or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Running Mac OS X on a RAID

Running Mac OS X on a RAID

post #1 of 3

I have a iMac 3.4 GHZ with 16 GB of memory, SSD boot drive and 2TB internal. I want to attach a RAID to it (OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2, eSATA, FireWire 800+USB).

Is it possible to install Mac OS X on a RAID? If so, what Mac OS X version would work best (Snow Leopard? Lion?) and what RAID level would be appropriate (I am debating between level 5 or 10).

I figure if my iMac went down I can plug and play and boot up with the RAID on another computer.

post #2 of 3
It is possible to install OS X on a RAID volume. I would recommend level 5 as a good mix of redundancy and performance. I think though that you may get better performance off of the internal SSD than the OWC RAID.
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
post #3 of 3

Thanks for responding.

Is it one of those cases where Mac OS X can be installed but not recommended? I assume if one drive goes down, the OS should still function, no?

I have been debating between RAID 5 and 10. The only two obvious drawbacks is the write speed and mounted volume size. I understanding that with a RAID 5, the writes are much slower compared to a RAID 10. Is that really significant or would it be small enough that I wouldn't notice?

And using 4 x 2TB in a RAID 10 would give me 4TB. What would the size storage be for a RAID 5 be?

If I was planning on using it to edit Adobe Premiere files, which RAID would be better?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Running Mac OS X on a RAID