or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sued over 'Snow Leopard' moniker in China for $80K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sued over 'Snow Leopard' moniker in China for $80K

post #1 of 99
Thread Starter 
Coming on the heels of Proview's successful $60 million settlement with Apple, a new suit is being brought against the iPad maker from a China-based chemical company that owns the rights to the Chinese language translation of "Snow Leopard."

According to a report from M.I.C. Gadget (via The Next Web), Jiangsu Xuebao (Jiangsu Snow Leopard Daily Chemical Co.), a Chinese maker of household chemicals like detergents and toothpaste, registered for the "Xuebao (雪豹)" trademark in 2000, some nine years before Apple released the seventh major version of its OS X operating system under the name "Snow Leopard." Coincidentally Proview, the company involved in a drawn-out suit against Apple which was ultimately settled on Monday for $60 million, was granted the rights to "IPAD" in the same year.

The company is suing Apple for 500,000 RMB, about $80,645, and an apology though the case is unlikely to bear fruit since the Mac maker never used "Xuebao" or the Chinese characters to sell the software in China. Jiangsu Xuebao is also filing suit against four other companies that advertise and sell OS X Snow Leopard.

Jiangsu Xuebao used the trademark to market a touchscreen ad display and a mobile EPR software suite. According to the company's CEO, a 2008 Apple attempt to register the "Xuebao" name was denied by the Chinese trademark office. He goes on to say that the rejection was due to Jiansu Xuebao's existing filing and extrapolates the decision as proof of violation.

Xuebao
Chinese trademark filing for "Xuebao (雪豹)" or Snow Leopard. | Source: M.I.C. Gadget


Interestingly, Jiangsu Xuebao's website states that the company was established in 2002, two years after it filed for the "Xuebao" name.

A Shanghai court has agreed to hear the case which is scheduled to start on July 10.
post #2 of 99
Extortion over fully owned names works against Apple in China so why not pile on?¡

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #3 of 99

Stupid Chinese and their corrupted communist government.  Never deal with the communist.

 

We, non-communist Vietnamese, always say, "Never believe what a communist says; carefully observe a communist's action.

 

Apparently, they listen to us because their observe their own corrupted actions.  When Apple gave in, they pile on another stupid frivolous lawsuit.  This is why I despise communism and would never ever do business with such a corrupted entity.

post #4 of 99

这就是所谓的挤奶在中国的摇钱树,太。

post #5 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

这就是所谓的挤奶在中国的摇钱树,太。

and a whole lotta milk it is. Not enough for much else tho

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Stupid Chinese and their corrupted communist government.  Never deal with the communist.

 

We, non-communist Vietnamese, always say, "Never believe what a communist says; carefully observe a communist's action.

 

Apparently, they listen to us because their observe their own corrupted actions.  When Apple gave in, they pile on another stupid frivolous lawsuit.  This is why I despise communism and would never ever do business with such a corrupted entity.

 

While I agree that the lawsuit is disgustingly frivolous, the Chinese are *far* from communist. They are a capitalist oligarchy.
post #7 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Stupid Chinese and their corrupted communist government.  Never deal with the communist.

 

We, non-communist Vietnamese, always say, "Never believe what a communist says; carefully observe a communist's action.

 

Apparently, they listen to us because their observe their own corrupted actions.  When Apple gave in, they pile on another stupid frivolous lawsuit.  This is why I despise communism and would never ever do business with such a corrupted entity.

 

Uh . . . your country *is* Communist, even if loosely. The North Vietnamese overran Saigon and threw out the invaders. 

 

Your government is a one-party entity (central) and your economy is market (capitalist) controlled. This is almost exactly the same as China. 

 

Of course, *you* personally might not consider yourself this sort of Vietnamese (especially if you're living in the West.) Is that what you meant?

post #8 of 99

This was the danger in capitulating to the iPad swindle.

post #9 of 99

Personally, I would absolutely buy Mac OSX Xuebao.

post #10 of 99

Good luck.  I don't see that they have much of a case.

 

But it is always very difficult to know if all the relevant facts are set forth accurately in AI stories. 

post #11 of 99
What does this have to do with the Chinese government? It's just some greedy company tryin to win a buck. There's over a billion people in the country bit every action by every citizen is sponsored by the government mate. There aren't many frivolous lawsuits in any other country?
post #12 of 99

Many in the west have been pushing China to liberalize their economy, so that they better match ours.  Surely this is just part of the process.....

 

Don't innovate when you can just sue the shit out of everyone!

post #13 of 99

here they come

post #14 of 99

Do they even have a case? I don't see the English words "Snow Leopard" anywhere on the filing.

post #15 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Extortion over fully owned names works against Apple in China so why not pile on?¡

No, no. I'm waiting for trolls to post about how Apple is in the wrong on this one. How Apple is evil for trying to steal the name "Snow Leopard" in China without paying up for it. C'mon, you know they'll find a way to spin it into "Apple is wrong." Just give it some time...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #16 of 99

Apple needs to pay up for using other people's trademarks. The Androids are selling like crazy in China. Any delay will allow Samsung Galaxy and Tablets to surpass iPhone and iPad in sales.


Edited by peter236 - 7/2/12 at 5:44pm
post #17 of 99
$80,000…

No, seriously, how much money do they want. That's probably a day's take at a New York Apple Store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple needs to pay up for using other people's trademarks.

And sarcasm needs to be indicated as such.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #18 of 99

And in more news:

 

Apple, who recently successfully purchased the rights to the term 'The New iPad' in every language on Earth, begins litigation against every single company on the face of the planet that has used the words 'iPad', 'New', and 'The'.

 

Lawyers around the world rejoice, with many of them retiring before even completing their law degrees!

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #19 of 99

iThug

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #20 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Coming on the heels of Proview's successful $60 million settlement with Apple, a new suit is being brought against the iPad maker from a China-based chemical company that owns the rights to the Chinese language translation of "Snow Leopard."
According to a report from M.I.C. Gadget (via The Next Web), Jiangsu Xuebao (Jiangsu Snow Leopard Daily Chemical Co.), a Chinese maker of household chemicals like detergents and toothpaste, registered for the "Xuebao (雪豹)" trademark in 2000, some nine years before Apple released the seventh major version of its OS X operating system under the name "Snow Leopard."
(Now™ I get it...
I accidentally™ ordered a copy of Snow Leopard™ from Apple Inc.™ when I really meant to order 18 palettes™ of Mr. Sparkle™ detergent from Jiangsu Snow Leopard Daily Chemical Co.™
The company™ names are so similar, I™ can see how anybody™ could get confused™. I will have to double and triple check™ my order next time™.
I kept trying to clean the dishes with a DVD but it only lasted a few times then the labeling wore off and I had no idea which disc was which) © 2012 Me
post #21 of 99

Next lawsuit: A Chinese bread company sued Google over 'gingerbread', 'ice cream sandwich', 'jelly bean' for $120 million US dollars. lol.

post #22 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleGuy View Post

Next lawsuit: A Chinese bread company sued Google over 'gingerbread', 'ice cream sandwich', 'jelly bean' for $120 million US dollars. lol.

Proview makes monitors... they sue Apple for the iPad brand.

CTL makes monitors, they have a Nexus brand.. do you think they will sue Google for the Nexus 7 brand?  doubt it. 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #23 of 99
Imagine if Apple's OS nicknames were based on genus Ailuropoda and they wandered into Panda name territory. Holy jeez if they dared to put the word Happy or Lucky in front.

O



ver
post #24 of 99

Not to mention the Wi-Fi base stations.

post #25 of 99
Fair go all, what's with the Chinese bashing!? Apple is the first company to jump on anyone that that uses a similar symbol to its own, or even similar wording. All companies must defend their trademarks or risk having them diluted or losing them. Jiangsu is asking a pittance which shows it is not really interested in the money, just in defending its trademark. Now, Apple will probably fight it as they too want to defend the Snow Leopard name but some sort of small settle will probably be made, maybe allowing both companies to use the name.

Food for thought (pun intended)

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2009/10/06/Apple-Of-Their-i-Apple-Sues-Aussie-Woolworths-Over-Trademark.aspx
post #26 of 99

In other news, Apple reconsiders plans for OSX 10.88 Lucky Spring Lotus Star Dragon 

post #27 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

In other news, Apple reconsiders plans for OSX 10.88 Lucky Spring Lotus Star Dragon 

I understand the term 'Jade Gate' is property of the oldest Chinese profession. Anything Jade is out of the question.
post #28 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Fair go all, what's with the Chinese bashing!? Apple is the first company to jump on anyone that that uses a similar symbol to its own, or even similar wording. All companies must defend their trademarks or risk having them diluted or losing them. Jiangsu is asking a pittance which shows it is not really interested in the money, just in defending its trademark. Now, Apple will probably fight it as they too want to defend the Snow Leopard name but some sort of small settle will probably be made, maybe allowing both companies to use the name.
Food for thought (pun intended)
http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2009/10/06/Apple-Of-Their-i-Apple-Sues-Aussie-Woolworths-Over-Trademark.aspx

The people that would confuse what they are selling with an OS made for exclusive hardware..... are not Apple's market. I think it's called satire. If there's a thing in nature called a snow leopard, those guys are screwed. It's prior art whether you are from Adam or chimp.
post #29 of 99

Easy fix.  Just change the name in China to "Snow Repord".

post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoslick View Post

Easy fix.  Just change the name in China to "Snow Repord".

 

Or Mac OS X 10.6

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #31 of 99

whats wrong with Mountain Rion? 

post #32 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Imagine if Apple's OS nicknames were based on genus Ailuropoda and they wandered into Panda name territory. Holy jeez if they dared to put the word Happy or Lucky in front.
O
ver
BHA
post #33 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

whats wrong with Mountain Rion? 

 

Nice try, but the Chinese don't do the L R thing, that's the Japanese.
post #34 of 99

I think that this is getting ridiculous! I'm sure every animal name is taken somewhere so pretty much nothing is left!

post #35 of 99

"Hey Apple, we're a bankrupt Chinese company, and we hold the Chinese trademark for 'fruit', and since an apple is a fruit, you need to pay us, like.... I dunno, $60 Million?"

 

Proview's victory just opened the floodgates.

post #36 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

 

Nice try, but the Chinese don't do the L R thing, that's the Japanese.

First of all, explaining a joke ruins it, second of off, ive been to hong kong & Japan, i know the difference, but a joke is for laughs, I thought you might get funny, you know because of your user name? :p

post #37 of 99

In other news, one of the world's oldest partnerships is suing Apple Inc. for use of their trademark.  Said a representative, "I think our usage of the Apple is firmly established.  You will find evidence in any motel room nightstand.  For use of our trademark, we demand that Apple take it's fair share of Original Sin."

 

Signed,

Adam and Eve Inc.

post #38 of 99

Having settled with Proview for $60M, Apple is going to be harassed for all their worth. 

 

Cook is not showing the backbone that Jobs had. Apple will pay dearly for Cook's miscalculation; they're an easy target now. Unless Apple management gets a backbone, it will follow RIMM and Nokia to the grave.

post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

First of all, explaining a joke ruins it, second of off, ive been to hong kong & Japan, i know the difference, but a joke is for laughs, I thought you might get funny, you know because of your user name? :p

 

It would have been funny were it the Japanese suing. And BTW, Kustard King was an ice cream purveyor in the 1900's (is it too early to call them that?), so you missed again. :p
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

 

It would have been funny were it the Japanese suing. And BTW, Kustard King was an ice cream purveyor in the 1900's (is it too early to call them that?), so you missed again. :p

Im from Australia :) I have no idea what that is :p never heard of it & we don't have it as far as i know. funny must not be your field, remember what i said about explaining jokes :p thats cool, wont judge, lets stick with apple products & how we all love them & how we hate everyone else that likes stuff that we dont :p

On a side note, i have friends on facebook, massive android fans, popular opionion amunst those guys seems to be that apple is a massive patent troll & dont like competition :S

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sued over 'Snow Leopard' moniker in China for $80K