicy curry. 

post #16 of 78
You're all getting nutty happy about the discontinuation of "Flash," but I'm sorry to advise you that Adobe will still be seen on these devices through their Air runtime.
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

You're all getting nutty happy about the discontinuation of "Flash," but I'm sorry to advise your that Adobe will still be seen on these devices through their Air runtime.

 

*Sigh* Adobe Air...

post #18 of 78

game...set...match...'nuf said

post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Was?! The entire new CS6 Suite is a pig-stye to behold!

Understatement of the century!

I'm still on CS5.5 but I can still run all 10GB of RAM in my iMac into the floor with one relatively large drawing.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

 

Bloody amazing. Just watching the recently released All Things D full Steve Jobs interviews. 110% Vindication for Steve.

 

So sad he wasn't around to see it. Ah well, I guess Buddha and Moses are enjoying their iPads. 

 

Steve:

 

"The problem with humans was that you didn't make them user-friendly enough"

"So, let's create an entire sentient race that's insanely great..."

 

If I believed in an afterlife, I would like to think Steve is up there crafting Human 2.0 right now :)

 

Or "The New Human" I should say...


Edited by monstrosity - 6/29/12 at 3:22am
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

 Long live what-ever-the-hell-replaces-it.

 

Your credibility just went out the window with that last statement. CSS3 and CSS4, plus JavaScript and SVG, are replacing it.

post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

 

Steve Jobs was right on so many things, on so many levels. Vindication, is a dish best served with spicy curry. 

 

That was his brilliance. The ability to step back and see things for what they were, quite often long before anybody else did.

post #23 of 78
To be honest when Steve killed flash iOS devices did not have the CPU power to run it. It's not the case now or in the future with even faster hardware. The web has for the most part move to html5 but streaming live video is still flash and a big part of video also. For me it's not a problem on the iPad because I use iswifter app to see them but without it it will make the web experience on the iPad not be on par with a desktop/laptop pc IMHO...
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

To be honest when Steve killed flash iOS devices did not have the CPU power to run it. It's not the case now or in the future with even faster hardware. The web has for the most part move to html5 but streaming live video is still flash and a big part of video also. For me it's not a problem on the iPad because I use iswifter app to see them but without it it will make the web experience on the iPad not be on par with a desktop/laptop pc IMHO...
I rarely see Flash video players anymore. Most have moved to HTML5. Even on that, Adobe finally gave in and added support for HTTP streaming to their Flash server. At this point, the iPad gives pretty much the same capabilities for viewing web sites as a desktop browser. One of the last functions, the ability to upload files, comes in iOS 6.
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

All I can say… "well whaddaya know. neeever saw this one coming".

I'm not sure, did you forgot to add the scarasm tag, as they announced this in November?
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

 

If I believed in an afterlife, I would like to think Steve is up there crafting Human 2.0 right now :)

 

Or "The New Human" I should say...


You mean, Human 3GS?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

You mean, Human 3GS?

Human 5. lol.gif
post #28 of 78

Can we get rid of it on the desktop also ? My dream one day is for this to happen. As an IT admin I am tired of always having to update it on our macs and pc's . ITs one of the sole reason for both sets of machines crashing.

post #29 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Bloody amazing. Just watching the recently released All Things D full Steve Jobs interviews. 110% Vindication for Steve.

So sad he wasn't around to see it. Ah well, I guess Buddha and Moses are enjoying their iPads. 

Steve:

"The problem with humans was that you didn't make them user-friendly enough"



"So, let's create an entire sentient race that's insanely great..."

Haha ... Brilliant!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #30 of 78

What a class act. We are sorry that we could not make a compelling product for use on mobile devices. I mean, it's all Apple's fault for not supporting us, Apple is the bad guy here, poor little Adobe struggling against the corporate giant who is trying to shut them down. 

post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

It's almost worth crawling back through all the hundreds of forum posts I made in response to moron fandroids whose number one knock on the iPhone was its lack of flash. The last one was l less than a week ago.

 

[...] all the hundreds of forum posts [...] -- uh really? where? because as of this writing the ai system says you have 199 posts to your name. please document your claim.
post #32 of 78

I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead.
I fell down to my feet and I saw they bled.
I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread.
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I was crowned with a spike right thru my head.
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right, Im jumpin jack flash,
Its a gas! gas! gas!

Jumping jack flash, it's a gas
Jumping jack flash, it's a gas
Jumping jack flash, it's a gas
Jumping jack flash, it's a gas
Jumping jack flash"

 

Rolling Stones said it best!

/

/

"/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So Adobe is blaming Apple for removing Flash from Android devices? Didn't Google just get through telling us there's 1 million daily activations? Now Adobe, even if Apple doesn't want your flash mess, why would you decline the opportunity to include Flash on hundreds of millions of Android devices? I'll tell you why - it performs like crap regardless of the mobile platform, and you finally raised the white flag of surrender.

well said. I don't care what other android fans keep saying about apple excluding flash because it was a competeitor blah blah. um, not even remotely close. Steve just didn't want a device that ran like crap. Period. It's not like HTML5 is owned by apple. It's in fact an open standard that's far more portable and runs MUCH smoother. Something that's important for a less powerful mobile device.

post #34 of 78

I have always wanted exactly what websites people who have flash enabled phones are visiting. When I got an iPhone in 2008 perhaps 5% of websites I visited had flash, when i got an iPad in 2010 it was 1% and now I can't remember the last time I came across a website which required flash. Just what are they looking at? May be it is because I don't play web based games.

post #35 of 78
As an Android user I still say this: Good riddance.
Flash is a plague on Android browsers. Glad to see it finally squashed.

Open standards, not proprietary plugins. Next on my death wishlist is Silverlight.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #36 of 78

My guess is Steve Jobs was right about Flash not because of some animosity towards Adobe or Flash per se, but because of the culture at Apple -- a culture which he brought to Apple when he came back. Perfection. 

 

I suspect he was just as hard, if not harder, on the engineers and management at Apple than he was with Adobe and their Flash. If the goal is perfection, then perfection must be reached. I think he had a ruthlessness about him in this regard, and Apple products for the most part show this ruthlessness. As applied to Adobe Flash, Jobs was not being mean or vindictive, he was simply applying the same criteria to Adobe Flash that he applied to Apple products.

post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So Adobe is blaming Apple for removing Flash from Android devices? Didn't Google just get through telling us there's 1 million daily activations? Now Adobe, even if Apple doesn't want your flash mess, why would you decline the opportunity to include Flash on hundreds of millions of Android devices? I'll tell you why - it performs like crap regardless of the mobile platform, and you finally raised the white flag of surrender.

Actually, Apple did drive it. Keep in mind that the overwhelming percentage of web access from mobile devices is from iOS and advertising revenues are heavily skewed toward iOS. While Adobe could have umpty trillion installations if they stuck with Android, web site developer have realized that failure to support iOS is fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Good god, really. You all sound like a bunch of little girls. Everyone knows Adobe was a resource hog and Adobe could never get it to run insanely great on mobile devices. Why does this even bother you guys? Do you really need to post on here saying, "ha ha ha. We were right and you were wrong!"?
By the way, I just picked up a Samsung S3 and it appears to run flash 11 just fine. Doesn't give me any problems. Doesn't mean I want Flash to stay or that Adobe made a good product, but Samsung was somehow able to get Touchwiz and Android to play nice with it.
Mobile Flash is dead... Long live what-ever-the-hell-replaces-it.

Funny how you contradict yourself. First, you say it was a resource hog and Adobe could never get it to run well on mobile devices. Then you say that it works fine on your mobile device. So which is it?

Besides, regarding the bolded, you're missing the entire point. Thousands of Android shills have been running around here for years denying what you just said. Since the iPhone came out without Flash, all we've heard is how great Flash is and how well it works on Mobile devices and that Apple won't support it solely because of {insert your favorite conspiracy theory here}.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

To be honest when Steve killed flash iOS devices did not have the CPU power to run it. It's not the case now or in the future with even faster hardware. The web has for the most part move to html5 but streaming live video is still flash and a big part of video also. For me it's not a problem on the iPad because I use iswifter app to see them but without it it will make the web experience on the iPad not be on par with a desktop/laptop pc IMHO...

Even with current hardware, it's a resource hog. And I don't miss it - nor do the millions of people who don't have it on their mobile devices. More importantly, Adobe doesn't agree with you - they understand that it's pointless to have Flash on mobile devices.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

 

[...] all the hundreds of forum posts [...] -- uh really? where? because as of this writing the ai system says you have 199 posts to your name. please document your claim.

YEAH ! GO !!

 

You really pwned him !! I lol'd so much I was ROFL, 

Way to point out that he was not 'technically' correct in his response and it was a <> logic error. That'll teach him.

 

You must be the MOGHWRD.

 

Now, I *wonder*..... could it be that he also posts on OTHER forums??? Nah.. they dont exist.

post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

As an Android user I still say this: Good riddance.
Flash is a plague on Android browsers. Glad to see it finally squashed.
Open standards, not proprietary plugins. Next on my death wishlist is Silverlight.

And QuickTime too.
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

[...] all the hundreds of forum posts [...] -- uh really? where? because as of this writing the ai system says you have 199 posts to your name. please document your claim.

I guess it never occurred to you that this isn't the only forum on the planet to discuss computer topics?

Not to mention, of course, that he might have other accounts.

It's irrelevant, though. For years, Fandroids were bragging that you needed Android to have "the full internet" because of Flash while the iOS users were saying that Flash sucked and wasn't really necessary.

Turns out the iOS users were right.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Adobe to end new Android Flash installs on August 15