or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › On The Topic Of Racism

On The Topic Of Racism - Page 2

post #41 of 49

You are a complete fool to say this. Prove what i am a Jew. No sachel what so ever.

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

So make up your mind... Is discrimination good or bad?

Just because YOU consider something to be "positive" discrimination, it's still discrimination.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So make up your mind... Is discrimination good or bad?
Just because YOU consider something to be "positive" discrimination, it's still discrimination.

???

"positive discrimination" is a commonly used synonym for "affirmative action". I'm sorry if the term offends your sensibilities,... perhaps I should have used the term "positive action"....

I should have thought that my previous post made it clear that I consider, the concept, to be a necessary evil when addressing imbalances arising from discrimination.

post #44 of 49
Quote:

???

"positive discrimination" is a commonly used synonym for "affirmative action". I'm sorry if the term offends your sensibilities,... perhaps I should have used the term "positive action"....

I should have thought that my previous post made it clear that I consider, the concept, to be a necessary evil when addressing imbalances arising from discrimination.

I think we don't need to dismantle any existing positive discrimination/ affirmative action. But going forward, it really has no future for humanity, I believe. People are simply not responsible in this day and age to handle things like this. The root of racism must be addressed. Including racism against non-Muslims and Whites in many parts of the world.

Tabula Rasa for a new age. The Age Of Aquarius.
post #45 of 49

Discrimination is bad period.

post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

I think we don't need to dismantle any existing positive discrimination/ affirmative action. But going forward, it really has no future for humanity, I believe. People are simply not responsible in this day and age to handle things like this. The root of racism must be addressed. Including racism against non-Muslims and Whites in many parts of the world.
Tabula Rasa for a new age. The Age Of Aquarius.

Indeed there are white people that suffer discrimination as a result of the colour of their skin but throughout most of the "West" white people are the majority and the racism experienced by them is not instituionalised in nature and as such has a lesser impact on key sectors of their life, such as educational or vocational attainment.  I am not suggesting that the personal ramifications are any more or less but I do get bored of white males who claim that they couldn't get a job because the employer only wanted handicaped black lesbians. In virtually every case (that has been relayed to me) the applicant has been as thick as sh!t.

I often point to religion as being an extremely divisive tool, promoting a "us Vs them" mentality but I have to confess that it is human nature to find differences between people and then for someone to exploit those difference for their own gain whilst the weak willed jump on the band wagon.

I don't however subscribe to the "we're all doomed" mantra. In my lifetime I have seen London become more tolerant of mixed and different races (we still have a long way to go). In part I put this down to the fact that our "Empire" (the largest ever) collapsed after the war. Whilst it was based on exploitation it allowed a limited freedom of movement of peoples from the empire. Humbled by the experience, we have moved away from the whole flag waving jingoism. We were once great, now we are a little bit crap, but that humility has helped to foster a healthy cynicism. We no longer doff our caps to VIPs and believe everything our government tells us  Government now finds it harder to create bogeymen.

post #47 of 49
Quote:

???

Semantics aside, it's still discrimination whether you call it "affirmative action" or whatever....  affirmative action for one race IS discrimination against all others.

So you feel discrimination OK as long as you label it "affirmative action"?  Fight discrimination with more discrimination ???

I'll ask again: Is discrimination good or bad?

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Semantics aside, it's still discrimination whether you call it "affirmative action" or whatever....  affirmative action for one race IS discrimination against all others.

So you feel discrimination OK as long as you label it "affirmative action"?  Fight discrimination with more discrimination ???

I'll ask again: Is discrimination good or bad?

I am not sure why you are so intent on me saying (specifically) that any kind of discrimination is bad.

I have already stated that I believe it to be a necessary evil (sometimes).

Life is far from black and white (no pun intended). If I were to discover that a local family with a severely disabled kid were to pay less taxes than mine (in the form of "handouts" etc) I would not feel that we have been discriminated against because we have no disabled kids.

IMO a civilized society should try to protect the most vulnerable, if that means adopting positive discrimination in the short term then so be it.

Edited by hungover - 7/17/12 at 11:43pm
post #49 of 49

OK... so you think that discrimination is O.K. and even desirable.  (evil, yes, but still it's OK.)

How does one determine which discrimination is positive, and which discrimination is negative?

Comparing charity and welfare programs with affirmative action is a bit of a stretch, Mr. Armstrong!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › On The Topic Of Racism