or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad

post #1 of 149
Thread Starter 
If Apple releases a smaller iPad model with a 7.85-inch display, the less expensive device could eventually outsell the current 9.7-inch model, according to one analyst.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets doesn't think a so-called "iPad mini" would cannibalize a significant number of sales of the existing iPad. At worst, he sees the smaller, cheaper iPad affecting 20 percent of sales of the current model, a cannibalization number he called "relatively minor."

But he said the market opportunity for a smaller iPad could eventually be larger than the current model. Given the growth trends in developing countries like China, he sees an "iPad mini" priced between $250 and $300 having a big impact on the market in the coming years.

In addition, he also feels a smaller iPad would find success in the education market, as a more portable device could prove more suitable for younger children, and schools would appreciate the lower price point. He also thinks that some current iPad owners in developed countries might buy a second, smaller model for convenience.

"We would not be surprised if certain customers end up owning both a regular-sized iPad and an 'iPad Mini,' swapping between the two devices for different occasions," White wrote in a note to investors on Thursday. "With the introduction of iCloud, the content on the two iPads can be automatically duplicated and thus easier to swap between Apple devices."

iPad


Even if a smaller iPad were priced as high as $300, White doesn't think Apple would have a problem luring customers away from less expensive $199 7-inch tablets that are already on the market. He assumes that Apple's 7.85-inch iPad would be of considerably higher quality than the competition.

White expects that Apple will unveil its smaller iPad model this fall, as soon as September, alongside the company's next-generation iPhone. This week, both Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal issued reports (1, 2) claiming that Apple plans to launch a smaller iPad with a screen size between 7 and 8 inches before the end of the year.
post #2 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Apple releases a smaller iPad model with a 7.85-inch display, the less expensive device could eventually outsell the current 9.7-inch model, according to one analyst.

 

 

'Nuff said.

post #3 of 149
"'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad"

Ya think?!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 149
Apple started, created, and dominate the tablet category..might as well completely own the category. Leave nothing uncovered.
post #5 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post


'Nuff said.

Yep, especially this one who rarely shows any balls but just parrots what others put out there without any real insight into whether the notion is logical -- based on Apple history, statements and the market.

Apple has publicly said no to a smaller iPad, they have pushed the 10 inch model into schools, etc. Apple has a history of not doing things based on 'everyone else is doing it' or 'folks on the blogs/sites want it'. No 7 inch tablet to date has put a dent in the iPad sales (drops in marketshare percent are cause the total went up).

These are the things an analyst should be noting him/herself. Not ignoring them and then looking like an idiot when there is no new iPad in the Fall. That real tv turns out to be a bigger computer display etc

But White being White, he'll find out in a couple of months hw wrong he was and then spread talk that Apple was going to do it but there was an issue with this or that and was forced to change plans, blah blah

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #6 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

 

'Nuff said.


How does one get such a job? It's as good a job as baseball - hit less than 30% of the time and still get paid 6-7 figures.

post #7 of 149

Why does nobody mention the iPod Touch in these articles?  Wouldn't it be more likely that Apple releases a slightly larger iPod touch to replace the existing one? Much like the rumored larger iPhone. The Touch has become a nice gaming platform that could benefit form the larger screen realestate.  No way does Apple release an entirelly new tablet size in addition to the iPad and Touch.

post #8 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad"
Ya think?!

Or it will crash and burn like all the rest because Steve was right

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Apple started, created, and dominate the tablet category..might as well completely own the category. Leave nothing uncovered.

Apple already owns the market with the current 'big' iPad. It has the best sales, best marketshare and mindshare of the current tablet hardware. Why split their efforts when they are already winning

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #10 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclntgig View Post

Why does nobody mention the iPod Touch in these articles?  Wouldn't it be more likely that Apple releases a slightly larger iPod touch to replace the existing one?

Well that's too logical so of course it would never happen. Just like that bigger screen, thinner iPhone could be a Touch revamp and Apple has to be making a real tv

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #11 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


How does one get such a job? It's as good a job as baseball - hit less than 30% of the time and still get paid 6-7 figures.


Pro: you don't need to train

Con: you don't get sexy girls to dance for you. Or maybe you do?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #12 of 149

The reason I want iPad Mini is that I don't like carrying the expensive retina-iPad everywhere.  Sometimes I prefer "a disposable" device, something that can get stolen and break and it doesn't feel like end of the world.  In fact I've got a Nexus 7 in order for that purpose now..

 

I had the 1st gen Macbook Air which was relatively expensive at the time.  It got a ding at the airport, it no longer closed properly and I had it fixed -- needed a new LCD panel as the cover wasn't available separately.  For further travels I got a cheap Acer netbook with OS X installed on it.  It's still working so it has paid for itself quite well -- and I've got a new Macbook Air, too..

post #13 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Or it will crash and burn like all the rest because Steve was right

1) Steve never said that a different size tablet wouldn't work. He said they found the 9.7" 4:3 to be around the ideal size. His comment about sandpaper on the fingers is about a one-size-fits-all UI. A UI half the size would need an idealized UI just as the iPhone has an idealized UI compared to the iPad.

2) Even if they sold one unit to someone who otherwise wouldn't have bought an iPad they have increased their market. It's obvious that a device half the price of the current iPad would increase user interest but so would giving them away or paying people to take them which is the reason for my glib comment.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojala View Post

The reason I want iPad Mini is that I don't like carrying the expensive retina-iPad everywhere.  Sometimes I prefer "a disposable" device, something that can get stolen and break and it doesn't feel like end of the world.  In fact I've got a Nexus 7 in order for that purpose now..

 

I had the 1st gen Macbook Air which was relatively expensive at the time.  It got a ding at the airport, it no longer closed properly and I had it fixed -- needed a new LCD panel as the cover wasn't available separately.  For further travels I got a cheap Acer netbook with OS X installed on it.  It's still working so it has paid for itself quite well -- and I've got a new Macbook Air, too..

 

I don't consider a $300 device (or even $200) as being disposable. The reason I want a smaller iOS tablet is for size alone. It would just be easier to carry it with me. When I travel between cities I would much rather carry a smaller device in my backpack... but not iPhone small.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #15 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Steve never said that a different size tablet wouldn't work. He said they found the 9.7" 4:3 to be around the ideal size. His comment about sandpaper on the fingers is about a one-size-fits-all UI. A UI half the size would need an idealized UI just as the iPhone has an idealized UI compared to the iPad.
2) Even if they sold one unit to someone who otherwise wouldn't have bought an iPad they have increased their market. It's obvious that a device half the price of the current iPad would increase user interest but so would giving them away or paying people to take them which is the reason for my glib comment.

 

My Wife will always want a larger iPad but I won't buy one for myself until there is a smaller one available. If I bought a new 7.85" iPad tomorrow we would still upgrade my Wife's v.1 next year. So market share would definitely increase if people followed our lead.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #16 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't consider a $300 device (or even $200) as being disposable. The reason I want a smaller iOS tablet is for size alone. It would just be easier to carry it with me. When I travel between cities I would much rather carry a smaller device in my backpack... but not iPhone small.

I want Apple to go down the Asus PadFone route. I want my 27" Apple Display to contain a MBP that contains a MBA that contains a 10" iPad that contains an 8" iPad that contains an iPhone that contains an iPod Mini that contains an iPod Shuffle. Anything less and Apple is just trying to screw us over.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I want Apple to go down the Asus PadFone route. I want my 27" Apple Display to contain a MBP that contains a MBA that contains a 10" iPad that contains an 8" iPad that contains an iPhone that contains an iPod Mini that contains an iPod Shuffle. Anything less and Apple is just trying to screw us over.

 

It would have to include the desktop or it wouldn't interest me.

 

[ on edit - lol - you changed it as I was writing the above comment! ]

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #18 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My Wife will always want a larger iPad but I won't buy one for myself until there is a smaller one available. If I bought a new 7.85" iPad tomorrow we would still upgrade my Wife's v.1 next year. So market share would definitely increase if people followed our lead.

Even if it was 8GB and a TN panel? (Note that I think the 8GB is possible but not the TN panel, but including it for reasons mentioned in a previous thread)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 149
Count me in as a person who owns an iPad 2 and would buy one of these tomorrow at either $200-300. I might even buy two- one for the wife- but likely just one

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #20 of 149

I don't believe it likely.

 

There's no reason for Apple to worry about going cheap. Not Apple's style.

 

No one has shown 7" tablet to be a useful size. Kindle Fire only did well because its dirt cheap, and it flamed out. Nexus is a non-starter, no content, no distribution channel, no customer support, no reason to own.

 

Apple hates having lots of products and especially hates lots of development platforms. Introducing another platform would be a major effort for developers to support.

 

If Apple did release a 7" tablet, it would give legitimacy to the Fire and Nexus. It would encourage developers to write good apps for this size screen. Neither of those are in Apple's best interests. Best to ignore that size.

 

If anything, I think Apple should think about a larger iPad. Allow more content creation, more powerful apps. Bigger touch screen.

post #21 of 149
I just don't see it. It's not much larger than some phones and it's not much smaller than the current iPad. For me at least it doesn't bring anything to the table. Obviously my opinion means nothing because a lot of people sure want this size. I wish they would make a larger iPad.
post #22 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Even if it was 8GB and a TN panel? (Note that I think the 8GB is possible but not the TN panel, but including it for reasons mentioned in a previous thread)

 

I probably wouldn't be willing to part with $300 - $350 for an 8GB/TN, but, yes, at the right price I would still buy it [if that is all that Apple provided in a smaller device].


Edited by island hermit - 7/5/12 at 7:38am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #23 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep, especially this one who rarely shows any balls but just parrots what others put out there without any real insight into whether the notion is logical -- based on Apple history, statements and the market.
Apple has publicly said no to a smaller iPad, they have pushed the 10 inch model into schools, etc. Apple has a history of not doing things based on 'everyone else is doing it' or 'folks on the blogs/sites want it'. No 7 inch tablet to date has put a dent in the iPad sales (drops in marketshare percent are cause the total went up).
These are the things an analyst should be noting him/herself. Not ignoring them and then looking like an idiot when there is no new iPad in the Fall. That real tv turns out to be a bigger computer display etc
But White being White, he'll find out in a couple of months hw wrong he was and then spread talk that Apple was going to do it but there was an issue with this or that and was forced to change plans, blah blah

If you know your Apple history, you should also know that Apple has a history of panning a market publicly, right up until they entered it.
post #24 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep, especially this one who rarely shows any balls but just parrots what others put out there without any real insight into whether the notion is logical -- based on Apple history, statements and the market.
Apple has publicly said no to a smaller iPad, they have pushed the 10 inch model into schools, etc. Apple has a history of not doing things based on 'everyone else is doing it' or 'folks on the blogs/sites want it'. No 7 inch tablet to date has put a dent in the iPad sales (drops in marketshare percent are cause the total went up).
These are the things an analyst should be noting him/herself. Not ignoring them and then looking like an idiot when there is no new iPad in the Fall. That real tv turns out to be a bigger computer display etc
But White being White, he'll find out in a couple of months hw wrong he was and then spread talk that Apple was going to do it but there was an issue with this or that and was forced to change plans, blah blah

Apple says no publicly to a lot of things. That doesn't mean they aren't working on it. Times change.
.
  • The 3GS will be out of production so the displays will be available
  • They have a lot more experience with tablets now
  • The 10" iPad has moved to a higher resolution leaving a space at 1024x768 that works with existing Apps


It may not be a case of doing what others are doing or blog sites are saying. It may be what large institutional customers are saying. Even if they tossed the margin Apple could never sell last years iPad for under $350. It may be schools want something for less than that.

I am still dubious about all of these rumors. However, I don't see any reason not to do it. It is not a response to competitors. It has probably been in development longer than the Fire or Nexus 7, if they see a use case for a 7" tablets, they will make one. In some of the other threads, people had said it could be desktops. I would be concerned about being able to read the page, but it might work,
post #25 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

I don't believe it likely.

 

There's no reason for Apple to worry about going cheap. Not Apple's style.

 

No one has shown 7" tablet to be a useful size. Kindle Fire only did well because its dirt cheap, and it flamed out. Nexus is a non-starter, no content, no distribution channel, no customer support, no reason to own.

 

Apple hates having lots of products and especially hates lots of development platforms. Introducing another platform would be a major effort for developers to support.

 

If Apple did release a 7" tablet, it would give legitimacy to the Fire and Nexus. It would encourage developers to write good apps for this size screen. Neither of those are in Apple's best interests. Best to ignore that size.

 

If anything, I think Apple should think about a larger iPad. Allow more content creation, more powerful apps. Bigger touch screen.

 

No one has really shown that a 10" tablet is a useful size... other than Apple.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #26 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We would not be surprised if certain customers end up owning both a regular-sized iPad and an 'iPad Mini,' swapping between the two devices for different occasions."
 

 

So you're saying that out of tens of millions of iPad owners, some might end up owning a mini as well? Way to go out on a limb.

post #27 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

 

So you're saying that out of tens of millions of iPad owners, some might end up owning a mini as well? Way to go out on a limb.

 

It's also been shown that some people who own a desktop computer might end up owning a laptop.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #28 of 149
I'm pretty sure Jony Ive prototyped many different sizes, and the 7" version was sidelined by Steve Jobs for not being big enough.
He said as much himself.
So far the market has proved him correct, 7" tablet sales have been poor.

Still if the rumors push the share price up . . .

It will definately have a retina display, dual quad gpu, and a matte screen ( for serious work ) etc . . .
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
post #29 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Apple already owns the market with the current 'big' iPad. It has the best sales, best marketshare and mindshare of the current tablet hardware. Why split their efforts when they are already winning

Apple stated early during the iPhone days (I can't remember which July financials discussion, but it was before verizon), that they would fight hard to keep the 'pricing umbrella' low, to keep pretenders from slipping equal capability devices in below Apple's std retail price.  Tim Cook may be a pleasant fellow, but I think his pride is on the line every time someone build something that is 'almost' like an iDevice, at a lower price.   His supply chain is ruthlessly efficient, and he will drive engineering to build devices that compete whereever the market appears to evolve.

 

Hence... Apple split efforts on the iPhone  (CDMA, kept the 3GS)... Split it on the iPad (kept the iPad1), and on the iPods (iPod touch, nano and shuffle, and Mini's slipped in from time to time).

 

The new beachhead is 7" form factor.  If Apple can make the external frame within a .25" of the Nexus 7, and give an extra inch diagonal, and the entire Apple ecosystem with it, and price it at the same level...

 

Apple first did this with the Zune, where they lowered the price of the iPod just before the Zune was announced, effectively making the Zune announcment a 'meh...' event.

post #30 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


Apple says no publicly to a lot of things. That doesn't mean they aren't working on it. Times change.
.
  • The 3GS will be out of production so the displays will be available
  • They have a lot more experience with tablets now
  • The 10" iPad has moved to a higher resolution leaving a space at 1024x768 that works with existing Apps
It may not be a case of doing what others are doing or blog sites are saying. It may be what large institutional customers are saying. Even if they tossed the margin Apple could never sell last years iPad for under $350. It may be schools want something for less than that.
I am still dubious about all of these rumors. However, I don't see any reason not to do it. It is not a response to competitors. It has probably been in development longer than the Fire or Nexus 7, if they see a use case for a 7" tablets, they will make one. In some of the other threads, people had said it could be desktops. I would be concerned about being able to read the page, but it might work,

I agree with the bullets, 

 

here are a few more

  • 8" is not 7"
  • 8" diag works out to be ~5*8, which is roughly the size of a steno pad. 
  • Apple always fights to keeps it's pricing umbrella low for like capabilities.
  • I tend to think the 4 glass (they've got that process down as well) will be used not the 3GS, and it will be 2X scale of the iPod Touch, allowing for 'app doubling' and also being RD in the range of an iPad (arms length).
  • They will be closing down the iPad 1 line in 8 months (supported through iOS 6.x, likely not in iOS 7), which drives 1024x768 into obsolete mode.  
post #31 of 149
Quote:
'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad

Total crap. Period.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #32 of 149
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

It will definately have a retina display, dual quad gpu, and a matte screen ( for serious work ) etc . . .


Really?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I agree with the bullets, 

here are a few more
  • 8" is not 7"
  • 8" diag works out to be ~5*8, which is roughly the size of a steno pad. 
  • Apple always fights to keeps it's pricing umbrella low for like capabilities.
  • I tend to think the 4 glass (they've got that process down as well) will be used not the 3GS, and it will be 2X scale of the iPod Touch, allowing for 'app doubling' and also being RD in the range of an iPad (arms length).
  • They will be closing down the iPad 1 line in 8 months (supported through iOS 6.x, likely not in iOS 7), which drives 1024x768 into obsolete mode.  

You lost me on your 1024x768 comments. How does a 9.7" 1024x768 display affect the production of a 7.85" 1024x768 display?
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/5/12 at 11:15am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 149

What's more likely is that Apple increases the size of the iPhone and iPod as rumor has it and leaves the iPad alone.  It would somewhat bridge the gap between the small 3.5" of the current iPhone/iPods and the 9.7" iPad.  I think making a 7-8" iPad would be a mistake as it would eat into the iPad sales and at the same time, make the device less usable than the 9.7".  A double whammy.

 

As Steve and the team have always said, it's about knowing what to leave out that's the most important aspect of Apple's successful strategy.  Even though a smaller iPad may initially seem to make sense, it's really a hinderance in the long run.

post #35 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

The reason I want a smaller iOS tablet is for size alone. It would just be easier to carry it with me. When I travel between cities I would much rather carry a smaller device in my backpack... but not iPhone small.

When I travel I take my MBP and my iPad. A smaller iPad would suit my casual browsing and entertainment needs and would probably weigh around a pound less. Not that a pound is that much since I'm usually carrying around 25 lbs anyway with my computer case and a backpack. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #36 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We would not be surprised if certain customers end up owning both a regular-sized iPad and an 'iPad Mini,' swapping between the two devices for different occasions," White wrote in a note to investors on Thursday. 

 

That's what I wrote yesterday! It wouldn't surprise me if "analysts" read this forum and get ideas from here. 

post #37 of 149

Gosh, where were you people over the last year or so?  I've been saying the same thing about the pointlessness of a 7.85" iPad for months but have continuously been dogged-on in these forums for thinking so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclntgig View Post

Why does nobody mention the iPod Touch in these articles?  Wouldn't it be more likely that Apple releases a slightly larger iPod touch to replace the existing one? Much like the rumored larger iPhone. The Touch has become a nice gaming platform that could benefit form the larger screen realestate.  No way does Apple release an entirelly new tablet size in addition to the iPad and Touch.

I have mentioned this on many occasion in the last month.  Go back to any of the "iPad Mini" articles and you'll see my posts (with exception of the last two this week).  If i were so inclined I'd link to those posts.  I've said a 5"-6" 2:3 or 16:9 screen would be a great size for the iPod Touch...drop the current model and there you have it, 3 close-to ideal sizes.  iPhone=perfect size for on-the-go communications, iPod 6"=perfect for gaming, reading and very light productivity, 9.7" iPad (or perhaps a slightly larger version...like 11"-13") perfect for portable tablet-style productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Or it will crash and burn like all the rest because Steve was right

Although I agree with the comment that Steve was really referring to the UI and not the size, since obviously iOS works on a 3.5" display...saying it would crash and burn on a 7.85" display is missing the point of SJ's comment.  However, I do agree that 7.85" is just too close to the 9.7" display and that would be pointless.  As with other comments about creating a new format UI for such a size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

I don't consider a $300 device (or even $200) as being disposable. The reason I want a smaller iOS tablet is for size alone. It would just be easier to carry it with me. When I travel between cities I would much rather carry a smaller device in my backpack... but not iPhone small.

I don't consider it either...again, where the heck were all you guys to back my statements up months ago.  $50-$100 might be disposable to most.  But, I must say that your argument for wanting a smaller iPad, when you already state you carry a backpack while traveling, for that reason makes no sense.  If you carry a backpack, the current iPad works just fine, if not better than fine.

 

For me, I use the iPad really more as a device to use while traveling and couch-potato-ing, but never outside the confines of a dwelling; be it a hotel, apartment plane ride or otherwise.  I rarely take it out with me when i'm commuting or at the office.  Too big to carry on the train, and I have the iPhone so what's the point?  At the office I have a computer there...again what's the point?  On a plane: yes.  at the hotel: yes, At a friend/family member's house: possibly but if I have a phone, that's more potable.  It's all about simplifying your life.  Not adding to it by carrying a laptop, phone, iPad AND??? iPad mini?  that's just too much to deal with and very anti-SJ's-logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

I don't believe it likely.

 

There's no reason for Apple to worry about going cheap. Not Apple's style.

 

No one has shown 7" tablet to be a useful size. Kindle Fire only did well because its dirt cheap, and it flamed out. Nexus is a non-starter, no content, no distribution channel, no customer support, no reason to own.

 

Apple hates having lots of products and especially hates lots of development platforms. Introducing another platform would be a major effort for developers to support.

 

If Apple did release a 7" tablet, it would give legitimacy to the Fire and Nexus. It would encourage developers to write good apps for this size screen. Neither of those are in Apple's best interests. Best to ignore that size.

 

If anything, I think Apple should think about a larger iPad. Allow more content creation, more powerful apps. Bigger touch screen.

Yes!!!  Agreed on all points, a 11"-13" next-gen iPad seems like a much better idea, THEN and only then would a 7.85" tablet START to make sense.  Frankly I always thought the 9.7" iPad was too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

I just don't see it. It's not much larger than some phones and it's not much smaller than the current iPad. For me at least it doesn't bring anything to the table. Obviously my opinion means nothing because a lot of people sure want this size. I wish they would make a larger iPad.

I've said this before, but i'll repeat.  I really don't believe people who say the 9.7" ipad is too big and they really want a smaller one because of portability.  What they all really mean IMO (perhaps subconsciously) is that they want a CHEAPER iPad.  Of my observations on these forums and many other sources, the real issue people have for not buying the current iPad is PRICE.  So don't fool yourselves.  If the current model was $299, I would bet money, that at least 50% of the complaints of it being too big would drop instantly.  Plus the market share would significantly increase...but that goes without saying.

 

However I've also said that cannibalization is a huge issue.  Look what happened to the iPod Classic?  As soon as the Mini, Shuffle and subsequently the Nano were released, the Classic became the 3rd choice for about 80%-90% of consumers.  I have absolutely no doubt this would happen with an iPad Mini or iPod (larger) Touch.  If Apple did something like what I argue (by dropping the current touch for a larger format one) and used the same price structure as the current iPod Touch...the iPad would instantly become a "niche market" device.


Edited by antkm1 - 7/5/12 at 8:51am
post #38 of 149

people keep on going on about a cheaper ipad... I don't care if its the same price... a iPad just like the current one scaled down into a 7 inch size...I'd buy that for sure since the current one is too big.

post #39 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

However, I do agree that 7.85" is just too close to the 9.7" display and that would be pointless.  

 

I would disagree with that.  A difference of almost 2 inches is quite significant in a tablet sized device, and there is no doubt that the smaller version would be lighter and more portable. I'm quite happy with my 9.7" iPads, so I'm not one of the people who's looking for a smaller iPad, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple releases an iPad mini.

post #40 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad
Total crap. Period.

No so sure about that. The iPad as it is today is on the large side for a lot of tablety activities. What Steve said way back has to be seen in the context of there being no tablet market at all, then. The market has changed and the reduced weight and added portability of a smaller device will be a real selling point. I don't think the fact that there have been many other smaller devices is particularly relevant. I use my iPhone more than my iPad. I find it too small, but I find the iPad enormous. For a lot of people who use their tablet for email, browsing, reading and gaming, a 7 - 8" tablet might actually be preferable. For schools, it my turn out to be a better option. For kids with iPods who never carry them in their pockets it will be a better option (next step up). For commuters, frequent travellers who like to travel light, it may be the perfect device. A lower price also helps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad