or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' predicted to use same display tech as Apple's iPhone 3GS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'iPad mini' predicted to use same display tech as Apple's iPhone 3GS

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
Apple may ensure availability of 7.85-inch displays for a new, smaller iPad by using the same display technology already found on the iPhone 3GS, according to one new prediction.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball believes that if Apple does produce a so-called "iPad mini" for sale this year, it will use the same display as the iPhone 3GS. That's because LCD screens are manufactured in large sheets and are then cut to the size needed, allowing the company to more easily produce 7.85-inch displays with a 1,024-by-768-pixel resolution.

"These are displays Apple knows they can produce efficiently and in enormous quantities," Gruber wrote on Wednesday. "All they have to do is cut them into bigger pieces."

The comments came in response to a pair of reports (1, 2) from Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal that indicated Apple is planning to launch a smaller iPad, with a screen sized between 7 and 8 inches, before the end of 2012. Bloomberg's report cited an anonymous source who indicated the smaller, cheaper iPad will not feature a high-resolution screen like the 9.7-inch Retina display found on Apple's third-generation iPad.

But by sticking to a resolution of 1,024 by 768, Apple would allow existing applications written for the first-generation iPad and iPad 2 to run natively on the device with no changes necessary. That's because the rumored 7.85-inch display would pack in the same number of pixels as Apple's first two iPad models with larger 9.7-inch screens.

At 7.85 inches diagonally, the height of an "iPad mini" would be roughly the same as the width of the current iPad.

iPad
Current iPad displaying approximate relative screen size of a rumored 7.85-inch "iPad mini."


The iPhone 3GS features a 3.5-inch display with a resolution of 480 by 320 pixels. That's the same resolution screen that was found in the preceding models, the iPhone 3G and the first-generation iPhone.

The iPhone 3GS screen technology has a pixel density of 163 per inch, while the new third-generation iPad squeezes 264 pixels-per-inch into its 9.7-inch screen.

Gruber first indicated in April that Apple was "noodling with" ideas and prototypes for a 7.85-inch iPad, though he cautioned at the time that he's unsure whether such a device would ever actually be released. His most recent comments were made in response to this week's mainstream media reports.
post #2 of 84
I hope people finally understand where the 7.85" screen size comes from.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #3 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


At 7.85 inches in diameter, the height of an "iPad mini" would be roughly the same as the width of the current iPad.
 

 

7.85 inches in diameter?  A circular iPad?  That would be neat !

post #4 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

 

7.85 inches in diameter?  A circular iPad?  That would be neat !

Yeah.  It's stuff like this that makes me feel sad for the human race.

 

Diagonal is not diameter.

post #5 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope people finally understand where the 7.85" screen size comes from.

I didn't know. I've never seen any remark on the significance of that exact dimension before. Using the same substrate as the 3GS makes sense, given that it will have to be a more budget panel to fit a budget price.

The suggestion that the mini's largest dimension is similar to half the iPad's smallest dimension is off by almost half an inch.
Edited by JeffDM - 7/4/12 at 1:58pm
post #6 of 84

Very interesting commentary on the manufacturing process. Was not aware of the "ease of size configuration" with that manufacturing process. Thanks for the info.

 

7.85 diagonal would make a great siri enabled Apple TV remote control device for the coffee table in the living room home theater................

 

I would get the smaller iPad mini to go with my current iPad3 which is awesome btw.....!

post #7 of 84
Quote:
But by sticking to a resolution of 1,024 by 768, Apple would allow existing applications written for the first-generation iPad and iPad 2 to run natively on the device with no changes necessary.

 

This is just ridiculous, "never change anything" is the new Apple motto, or what? I want 7" tablet. I prefer it to be iOS powered, but I want an excellent screen. So if some android tabled has superior screen to this iPad mini, I'm buying android.


Edited by xmiku - 7/4/12 at 1:43pm
post #8 of 84

By the same logic, couldn't they get a retina display iPad mini by cutting the same sized piece from an iPhone 4 panel?

post #9 of 84

Right, like we are going to see an iPad Mini that isn't Retina. Why haven't people caught on to the fact that Apple has embraced Retina screens as the way forward?


Edited by johndoe98 - 7/4/12 at 1:48pm
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

By the same logic, couldn't they get a retina display iPad mini by cutting the same sized piece from an iPhone 4 panel?

 

Bingo.

post #11 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Right, like we are going to see an iPad Mini that isn't Retina? Why haven't people caught on to the fact that Apple has embraced Retina screens as the way forward?

Probably because they've held off on it before.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Probably because they've held off on it before.

 

What recently designed/re-designed Apple product hasn't been Retina?

post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

What recently designed/re-designed Apple product hasn't been Retina?

The iPad 2 wasn't retina, despite everyone assuming it would be.

The next iMac doesn't look like it's going to be Retina either. The existence thereof is not proof thereof. Apple will do retina displays when they're good and ready.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #14 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Right, like we are going to see an iPad Mini that isn't Retina? Why haven't people caught on to the fact that Apple has embraced Retina screens as the way forward?

 

Retina is great and it's clearly here today at the high end.  But it's not written in stone, is it, that Apple can't offer a slightly more economical product with a bit less resolution?  I still use my iPhone 3GS and the screen still looks high quality to me, even though it's obviously a step down from Retina.  Mind you, I'm not saying for sure the iPad Mini will have this lower res screen, but it sounds plausible to me.  If Apple is serious about coming in at a competitive price with high margins, this lower res screen might indeed be part of the solution.

post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


The iPad 2 wasn't retina, despite everyone assuming it would be.
The next iMac doesn't look like it's going to be Retina either. The existence thereof is not proof thereof. Apple will do retina displays when they're good and ready.

 

The iPad 2 isn't the recent design of the iPad, the iPad 3 is. As for your speculation of the iMac... I think that'll be an interesting one to watch for. I think it could go either way. Many here, including you, were rather incredulous a RMBP would be possible, yet it appeared despite the lack of evidence it was possible to manufacture the screens for them, nor was there any evidence the GPUs could handle the needed resolutions. Thoseare certainly legitimate concerns. Be that as it may, for my part, I think the fact there was no bump to the iMacs when they bumped the Mac Pros and MBA and cMBPs suggests something is up. However, given the reports of lag on the RMBP (which isn't a problem on my particular unit), I could see Apple waiting for Haswell to release a Retina iMac.

post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

The iPad 2 isn't the recent design of the iPad, the iPad 3 is.

You've missed the point: it's post-retina.
Quote:
…nor was there any evidence the GPUs could handle the needed resolutions.

Did people doubt that? I didn't doubt that. I sort of doubt what's needed for a 27" resolution, but we've seen great things from ATI's Eyefinity. Though it seems they've moved back to nVidia.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

 

Retina is great and it's clearly here today at the high end.  But it's not written in stone, is it, that Apple can't offer a slightly more economical product with a bit less resolution?  I still use my iPhone 3GS and the screen still looks high quality to me, even though it's obviously a step down from Retina.  Mind you, I'm not saying for sure the iPad Mini will have this lower res screen, but it sounds plausible to me.  If Apple is serious about coming in at a competitive price with high margins, this lower res screen might indeed be part of the solution.

 

Well you are free to believe that if you like. Everything I've read and seen from Apple and their production philosophy indicates to me they are interested in designing the best possible products they can, and considerations of price and fashion trends are not primary amongst their concerns (the products have always sold themselves). Is a 7" iPad with Retina more desirable than a non-retina version? Yes. Can they produce one? Yes, easily so given the successful attempts with the iPhone and iPad. So if they are designing a new and improved iPod touch, or a new and trimmed down iPad, I can't see them not putting in a Retina screen unless they are driven by money and competition to produce those products. But as I said, those considerations don't seem to me, to move Apple. Not now, and not in the past. I don't see why suddenly they would change their ethos.


Edited by johndoe98 - 7/4/12 at 2:11pm
post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've missed the point: it's post-retina.
Did people doubt that? I didn't doubt that. I sort of doubt what's needed for a 27" resolution, but we've seen great things from ATI's Eyefinity. Though it seems they've moved back to nVidia.

 

What does post-retina mean? I honestly don't follow you. It seems to me, and what I understand from Apple's trend, that non-retina is inferior, full-stop.

 

And no, you never said anything, so far as I can recall, regarding the GPU. I certainly didn't mean to lump you into that category so if my post was misleading and unfair to you, sorry for the misdirection. I did see it said by others though since the offical Nvidia webpages, as well as the Intel spec sheets, indicated that 2880x1800 was higher than the max supported resolutions, at the time.

post #19 of 84

Apple could offer two 7" tablets, just like they have two 9.7" tablets at the moment. One is retina, and will cost more, and the other non-retina will be cheaper. 

post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple could offer two 7" tablets, just like they have two 9.7" tablets at the moment. One is retina, and will cost more, and the other non-retina will be cheaper. 

 

Anything is possible. But has Apple ever introduced one product in such a manner? (Adding 3G/GPS to an iPad doesn't strike me as analogous).

post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

 

... Apple and their production philosophy indicates to me they are interested in designing the best possible products they can, and considerations of price and fashion trends are not primary ... don't seem to me, to move Apple. Not now, and not in the past. I don't see why suddenly they would change their ethos.

 

Doesn't the Mac Mini contradict this argument?  Relatively cheap and relatively low-powered compare to the other Macs.

 

Another important consideration I can imagine is production and supply. The answer to "how many has Apple sold" has frequently been "all of them", meaning they sold everything they made and for significant periods of time, demand exceeded supply.  I can see Apple forecasting sales of a gazillion iPad Minis this xmas season, and it could be their other high-end products already consume the lion's share of the available Retina screens.  In other words, if Apple already expects to sell all the Retina screens the factories can produce this holiday season, why in the world would they introduce another Retina product this season?

post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

 

Anything is possible. But has Apple ever introduced one product in such a manner? (Adding 3G/GPS to an iPad doesn't strike me as analogous).

 

No, but retina is new territory for Apple, as they are obviously trying to incorporate it into all of their devices and computers eventually.

 

I'm just speculating of course, and my guess is no less valid than the source of this article, because that source has made some pretty outrageous guesses in the past, which turned out to be false. The article's headline should read "One blogger predicts that the 'ipad mini' will use same display tech as iPhone 3g".

post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

 

Doesn't the Mac Mini contradict this argument?  Relatively cheap and relatively low-powered compare to the other Macs.

 

Another important consideration I can imagine is production and supply. The answer to "how many has Apple sold" has frequently been "all of them", meaning they sold everything they made and for significant periods of time, demand exceeded supply.  I can see Apple forecasting sales of a gazillion iPad Minis this xmas season, and it could be their other high-end products already consume the lion's share of the available Retina screens.  In other words, if Apple already expects to sell all the Retina screens the factories can produce this holiday season, why in the world would they introduce another Retina product this season?

 

I don't think the Mac Mini was designed for the purpose of being cheap and competitive. I think it was designed for people who already own high-quality screens and who didn't need the power of a Mac Pro. An iMac is ill-suited to such a consumer, though the Mac Mini is perfect for that task, and has become an interesting option for a small-server environment (which is partially why the hit on the Xserve wasn't too bad).

post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

No, but retina is new territory for Apple, as they are obviously trying to incorporate it into all of their devices and computers eventually.

 

I'm just speculating of course, and my guess is no less valid than the source of this article, because that source has made some pretty outrageous guesses in the past, which turned out to be false. The article's headline should read "One blogger predicts that the 'ipad mini' will use same display tech as iPhone 3g".

 

Surely you can hold yourself to higher standards than these analysts :)

post #25 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

 

Surely you can hold yourself to higher standards than these analysts :)

Technically, the source of this article is just some blogger and not an analyst, but you're right that I certainly hold myself to higher standards than most of the so-called analysts. It's amazing that they even get paid any money for their wildly inaccurate predictions and guesses.

post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope people finally understand where the 7.85" screen size comes from.


I don't. Although Gruber is usually reliable, he might be wrong this time.

 

If you do the math, using the same "sheets" from iPhone 3GS (480 x 360, 3.5") will give you a 7.47" screen that has a resolution of 1024 x 768. I don't see 7.85" coming out of that analysis. Am I wrong? Or is Gruber wrong?


Edited by ankleskater - 7/4/12 at 2:46pm
post #27 of 84

I just hope they don't cheap out and use the old A5 from the iPad 2. It's long past it's sell by date now, and the Nexus 7 has a blazingly quick GPU.

post #28 of 84

This is not just going to be a smaller iPad or larger iPod Touch device, IMO. Mark my words, there will be some other killer app for this device, something that'll make it must-have. Whether it's gaming, a remote control device, etc., Apple will give good reason why we need this new toy.

 

And I use the word toy as a serious term of endearment.

 

 

Once it's released I think practically every member of this forum, aside from the trolls, will be posting the "Shut up and take my money" cartoon.

 

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #29 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I just hope they don't cheap out and use the old A5 from the iPad 2. It's long past it's sell by date now, and the Nexus 7 has a blazingly quick GPU.

Android needs more resources to run, because of the poor OS, and even then it's still not smooth enough for anybody who has functioning eyes.

post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Once it's released I think practically every member of this forum, aside from the trolls, will be posting the "Shut up and take my money" cartoon.

 

I think I've heard rumors of that App actually. It's called BrainWash Me. You really think people will either replace their iPad 3s or supplement them with a second iPad?

post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

 

What recently designed/re-designed Apple product hasn't been Retina?

Umm...the Mac Book Air???

post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

 

I don't think the Mac Mini was designed for the purpose of being cheap 

 

Here's what Wikipedia says about the Mac Mini:  

 

 

On January 10, 2005, the Mac Mini was announced alongside the iPod shuffle at the Macworld Conference & Expo and was described by Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the time as the "most affordable Mac ever".[5]

The Mac Mini is an entry-level computer intended for budget-minded customers.

post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

 

I think I've heard rumors of that App actually. It's called BrainWash Me. You really think people will either replace their iPad 3s or supplement them with a second iPad?

I don't think that many would replace their iPad 3, as that is the best iPad experience that you can get, and the smaller size is a downgrade, but I could see a few people getting the smaller iPad in addition to their larger iPad, especially those people who like their iPads a lot. And then there are those people who do not have any iPads at all, and they'll pick up the smaller version, because of the cheaper price.

post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

 

Here's what Wikipedia says about the Mac Mini:  

 

 

On January 10, 2005, the Mac Mini was announced alongside the iPod shuffle at the Macworld Conference & Expo and was described by Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the time as the "most affordable Mac ever".[5]

The Mac Mini is an entry-level computer intended for budget-minded customers.

 

I stand corrected.

post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Umm...the Mac Book Air???

 

It was re-designed??

post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

What does post-retina mean? I honestly don't follow you.

You claim that every single device going forward will be retina. That's obviously false, as Apple has released devices since the first retina display that weren't retina. If non-retina is inferior, then the iMac, MacBook Air, 13" and 15" MacBook Pro, and Thunderbolt Display are inferior.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that many would replace their iPad 3, as that is the best iPad experience that you can get, and the smaller size is a downgrade, but I could see a few people getting the smaller iPad in addition to their larger iPad, especially those people who like their iPads a lot. And then there are those people who do not have any iPads at all, and they'll pick up the smaller version, because of the cheaper price.

 

I guess it might be useful to have a second iPad while the primary one is recharging...

post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Yeah.  It's stuff like this that makes me feel sad for the human race.

 

Diagonal is not diameter.

Perhaps it is you who is ignorant.

Have you experienced the power of the pyramid?

 

http://www.officetally.com/the-pyramid-tablet

 

;-)

post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Umm...the Mac Book Air???

That was my first thought, too.

 

I don't see a retina display for the 7" ipad at intro or the new iMac just yet. But certainly in the future. 

post #40 of 84

Somebody said it before me, women are going to "dig" on the iPad 7" bc it fits in their purses!

 

And their husbands/boyfriends/friends/fathers/brothers are going to be buying iPad 7's for them in droves because of the lower price!

 

You heard it here first...errrr, I mean second! :)

 

 

P.S. Is it just me, or are tasks done on the iPad just more fun than on a Mac?

 

P.S.S. Imagine sitting on your couch with a 15" iPad? No other computer in your home....other than a a 7" iPad for commuting/traveling. An iP5 in in your pocket and a 60" AppleTV on your wall. An iPad 7 as your car dashboard. How delicious would that be?

 

It's the future! :)

 

Best


Edited by christopher126 - 7/4/12 at 3:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 'iPad mini' predicted to use same display tech as Apple's iPhone 3GS
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' predicted to use same display tech as Apple's iPhone 3GS