or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Want to Buy: huge monitor

Want to Buy: huge monitor

post #1 of 5

I'm looking around, but I can't find anything quite adequate.  What I want is a massive display, preferably at least 40" diagonal, with high resolution.  Sure, I could just get a couple of 27" displays, but I'd prefer a single, massive display.

If any of you out there know of such a device, I'd love to know.

Cat: the other white meat
post #2 of 5
A TV, then.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #3 of 5

Not high enough resolution -- 4x HD would be great, but I'll settle for less.  Thanks, though.  I have a Samsung 40" LED TV.  It's pretty great, but I want something more suited to the 50cm working distance typical of computer work.

I'm starting to consider different possibilities, now that I still can't find anything quite ideal.  Alternatively, a vertical 2-display stand might work, loaded with 27" displays.  I'd like to see one in action, though, or hear some testimonials about the ergonomics.  

post #4 of 5
If it was affordable, the following would probably be ideal:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/6/2687948/toshiba-55-inch-qfhd-4k-glasses-free-3dtv-united-states

The multi-display setup is probably the best option but the bezel on most displays will be annoying:

OS X seems to tear graphics horizontally in 90 degree rotation mode too so rotated displays won't be very good for working with. 4x 24-27" 1080p IPS displays with thin bezels in a grid would work but it's an ugly setup:

post #5 of 5

Hey Marvin: thanks for the advice.  I don't really like breaks in the display, as caused by multi-monitor rigs, which is why the optimal solution is just a single, huge monitor.  One of my friends has an 8 x 20" rig, and I don't really find that it improves ergonomics.  I'm thinking about maybe having an upper display used for storing ancillary apps & windows, and a lower display for main working, both 27" displays with thin bezels, if possible.  Maybe I can even un-package them to reduce bezel width.

Re the Toshiba display.... Let's just say it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Want to Buy: huge monitor