Originally Posted by libdem
Clearly,you have no idea about the future potentials in Storage Domain.
Storage is big and it is going to get bigger now that we are all firmly integrated in Web 2.0 with information increasing exponiantially.
Informatoin is where the money is whether you like it or not.
Bertrand Serlet has millions though so I doubt his motivation is money.
If you make a sucess of it, the returns can be massive:
$240m revenue with 70 staff, some estimates suggest 70-85% profit margins. But like I say, if you already have lots of money, I don't see the cloud as an exciting business to be in unless you do something that hasn't been done before like gaming but that's been done now along with cloud desktops, music and everything else.
Their job ad is intriguing:
UI Design Engineer (Palo Alto, CA)
Upthere is inventing new technology to tame an everyday consumer problem in our increasingly connected world. You will be responsible for designing everything the user sees about our application. The simplicity and elegance of the interface you design will belie the complexity of the hard-core technology underneath.
This is principally a visual design role. Product development will involve a tight collaboration between you, the interaction designer and engineers. Nevertheless, we like generalists so expertise in interaction design or development is a huge plus.
Must Have Qualifications
- You can think out of the box. There's no precedent for what we're building, so you are comfortable creating new paradigms of interaction.
- You are extremely meticulous. Our engineers are perfectionists and we expect no less from our design counterpart.
- You can use typography effectively to establish our identity.
- You have strong iconography skills. You are equally adept at creating 16x16 pixel and large photo-realistic icons.
- You understand HTML, CSS and web standards. Our engineers will faithfully realize your creations but our experience is that the best designers understand the technology.
- You can design us an awesome logo.
Additional Success Factors
- You have experience or education in interaction design or HCI.
- You have experience designing apps for the web, mobile or OS X.
About upthere, inc.
We are an early-stage start-up (6 persons) in stealth mode based in downtown Palo Alto off of University Avenue.
Our founders were key to building the world's leading operating system (Mac OS X) and database (Oracle) and have a clear vision of core technology for a Cloud OS.
If you want to blaze a path across uncharted territories, come start the journey with us!
Job Perks: Work with an amazing team on University Avenue, help change the world : )
They sure need a better logo than what they have now. They can use my Pixar mockup if they want.
They also say 'there's no precedent for what we're building' and 'uncharted territories' so that kind of suggests it's not like any other service that currently exists. So no cloud computing, gaming, hosting, movies, music or desktop. What else is there? A cloud cloud - a cloud service that lets you deploy another cloud service?