or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

post #1 of 225
The trend of making smartphone displays even bigger could continue this fall, as a new rumor claims Samsung is working on a Galaxy Note II that will feature a massive 5.5-inch display outsizing its predecessor.

The Samsung Galaxy Note II is expected to unveiled in August at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Germany, according to Korean website MK Business News via The Verge). The new big-screen handset is rumored to feature a quad-core processor and a 12-megapixel camera.

If the second-generation Note does have a 5.5-inch display, it would be even bigger than the large 5.3-inch screen found on the first Note. Released earlier this year, the stylus-driven Note turned out to be a bigger-than-expected success for Samsung.

The details come as Apple is also rumored to be considering an increase in the screen size of its iPhone with a new sixth-generation model expected to debut this fall. However, Apple isn't expected to increase the size of the iPhone display to near the massive, near-tablet-size display of the Galaxy Note.

Reports have suggested that Apple's next iPhone will feature a screen size of around 4 inches, growing from the 3.5-inch-diagonal display that has been found on all iPhone models to date. Parts alleged to be from Apple's next iPhone have shown a taller display with about the same width as previous iPhones.

Galaxy Note
Comparison of Samsung Galaxy Note to Apple iPhone 4S, via PC World Australia.

Samsung's new flagship Android smartphone, the Galaxy S III, also features a relatively large screen, though it doesn't cross the 5-inch threshold like the Galaxy Note. It sports a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen powered by a 1.4 gigahertz processor and one gigabyte of RAM.

The first Galaxy Note was promoted earlier this year with a Super Bowl ad that took direct aim at iPhone users. It portrayed Apple customers who were happily converting to Samsung's big-screen handset.
post #2 of 225

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

post #3 of 225

i'm sorry, bigger is not always better. This beast looks to be the size of the newton!

post #4 of 225

I want one, only without the phone and the high price!

post #5 of 225

why not. they need something in between the 5" galaxy note and the 7" galaxy tab.

post #6 of 225

HAHA wholly shait! It reminds of of when insecure, tiny men buy Hummers. LOL! Samsung doesn't know what else to do, copied everything they could out of Apple.

Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #7 of 225
I can see it now....

Coming early 2014 the Galaxy Note Extreme, 14 inch screen 2560x1440, 8 core 2ghz cpu, 2 smart pen thingys, triple band 802.11ac, passive glasses free 3D, dual sim card.....

Seriously.., things are getting a little crazy with samsung..
post #8 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

why not. they need something in between the 5" galaxy note and the 7" galaxy tab.

Been thinking the same for a while now. Someone needs to just split the difference and just have a 6" tabfone that requires handwriting to work. Someone will call it innovation. Others will call it Newton 3.0.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 225

They'll just keep making them bigger until people stop buying them.

So if they're making it bigger, people must be buying it.

I saw one on the T and it just cracked us up!

So weird...

post #10 of 225
That's a big ass phone.. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung puts phone capabilities on their Galaxy Tabs.
post #11 of 225

These big screen sizes are so impractical as a phone. The first Note is too big, and now they are making it bigger? Pretty ridiculous. Who wants to carry one of these things around in their pocket? Definitely not me. I was given the Note from my employer for my work phone. After using it for about a few weeks, I gave it back. Besides being too big and a crappy OS, the battery life was awful. 

post #12 of 225
At least they're not copying Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #13 of 225

Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

post #14 of 225

I can see this size phone being useful for large people (think NBA basketball players, NFL football players, World's Strongest Man competitors). Seems to be too big for "normal" humans, imho. Certainly would be for me.

They certainly seem to have found a niche in the market to serve with this type of larger device.

post #15 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

This is getting ridiculous. I had the Note in my hand once... just once. It felt like the thing was handling mé instead of the other way around. How anyone can see that as a phone is out of this world. And an even bigger Note 2? Sign me up for being part of the group standing on the sidelines, laughing their butts off whenever we see somone lugging that thing around. 

... or wait. Maybe I can just start using my iPad as my primary phone! That would be an amazing idea! ;)

Anyone who thinks these things look cool should just watch Wall Street 2, where the prison returns Gordon Gecko's 80's cell phone upon release. And it looks small compared these these Note jokes.

post #16 of 225

SamsungGalaxyNoteII.jpg

post #17 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

*cut to three years from now*

Why not? They need something in between the 5.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999" Galaxy Note and the 5.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999" Galaxy Tab.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #18 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Granted 3.5 inches is too small anymore, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 5.

The perfect size for a smartphone is up to 4 inches. If you can’t operate it with one hand it’s not a phone anymore, it’s just some device with phone capabilities.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #19 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

They'll just keep making them bigger until people stop buying them.

So if they're making it bigger, people must be buying it.

I saw one on the T and it just cracked us up!

So weird...

You're right. Considering the first one was 5.3in and sold millions worldwide over the last year (much to everyone's surprise including mine) what's another .2in I guess? Can't blame them for trying. I'm assuming this device is a fad that will run it's course. Unless the actual size of the device is the same somehow.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #20 of 225

If Samsung does create such a device, I imagine the target audience is fairly small.

There's certain professionals I can think of who could benefit from a pocketable ultra-portable mini-tablet. Adding a smart-stylus for mark-ups such as detailing a picture, highlighting specific notes or clipping a pertinent passage from a web image or page could be a helpful touch for tradesmen, salespeople and the like. That it could also be used as a phone if needed is just a side benefit. I doubt the idea that it might have some success developed in a vacuum. More likely it's prompted by feedback from users of the original Note.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #21 of 225

Why do I foresee a Saturday Night Live skit coming soon?  

This sorta hearkens back to the 1980s when folks carried boom boxes around on their shoulders.  

20" iMac, 17" MBP, 3G iPad
20" iMac, 17" MBP, 3G iPad
post #22 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

i'm sorry, bigger is not always better. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

They'll just keep making them bigger until people stop buying them. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

These big screen sizes are so impractical as a phone. ...

I'm not so sure the whole "too big to be a phone" is really a valid argument.  I see a lot of people using iPhones and it seems a great deal of them don't hold it or talk into it in the same way as a typical or "regular" phone.  It's not just Android phones because they are big.  A lot of folks hold the iPhone in their hand like a small pizza and whisper into the microphone hole or the attached microphone on the speaker cable.  A lot of folks, put it on the table on speaker mode also.  

Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  

It's like everyone always says that you shouldn't take a picture with an iPad because .... ?  

Well, they never really say why, just that it "isn't done," or some such thing.  

Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  

If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  

I bet half the people that think of these as not "real" or "proper" phones probably have that old-timey 'ringing phone' ringtone on theirs and think that's cool also.  :-/

post #23 of 225

Well, so cool is has different options in the market and the final customer has the final decision... and not what Steve Jobs wanted.

Sorry for you Girls´ little hands...

BTW, Steve Jobs has to be really mad in his iTomb just knowing Mr. Coke wants put in the market a "perfect" 7" tablet.

post #24 of 225

I'm not quoting it because that just perpetuates it, but this are some seriously offensive, racist/sexist comments here based on probably no actual information when it comes right down to it.  

I reported it and encourage the moderators to send you out to pasture for a few days.  

I know from reading the forum a lot that you are an older person with some seriously old-fashioned ideas and that you probably don't mean anything by this but seriously, if you can't behave in public, maybe it's time to stay in your room and not be commenting on teh internets?

post #25 of 225

Jeez Louise! There's someone in my office with the Note, and it is really uncomfortable to use as a phone. And I have large hands! The Note II reminds me of something my 10 y/o watches on Nickelodeon, Victorious. This is a photo of someone using the PearPad 1:

RobbiePearPad.jpg

--DotComCTO

post #26 of 225

Hmmm in 10 years it will be 40 inches with a small nuclear reactor... samsung really don`t know about power management... watch my phone! it has 32 cores at 5.6 Ghz 40 inch screen with full HD 1 Tb of RAM and battery last incredible 30 minutes of stand-by because it`s 112 Ah ! 

The marketing that is pushing clock speed and number cores of today mobile phones to sky heights is also pushing screen sizes to incredible levels, cause samsung and others can`t fit a bigger batteries there... seriously did you think samsung or HTC or LG or huawei can fit a 1420 mAh battery inside phone of size and thickness of iPhone without change 1.5 milimeters thick glass on the back for super thin flexible plastic ?

Edited by jusephe - 7/6/12 at 9:16am
post #27 of 225

I'm disappointed that somebody decided to remove my factual post, which was backed up by factual evidence. And it's also quite sad that some people object to reality, facts and have no sense of humor.

But that's ok, because I know exactly what I'll think whenever I see somebody with those ridiculously large sized phones.

post #28 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

BTW, Steve Jobs has to be really mad in his iTomb just knowing Mr. Coke wants put in the market a "perfect" 7" tablet.

You really think that I mediately after Steve's death everyone at Apple started working on a 7" from scratch so that they could have it ready a year later? If you believe that then you have failed to comprehend so many basic concepts.

post #29 of 225
I think we're on track for a 7" phone by next year.

I'm not against it, but it requires a very different usage model, with a wireless headset. Holding a phone up to one's face is an idea that can go away. Basically, your tablet could get phone connectivity and thus no longer need to carry a tablet and a phone. If you take your tablet and phone everywhere, then this is a net negative burden.
post #30 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/151132/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-rumored-to-get-even-bigger-with-5-5-display#post_2141668"]I'm disappointed that somebody decided to remove my factual post, which was backed up by factual evidence. And it's also quite sad that some people object to reality, facts and have no sense of humor.

I'm disappointed you thought it was okay to post in the first place.

post #31 of 225
Hm, an old German idiom for 'being slow on the uptake' I never understood is 'ein Brett vor dem Kopf haben' (to have a plank in front of the head)...

It starts to make some sense now...
post #32 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm disappointed you thought it was okay to post in the first place.

If I thought that it was going to be removed, then I obviously wouldn't have posted it in the first place. But, it's not that big of a deal, it only took me a few minutes to write.

post #33 of 225

I guess the old Motorolas were 20 years ahead of their time.

motorola-dynatac-8000x-1987.jpg

post #34 of 225

Well done Samsung. I wouldn't want a device of this form factor - even an iOS one, but it appears that it suits some people. This is the advantage of more vendors for Android - more choice of devices. But prominent amongst the questions you have to ask against it, is how many developers are optimising Apps for the screen-space.

post #35 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  

Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  

If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  

Like the comments regarding convention, but I think that a 7" iPad might be a little too big to be a good phone. At least with the 5.5" Note you can still rather easily hold it in one hand near your face and do the speakerphone thing. The pad's size and weight would make doing that for any length of time fairly uncomfortable, and awkward if you need to talk to someone and you're engaged in some other activity.

post #36 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

The perfect size for a smartphone is up to 4 inches. If you can’t operate it with one hand it’s not a phone anymore, it’s just some device with phone capabilities.

You nailed it.  Even 4 inches will not work for those with small hands, but 3.5 inches works for most everyone.

Has anyone talked to any app developers, who must be tearing their respective hairs out trying to match the graphics of each game to each device - sheesh.

post #37 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

HAHA wholly shait! It reminds of of when insecure, tiny men buy Hummers. LOL! Samsung doesn't know what else to do, copied everything they could out of Apple.

You mean copy the rumors.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #38 of 225

200px-Portable_radio_SCR536.jpg

In Honor of our troops on July 4th - What's that you say, no more Walkie Talkies -- let them eat Galaxy Notes !

post #39 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Like the comments regarding convention, but I think that a 7" iPad might be a little too big to be a good phone. At least with the 5.5" Note you can still rather easily hold it in one hand near your face and do the speakerphone thing. The pad's size and weight would make doing that for any length of time fairly uncomfortable, and awkward if you need to talk to someone and you're engaged in some other activity.

In regards phones, I'm kind of in the same camp. I just wanted to point out the obvious bias in the remarks being made, and the lack of any real factual basis for them.  Different strokes for different folks etc. 

I have used the iPad for a camera though and I must say it's just so good, that it kind of disappoints me that (so far) I kind of have to do it in secret so as not to be ridiculed.  I'm not sure I get why having a super large, super excellent, viewfinder for your camera is supposed to be "dumb." It really makes setting up the shot a lot easier and it's so WYSIWYG it's insane. 

post #40 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You really think that I mediately after Steve's death everyone at Apple started working on a 7" from scratch so that they could have it ready a year later? If you believe that then you have failed to comprehend so many basic concepts.

Jumping in here, but yes, I think Apple has many, many, many prototypes of potential devices sitting in their labs. 5" Touches, 4" iPhones, 14" iPads, and yes, 7" iPads. And once the design is stable, it's just a matter of sourcing the parts and hiring one of their "turn on a dime" manufacturing partners.

You might also note that Steve was against quite a few things (like iTunes for Windows) but was later convinced that Apple needed to do them. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display