or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Proview's $60M iPad payout called a 'thuggish' win over Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Proview's $60M iPad payout called a 'thuggish' win over Apple

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
The $60 million settlement paid by Apple for use of the "iPad" name has been a hot topic in China, with a number of users online calling Proview's tactics a "thuggish" way to earn a payout.

China's widespread online reaction to the Proview settlement was captured on Monday by The Wall Street Journal, which noted the word "thug" was a common word choice among popular social networking sites in China like Sina Weibo. "Intellectual property awareness is something to be supported, but Proview is definitely guilty of playing the thug," user "Gosipier" wrote.

Other users joked that Proview's $60 million settlement could prompt others to begin registering various Apple-like "iProduct" names in hopes of getting their own eventual settlement. But Proview made its own product called the "iPAD," or Internet Personal Access Device," beginning in the late '90s.

Many users expressed excitement over the settlement, hoping that the resolution of the dispute between Apple and Proview could lead to the release of the latest third-generation iPad in China. The new iPad was granted regulatory approval by the government in China in late March, but it has yet to go on sale.

China has become a very important part of Apple's business in recent years, as the nation now leads the world in iOS device activations. Last year, the region was the second-largest market for Apple, behind only the U.S.

New iPad


The Guangdong High People's Court announced that Apple had reached an agreement with Proview to pay $60 million for the rights to the Chinese iPad trademark on Sunday. Earlier reports suggested Proview was seeking $400 million for the iPad trademark, and the company was said to have turned down a $16 million settlement offer from Apple.
post #2 of 38

"But Proview made its own product called the "iPAD," or Internet Personal Access Device," beginning in the late '90s"... Yeah, and have you seen this product? It's a lame clone of the first, translucent iMacs! This should have been reason enough for Proview to forfeit any rights to the IPAD name, as well as to pay Apple retroactive damages for their blatant samsung-style copying...

post #3 of 38

I'm actually a little surprised about the general response of the Chinese. They're usually known as a quite conservative culture, so I assumed (wrongly) that they'd back Proview because of the high values they have to their own companies and such. Nice to hear that they also see Proview as some sort of patent-esk thug :)

 

On the other hand, I'm also equally as surprised that Apple didn't backfired Proview's claim by stating that Proview's iPAD was a direct copy of the original translusent iMac... and then gétting 60mln dollars instead of having to pay it. Oh well, a quick finish might be good in this case. I bet Apple's busy enough fighting Motorola and Samsung at this moment :)


Edited by flabber - 7/2/12 at 5:55am
post #4 of 38

Proview is not getting the 60 Million.  It's creditors are finally going to get paid, courtesy Apple.  Then Proview can dissolve as the has been company that failed that it was/is!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #5 of 38
I can only hope that Proviews debt is far more than the settlement.
post #6 of 38

I wonder if M$ is a secret partner in Proview ??????

post #7 of 38

So much effort - time and money, for such a lousy product name.

post #8 of 38
$400 million

As for this payout, Apple could have paid that much in legal costs to keep up the fight. Plus the risk that Proview would find a way to get exports banned, cutting off world supplies isn't worth it. Apple will remake this money within the week on world iPad sales.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 38

I hope Apple delays payment so long it doesn't matter.

post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I can only hope that Proviews debt is far more than the settlement.

The word is about $400 is needed to completely pay off their creditors. I firmly believe they have lobbying the courts to get a hefty payout from Apple, yet one that would end it quickly. I expect Proview to be liquidated in record time with Proview never being able to touch that money to "rebuild" their business.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

I'm actually a little surprised about the general response of the Chinese. They're usually known as a quite conservative culture, so I assumed (wrongly) that they'd back Proview because of the high values they have to their own companies and such. Nice to hear that they also see Proview as some sort of patent-esk thug :)

 

I wonder how much Proview contributes to the Chinese economy, as opposed to Apple? This was always going to go Apple's way, $60m is a rounding error on their monthly PnL. it won't save Proview, just give their creditors a little more return, which is what this was all about.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #12 of 38
Calling the Chinese "Thugs"? No, bad, bad Wall Street Journal. How dare you bigoted, xenophobic, white-middle-class.... Oh, wait. A Chinese said that. That's okay then. Because it's like using the N word when you're black. All cool. But be warned, nary a Westerner can say that, nor even anyone not living in China. Because you will be strongly whipped by the new cane of political correctness, now wielded mercilessly.
Edited by sr2012 - 7/2/12 at 7:25am
post #13 of 38
When Apple originally purchased the rights to the iPad name through the Taiwanese Proview Affiliate, did they not understand there is huge political divide between Taiwan and China? Assuming that China would honor a Taiwanese transaction has turned out to be a colossal $60 million+ mistake that Mr Sewell (Apple's General Counsel) should be taking responsibility for.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Calling the Chinese "Thugs"? No, bad, bad Wall Street Journal. How dare you bigoted, xenophobic, white-middle-class.... Oh, wait. A Chinese said that. That's okay then. Because it's like using the N word when you're black. All cool. But be warned, nary a Westerner can say that, nor even anyone not living in China.

It's clearly noted that Proview is guilt of playing the thug. There was not calling all of China names. There was no jacking of the thread to say how all of China is bunch of lowlife pieces of shit. When you group all the people from a nation into a single category so you can disparage them you are being a bigot.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #15 of 38

Sure it was thuggish. And Apple's ploy to grab the iPad name by setting up a phony company was sleazy. Big deal. This is business, not a campfire sing-along. If I were Proview I would have held Apple's feet to the fire for this too.

 

Anyone who says they wouldn't do the same if they were Proview's CEO is kidding themselves.

post #16 of 38
Wow, this decision just sucked up .0005% of Apple's cash on hand. The end is near!
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's clearly noted that Proview is guilt of playing the thug. There was not calling all of China names. There was no jacking of the thread to say how all of China is bunch of lowlife pieces of shit. When you group all the people from a nation into a single category so you can disparage them you are being a bigot.

Nice, calling names, lowlife pieces of shit... Funny, I don't think I did that but seems like you're doing that here. Nice strawman.

So Proview is the thug. One Proview? No courts? No government officials? Pity the poor courts and government, bullied by thuggish Proview.

I did not make the whole of China to be the enemy, as I mentioned there are things going on there that are concerning. Things Chinese citizens are concerned of too ~ just read one of the non-state-sponsored media. Nor is Proview the only thug in the scheme of things here.

Face it. People would rather be politically correct nowadays than face the actual "shit" out there in the real world outside their borders.

As for jacking threads? I guess it would be better calling each other names and Android users weirdos and losers. Because that's so substantial.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So much effort - time and money, for such a lousy product name.

The value of a product name is measured in dollars.  How lousy is it, exactly?

post #19 of 38
No one heard of the ipad before the iPad. Unless Proview had a significant market presence of its product in China, this settlement is absurd.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

I wonder if M$ is a secret partner in Proview ??????

 

 

chinagangster1.jpg

 

 

ChineseGangster4.jpg

 

 

 

At this this point, it's no longer about business. It's all about "certain parties" in the relationship making out like bandits. This is how you "wind up the business" in certain parts of Europe and Asia. 

 

Take as much as you can, call it a "fee" or a "percentage" for services rendered, and pay who you need to pay to shut up about it (or rather, wine, dine and otherwise entertain them, throw some a.ss their way, etc.) and discuss future deals.

 

Done. 

 

(Just don't leave your damn phone laying around.)  

post #21 of 38
Quadra, that is a racist post (according to some...) and should be removed immediately, especially if I say it reminds me of one of my former bosses (I've had bosses of all spectrums of the rainbow over the past 10 years, but this guy does remind me of one in particular).

And how dare you say deals are done like that, aren't you vilifying entire countries? Tsk Tsk.

I definitely like the tattoos and what appears to be bike shorts at the beach... but the bulging gut kind of takes away from the badassery.

Also nice is the piles of money and he couldn't even be bothered to get a proper sofa from Ikea or something.
Edited by sr2012 - 7/2/12 at 9:23am
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

When Apple originally purchased the rights to the iPad name through the Taiwanese Proview Affiliate, did they not understand there is huge political divide between Taiwan and China? Assuming that China would honor a Taiwanese transaction has turned out to be a colossal $60 million+ mistake that Mr Sewell (Apple's General Counsel) should be taking responsibility for.

You do not really understand the situation do you??    The HEAD OF PROVIEW came from the office in China (Shenzen (sp) to meet in Taiwan with reps who signed the contract.   The head office and Taiwan office were both fully involved.  There was NO separation of China and rest of world wording in the contract.   Once they found out it was Apple.... suddenly they wanted 1.6 billion dollars more...  

 

Crime and government working hand in hand cause that is how it works in China.   

 

Just a thought.

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

The value of a product name is measured in dollars.  How lousy is it, exactly?

Well, the value of the product name went up a lot after Apple said they were going to use it for their most awesome product ever. That's when Proview panicked and started this grand scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

You do not really understand the situation do you??    The HEAD OF PROVIEW came from the office in China (Shenzen (sp) to meet in Taiwan with reps who signed the contract.   The head office and Taiwan office were both fully involved.  There was NO separation of China and rest of world wording in the contract.   Once they found out it was Apple.... suddenly they wanted 1.6 billion dollars more...

This has been repeated over and over and over again, some people just refuse to accept it. I'm not saying Apple is 100% right, but the whole "roommate from college in Taiwan" signing off on the deal is such a annoying meme it just won't die. And it's blatantly obvious once it was known that it was Apple that certain Proview hearts skipped many, many beats.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

I wonder if M$ is a secret partner in Proview ??????

It would make sense - they have been backing a lot of losers lately.

 

(And seriously? M$?? Are you twleve? At least spell it out in full - Micro$ux Windoze :rolleyes: )

post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomie View Post

"But Proview made its own product called the "iPAD," or Internet Personal Access Device," beginning in the late '90s"... Yeah, and have you seen this product? It's a lame clone of the first, translucent iMacs! This should have been reason enough for Proview to forfeit any rights to the IPAD name, as well as to pay Apple retroactive damages for their blatant samsung-style copying...

Not everyone is copying Apple.... Why do you fanboys always think everyone copies Apple's ideas. Yes, Samsung copies Apple, but there are a lot of companies who don't. Don't think Apple is the god of technology and everyone else is a blatant copier of Apple. Sure, Apple does great work, but they don't invent everything.
post #26 of 38

No big deal. Apple gets the trademark, Chinese factories get loads of Apple investment, the Chinese government can claim to stand up to foreign companies and some creditors get a little relief.

 

Now Apple can get back to to making billions and billions of dollars. Don't worry, be happy.

post #27 of 38

Well, at least this thing is over with. 60 million is peanuts for Apple, it's not even pocket change.

post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

... Apple's ploy to grab the iPad name by setting up a phony company was sleazy.....

 

This is a very common business tactic, nothing sleazy about it.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Sure it was thuggish. And Apple's ploy to grab the iPad name by setting up a phony company was sleazy. Big deal. This is business, not a campfire sing-along. If I were Proview I would have held Apple's feet to the fire for this too.

 

Anyone who says they wouldn't do the same if they were Proview's CEO is kidding themselves.


how was it sleazy? Apple was protecting itself from extortion.

 

If you own a trademark and you thought it was worth a lot, would you settle for $60K?

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Wow, this decision just sucked up .0005% of Apple's cash on hand. The end is near!

 

Exactly my thoughts.....

post #31 of 38

Apple is guilty here, their tactics were "thuggish", hiring a third party to buy the iPad name so that they don't pay a premium price was unfair. If Apple wasn't in the wrong they wouldn't pay $60 million. You all need to know that Corporations, and Apple can sometimes be evil.

post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Apple is guilty here, their tactics were "thuggish", hiring a third party to buy the iPad name so that they don't pay a premium price was unfair. If Apple wasn't in the wrong they wouldn't pay $60 million. You all need to know that Corporations, and Apple can sometimes be evil.

Now it's evil to use third parties? 😒

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Apple is guilty here, their tactics were "thuggish", hiring a third party to buy the iPad name so that they don't pay a premium price was unfair. If Apple wasn't in the wrong they wouldn't pay $60 million. You all need to know that Corporations, and Apple can sometimes be evil.

Ah, yes. Your post is an example of the unreality that these forums are known for.

A settlement is not a judgment. There was no court that ruled Apple was in the wrong. This $60 million settlement was worked out between Apple and Proview.
And what Apple did to acquire the iPad trademark while protecting their right to secrecy was perfectly legal. Companies do it all the time. Surely you can see that, even through the fog of your deep ignorance.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

You do not really understand the situation do you??    The HEAD OF PROVIEW came from the office in China (Shenzen (sp) to meet in Taiwan with reps who signed the contract.   The head office and Taiwan office were both fully involved.  There was NO separation of China and rest of world wording in the contract.   Once they found out it was Apple.... suddenly they wanted 1.6 billion dollars more...  

Crime and government working hand in hand cause that is how it works in China.   

Just a thought.

Carrying Apple's water here? The reality is that Apple tried to play a shell game with Proview's affiliate in Taiwan and they got sucker punched. If they had signed the agreement with Shenzhen Proview Technology in China sans this Taiwanese affiliate, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Carrying Apple's water here? The reality is that Apple tried to play a shell game with Proview's affiliate in Taiwan and they got sucker punched. If they had signed the agreement with Shenzhen Proview Technology in China sans this Taiwanese affiliate, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Really? Where's your evidence?

Specifically in light of the fact that the Hong Kong court specifically ordered Proview to stop claiming that they owned the trademark and the US court threw it out, it would be curious how you plan to back up that statement.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Carrying Apple's water here? The reality is that Apple tried to play a shell game with Proview's affiliate in Taiwan and they got sucker punched. If they had signed the agreement with Shenzhen Proview Technology in China sans this Taiwanese affiliate, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Does your opinion change once you learn that the Taiwanese company is the parent and the China division is only the subsidiary?
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Ah, yes. Your post is an example of the unreality that these forums are known for.
A settlement is not a judgment. There was no court that ruled Apple was in the wrong. This $60 million settlement was worked out between Apple and Proview.
And what Apple did to acquire the iPad trademark while protecting their right to secrecy was perfectly legal. Companies do it all the time. Surely you can see that, even through the fog of your deep ignorance.

 

How can you call somebody else ignorant, just look at what you are saying. The Supreme Court of China did find Apple in the wrong here, and threatened to ban all exports of the iPad. Second, if somebody knows they weren't guilty they would NEVER pay even $6 million, let alone $60 million. Stop being a sheep and defending Apple even when they are clearly wrong.

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

The Supreme Court of China did find Apple in the wrong here

But we know they were in the right.
Quote:
…if somebody knows they weren't guilty they would NEVER pay even $6 million, let alone $60 million.

You know that, do you? You're certain?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Proview's $60M iPad payout called a 'thuggish' win over Apple